PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Vista] No speakers?

Bulf
12-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Yeah, every time I turn my computer on it says I don't have any speakers installed, but the speakers are built in. It's just started happening recently, and I have no clue D:

Ashminigun
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
What kind of computer are you using right now?

If it's a laptop, I've suspect that your Windows Update recently update your sound driver or your sound peripherals driver. Try rolling it back to see if it works.

If it's a desktop, you either try above method or check your speaker connection on the mainboard. It might be loose or something.

Bulf
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
What kind of computer are you using right now?

If it's a laptop, I've suspect that your Windows Update recently update your sound driver or your sound peripherals driver. Try rolling it back to see if it works.

If it's a desktop, you either try above method or check your speaker connection on the mainboard. It might be loose or something.

An HP Pavillion dv200
It did just recently update, so how do I roll it back?
Edit: whenever I go to my updates, it says the page failed to load D:

wizz-o-matic
12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Edit: whenever I go to my updates, it says the page failed to load D:
sounds like a virus to me ...

RenegadeC4v
12-29-2009, 03:09 PM
In the start menu, type in sound in the search bar then click on sound. From there, go to speakers>properties>driver tab> rollback driver

Bulf
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
sounds like a virus to me ...
I don't know how or when I would've gotten one, but that's always a possibility. Avast's boot scan never found anything either.

In the start menu, type in sound in the search bar then click on sound. From there, go to speakers>properties>driver tab> rollback driver
When I go to sound, it doesn't have any speakers listed D:

RenegadeC4v
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't know how or when I would've gotten one, but that's always a possibility. Avast's boot scan never found anything either.

When I go to sound, it doesn't have any speakers listed D:

Well try this one. In the start menu search bar, type in device manager, go there and then double click on "sound video and game controllers". Whatever audio device you're using should show up. Right click on it and it should say either enable or disable. If it says enable, click on it and it should start working again. If its already enabled then go down to properties>driver tab>rollback driver

Bulf
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Well try this one. In the start menu search bar, type in device manager, go there and then double click on "sound video and game controllers". Whatever audio device you're using should show up. Right click on it and it should say either enable or disable. If it says enable, click on it and it should start working again. If its already enabled then go down to properties>driver tab>rollback driver

Sound, Video, and game controllers isn't there...
Edit: after the boot-scan, it said 0 files infected. I tried updating my divers, and googling pretty much everything D:

RenegadeC4v
12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
That is weird. Maybe you should do a system restore. Just pick a restore point on a date when your speakers were working. That may fix it

Bulf
12-31-2009, 04:08 AM
...they just randomly started working. So should I do anything to make sure they keep working? Or just leave them as is?

Ashminigun
12-31-2009, 05:11 AM
Leave it as it. You'll might consider to reformat the OS. If the problem persist after that, maybe it finally shows its wear and tear.

Gero50
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree with The La La Man on this because if some things like devices are not even showing up it could be a virus. Though ods are it is a corupt aduio driver. Reformating your Disk drive with a fresh install of windows might just fix it. Otherwise go and try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling if the issue happens again. Though the others said just keep it as is until the issue happens again.

RenegadeC4v
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Did your computer start working again like right after you restarted it? If so, not restarting the computer after doing those updates was probably the problem

Bulf
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
I shut it down earlier, and they stopped working again, but I shut it down again about an hour later and now it works again....I'm terribly confused D:

Diocletian
12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
This happens a lot to me, but I have a Toshiba. I think it's a matter of chance. Sometimes they show, sometimes they don't. If they don't show, just shut it down and turn it on again. You can however still change them manually by going to the control panel I assume. I hope your speakers icon shows!

Bulf
01-05-2010, 04:53 AM
I give up. I've tried just about everything, even calling HP and nothing works. If my sound happens to work again, then I'll just leave it on.

Khanxay
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Hmm... Try going to system infomation (Using the Run Command: System Info) go to the hardware section and see if anything is there.

Bulf
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Hmm... Try going to system infomation (Using the Run Command: System Info) go to the hardware section and see if anything is there.

I see something that says Sound.drv, I don't know what any of that does though D:

Khanxay
01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I see something that says Sound.drv, I don't know what any of that does though D:
That's it? No actual part names or anything? I mean, if you can get the name of the sound card or something, we can search for drivers online.

Bulf
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
That's it? No actual part names or anything? I mean, if you can get the name of the sound card or something, we can search for drivers online.
I didn't see any
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6508/53763277.png
I don't even have a Sound, Video, and Game Controllers tab in device manager
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4444/44277790.png

Alias-Revolution
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Your best bet is to go to the HP website, select your model, find the audio driver, download it, and re-install it.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_pagetype=s-002&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_query=Pavillion+dv2000

Click your model

Click your OS

Download Audio driver (Save, not run)

Run the program

Enjoy

Bulf
01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Your best bet is to go to the HP website, select your model, find the audio driver, download it, and re-install it.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_pagetype=s-002&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_query=Pavillion+dv2000

Click your model

Click your OS

Download Audio driver (Save, not run)

Run the program

Enjoy

I tried that already. After I try and reinstall it, it says "Cannot find the media device for this driver".