PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Anti-Virus Programs

Mavericker
10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
What are the best Anti-Virus Programs from the internet that are out there that are actually free?

There used to be a slew of them back in the early days of the internet that used to be free-now thay want you pay hidden surcharges.

I need to get a new edition of Norton Antivirus for my home computer-the one I have is obsolete.

Xombii
10-20-2009, 11:25 PM
What are the best Anti-Virus Programs from the internet that are out there that are actually free?

There used to be a slew of them back in the early days of the internet that used to be free-now thay want you pay hidden surcharges.

I need to get a new edition of Norton Antivirus for my home computer-the one I have is obsolete.

ummm theres AVG free antivirus also Mcfee antivirus, but i find that free antivirus dont work as well as payed ones, well i dl torrents so i need a good antivirus xD.

SigmaSD
10-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Avira is a really good free antivirus program. It kind of slows down your computer's start up time by a bit, but then its worth it. I'm definitely going to by it once the free trial ends.

AzureDark
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
ClamWin (based on ClamAV) is free...

I also use SUPERAntiSpyware, though paying for it will give you a lot more functions, the parts you get free of charge are already pretty good.

OminousCloud
10-21-2009, 04:55 AM
I've been using Avast and it seems pretty good so far.

Shinigami Turtle
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I used to use AVG (free) but then I was off-line for months. When I got back on-line and updated my AVG it filled my computer with bugs! I had to have it all cleared out by this computer dude across the road, and he put on McAfee (free). Then that crashed my lap top!!! Grrrr. So I wouldn't recomend either of those.

Seņor Nobody
10-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Avast! has always been good to me.

Khanxay
10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I love Avast! Home (though it does take a bit more ram than the other two major free anti-viruses) and eagerly await the 5.0 release.

i find that free antivirus dont work as well as payed onesFree and paid anti-viruses work equally well.

DarkMoonPrince
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
McAfee has been a good one for me.

Saladin
10-22-2009, 12:49 AM
As an alternative solution, use Linux. Yes, Linux has virii but its system structure is more efficient for preventing virii than Windows.

IFS
10-22-2009, 01:12 AM
the best free antivirus programs are the trial periods with full features of the paid ones with unlimited free trial period time

gaburieru
10-22-2009, 03:01 AM
I like AVIRA FREE. It does detect things AND it barely effect performance at all, run it on both my main box and a PIII 733Mhz + 256Mb RAM (Win 2k).

kurai_cho2
10-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Avira AntiVir Personal is the best one anti-virus for me

TheAsterisk!
10-22-2009, 11:08 PM
I'd personally recommend AVG Free. It can be a little bit of a pain to update over dial-up, but then everything is, and it's worked well for me in the past.

@Saladin: The system of user permissions does help some, yes, but those are mainly meant to keep users from deleting/modifying OS files and each other's files, not primarily to deal with malware from the savage plains of the Internet. That's kind of an accidental secondary effect, and it doesn't always do much more than the comparative lack of Linux malware relevant to a home computer does to keep Linux pretty safe from outside threats.

OtakuInu!!!
10-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Avira is a really good free antivirus program. It kind of slows down your computer's start up time by a bit, but then its worth it.

I agree with SigmaSD. Because we also use that.

Eris
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
As an alternative solution, use Linux. Yes, Linux has virii but its system structure is more efficient for preventing virii than Windows.

"virii" is not the plural form of virus. Only script-kid wannabe hackers say "virii". The plural form of "virus" is and remains "viruses".

If the word for virus was for some obscure reason "virire", and you wanted to refer to them in first person singular historic tense, the word would be "virii". But that is a theoretical scenario that never occurs in any realistic conversation (mostly because there is no word "virire")