PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Chinese Box Sets - That still provide English dialogue.

yodnnee
12-17-2009, 04:55 AM
There's a shop I know, which sells Chinese Anime Box Sets. They, unlike there US counterparts are Region Free whilst still having English as a listed dialogue language (along with Chinese). They are also much cheaper.

However the shop's far away and doesn't stock everything.

Does anyone know where this shop would source these DVDs from?
Or alternatively a website which would also stock them.
Or any info relating to this topic?

I'd really love to get my hands on some Box Sets he doesn't stock, that i've previously only been able to find US (Region STUPID! 1) copies of.

Thanks,
Ben

Ryuuzaki HD
12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
China is known for pirate DVDs so they are likely fake if they are so cheap, your better off with a region free DVD player.

Doom85
12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Anime DVDs being region-free mean they are bootlegs 99.99% of the time. Please don't buy those. If you're not going to buy the official releases and put money back into the actual anime system, at least just download everything for free instead of handing money over to bootleggers (AKA criminals).

The Grey Crane
12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
If they're too cheap they're most likely bootlegs.

Anyway, what was said by the two posters before me are true.

You see, those chinese box sets are very, very cheap but as far as quality is concerned I say you're gonna be doing a gamble for your money and efforts. Not saying that the chinese can't speak no english, but the way these products are translated are really ridiculous. It isn't just about bad english, talk about Naruto having subtitles that are obviously meant for another show. That's how bad it could get, maybe even worse.

How about voices/speech coming 5-10 seconds after the character supposedly opened his/her mouth to say it? Bad picture quality? Or the video lagging?

Another common problem of these box sets are the awfully distributed episodes. I mean for example you have three discs containing 30 episodes of a single series, in disc 1 of course you'll be seeing the first episode. But in a lot of cases the next episode is on the other discs, to make it even worse, the episode after that would be on another, and so on. See what I mean?

I say reconsider...

Doom85
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Grey Crane: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anime-news-nina/23570/comic-35.jpg

Nuff said, am I right? ;)

The Grey Crane
12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Doom85: Haha, exactly, that pretty much sums it up.

So yodnnee, I say RECONSIDER...

yodnnee
12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I considered that, and I'm definitely not one for bootlegging.

BUT they do come in really nice boxes, not just paper-slips, the discs are printed on, not just written on with a black marker, and they are perfect as far as video and sound quality goes.

I probably should have been more specific, they're not the usual bootleg "$5 dollar a disk" cheap, that you see at market stalls. They are all over $50 a Box Set from memory, which is comparatively cheaper than $80-$90 for US imports.

But, yeah, I guess bootlegging is always a possibility, no matter how nice it looks.

ANYWAY I was more interested in them because they all seemed to be Region 0, or "ALL" Region, whilst still having English dialogue.

The price doesn't concern me, Amazon has lots of legit stuff just as cheap anyway.

O-well, thanks anyway.

Gjallarhorn
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
You could just buy a region-free DVD player...they'll play DVDs from any region setting.

The Grey Crane
12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
BUT they do come in really nice boxes, not just paper-slips, the discs are printed on, not just written on with a black marker, and they are perfect as far as video and sound quality goes.

I probably should have been more specific, they're not the usual bootleg "$5 dollar a disk" cheap, that you see at market stalls. They are all over $50 a Box Set from memory, which is comparatively cheaper than $80-$90 for US imports.

But, yeah, I guess bootlegging is always a possibility, no matter how nice it looks.

I, for a fact, know the territory very very very well. I may have come clean now but I bought bootlegs when I was younger and obviously immature. Almost every busy corner of my country has bootlegs being sold, and it's gotten worse now. So...

Now, do not fall for those nice packaging, the prettier the bootlegs are, the richer and bigger the criminals behind it are too. For the untrained eye, some bootlegs' packagings are really enticing, add along the relatively low price. Yes there are better bootlegs when it comes to the technical aspects, just as good as their original counterparts, but hey they're bootlegs nonetheless. Will you try to justify? Well, that's up to you...

As for the prices, bootlegs don't come in same prices, here in my country they are usually less than a dollar (USD) cheap but they can go way up as well depending on the quality of the packaging. I'm not gonna jump into the conclusion that the shop you're talking about IS INDEED selling bootlegs, but I'm very skeptical.

-Batman-
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
China is known for pirate DVDs so they are likely fake if they are so cheap

Fake and Poor Quality are two completly diffrent things btw.

Diocletian
12-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Just to point it out there, bootleggers are very bad people. Especially from China. There is usually a group of triads pushing the product behind it. Not just anime though, I remember ordering a CD from a chinese eBay person and I could tell it was sweatshop material. Not even as good as the stuff from a San Francisco sweatshop.