PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Video] MKV subs

Xombii
10-09-2009, 11:54 PM
i have a couple animes in MKV form and am trying to put em into my ipod except the subs wont show when i convert to MP4, i did find a way to harcode the subs but it takes and hour for each 24min ep. Anyone know a fast way to hardcode MKV subs?

div
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think that there is much you can do. You pretty much have to recode the video - there's no way to get around that. Only real way to transcode faster is to use a more efficient transcoder (what software are you using?) or get a faster CPU.

Xombii
10-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think that there is much you can do. You pretty much have to recode the video - there's no way to get around that. Only real way to transcode faster is to use a more efficient transcoder (what software are you using?) or get a faster CPU.

im using mkv2vob converter to hardcode the subs than i convert the file into MP4 format. Takes so damn long. xD i guess ill try looking around for a payed software that can hardcode the subs faster.

Gjallarhorn
10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
The problem here is that .MKV files are container files that can hold pretty much anything, including multiple audio, video, and subtitle files, whereas an MP4 holds a single video file with overlayed audio and hard subtitles.

What you need to do is extract the subfile title (it's a .SSA or .ASSfile) from the .MKV file manually and save it elsewhere. You can do this with any decent subtitling program. Then you can can covert the .MKV to an .AVI or .MP4 file, which will show without any subtitles. You can then use a variety of programs to overlay the subtitles onto the video and save it as an .AVI or .MP4.

I subtitle foreign music videos, and I use a combination of Aegissub and VirtualDubMod.

Hardcoding subtitles onto a video, no matter how you do it, takes a lot of time, and will always cause quality loss. This is why a lot of people use formats like .MKV.

Xombii
10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
aw damn, i wish everyone would stick to AVI xD

ilovemilk
11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
aw damn, i wish everyone would stick to AVI xD

Agree :D
I know a freeware tool recently iWisoft Free Video Converter but it seems does not support subs now

Xombii
11-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Agree :D
I know a freeware tool recently iWisoft Free Video Converter but it seems does not support subs now

The ipod converter i use can also put the subs on when im converting it into MP4, but that only if theres an srt file with it, the problem is if the subs are in the file itself then its just a pain xD