PDA

View Full Version : Any one good with Kanji? I need help!!!

HappyDuck
11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Hey I was hoping that someone would be able to help me finish the lyrics to the opening theme to Taiko Drum Master for the PS2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_riae5kuGz0&feature=related ). The video has the Japanese lyrics at the bottom of it. I had to do some guessing so please correct me. Here's what I have:

Suru to ame ga yandara Nichiyoubi!
Boku to kimi no Nichiyoubi
Michi no mandaka aruite detakeyo
Boku to kimi no ashi o to haneru

Ahhh
Kimi wo mite iru dakede
Ahhh
Boku no dokoro wa taiko samurai

Suki nan da yo
Zettai zettai zettai ne
Haapi o kito tara kakkoii nette iwarete Haapii

Suki nan da yo
Yappari yappari yappari ne
Chaanto te o warei na yotte warare temo
Haapii

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

EJTranslations
11-19-2009, 12:12 AM
>Suru to
tsuru tto

>mandaka
mannaka

>detakeyo
dekakeyou

>ashi o to
ashioto

>dokoro
kokoro

>Haapi o kito tara
happi o kitara

>Haapii
HAPPII

>Chaanto
chanto

>warei na
araina

>warare temo
okorarete mo

>Haapii
HAPPII

Personally, I suggest brushing up on your hiragana and katakana and learning to look up kanji by radical rather than guessing based on what you hear when you're not sure. I mean, if you think about it, mishearing song lyrics that are in one's own native language is such a common phenomenon that there's an entire site (http://kissthisguy.com/) devoted to especially funny instances. How much more difficult would it be to accurately transcribe lyrics in a language that you don't know very well?

HappyDuck
11-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't think that it's that big of a deal to guess. My computer can't handle the kanji websites because it's an old work place computer. That's why I asked here. Thanks for the help!

EJTranslations
11-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, it's "not that big of a deal" inasmuch as the world's not going to end if you have incorrect lyrics to some song from a silly Japanese video game, yeah. It's just that ear-transliterating is rarely accurate.

HappyDuck
11-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Yup, that's when you get help with the kanji

Aku no Hikari
11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Look.. Why don't you do it this way? I always transliterate lyrics from scanned images of CD booklets, and I don't know many of the Kanji characters that I see. What I do is use the IME handwriting recognition pad to input every Kanji character that I don't know. Yeah, I just trace them! It takes MUCH less than looking them up by radicals.

However, in order to use this way, you must have basic knowledge of Kanji strokes and stroke order rules. If you can't input it in the correct stroke order, or more importantly, distinguish which parts are the strokes, the IME pad won't recognize it.

After writing down the whole thing from image to text, I use Denshi Jisho (http://jisho.org/) to look up anything that I don't know. And done!

In fact, this way is very helpful, because it IS a way of learning Kanji characters as you transliterate your songs. (But of course it's no replacement for studying.) And it's better than posting in forums and waiting (possibly days) for someone to reply to it.

And speaking of CD booklets, they ALWAYS manage to sing something different from what's written in the booklet... And the only way to know what's sung is using your ears. It's the biggest headache that I get when transliterating songs. I hate it when they do this! :banghead:

ShizuNee
11-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree transliterations are almost never very accurate especially for those not very fluent in the language. I agree the IME handwriting pad is good for those who know stroke order and can differentiate strokes, but for those who don't it can be a very time consuming process. My tool a a nice hardbound kanji dictionary. NTC's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary is my personal pick but its hard to find because it's out of print. If you can learn how to lookup kanji by SKIP method it's very fast and easy to use a dictionary that uses that lookup method. I find this method works better for me because I can look up examples of usage as well as multiple readings to help you learn the kanji more effectively.

nakichika
11-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Yeah, transliterating by listening isn't too accurate in most of cases. I usually transliterate from booklets and use Yarxi Dictionary for kanji. I think it's better to have some knowledge on kanji strokes and radicals, because then you'll be able to use any of kanji dictionaries.
When I was transliterating my first lyrics, I could easily spend several hours searching for a single kanji!

p.s. sometimes it won't help though.. I have two CD-dramas I want to translate....and I still can't recognize some words no matter how much I try....:(