PDA

View Full Version : pyschology

Megamind's Minion
10-01-2009, 01:22 AM
i have a dilemma..
i need to submit a paper tomorrow on Psych 10...
a minor subject...
and i can't decide whether it's
pedophilia...
or denial or nay other pyschological disorder..
could you give me a hand?...
i want an interesting topic that will inspire me to write...

Charlie Sprinkl
10-01-2009, 01:28 AM
why not write about schizophrenia
then you could pretend to change personalties while writing
im sure that would keep you entertained and keep your teacher reading
(http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic108492.html)

Megamind's Minion
10-01-2009, 02:14 AM
that was the plan..
i would love to discuss that..
but i was assigned to discuss the same thing in our class a week ago..
i don't want to reiterate myself, so i dropped the idea,,,

OminousCloud
10-01-2009, 02:29 AM
You could look at what separates murderers from the rest of us, or the differences in bullying by males versus bullying by females in terms of trauma and length of emotional damage etc, then there's a range of psychological conditions you can go into like bi-polar disorder, autism and the difference between brilliance and stunted intellect...

Pick something that you like and then work around it...

Megamind's Minion
10-01-2009, 04:27 AM
never mind the thread guyz..
i am done with my paper..
it is entitled,
Children in Danger: Postpartum Depression...

just a vague overview of what it is and if it is really existing..

nekosenshi
10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
why not write about schizophrenia
then you could pretend to change personalties while writing
im sure that would keep you entertained and keep your teacher reading

Don't confuse schizophrenia with Multiple Personality Disorder. I get so tired of that all the time.

TheAsterisk!
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I see the timestamp on the OP means it's too late, but I've a point to make!

If it's a general Psychology class, I'd recommend not using a disorder, unless that was the criteria. That kinda strays into psychiatry, if you're not careful about it.

Forgotten Show
10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Children in Danger: Postpartum Depression...

just a vague overview of what it is and if it is really existing..

Good subject.

If it's a general Psychology class, I'd recommend not using a disorder, unless that was the criteria. That kinda strays into psychiatry, if you're not careful about it.

Pardon?

Bad Memory

lilminx
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM
that seems interesting, want to tell us some more on that subject?

Megamind's Minion
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Don't confuse schizophrenia with Multiple Personality Disorder. I get so tired of that all the time.

true.. most people do interchange that..
when in fact they are very different...

Megamind's Minion
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
that seems interesting, want to tell us some more on that subject?

sorry, just checked this thread again now...

Postpartum Depression is a depression in which women who are pregnant or gave birth suffers from anxiety attack...

they think that they are not good enough to care for their child...
some of them do not want to see their child for weeks until they recover which is what normally happens...
this is called baby blues... normal to women giving birth...

but if prolonged<the anxiety, or worrying..>, the mother sometimes do not recover and that is where depression comes in...
it is bad for the family, and the child actually...

RexCars
10-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I remember Intro to Psych very clearly. That was a fun class.

I wrote my final research paper on sleepwalking, with a section of my paper touching on a famous trial (can't recall the guy's name) in which a man was acquitted of murder because he was a HUMAN ZOMBIE.

Buruku
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
You could discuss the affects of genetics on personality and/or IQ, versus how external enviornment (how a person was raised) may affect it.

Miss Moonlight
10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It would be interesting if you could write a paper about Empathy, how it works and how others relate to each other using it.

That was my last assignment.

Megamind's Minion
10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
It would be interesting if you could write a paper about Empathy, how it works and how others relate to each other using it.

empathy would be agood topic for someone who can really put her place in other's peoples shoes...
but i can't, so i would not be agood candidate for the writer of such a topic...

You could discuss the affects of genetics on personality and/or IQ, versus how external enviornment (how a person was raised) may affect it.

our Intro to Psyche class is more on the Humanistic and Freudian views of the human Psychoanalytic...
so that topic, is a slight deviation...

Forgotten Show
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

That's a grad-level paper. OP's an intro student. ;)

Bad Memory

SigmaSD
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Wow lucky. I remember psych; it was such a fun class. I even wrote my final thesis on Pavlov and conditioning.

So Post-partum Depression. If I remember correctly, the same mechanisms that function to cause that are the same as the ones that cause Post traumatic stress disorder. If I'm wrong someone correct me!!

Forgotten Show
10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Couple studies of interest (abstracts shown, studies included in attachments if you're curious enough):

1 - Postnatal depression and post-traumatic stress after childbirth: Prevalence, course and co-occurence

Abstract: Reports an error in "Postnatal depression and post-traumatic stress after childbirth: Prevalence, course and co-occurrence" by Tracey White, Stephen Matthey, Kim Boyd and Bryanne Barnett (Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 2006 May, Vol 24(2), 107-120). Page 118 refers to the sample being "reasonably well educated". This is as compared to State education data (Australian Bureau of Statistics (2001). Census Data, New South Wales, Non-school qualification: Level of Education, http://www.abs.gov.au Viewed 11 April 2006.) On page 111, the twelfth line from the end should read "as well as score 18 or more on the PSS-SR". (The following abstract of the original article appeared in record 2006-07137-004). Research relating to the postnatal mental health of women has tended to focus on postnatal depression. There have been increasing calls to consider the issue of post-partum anxiety disorders, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This study sought to provide further evidence regarding the prevalence and longitudinal course of post-traumatic stress symptoms resulting from traumatic birth experiences. The study also investigated the extent to which symptoms of trauma and depression occur together in the postnatal period. Four hundred women were recruited from the maternity ward of a public hospital in South West Sydney. Symptoms of birth trauma and postnatal depression were assessed via questionnaires given at birth, 6 weeks, 6 months and 12 months post-partum. The prevalence of having a PTSD profile at 6 weeks post-partum was 2%. A further 10.5% of women reported experiencing significant distress related to childbirth and several symptoms of post-traumatic stress without meeting full diagnostic criteria. The prevalence of a PTSD profile remained relatively stable across the first 12 months post-partum, with estimates being 2.6% at 6 months and 2.4% at 12 months. The co-morbidity between post-traumatic stress and postnatal depression was high at all three time points. The study highlights the potentially chronic nature of PTSD after childbirth and the importance of viewing post-partum emotional distress in a broader context than simply postnatal depression.

White, T.; Matthey, S.; Boyd, K.; Barnett, B. (2006). Postnatal depression and post-traumatic stress after childbirth: Prevalence, course and co-occurence. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology. Vol 24(2), 107-120.

2 - Symptoms associated with the DSM IV diagnosis of depression in pregnancy and post partum

Abstract: Pregnancy and the postpartum may affect symptoms of depression. However it has not yet been tested how the symptoms used for the DSM IV diagnosis of depression discriminate depressed from non depressed women perinatally. A modified version of the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM IV (SCID interview) was used that allowed assessment of all associated DSM IV symptoms of depression with depressed and non depressed women in pregnancy and the postpartum period. Loss of appetite was not associated with depression either ante or postnatally. The antenatal symptom pattern was different from the postnatal. The sensitivity of the symptoms ranged from 0.7% to 51.6%, and specificity from 61.3% to 99.1%. The best discriminating symptoms were motor retardation/agitation and concentration antenatally, and motor retardation/agitation, concentration and fatigue postnatally. Depression in pregnancy and postpartum depression show significantly different symptom profiles. Appetite is not suitable for the diagnosis of depression in the perinatal period.

Kammerer, Martin; Marks, Maureen N.; Pinard, Claudia; Taylor, Alyx; von Castelberg, Brida; Künzli, Hansjörg; Glover, Vivette (2009). Symptoms associated with the DSM IV diagnosis of depression in pregnancy and post partum. Archives of Women's Mental Health, Vol 12(3), 135-141.

Bad Memory

Megamind's Minion
10-10-2009, 08:44 AM
That's a grad-level paper. OP's an intro student. ;)

yeah.. and i am not a psych major either.. no plans yet...

Couple studies of interest (abstracts shown, studies included in attachments if you're curious enough):
;)
this would have been helpful..
2weeks ago...
but it's alright, i think some of the facts stated here were mentioned by me in my 3pages paper in intro to psych...

:D

Megamind's Minion
10-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow lucky. I remember psych; it was such a fun class. I even wrote my final thesis on Pavlov and conditioning.

So Post-partum Depression. If I remember correctly, the same mechanisms that function to cause that are the same as the ones that cause Post traumatic stress disorder. If I'm wrong someone correct me!!

i thought PTSD is experienced by people who have suffered from something terrifying and caused them physical harm which they want to forget...
and vicyims relive the memories unconsciously making them feel guilty, uneasy, or they have nightmares about it..

though, like PPD, it also lasts for a long period of time...
if my guess is correct, then they are different..

RexCars
10-10-2009, 09:04 AM

This is a good topic to write about, with plenty of studies to back up the ''nurture'' argument.

From what I understood, both played a role in who we become, but a larger portion of the blame is usually tagged on the societal structure you were brought up in.

skeels and dye playin with minds

Eris
10-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I keep thinking this thread is about Psych (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych), go "Woo! Best Show EVAR!" then I click it and get disappointed. Like the 17th time now.

Mind if I change the title to "psychology?"

Diocletian
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Write a paper on people who do papers the day before and receive F's. Or me. Or Mike Tyson.

Megamind's Minion
10-13-2009, 04:37 AM
I keep thinking this thread is about Psych (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych), go "Woo! Best Show EVAR!" then I click it and get disappointed. Like the 17th time now.

Mind if I change the title to "psychology?"

no, not at all..
i was actually expecting that this thread won't last long..

never watched Psych, though..
Psycho only.. the movie

Write a paper on people who do papers the day before and receive F's. Or me. Or Mike Tyson.

it would have been good...
but purely analysis / hypothesis which is not what my prof would have wanted..
coz he likes facts...

Please don't double post - Eris