PDA

View Full Version : Russia Rescues the Earth?

Simon Phoenix
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM

MOSCOW – Russia's space agency chief said Wednesday a spacecraft may be dispatched to knock a large asteroid off course and reduce the chances of earth impact, even though U.S. scientists say such a scenario is unlikely.
Anatoly Perminov told Golos Rossii radio the space agency would hold a meeting soon to assess a mission to Apophis. He said his agency might eventually invite NASA, the European Space Agency, the Chinese space agency and others to join the project.
When the 270-meter (885-foot) asteroid was first discovered in 2004, astronomers estimated its chances of smashing into Earth in its first flyby, in 2029, at 1-in-37.
Further studies have ruled out the possibility of an impact in 2029, when the asteroid is expected to come no closer than 18,300 miles (29,450 kilometers) from Earth's surface, but they indicated a small possibility of a hit on subsequent encounters.
NASA had put the chances that Apophis could hit Earth in 2036 as 1-in-45,000. In October, after researchers recalculated the asteroid's path, the agency changed its estimate to 1-in-250,000.
NASA said another close encounter in 2068 will involve a 1-in-330,000 chance of impact.
Don Yeomans, who heads NASA's Near-Earth Object Program, said better calculations of Apophis' path in several years "will almost certainly remove any possibility of an Earth collision" in 2036.
"While Apophis is almost certainly not a problem, I am encouraged that the Russian science community is willing to study the various deflection options that would be available in the event of a future Earth threatening encounter by an asteroid," Yeomans said in an e-mail Wednesday.
Without mentioning NASA's conclusions, Perminov said that he heard from a scientist that Apophis is getting closer and may hit the planet. "I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me it could hit the Earth by 2032," Perminov said.
"People's lives are at stake. We should pay several hundred million dollars and build a system that would allow us to prevent a collision, rather than sit and wait for it to happen and kill hundreds of thousands of people," Perminov said.
Scientists have long theorized about asteroid deflection strategies. Some have proposed sending a probe to circle around a dangerous asteroid to gradually change its trajectory. Others suggested sending a spacecraft to collide with the asteroid and alter its momentum, or hitting it with nuclear weapons.
Perminov wouldn't disclose any details of the project, saying they still need to be worked out. But he said the mission wouldn't require any nuclear explosions.
Hollywood action films "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon," have featured space missions scrambling to avoid catastrophic collisions. In both movies, space crews use nuclear bombs in an attempt to prevent collisions.
"Calculations show that it's possible to create a special purpose spacecraft within the time we have, which would help avoid the collision," Perminov said. "The threat of collision can be averted."
Boris Shustov, the director of the Institute of Astronomy under the Russian Academy of Sciences, hailed Perminov's statement as a signal that officials had come to recognize the danger posed by asteroids.
"Apophis is just a symbolic example, there are many other dangerous objects we know little about," he said, according to RIA Novosti news agency.
___
AP Science Writer Alicia Chang contributed to this story from Los Angeles

chad00031
01-04-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm praying for safety right now. You scared me :(

DOOM!
01-04-2010, 10:02 AM
We definetly need MP2K.

Skylar1
01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
The technology should be a lot better by then, so even if it does come a little too close for comfort, I'm not that worried.

ultra_maniac
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
in that case we definately need a better tech and we have got that much time so no worries

Eris
01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
This is really just to get around to develop a defense in case an asteroid is headed our way some time in the future, so that we have the technology when we need it, which is indeed a good idea, since unlike the Hollywood version of the scenario, these things take a lot of time to be developed, and you can't just hastily slap something together and expect it to work.

There is no real current threat from asteroids, and if they do decide to alter the orbit of Apophis, it'll be more like a practice run to test out the technology than an actual attempt to save the earth.

ultra_maniac
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
ya i probably guess so it will be run for their money for all the defenses and the government too it will be test of how much we can create in small amount of time well its nature after all anything can happen

_-Anonymous-_
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
we need an asteroid defense like space invaders >_<

Simon Phoenix
01-05-2010, 07:46 AM
we need an asteroid defense like space invaders >_<
lol

.Miki~
01-05-2010, 08:28 AM
eh, no asteroid is going to hit us, even if there was one on the way, it will be in like a hundred years and we would have knocked it away by then. so'z we is all good

Simon Phoenix
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
an asteroid can hit us anytime, we can only see a fraction of all the asteroids out there, nothing you can do if you find 1 2 days away.

ultra_maniac
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
eh, no asteroid is going to hit us, even if there was one on the way, it will be in like a hundred years and we would have knocked it away by then. so'z we is all good

i agree but we cannot predict accurately th time of it can change maybe change in course or something like that so then our defenses must be prepared

Simon Phoenix
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Russia's on the job apparently.

Aku no Hikari
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Why are you so afraid, peoples? If an asteroid would hit us, we'll just die. You don't have to worry about it.

Cobra Commander
01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Well, out of the whole world, if someone is thinking about it, and it's not the US, I guess Russia would be the next best choice.

Mr. Panda
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm sure by then we'll have some person like Superman to save us.

ultra_maniac
01-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I'm sure by then we'll have some person like Superman to save us.

maybe a son of god or avatar or someone like that

Simon Phoenix
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
the russians might just send Dolf Lundren to knock it into pieces

Eris
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
the russians might just send Dolf Lundren to knock it into pieces

Dolf is Swedish though.

Cobra Commander
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Dolph. With the "ph".

Eris
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Dolph. With the "ph".

Well, actually, it's Hans. But whatever rocks your boat.

Capernicus
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
It's funny how the OP, an American, seems surprised that a country other than America might save the earth. And even more surprised that the country is Russia. Truly James Bond did a good job.

Simon Phoenix
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Breaking News..............

Somolia Saves Earth

Eris
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Breaking News..............

Somolia Saves Earth

That's quite different. Russia has a lot of technological experience, especially so in space exploration. Old cold war propaganda has given a lot of people misconceptions about how technologically backwards the Soviets were. But in reality, technology wise they weren't really all that far behind -- if at all, they have quite an impressive list of "firsts" in space, including the first space station.

Simon Phoenix
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
also the first person in space i think.

Eris
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
also the first person in space i think.

First man made satellite (Sputnik I)
First animal in space (Laika)
First man in space (Yuri Gagarin)
First unmanned mission to the moon,
First lunar rover (This was in the early '70s, and they did basically the same things as the mars rovers do now, except they were obviously quite a lot bulkier),
First space station (Mir)

Simon Phoenix
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
First man made satellite (Sputnik I)
First animal in space (Laika)
First man in space (Yuri Gagarin)
First unmanned mission to the moon,
First lunar rover (This was in the early '70s, and they did basically the same things as the mars rovers do now, except they were obviously quite a lot bulkier),
First space station (Mir)
they make 1 hell of a good vodka too.

Primarch Lorgar
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
an asteroid can hit us anytime, we can only see a fraction of all the asteroids out there, nothing you can do if you find 1 2 days away.

You're not being serious with this statement are you?

In any case, long live the union!

Dr. Evil
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Russia's on the job apparently.
Sleep tight America xD

Anyway, the Earth is safe from asteroid collisions I believe. We have the tech. to secure our safety

Eris
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Anyway, the Earth is safe from asteroid collisions I believe. We have the tech. to secure our safety

Uh, no we don't. That's exactly what Russia is developing.

The Hollywood notion that you can blow them up with nukes is absolutely ridiculous: Not only are nukes in space a lot weaker than they are in atmosphere, if the asteroid would break into pieces, we'd be up to our necks in guano. An asteroid that would normally "just" obliterate a small country when intact (like the one that killed the dinosaurs), when split into fragments, could easily obliterate a continent.

Forgotten Show
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Considering how much of a rock or rocky-metal entering our atmosphere is lost via ablation, it's not all that silly of an idea depending on the size of the asteroid in question.

Bad Memory

Wolfie Poo
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Before anything else - Russia should call in Bruce Willis. B]

Eris
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Considering how much of a rock or rocky-metal entering our atmosphere is lost via ablation, it's not all that silly of an idea depending on the size of the asteroid in question.

Yes, yes it is a very silly idea. Fragmented asteroids do more damage than intact ones. It has to do with surface to volume ratio. A fragmented asteroid has more surface. The surface to volume ratio decides how much energy is going to be pounded relatively harmlessly into the ground (melting sand to glass and kicking up dust and whatnot), and how much of it is going to go into a large pressure wave, irradiated heat and so forth.

Okay, say you have a cube where all sides have length a. It has a surface area of 6a^2. Now, grab a knife and chop it into smaller cubes with sides half the length. You'll get 8 of them (just draw a diagram and it'll be instantly obvious why). Now, these cubes all have surface area 6(a/2)^2. For a combined surface area of 12a^2. So, by dividing the cube into smaller cubes, you've doubled their surface area.

Now obviously, something large enough to leave a crater the size of a small country is going to be possible to split into quite a large number of smaller asteroid fragments that would still make it to the surface. Most of them causing a blast the size of a small atomic bomb (which is a relatively tiny blast, compared to an intact asteroid). And instead of being confined to just one spot, they'd most likely blanket an area the size of a continent. Oh, and there's no telling -which- part of the world would be hit.

Simon Phoenix
01-08-2010, 07:00 AM
You're not being serious with this statement are you?

In any case, long live the union!
um yea, do you think we see every asteroid?you can't be serious if you think that, and were is this blowing it up notion coming from?first of all you would have to get a nuke to the asteroid which isn't as easy as it sounds than you would have to detonate it near the asteroid but far away enough that it dosen't damage the asteroid it just changes it's directory a lil bit,you can't blow up an asteroid of a size that would harm this planet, it's too big going too fast, and don't give me that deep impact armageddon crap, you can't nland on an asteroid, dig and put nukes in them, i highly doubt asteroids have that much gravity, nevermind the constant spining at how ever many thousands of miles an hour.