PDA

View Full Version : Converting your brain into e-memory?

Miss Moonlight
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Article: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/25/total.recall.microsoft.bell/

September 28, 2009

In sum, this mountain of data -- more than 350 gigabytes worth, not including the streaming audio and video -- is a replica of Bell's biological memory. It's actually better, he says, because, if you back up your data in enough places, this digitized "e-memory" never forgets. It's like having a multimedia transcript of your life.

By about 2020, he says, our entire life histories will be online and searchable. Location-aware smartphones and inexpensive digital memory storage in the "cloud" of the Internet make the transition possible and inevitable. No one will have to fret about storing the details of their lives in their heads anymore. We'll have computers for that. And this revolution will "change what it means to be human," he writes.

Thoughts?

Seņor Nobody
09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't know why, but I don't like this. Maybe because I don't need everyone in the world that has access to the internet to know where I was, when I was there, what I did, who I spoke to, why I was there, and how much I paid.

But, it has awesome stalker potential. Paranoid girlfriends/boyfriends can rest easy and cheating girlfriends/boyfriends beware.

3pleT
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cut_(2004_film)

i was thinking moar liek this

DOOM!
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
WUT it do? I don't see any gizmo, any plans, any gimmick.

Larry David
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
They've been talking about this for awhile. It's actually a huge part of 3001: The Final Odyssey. Personally I'd like to see it come into fruition!

RaShayRitto
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
after all that romantic talk about memories on the internet....its just a camera on a string?

seriously, did this old fart miss the myspace/facebook boom? TONS of kids upload ungodly ammounts of pics of nothing already.

lame

Miss Moonlight
09-29-2009, 01:12 PM
after all that romantic talk about memories on the internet....its just a camera on a string?

seriously, did this old fart miss the myspace/facebook boom? TONS of kids upload ungodly ammounts of pics of nothing already.

lame
That's what I thought, lol. I mean, I can already take pictures of anything in my life already. There has to be something else more to it than that ...

MetalKnight
09-30-2009, 04:17 AM
No thanks, I'd prefer not to have my memory stolen... It'd be an easy route to becoming the next Star Wars Kid.

SigmaSD
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow this reminds me of Death Angel for some reason. So then if you wanted to, you can replace your brain with a couple of these chips so that you have a bigger memory, right? Of course, this probably won't happen in 2020 like they mention.

Anime-Prince
09-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, yet another way to pull us further from nature...

RaShayRitto
09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
pfft nature. i'll take guitars and game consoles over allergies and pests any day ^_^

maybe i ALREADY am a computer O.o

Anime-Prince
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah man.. maybe you are.

^^

Shinn Kamiyra
09-30-2009, 08:28 PM
As one who has never had any real problems recalling any of the significant and/or relevant events in his life, this idea doesn't sound all that interesting to me; though I suppose, if nothing else, it is something of a neat way for someone to leave perhaps the most explicit biography of his/her life ever.

But, for those of you that feel that you wish to have a literal record of everything you've ever done, best of luck to you. I'll keep to my well maintained and much appreciated privacy.

TheAsterisk!
10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
]September 28, 2009

In sum, this mountain of data -- more than 350 gigabytes worth, not including the streaming audio and video -- is a replica of Bell's biological memory. It's actually better, he says, because, if you back up your data in enough places, this digitized "e-memory" never forgets. It's like having a multimedia transcript of your life.

By about 2020, he says, our entire life histories will be online and searchable. Location-aware smartphones and inexpensive digital memory storage in the "cloud" of the Internet make the transition possible and inevitable. No one will have to fret about storing the details of their lives in their heads anymore. We'll have computers for that. And this revolution will "change what it means to be human," he writes.
Thoughts?
Yes, I've a few.
The inclusion of a reference to "cloud computing" makes me want to scream, "Gimmick! Fad!" as does the mention of a smartphone, which is really just a severely crippled laptop, made too small to be ergonomically pleasing.
And does nobody already jot down ideas as they come to them in a searchable text file? Perhaps with references or renderings of pictures?
Perhaps it could be standardized into a widely accepted notation- a language, even. Then those could be put online and made accessible, given a proper identifier or route to the file(s).
I should invent that.