PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I'm not the only one that's angry about this.

Skylar1
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
So, last night Scott Brown stole the Senate seat that was previously held by the late Ted Kennedy for the past 40 something years. Thus breaking the 60 seat super-majority that is required to end a filibuster. Meaning that Health Care reform- One of Ted Kennedy most desired pieces of legislation is now all but dead, unless democrats find a why to back-ally the bill somehow.

This seriously made me LIVID with anger.

Edit:
The implications of this are very imporatant to remember, because now Obamas agenda will be stalled- making his Administration look worse if he fails to find more middle ground with legislation. Meaning that in November, Dems are going to have a tough time with elections.

DOOM!
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm kinda too busy to look into it right now, what's it about? Football?

Seņor Nobody
01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Please keep in mind that this special election in MA only filled the U.S. Senate seat until 2012.

Trust me; if Scott Brown does not tow the line, we will replace him just as fast as we elected him

Aizmov
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
LOL
and the Dems actually thought such a thing would pass.

xXPainful SmilexX
01-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I was hopeful we would get the health care reform. I'm happy he was elected.

Gjallarhorn
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
So, last night Scott Brown stole the Senate seat that was previously held by the late Ted Kennedy for the past 40 something years. Thus breaking the 60 seat super-majority that is required to end a filibuster. Meaning that Health Care reform- One of Ted Kennedy most desired pieces of legislation is now all but dead, unless democrats find a why to back-ally the bill somehow.

Edit:
The implications of this are very imporatant to remember, because now Obamas agenda will be stalled- making his Administration look worse if he fails to find more middle ground with legislation. Meaning that in November, Dems are going to have a tough time with elections.

I believe by "stole" you mean "was democratically elected by the residents of Massachusetts".

I do agree the bill needs to die. What they should do is start from the beginning again, and have a real discussion beyond "well this is what we want to do and we're going to force it through whether you agree or disagree, but it'd be golly gee nice of you if you agreed". But, hey, we here in Massachusetts have Romneycare, which has worked great and has a 8/10 public approval rating.

Also, Coakley ran a horrid campaign and took the voters of Massachusetts for granted.

That being said, unlike what the national media are raving about for ratings, this wasn't a referendum against Obama. In fact, it wasn't even really a show of support for Brown, or for the Republicans. It was a royal "screw off" to Martha Coakley, and little more. If she'd run a proper campaign, like she should have, I guarantee you she'd have won by 10-20 points. The only people who don't understand this are the people from outside MA.

Skylar1
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I believe by "stole" you mean "was democratically elected by the residents of Massachusetts".
Just my emotions talking

I do agree the bill needs to die. What they should do is start from the beginning again, and have a real discussion beyond "well this is what we want to do and we're going to force it through whether you agree or disagree, but it'd be golly gee nice of you if you agreed". But, hey, we here in Massachusetts have Romneycare, which has worked great and has a 8/10 public approval rating. But republicans didn't want ANY health care reform period, and only decided to say they wanted something after a lot of arm twisting.

Also, Coakley ran a horrid campaign and took the voters of Massachusetts for granted.No arguement there.

That being said, unlike what the national media are raving about for ratings, this wasn't a referendum against Obama. In fact, it wasn't even really a show of support for Brown, or for the Republicans. It was a royal "screw off" to Martha Coakley, and little more. If she'd run a proper campaign, like she should have, I guarantee you she'd have won by 10-20 points. The only people who don't understand this are the people from outside MA.Regardless, it still broke the super-majority. Which upsets me a little more than just the silly health care bill. (Seriously, that thing had to be the most watered down bill I've ever seen).

You may be right that we should start over, but that puts dems in a even tougher spot because it makes them look ever MORE like they don't know what they're doing, which ok, to some degree I'll agree on that.

Vintniv
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Look at the bright side, we still have the regular health care system that has been ruling out lives for centuries:

"Try as hard as you possibly can not to get sick; and if you do get sick, try to die as fast as you possibly can."

Oh Politics, how you amuse me so.

Anime Forum
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Your not the only one. This made the miz very angry and I decided too turn the dang television off. I'm not, and forever won't be a fan of Scott Brown. Ug, not too mention that I'm from Massachusetts e-e.

Forgotten Show
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Edit:

You're funny, you know that? Have you been paying attention to what's going on in Massachusetts? Or in D.C.? To how the campaigns were run? To why people democratically elected Scott Brown?

Methinks people ought to stop screaming like kids with tantrums whenever someone of their chosen political party loses an election or a seat of power and start actually educating themselves on the political processes. Maybe, just maybe, they'll one day start voting for people who will actually do something instead of people who have a [D] or [R] following their names.

Bad Memory

Archaic Devices
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe, just maybe, they'll one day start voting for people who will actually do something instead of people who have a [D] or [R] following their names.

I agree 100% on that. Frankly considering who Brown was running against, I'm glad he won.

Anime Forum
01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
You're funny, you know that? Have you been paying attention to what's going on in Massachusetts? Or in D.C.? To how the campaigns were run? To why people democratically elected Scott Brown?

Methinks people ought to stop screaming like kids with tantrums whenever someone of their chosen political party loses an election or a seat of power and start actually educating themselves on the political processes. Maybe, just maybe, they'll one day start voting for people who will actually do something instead of people who have a [D] or [R] following their names.

Bad Memory

I agree to some extent with that, but I doubt Scott Brown is going to really make any kind of difference. Personally, and most of the kids from north reading and my friends think of Brown as a step backwards. Now, I could be fully wrong on that, but I'm from Massachusetts so I think my say is as good as any other individual's say. Other than that, your post is right on the money. Also, the president didn't wanted this guy to win neither, and I'm fully in with him. This guy effects my state, he better do it correctly and not be the step backwards I am thinking he will be.

Simon Phoenix
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
well i'm happy i don't have to see the politcal ads every 2 seconds,this was a horrible election, no the repubs with no idea want to Stall obama when they complained about the very same thing when the dems tried doing it.i don't see how you could be against universal health care unless you have some stake in medical insurance.these republicans got us into an unjust war in iraq and ruined our economy and yet ppl still vote them in, it's absolutly amazing to me.

-Batman-
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
So when can we expect the Jedi to be wiped out and the world to be united under one emperor?

Forgotten Show
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
no[w] the repubs with no idea want to Stall obama when they complained about the very same thing when the dems tried doing it.i don't see how you could be against universal health care unless you have some stake in medical insurance.these republicans got us into an unjust war in iraq and ruined our economy and yet ppl still vote them in, it's absolutly amazing to me.

http://images.tmuscle.com/forum_images/8/d/8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Bad Memory

Aki no iko
01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Nope, not angry at all. Speaking of which, I do not pay attention to it too much.

Cobra Commander
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
It wasn't stolen, it was the democratic process everyone is so fond of that bought the people of Massachusetts and Brown together. I'm glad he was elected. I don't want to see this bill pass. I don't want the government sticking its fingers in my wallet, or telling me I have to buy something. The government does not need any extra measures of control in our lives. We the People do not need to be "taken care of".

Anything that makes the Obama Adminstration look worse is just fine with me; I can't stand the guy, the party, or the retarded social agenda. Increasing the welfare burden does one thing - it drives the overall standard of living in this country down, because it winds up penalizing the most successful. As taxes go up, the middle class shrinks. That's how it works...liberals manufacture their own constituency, using bribery.

Some of you might think I'm a heartless prick. I'm fine with that, really.

Dreams
01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I say we should just make our health care plan like Canada's. Government organized. Giving the government too much power? I don't know. My health care sucks anyway, and my parents are paying what, $500 a month? It barely covers anything. Premium all right.

But we do need to reform our health care soon, or else health care is just going to usurp any remaining money we have left in this country.

Ah well, that's just my belief @_@

Gjallarhorn
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
But republicans didn't want ANY health care reform period, and only decided to say they wanted something after a lot of arm twisting.

Brown's policy was that he wanted to see the current bill dropped, and for congress to start anew, and this time actually create a reform bill that will satisfy more than Pelosi and Reed.

Ayame_Sohma
01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm really happy that Scott Brown won and the whole health care is put on the back burner, I do agree that we do need to fix the whole health care system but making it like Canada or England isn't the answer. My father has a hole in his heart and needed heart surgery and he had to wait 6months to get on the waiting list. in the end he got to go privately. And also fiscally irresponsible to the county.

Skylar1
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
You're funny, you know that?

I know I'm into politics, and really good with technology and things of that nature.

But honestly, ever since I was little, I've always wanted to be a comedian
Well, guess I'm atleast doing something right then.

Have you been paying attention to what's going on in Massachusetts?yup, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread.

Or in D.C.?All the time

To how the campaigns were run?Yeah, the coverage was pretty good.

To why people democratically elected Scott Brown?I get the idea.

Methinks people ought to stop screaming like kids with tantrums whenever someone of their chosen political party loses an election or a seat of power and start actually educating themselves on the political processes.Considering that I usually on average read 2-3 books on politics/political demographics/sociology every few months, and follow news and events as they happen, I find that statement somewhat offensive. I am learning, and there is no dobut in my mind that I still have a lot left to learn about government and politics.

Brown's policy was that he wanted to see the current bill dropped, and for congress to start anew, and this time actually create a reform bill that will satisfy more than Pelosi and Reed.If that does in fact happen, because republicans say that the current bill goes too far, they'll probably strip it down even more until it's virtually nothing. I don't really see excatly how much more from the current bill you can take away before it doesn't even really matter any more.