PDA

View Full Version : Borders is closing down

TheSplundPopper
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Anybody else heard about this?
It was a pretty good company now it is soon to be gone. The one I live near had a pretty good Manga section. It's Anime section used to be good but then they made it part of the world cinema and only put like 2 Anime DVDs in it.
Bad news for anyone who has a voucher, they will accept but you need to pay the same amount in cash that you would pay with the voucher. With the closing down sale on a voucher may help if you plan to buy a few volumes of Manga but otherwise it is annoying.

Diocletian
12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Is it all of them? I heard it was only B. Dalton, which is a division of it. It really sucks, man. It's all of those stupid kids that sit there and read books instead of buying them's fault. I really hope that they find a way to get out of the gutter before it's final. There are a few companies that can make it before they get out.

Archaic Devices
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Well thankfully the borders in my town isnt closing. Oh and in case you're wondering if it's closing in your town:
http://media.bordersstores.com/content/mediarelations/BSRClosinglist.pdf

TheSplundPopper
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I thought it was all. They are in administration.
I heard some might get taken over.

Gjallarhorn
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Damn it! The one in my town is closing. :(

It's all of those stupid kids that sit there and read books instead of buying them's fault.

I went to my local one yesterday to pick up the new volume of SZS, and there was 6 kids just standing/sitting there in the isle reading the manga. 3 reading Naruto, one reading Rosario+Vampire, one reading Ichigo 100%, and one girl who'd torn open the plastic wrapping to read some yaoi.

I hate those kids. But the stores never do anything about them.

The manga section grew exponentially between about 2000 and 2006, but with the higher rate of piracy and lack of people buying, it's steadily declined to about half the size it was in 2006...and it's all Naruto, Bleach, Fruits Basket, generic shoujo manga, and yaoi.

Also, I got carded when I bought the SZS volume. The hell?
1. It's SZS. The worst thing that happens is the main character running around with a noose around his neck!
2. I look damn older than 18...because...well...I am.
On a related note, I was never carded for buying Saikano when I was 15, or Ghost in the Shell when I was 16, or Sundome recently. Serious fail there.

Diocletian
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I would at least look it over if it was good stuff. If I see a kid reading Apollo's Song, I might even offer to buy it for him or her. If I see a kid reading something that has little to no literary value, I just laugh and realize they're going to look back and say "I wasted my teenage years doing this?"

I bought volume four yesterday too. I walked out sad, because I knew it might be my last.

ZenErik
12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I work at Barnes & Noble, so whatever. :p

Looks like it's mostly Walden Books. What's Borders Express? Some smaller form of Borders?

Diocletian
12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
On a related note, I was never carded for buying Saikano when I was 15, or Ghost in the Shell when I was 16, or Sundome recently. Serious fail there.

They didn't let me buy Open Skies, Closed Minds (a really crappy book about aliens) but they let me buy Golgo 13. I don't have a Borders near me, but there's one in Santa Cruz, so it's not a huge blow to me. My B. Dalton is going to close by January so I'm going to buy every single manga and book I can get my hands on.

Seņor Nobody
12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
It's all of those stupid kids that sit there and read books instead of buying them's fault.

It happens at the Barnes and Noble I work at too.

Negi
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM
The one in my home town isnt closing, but the one in my college town is. I just dont want to have to drive to the next biggest city to go get a few wanted books.

Shwayze
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Im glad the Borders in my state arent closing. :)

But that sucks for the ones that are closing. :(

*Tsuki*
12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
hmm . . . I'm not sure if there's one nearby closing.
If it is, I couldn't tell. The only thing nearby is Barnes and Noble.

OminousCloud
12-07-2009, 02:41 AM
That is a lot of stores closing down! I get my manga from Kinokuniya and I admit that I do read manga in the store, but it's usually a first volume of something I've been wanting to check out but haven't.

Also, I got carded when I bought the SZS volume. The hell?
1. It's SZS. The worst thing that happens is the main character running around with a noose around his neck!
2. I look damn older than 18...because...well...I am.

The person at the register probably wanted to oggle your name to stalk you on facebook later =D It's not everyday you see Jesus buying manga.

AznOtaku
12-07-2009, 04:04 AM
That really sucks. Despite my living in Taiwan, I'm an ABC and I can't read much Chinese and I have to rely on my annual trips to the States to purchase English manga.

Now that Borders is closing down in various locations, what am I supposed to do?! Stick to scans? (Rhetorical question, don't answer)

By the way, who would spend their time reading Rosario + Vampire? What a waste.

ZenErik
12-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Go to an anime/manga specialty store or to Barnes & Noble.