PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in signs? Is it just coincidence?

IcePriestess
10-09-2009, 12:48 PM
So, as the title says, do you believe in signs? I don't mean Zodiac signs or something like that, but the things that you see.
For example:
I took a random piece of chocolate today and it had the shape of cross. I got really shocked by that.
I burnt myself, and the burnt place had the shape of moon, even though I was sure it would be a square, because the place that I touched was like a square!
I spilled coffee on the ground and it formed a shape of a knife. That was so scary....

Well. So, do you think that these signs are just coincidence, or do you believe that someone wants to tell something to you by making those signs? What kind of signs did you see?

Anime Forum
10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't believe signs like that really mean anything and it sounds a bit like the movie Final Destination. I've had stuff happen to me many times and it would more likely happen if you think about it too much and observe a problem that isn't really there.

--Gli..thced Post--

Skylar1
10-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think that there are any 'unknown forces' behind things. Just strange things that happen at strange moments.

Though, it is still fun to think about them sometimes.

naotavespaboy
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
All a load of mumbo jumbo. If that stuff were true I'd be a millionaire five times over and have found twenty loves of my life (according to Mystic Meg anyway). Other then that I don't have a bad day every day and I own a black cat plus I've seen plenty of black dogs and none of them have been Shuck trying to pull my throat out. sorry to say it's all rubbish.

Eris
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
No, I don't. It's just pareidolia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia).

Forgotten Show
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Not all "signs" fall under pareidolia. Most anticipatory human interactions are cue-based. Though IcePriestess only gave examples falling under pareidolia, she did not limit the scope of the conversation to only including such phenomena. Understanding cues and drawing inferences from their presence (or absence) is certainly not pareidolia.

Bad Memory

Eris
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Not all "signs" fall under pareidolia. Most anticipatory human interactions are cue-based. Though IcePriestess only gave examples falling under pareidolia, she did not limit the scope of the conversation to only including such phenomena. Understanding cues and drawing inferences from their presence (or absence) is certainly not pareidolia.

Bad Memory

I inferred from the examples the OP gave that those were the sorts of signs she was speaking off. The rest of the post also seems to indicate that these "signs" are shapes or arrangements of things with some sort of mystical significance.

RaShayRitto
10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
signs? heck no! if i make a pancake and some goofball tells me it looks like jesus i'm eating that there pancake jesus head first! *nom nom nom*

i DO believe in "fate" tho

John Watson
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I do believe in signs, so much so that it chills me to the core.
But if someone, somewhere is trying to warn or protect me. I will heed their warnings without hesitation!

I take that so seriously, I feel silly at times but I get that gut-feeling and I stick-widdit! >o

Cobra Commander
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Kind of. I don't get signs literally like you're describing, but my instinct more often than not "speaks" to me. And it's almost always right.

Aki no iko
10-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I want to say I do, but I don't. >>

-Batman-
10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I do.
When I see a sign saying "Stop", I stop my car.
When I see a sign saying "Mens Restroom" I know this is where I must go to pee.
When I see a sign that says "Closed" I know that the buisness I wish access to is currently empty and theres nobody inside to wait on me.

Say yeah, I guess I do believe in signs.

Legit
10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I do.
When I see a sign saying "Stop", I stop my car.

That's an acronym. "Spin tires on pavement".

OtakuInu!!!
10-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Sometimes I do. But I believe they are just more like coincidences.

MangaFanGuy
10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
It's just a coincidence.
People just want to read too much into random shapes and derive some mythical significance to explain it.

Beast
10-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I believe it's just a coincidence. Although sometimes it does freak me out. Like when christians stopped me in the street to give me a pamphlet, I was walking back to my place and I threw it on my lawn. It landed standing up leaning against a rock. Freaked me out.

XxPantherChickxX
10-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I dunno. Yes, I guess. I don't always take them seriously, though.

LOVE STUFF
10-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, Everything can happened by coincidence. This is what I think. It's like fate I guess.

Dr. Evil
10-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't believe signs like that really mean anything and it sounds a bit like the movie Final Destination. I've had stuff happen to me many times and it would more likely happen if you think about it too much and observe a problem that isn't really there.

--Gli..thced Post--

Agreed

Aku no Hikari
10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
signs? heck no! if i make a pancake and some goofball tells me it looks like jesus i'm eating that there pancake jesus head first! *nom nom nom*

i DO believe in "fate" tho

Totally agree with that.

I'd play with a group of black cats a game of running under ladders and enjoy every single moment of it. And then if I look at the sky and see a cloud that's shaped like a crazy skulls and bones, I'd just LOL about it and say, "Oh, I luuuuv that skull!!" And I know that absolutely nothing bad would happen to me because of such things.

However, I believe in fate. If it was my fate to have an accident or die in the situation above, it would happen. Not because of the black cats or skull, but because it was my fate. It has absolutely nothing to do with seeing a "sign" or doing other "bad luck" things. They're all superstitions.

Speaking of which, black cats are my favorite. If you look at them in the darkness, they'd look like two floating evil eyes walking around. Mwahahahahahaaa!!

*ahem*

Now seriously again, I also believe in sings in dreams, even though it's rare to get one -- since most dreams are just from our subconsciousness. But they ARE true. Anyways, that's off the topic.