PDA

View Full Version : Anime Clubs

Fencedingates
12-24-2009, 12:20 AM
(First , I honestly don't know where this thread should go)

Hey! I was all wondering if any of you are in a local anime club.

I have been recently think about starting one in my town.. and I kinda seeking advice on how anime clubs are run and what kind of schedule do they work off of. Also if you aren't part of a club .. just suggest some activity that a club could do.

SO if you can help me out and give me some pointers that would help out alot! THANKS :D

Velvet_Nightmare
12-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm in one at my college. We just recently started going to events. We went and saw Rebuild of Evangelion in theaters and had dinner at a Japanese restaurant. Our meetings are pretty straight-foward. The anime has been pre-determined and screened by the officers, although members are free to make suggestions. Meetings usually last about two hours, with the first 30 minutes being used to say news and happenings, as well as introducing the anime for the night.

Diocletian
12-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Please don't show them all the mainstream shows. That's stuff they can see on their own. I'd be more than happy to provide you with a list of anime that have some weight to them. Show them the first OVA ever made, Dallos, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, a little bit of Hajime no Ippo. Basically stuff they won't watch on their own.

*Tsuki*
12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
^ Agreed.

I'm one of the presidents at manga club for my school,
and most of the people are just there because they want to see more Bleach or Naruto stuff.
We often takes little tests to see if they recognize a certain manga or anime. . . the often know ten of them out of forty (or something like that).

We also have drawing contests. Well, one per year at least.
The presidents before us had a cosplay contest and had a comic book drawer come in and create a manga with the members.

Diocletian
12-24-2009, 01:51 PM
You should try joining up to do a panel at an anime con. It helps unify the people in the club and share knowledge. Make sure it's something you're passionate about. Don't do a mecha panel if you know nothing about it.

Fencedingates
12-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Please don't show them all the mainstream shows. That's stuff they can see on their own. I'd be more than happy to provide you with a list of anime that have some weight to them. Show them the first OVA ever made, Dallos, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, a little bit of Hajime no Ippo. Basically stuff they won't watch on their own.

OH Yes! ... I already built a small list of what I plan to show for the first couple of meetings .. most of it is fansub stuff for now. Could you help me out and pm me a list that you could suggest :D

Thanks for the help :D you guys are giving me some ideas !

Gero50
12-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Of all the ideas I just read so for in this thread the con suggestion seems to be the best way to get anything like that promoted. But as for starting a local club it can be tricky cause if you're not having a school or a con center give you space you'll need to either rent or buy space in a building which can be kinda exspencive. Then you need to come up with interesting and unique activities for your members. The key to that is look around the net and just around your town and see what has already been done. Then make something up based on that. Some examples of fun things you might do could be.
Scaning and coloring manga I always find this to be rather fun myself.
You could have a night of the week where diferent people bring anime to watch. You might also try apealing to a more wide spread croud by maybe having other things like video games that are anime based or anime style based graphical designs like the Tails series for example.

Those are just a few things I have seen done in clubs, I am currentlly not a member of any but I still know a bit. So any other questions just PM me amd I can help with more ideas.
Good luck with the whole thing ^^

blueangel06661
12-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Also as a fair warning otaku can tend to be very lazy. At my high school club AND at the college clubs many thing have not been done due to lack of effort. Two years a friend and myself had issues getting stuff done in the clubs. Also find out what people are good at and create events around that so that everyone is happy. And maybe learn how to create more traditional Japanese styled dishes. This is fun, but usually requires a kitchen.

Alphabet
12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I barely joined anime club at my school a few weeks ago.
One of our members suggested we get "more interactive." We only meet once a week, and our plans seem to consist of:
Watching anime series
Tutorials
Trying to get more people in our school involved
I don't know what else because it didn't interest me as much as my boyfriend -.-
The week we come back from christmas break, I'm supposed to host a tutorial on how to draw manga/anime.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

Fencedingates
12-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks ALOT guys :D *HUGS*