PDA

View Full Version : Accents

bee.
10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
So, I was watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86SOHZ0nIA
and i thought about not only how many people have horrible accents when speaking Spanish, but in all languages in general. I know I have a horrible french accent.... what about you guys? Accents in general. Discoooosss~

lilminx
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
dunno if i have a bad accent but i love english accents XD

RaShayRitto
10-06-2009, 10:59 PM
chicks with british accents turn me on o:

back when i was a cashier at EXPRESS (the clothing store) this one british chick with supermodel looks came up to buy stuff. I think i spent like 10 minutes ringing her up because i loved like EVERY thing she said (and she had a lot to say XD).

the second she left my manager who i was good buddies with came over and we gushed like fanboys together about how hot her voice (and the rest of her ;] ) was.

i will never forget that fateful day....when i had a face to face conversation with a hot british chick XB . i will marry one and our children will be beautiful and speak in the most glorious accents--THIS. I. SWEAR! >=(

SigmaSD
10-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't have a horrible accent when speaking English; I speak pretty clearly. Now Italian on the other hand, I don't know about that.

However, I once had a Chinese chem teacher that was hard to understand since his accent was so thick. He was nice and everything, but sometimes you had to tell him to repeat if you didn't understand. The funny thing is that we all got used to his accent so by the end of the semester we could understand him without having to bombard him with questions asking him to repeat himself.

bee.
10-06-2009, 11:36 PM
lol i have a chinese chem teacher who grew up in mexico. she's so cool because her english sounds so .. idk like she's barking orders at us, but.. her spanish is perfect

MangaFanGuy
10-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Well I recently went on a trip and my tour group came from all kinds of countries.
Apparently my accent was the hardest to understand (I am a New Zealander).

Cobra Commander
10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a weird accent to the rest of this state. They find out where I'm from, and can't understand how I don't sound like I'm from Long Island...as if the city takes up the entire state. It's actually kind of irritating. We don't drive cahs in my little NY town...and we don't go to the pahk, either.

I pick up bits and pieces of a texas accent here and there, and I can really hear it sometimes, and then I start to fight it. One thing though. Damn it Texas, there is no "R" in Washington. A lot of people around here call it "Worshington"...we name our streets after the presidents...

As for accents....I find most american and european accents pleasant to hear. I love to hear british girls especially.

Shwayze
10-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I have picked up some of my dad's southern Indiana accent, so its kinda hard to understand me (for most people here). But once they are around me a couple days, theyll start to understand me easily.

Inactive Account 0061
10-07-2009, 01:26 AM
British accent is the most win of them all xD

My Danish accent is just... Bleh

.Tatty.
10-07-2009, 01:58 AM
dunno why BUT

Girls with the Georgian accent (american state not the country) i find that accent sexy >o>;

mattBANG
10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
My Aussie accent, sounds nothing like Australian Accents are portrayed as.

Kanjoudakai_Ira
10-07-2009, 04:28 AM
The accents I find most lovely are:
-Irish
-Scottish
-Russian
-German

^^

blueangel06661
10-07-2009, 05:00 AM
I personally do not have an accent except a tiny redneck one that I had when I was a child because I grew up around rednecks. I've tried my best to get rid of it but it sometimes slips. >__> embarrassing.

I love the Boston accent or Cajun. My friends mom has a Boston accent and I just love the way she talks. :D

His little cousin has a Cajun one... I get really lost when he talks... >.< But it's hilarious. :]

mattBANG
10-07-2009, 05:09 AM
blueangel what is a Cajun accent?

Seņor Nobody
10-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I agree with Shay when he said that British accents are awesome. They are a rare treat here, but when I do hear one I enjoy it.

Well, the hardest accent for me to understand is a Korean one. This doesn't mean that all Koreans have thick accents, only that it is the toughest for me to decipher.

Maybe if I had more experience with Korean, I would be able to piece together what sounds in English were being attempted.

mattBANG
10-07-2009, 05:21 AM
I can never understand the elder Korean's that live near me either, their accent is just to much.

Dr. Evil
10-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I have a southern Unitied States drawl. Its sexy to a lot of girls. My girlfriend, who came from New Jersey, loves it. I like these accents though:

Italian
Spanish
Russian
Northern United States accent

Megamind's Minion
10-07-2009, 07:39 AM
i have a native accent normal to my country...

my top fave accents.. in order

British
Texan
Greek - especially if the person is cute
Scot
Aussie
Korean - i love the way they talk.. it's sweet..;)
:awe:

Dr. Evil
10-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I like British too.

OtakuInu!!!
10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't think I have an accent. Yeah, I like British accent too.

Forgotten Show
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I believe blueangel meant 'creole' instead of 'cajun'. In which case I completely agree with her.

I, for one, have a soft spot for lovely people with accents. Love the many Hispanic accents. Love Eastern European accents. Australian? Yes please. British? I'll take two, thanks. French? Irish? Yeah... yeah.

Oh, and a good Southern accent is always nice to hear.

Mmm... accents... :D

Bad Memory

DOOM!
10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
The accents make little difference. That's the Shamwow Guy talking over there!!!

naotavespaboy
10-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Whoa! Lot a love for my kind of accent out there. Born and raised in Britain so obviously the accent comes with it. Anywho just curious to know what is classed as a British accent to you guys? Us British don't all speak the same way you know! I'm from East Anglia and have a Suffolk accent (country boy to those who don't know). I like my accent its very distinctive even if Londoners and city folk believe "I can't read or write but can drive a tractor".

My fave accents have to be the Irish even if they talk so fast its hard to keep up and the Brummie accent just cos its funny (plus I had a few Brummie friends and they were great.)

Skylar1
10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I myself have no accent. Though, as far as my preferences go, I find German and British accents most attractive. My least favorite accent is Southern.

JIMBO.
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I have an Essex accent.

Eris
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a grave accent. One time it was so bad it was acute, but it's slightly better now.

badum-ching

RaShayRitto
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Whoa! Lot a love for my kind of accent out there. Born and raised in Britain so obviously the accent comes with it. Anywho just curious to know what is classed as a British accent to you guys? Us British don't all speak the same way you know! I'm from East Anglia and have a Suffolk accent (country boy to those who don't know). I like my accent its very distinctive even if Londoners and city folk believe "I can't read or write but can drive a tractor".

My fave accents have to be the Irish even if they talk so fast its hard to keep up and the Brummie accent just cos its funny (plus I had a few Brummie friends and they were great.)

yeah british accents come in a variety but i havent heard one i dont like.

TheThunderBringer
10-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I live in the southernmost state (besides Hawaii...but whatever) but I don't a Southern Accent...Why don't people in Florida have SOUTHERN accents? What kind of accent do other people call it?

Oh yea, I almost can't BEAR to take Spanish at school, peoples' accents are so bad, I honestly want to interrupt them whenever their talking to correct them. They pronounce Ellos EXACTLY how it looks...it's like an Australian saying 'Ello there!' I HATE IT.

/endrage

Baka
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Sometimes I have a baby accent.

Example: "I wanna wide da wower coaster!!! Pwease can I?!!!"

blueangel06661
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
blueangel what is a Cajun accent?

It's an accent typically in Louisiana. It just sounds bizarre.

Forgotten Show
10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I live in the southernmost state (besides Hawaii...but whatever) but I don't a Southern Accent...Why don't people in Florida have SOUTHERN accents? What kind of accent do other people call it?

Lot of people in Florida have Southern accents (myself included, depending how tired or lazy I am). Not all people, certainly, as we have a much more diverse population than about any other Southern state with the possible exception being Texas.

Oh yea, I almost can't BEAR to take Spanish at school, peoples' accents are so bad, I honestly want to interrupt them whenever their talking to correct them. They pronounce Ellos EXACTLY how it looks...it's like an Australian saying 'Ello there!' I HATE IT.

/endrage

It's just as bad in college. I agree that it's pretty painful to hear. Although a few of them are pretty funny; aņos comes to mind. :p

Bad Memory

royroy
10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
It took me a week to find out what my Japanese teacher was saying.
. . .

I AM NOT a wannabe Japanese
I'm going into microsoft DDD8

EDIT;;
I myself have a very, very west coast USA accent.
Dude. Like. Ohmigod. Ugh.
And then my Seattle-ness requires words like, "Pop." and "Jebus Christ." , among others 8I

DeMoNoFtHeFaLl666
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
i don't have an accent but i know someone who has a one. He has a brooklyn accent (kinda funny in a way plus, he's a metal head so imagine that). Other than that i don't know anyone with one.

Bulma1017
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I love the British and English accents! (Not sure if they are same though...)
Still it SEXY!! Like that one women from SUPER NANNY!!! :P j/k

Cobra Commander
10-07-2009, 09:39 PM
It took me a week to find out what my Japanese teacher was saying.
. . .

I AM NOT a wannabe Japanese
I'm going into microsoft DDD8

EDIT;;
I myself have a very, very west coast USA accent.
Dude. Like. Ohmigod. Ugh.
And then my Seattle-ness requires words like, "Pop." and "Jebus Christ." , among others 8I

Hella?

I always thought Floridians had an accent, but I wouldn't call it a "drawl" like some other southerners seem to have. Every time someone here in TX says "Five" I hear "Fahve".

~*Red*~
10-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Everyone I talk to says that my New Zealand accent is the best accent out of all accents - and I have been told I sound Australian on some occasions too.

bee.
10-07-2009, 10:39 PM
"Hella" is a NorCal thing too xD

reikalee
10-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I live in the Philippines but I can easily say I have the American accent. I love the British accents though.

greentb
10-08-2009, 04:44 AM
hm.... i dont know what my accent is cuz i'm usually different if im with different people. Like if im with my singaporean friends, i would use a singlish accent, while if im with my philipino friends, i use more of american accent. My accent when i speak chinese is T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E ... my korean accent is not so bad ... sometimes i would use a british accent to speak with my friends for fun and we would act really highly to pretend we're like from those british olden days

Hautalken
10-08-2009, 07:06 AM
British accent for me too! Totally love it :3

Though I don't exaclty have it......

Mine is more of a mixed up sort thanks to so much exposure to other accents. So it's like a lot of british with this asian mix to it along with a tinge of american here and there ^^;;;

Weird, yeah.

IFS
10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Afrikaans accent for me, my english doesn't sound all that bad but you can hear its not my primary language when I speak fast

Ryuuzaki HD
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I have a Yorkshire accent, I can't stand the scouse accent it sounds horrible.

Fabala
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I love accents. ALL accents, really. My preference tends to lie with English, Irish, and Australian, but I fancy they sound better in men rather than women. In women I prefer French or Italian.

My accent is something of a mystery. I was born in New York City (as were both my parents), but then quickly moved to Long Island and later to New Jersey. However, I'm told again and again that I don't sound as though I hail from any of the above. While living in the states I was asked the odd question now and again about what country I came from. Now that I live in Australia, those questions are an endless source of amusement. Typically people guess me to be Irish or English, and on the rare occasion Canadian. What fascinates me most is that I was once told I have exactly the accent one would expect of a Dutch girl who learned English in the US. Interesting, as my mother's family IS Dutch, with both her parents coming from a Dutch-speaking community in the West Indies. Mystery solved? XD

naotavespaboy
10-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I love the British and English accents! (Not sure if they are same though...)
Still it SEXY!! Like that one women from SUPER NANNY!!! :P j/k

Bulma theres a huge difference. A British accent could include a Scottish, Irish or Welsh accent too (and NEVER let a Scot hear you calling him English). English is only English and then theres huge variations there as well as England is split into the Midlands, Devonshire, Yorkshire and East Anglia to name a few. I'd say the best of these lot is the East Anglian accent but then I'm biased on that one anyway X D.

Cobra Commander
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I won't know my favorite until I come visit and meet all the women. I probably wouldn't be able to choose either way.

.Tatty.
10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I have an Essex accent.

you commoner you <3

i have the suffolk accent if you know it, real farm county is us
:P

sufforkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkk

Khanxay
10-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I have this horrible human accent. It catches me plenty of unwanted attention everytime I raid other planets with my space pirate buddies. You'd think that a person would notice you looting their villige before noticing the sound of your voice.

GreyAcumen
10-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I have your standard Broadcast English accent. I have been working on incorporating a bit of a British tint to it as I tend find their accent sounds more honorable and scholarly.

~Brandon Acumen

Aki no iko
10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I've been told I have perfect English speaking skills, however, I have been able to catch myself pronouncing some words wrong when I'm talking at a fast pace. Those very few words come out as if I'm fresh off the boat Asian. ><

Missy
10-18-2009, 02:13 PM
When I first moved to the U.S. from Guam, I had a heavy "islander" accent. Or "Chamorro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamorro_language)" accent. I got made fun of in middle school, but eventually grew out of it.

Now I sound very very American. It's funny because when people first see me, they assume I can't speak proper English cause I look Asian. So I get a lot of folks talking to me like I'm a child.

Seta Souji
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I love accents. ALL accents, really. My preference tends to lie with English, Irish, and Australian, but I fancy they sound better in men rather than women. In women I prefer French or Italian.

Really, ALL accents? I think asian accents sound terrible. They don't get much love from anyone. Every other accent sounds nice in my opinion.

Robin Sena
10-19-2009, 01:35 AM
yeah british accents come in a variety but i havent heard one i dont like.Let's not forget Cockney and Oxonian.

Acnologia
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I apparently have an "eastern accent", because I'm from the east coast of my country, and moved here (The middle) a few years back.

No one else notices it, a guidance councelor pointed it out.

.Lovebeat
10-19-2009, 02:35 PM
People have noticed that depending on where I am I change accent (in Swedish). I don't notice it at all though. I spent the whole summer in middle Sweden, and then I called my friend who lives rather south-y and she said I sounded like a completely different person. o.0

I like accents as long as I can hear what people are saying, for example I really think it's hard to understand heavy Irish or Scottish accent.

Gotta love the British accent though. <3

Teddy2116
10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Eh, I dont think I have an accent I like, I mean I think some northern American accents are pretty cool but thats as far as it goes.

@shay: dude I can't agree with you on the british accents. It might of been the girl but I felt like shooting my ears off while she was talking to me.