PDA

View Full Version : Green Day

Camisado
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Band: Green Day
Genre: Punk Rock/Pop Punk
Albums/Songs: You can find Green Day's discography here (http://greendayauthority.com/Discography/). It shows all 10 of their albums in order from when they came out, and it shows the track listing on each album.

Members:
Billie Joe Armstrong - Lead Singer/Guitarist
Mike Dirnt - Bassist (and sometimes Vocals)
Tré Cool - Drums

You can read their whole biography here (http://greendayauthority.com/TheBand/biography.php), if you want. It explains everything about them. :happy:

What are some of your favorite songs/albums from them? Have you seen them in concert? Discuss.

*Don't know if I made the thread right. I read the rules and all. Also, I searched, and the other threads about GD were closed.*

3pleT
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Decent band. Overrated by kids, underrated by almost everyone else.

Also, I think you should add pop punk to the genre description, or else you may offend certain people.

Camisado
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't consider them pop rock, but sure I'll add it.

*Tsuki*
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Green Day's okay.
Haven't seen them in concert,
but I listen to Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, and Wake me up When September ends every once in a while.

Of course, that's pretty much what they play on the radio.
Those and 21 Guns.

Gjallarhorn
01-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Pretty much was 3plet said. Okay, not great. The music is fun, but nothing really special, and often overly simplistic.

Loved them in the 90s, and I still love that old style. Nimrod is still my favorite GD album, "Brain Stew" my favorite GD song. American Idiot was pretty bland, but it had some okay songs. 21st Century Breakdown was very disappointing, and for all it's pretty words and melody, it had no soul.

Kaname Shikara
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I like Green Day ^-^

Camisado
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm in love with the album Warning. I love all the older albums better than the newer ones.

Riot11
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Band: Green Day
Genre: Punk Rock/Pop Rock
Albums/Songs: You can find Green Day's discography here (http://greendayauthority.com/Discography/). It shows all 10 of their albums in order from when they came out, and it shows the track listing on each album.

Members:
Billie Joe Armstrong - Lead Singer/Guitarist
Mike Dirnt - Bassist (and sometimes Vocals)
Tré Cool - Drums

You can read their whole biography here (http://greendayauthority.com/TheBand/biography.php), if you want. It explains everything about them. :happy:

What are some of your favorite songs/albums from them? Have you seen them in concert? Discuss.

*Don't know if I made the thread right. I read the rules and all. Also, I searched, and the other threads about GD were closed.*

Greenday isnt realy punk rock. you should change that.

Riot11
01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Green Day was good in the beginning, but the new albums all kinda suck.

01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Greenday isnt realy punk rock. you should change that.

Hmm i beg to differ with that statement. Green day were the pioneers of punk rock and actually started the whole punk rock phenomena.
And i agree with the others. A decent band, not a great band but not a terrible band. Like most bands, their earlier albums sounded better. Favorite songs basket case, jesus of suburbia, time of your life...the usual shebang. Never saw them live but i'll get a chance to because i got the tickets for their live concert tomorrow.

3pleT
01-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Hmm i beg to differ with that statement. Green day were the pioneers of punk rock and actually started the whole punk rock phenomena.
All right, now that I laughed it off, I can explain it to you: Green Day may be the pioneers of POP PUNK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk) (@ Camisado, I said pop punk, not pop rock, there's a big difference). Punk rock was popular back in the 70's, when Green Day were in their pre-school years.

Riot11, if Green Day's early works (before Dookie) weren't real punk, neither was anything The Clash ever released. The fact that even some of their songs are not lo-fi, it doesn't mean it's not punk. And no matter how much you criticize them, Green Day might just be the only remotely good pop punk band out there, and the only way for these kids to get into the real punk rock over time, so even though they totally dropped the ball with this last album, I view their existence as a positive thing.

Gero50
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't really have a favorite album by them though some of my favortie songs they've done are.
American idiot
I fought the Law
bullard of broken dreams
and a few others I can't think of right now.

01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
All right, now that I laughed it off, I can explain it to you: Green Day may be the pioneers of POP PUNK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_punk) (@ Camisado, I said pop punk, not pop rock, there's a big difference). Punk rock was popular back in the 70's, when Green Day were in their pre-school years.

You laughing at me you big meanie?
Yeah because i remembered reading somewhere which stated that Green day were the pioneers of punk rock but its punk pop and blink 182 and sum 41 were just imitators. Oh and i heard blink 182 got back together again?

Nyleo
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
They're okay as many others have stated already. They come up with some rather bland, and simple lyrics which I dislike.

Camisado
01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
(@ Camisado, I said pop punk, not pop rock, there's a big difference).

LOL I'm sorry, I read 'pop rock'. :laugh:

goldendreamer
02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
One of my favorite song is Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

NinnaHatake
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
East Jesus Nowhere is my sh*t!!!

Simon Phoenix
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Holiday and Boulevard of Broken dreams were my fav off of american idiot, but i've been listening since dookie.

Memento Mori
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
You laughing at me you big meanie?
Yeah because i remembered reading somewhere which stated that Green day were the pioneers of punk rock but its punk pop and blink 182 and sum 41 were just imitators. Oh and i heard blink 182 got back together again?

Um. No. Ever heard of a band called the Sex Pistols? Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees ring a bell? Or the Clash? Hell, even the freakin' Ramones. They are the real pioneers of what is considered punk today, though stuff that can be accepted as punk has been going on since the 50's.

Green Day is the 90's. Not the 50's. They are punk pop, not punk rock. As insignificant as it is to argue about, it's true.

(Also, Green Day is a great band to play at parties. Really fun music, especially stuff from the 90's. And yeah, overrated, but that doesn't mean they're totally awful.)

02-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Um. No. Ever heard of a band called the Sex Pistols? Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees ring a bell? Or the Clash? Hell, even the freakin' Ramones. They are the real pioneers of what is considered punk today, though stuff that can be accepted as punk has been going on since the 50's.

Green Day is the 90's. Not the 50's. They are punk pop, not punk rock. As insignificant as it is to argue about, it's true.

(Also, Green Day is a great band to play at parties. Really fun music, especially stuff from the 90's. And yeah, overrated, but that doesn't mean they're totally awful.)

Whoa okie i admit that i made a mistake. XD
I keep hearing about the ramones especially form beck but i haven't heard a song from them yet. Maybe i should take a listen. The ramones, rage against the machines, sex pistols, Earth wind and fire....

-GAZKUL-
02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
pretty good, lots of decent tracks but they still lack that certain something....

BryGuy
02-24-2010, 04:43 AM
One of the first bands I got into. I got into them in 2004 during the American Idiot craze, but I like Dookie and Nimrod the best. I use to have "Bullet In the Bible" which was a concert live cd from England. I like "Know Your Enemy" and "21 Guns" from 21st. But Nimrod is my all time favorite. Plus the song Brain Stew from Insomnia was the first song I learned on both guitar, bass, and drums.

Schindler
03-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Green Day is a good band. I prefer their old songs, such as "Holiday", "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", and "Basket Case". "21 Guns" is good as well. Just don't think their new songs are as good as their old music.

Salome
08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I love this rock band <3

BoldMushroom
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Whoa okie i admit that i made a mistake. XD
I keep hearing about the ramones especially form beck but i haven't heard a song from them yet. Maybe i should take a listen. The ramones, rage against the machines, sex pistols, Earth wind and fire....Whoa. Out of those bands, Ramones and Sex Pistols are the only two punk bands - the Ramones are arguably the first band of the "punk rock" movement, though many earlier artists (MC5, The Stooges, The Dictators, New York Dolls) are clear influences on the punk movement, and classic rock 'n roll from the '50s was hugely influential.

Rage Against The Machine, meanwhile, is funk- and rap-inspired metal from the '90s, and Earth, Wind & Fire is... I don't know, R&B/funk/soul? From the '70s, primarily.

As for Green Day - not a fan. Their '90s stuff is okay, but I get bored of it fast; American Idiot and 20th Century Breakdown, meanwhile, are just utterly terrible in my opinion. I'm not a fan of most punk bands from the '90s or later, though; I'm mostly a fan of protopunk from the '60s and '70s (MC5), the original punk rock movement (The Clash, Ramones, X, Wire), and '80s hardcore bands (Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Minutemen). There are plenty of punk-influenced artists I like, but that's a whole other topic, about which I could go on for paragraphs.

Brotha Yasuji
10-03-2010, 03:46 PM
*Sigh* Green Day, yet another band that sold out...

Their early Pop-Punk stuff was great, everyone talks about how everything after Dookie didn't make the top charts so they were not good anymore. Yet more idiots that only follow the Top 40.

But when they sold out with American Idiot I was heartbroken...

Basket Case>Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Minority>Know Your Enemy
Warning>21 Guns

Basicly Old Pop-Punk Green Day>Wannabe Emo (for the lack of a better term) Green Day.

I expect to be torn to shreds for this but I firmly stand beside my comment.

Aulos
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I haven't heard much of their new stuff (in other words, beyond American Idiot), but I think they're okay, not my favorite band but nowhere near the worst I've ever heard.

I really like Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) and Basketcase and listen to them all of the time.

Aleyna
01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I only really liked their song Holiday, because it was fun to dance to. :)

3pleT
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
*Sigh* Green Day, yet another band that sold out...

Their early Pop-Punk stuff was great, everyone talks about how everything after Dookie didn't make the top charts so they were not good anymore. Yet more idiots that only follow the Top 40.

But when they sold out with American Idiot I was heartbroken...
How the hell did they sell out with American Idiot? The fact that it actually had mainstream success surprised me, and it's one of their best albums since Dookie. It may be a bit different from their previous efforts, but I don't think selling out was their goal with that one. In fact, I find it much easier to imagine MTV playing songs from Warning.
Quality and mainstream success are not inversely proportional.

Basket Case>Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Minority>Know Your Enemy
Warning>21 Guns
First of all, Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns are both from 21st Century Breakdown, and I believe I already said what I think of that one.
Secondly, these songs you compared have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Thirdly, even if these two were from American Idiot, you only used three songs (and probably the most popular ones) to prove that it sucks. How about Extraordinary Girl? Or Letterbomb? Or Whatsername?
Also, if you want to pick the worst song from American Idiot, try Wake Me Up When September Ends.

No complaints about that wannabe emo comment. 21st Century Breakdown and their new looks back it up.

zekes
02-11-2011, 02:13 AM
I like their songs such as Boulevard of Broken dreams and Wake me up when September ends. Geez I love that band so much and I miss them as well.

YuriEcchiGirl
05-06-2011, 04:32 AM
My fave Green Day song is American Idiot ^^

Neji-Hyuuga5
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Greenday rocks. Not only i Love it i am a huge fan of them.

Norwegian Moose
10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't want to bump this thread just to be annoying, but I have to say: have you heard that Green Day is currently making new songs? One is apparently called Carpe Diem!

Can't wait~

And for you who say that they've gotten mainstream (I personally don't think so, but that's not something that I care to discuss), they're saying that they're going back to the basics!

Sizary Momo
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I love Green Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the song Green Day by Green
Day....sounds weird i know...

musicxlife
02-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Green Day is one of my all-time favorite bands!

I went to see them back in 2010, and it was amazing.
I fell even more in love with them. And last month, I went to see American Idiot the Broadway show & I adored it.

I find it amusing that people hate on American Idiot so much.
We all know that Boulevard of Broken Dreams, American Idiot, & Holiday were quite overplayed, but they do have other songs! I enjoy Letterbomb, Whatsername, & Jesus of Suburbia.
American Idiot aside, my favorite albums are Kerplunk! & Shenanigans.

The one ridiculous thing I hear about Green Day is that they are emo. Most say that because of Wake Me Up When September Ends. That song is written about Billie Joe's dad who died of cancer when he was 10, it couldn't possibly be a joyful tune. You can't expect every single song they write to be happy! -_-

Jasanime
02-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Pioneers of punk = Sex Pistols. But I am a fan of Greenday. I think 'Minority' would be one of my fave songs!

♫Sweet Girl♫
10-24-2019, 07:43 PM
I am huge fan of Green Day and my favorite song is Wake Me Up When September Ends.