PDA

View Full Version : Trust...

LOVE STUFF
09-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Story:

Yesterday, I was walking to this one coffee shop and suddenly this one women (who I don't know) collapsed she was around her 40's. I saw that she had collapse and so I got nervous. I ran to her and called the emergency number. There was a big crowd and the ambulance weren't coming. This one guy told me that the hospital was near and said that he would take me. So, I followed and he lead me to somewhere dark. Fortunately, I didn't have anything valuable. I got beat up by that guy and but not too bad because I ran away.

Question:
Would you trust someone like this in this situation? or was I foolish?

and

Do you trust strangers?

RaShayRitto
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
true story or hypothetical situation?

thats pretty nuts man. I'd tell the dude if he knew where a hospital was then to run there and have them send help around the damn corner. you gotta stay with the victim until the ambulance arrives, didnt the operator stay on the line and give you instructions or anything?

fatalReflex77
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
well in your situation ...u had good intention.....so ur not foolish

but .....u must take caution next time s u don't get cought up in a situation like this one...

^^

LOVE STUFF
09-24-2009, 12:48 AM
true story or hypothetical situation?

thats pretty nuts man. I'd tell the dude if he knew where a hospital was then to run there and have them send help around the damn corner. you gotta stay with the victim until the ambulance arrives, didnt the operator stay on the line and give you instructions or anything?

Unfortunately, it was a true story. They did told me to stay and wait but they weren't coming.

Forgotten Show
09-24-2009, 01:08 AM
You called an emergency number because a woman collapsed. Why did you follow a stranger into a dark alley?

No, you weren't foolish. You were stupid.

Virtually all people want to trust, and want to be trusted. Trust itself isn't problematic. The hard part is distinguishing trust from faith: one's arbitrary, one's earned. I'll give ya three guesses which one gets people in trouble more often.

Bad Memory

Dead rose
09-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Well you should have waited, sprinkled some water on her face and tried to wake her up insted of following some creepy guy into a dak alley.

3pleT
09-24-2009, 02:08 AM
What you did requires a special brand of naivety and self-righteousness. Following a stranger in a dark alley just because there is a possibility that it could help you save some woman you don't even know? And how is it even possible for the ambulance phone line to be busy for longer than five minutes? You should have waited when they put you on hold instead of going Allison Cameron on her.

RaShayRitto
09-24-2009, 02:23 AM
yeah the issue here isnt trust, its poor judgment =O

at least you had good intentions...so kudos for that. But next time, deal with the situation by the book. A woman's life is in the balance,k?

Shwayze
09-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Would I trust a stranger in that situation? Probably not, I wouldve just followed the operator's instructions.

Would I trust strangers? Absolutely not.

But like what everyone else is saying, you had good intentions.

Ran-Sang
09-24-2009, 03:02 AM

Why would you take the word of a some random stranger on the street? That was foolish. You might have had good intentions, but that was not smart at all...

You should not have left the woman alone, especially since you were the one who called. O_o Be careful!

devendra3047
09-24-2009, 06:17 AM
i trust strangers at their hard times.
once i met a big accident by my bike.me and my gf both were seriously hurt.
but a car came the person asked us to sit in the car and he would drop us home.
he picked the stuff including valuables which got scattered here n there on the spot.
brought us home from where he took us to the trauma centre with our relatives.
my bike was taken care of by a small shop keeper.which was afterwards pulled back.

RaShayRitto
09-24-2009, 08:00 AM
The more i read the OP the more i cant deny it--Its straight out of an anime =O

looks like those situations have some realistic basis in japan XD

Seņor Nobody
09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
O_o Oh, such a foolish thing to do. Remember, do not leave the person alone and do not follow strangers in dark alleys

Sure, your heart was in the right place but...

sa5m
09-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't even believe this story.

Anime Forum
09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't even believe this story.

I second that. Also, I don't have much trust over strangers because one of my friends from long ago was almost abducted by one but luckily the cops were close by. The only true people you can trust is your close family or possibly best friend.

suzumi
09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
The more i read the OP the more i cant deny it--Its straight out of an anime =O

looks like those situations have some realistic basis in japan XD

No, they don't.

My mum works at an old folks home, so she has to call ambulances more than she would like too. And they are usually very quick. And they usually make you stay on the phone till the ambulance arrives. Besides, if there was a hospital that near, it wouldn't have taken very long for it to get there. Especially since "there was a big crowd". Big crowd = more people calling hospitals.

@Op: I don't trust strangers. Not completely anyway.

*edit*

And since the hospital was that close and since there were so many people around, you should have just brought the lady along with you.

tsujigiri15
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I second that. Also, I don't have much trust over strangers because one of my friends from long ago was almost abducted by one but luckily the cops were close by. The only true people you can trust is your close family or possibly best friend.

I think that is maybe a bit drastic - I mean you can probably trust other people to do certain things. I mean, for example, my boss is a decent guy - I wouldn't trust him with my deepest secrets or feelings or whatever, but I would probably trust him to pay me on time. As someone already said, there's a difference between trust and faith, but there are also obviously differnt degrees of trust right?

To be fair to the op. - people dont always do the most logical thing in 'crisis' situations do they? I am always awed by paramedic type, cos they always have lives on the line, and they have to make the right decision on the spot. Its easy to do something silly when you panic. But as someone said earlier, I dont know if I 'trust' that this is real and not fiction

IcePriestess
09-24-2009, 12:10 PM
It was really foolish to do that, even though your intentions were good. You should know where the hospital is yourself, except trusting somebody when they are "leading the way".
Me: I don't even trust my friends ^^. So I think it's obvious that I don't trust strangers too.

Anime Forum
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
[quote=tsujigiri15;2332382]I think that is maybe a bit drastic - I mean you can probably trust other people to do certain things. I mean, for example, my boss is a decent guy - I wouldn't trust him with my deepest secrets or feelings or whatever, but I would probably trust him to pay me on time. As someone already said, there's a difference between trust and faith, but there are also obviously differnt degrees of trust right?

I agree, there are different forms of trust and your correct about a lot of things said in this reply.

I can trust a teacher by being fair and grading my work but I cannot trust a teacher driving me home. Anything that possibly could cause death or a serious beating is something I try to avoid because you never know when a person will betray your trust and get you.

Baka
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM
It's a good thing to want to help someone in need but you should never follow people you don't know anywhere.

As far as the lady goes, didn't anyone think to try mouth to mouth???http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/obiraw/images-1.jpg

3pleT
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
My mum works at an old folks home, so she has to call ambulances more than she would like too. And they are usually very quick. And they usually make you stay on the phone till the ambulance arrives. Besides, if there was a hospital that near, it wouldn't have taken very long for it to get there. Especially since "there was a big crowd". Big crowd = more people calling hospitals.

@Op: I don't trust strangers. Not completely anyway.

*edit*

And since the hospital was that close and since there were so many people around, you should have just brought the lady along with you.
I think OP meant the line was overcrowded, not that there was the actual crowd around.

sa5m
09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
[quote=tsujigiri15;2332382]I think that is maybe a bit drastic - I mean you can probably trust other people to do certain things. I mean, for example, my boss is a decent guy - I wouldn't trust him with my deepest secrets or feelings or whatever, but I would probably trust him to pay me on time. As someone already said, there's a difference between trust and faith, but there are also obviously differnt degrees of trust right?

I agree, there are different forms of trust and your correct about a lot of things said in this reply.

I can trust a teacher by being fair and grading my work but I cannot trust a teacher driving me home. Anything that possibly could cause death or a serious beating is something I try to avoid because you never know when a person will betray your trust and get you.
Our principal used to drive people home. lolz.

Forgotten Show
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Besides, if there was a hospital that near, it wouldn't have taken very long for it to get there. Especially since "there was a big crowd". Big crowd = more people calling hospitals.

Sadly, neither of this points is true, especially the point about more in the crowd calling. Look up 'Diffusion of responsibility' (as there are other people here, someone will intervene) and 'pluralistic ignorance' (if nobody else is acting, acting must not be necessary).

If you see someone go down and want to help them, make the call, stick with the person, and start ordering the crowd around. Bandages and ice packs don't get themselves, and once people start moving they start becoming more useful and less of a hindrance. If you care enough about someone, even a stranger, to make a call for help then you better stick around long enough to see that help gets to them.

Bad Memory

Aku no Hikari
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
well in your situation ...u had good intention.....so ur not foolish

at least you had good intentions

you had good intentions.

Unfortunately, what he did is still foolish. Having good intentions does not make it a smart thing to following a stranger into a place that you don't know, especially if it's a small and dark street where obviously no hospital can exist. Having good intentions is something, not using your brain is something else.

Anyway, you got nervous. And when you get nervous, you don't know what to do. The lesson: You should calm yourself down in these situations. Yeah, it's a hard thing to do, but it's worth the practice.

Me: I don't even trust my friends ^^. So I think it's obvious that I don't trust strangers too.

It depends on what kind of friends you have. There are people who are really trust worthy. It also depends on what you define as "trust." There's a difference between emotionally feeling safe with someone, and logically being aware and cautious.

I have a very good friend that I know I can trust him for my own life. But I'm not foolish to do it. Not because I don't trust him, but because I'm cautious.

Anime Forum
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=-Raiken-;2332385]
Our principal used to drive people home. lolz.

That was actually allowed?

sa5m
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Sa5m;2332409]

That was actually allowed?
Yep, I guess so.

Lavos
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
So a woman collapses and he offers to take you to the hospital?

Did he take both of you and you just had to leave the unconscious woman with the guy who beat you up?

Inactive Account 0061
09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Actually I don't trust anyone besides myself... And if he wanted to beat me I just hit him first :rolleyes:

LOVE STUFF
09-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I've been reading some post about me being Foolish.Yes, I was foolish enough to follow him.What Can I say I was nervous.Plus, this was real don't know why some people say it is fake. I just like helping people that need help.

Aku no Hikari
09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I've been reading some post about me being Foolish.

I didn't mean that YOU are foolish. I just meant that WHAT YOU DID was a foolish thing.

Even the most intelligent people might sometimes do something stupid (sometimes I do :p)... The important thing is that you learn the lesson.

What Can I say I was nervous.

Exactly my point. But honestly I don't really blame you for that. Not all people are able to think in hard situations or prevent themselves from being nervous. :/

You just did your best, and it's over now. Just be happy you came out alive, cuz that's the important thing. ^^

Anime Forum
09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=-Raiken-;2332420]
Yep, I guess so.

Where I live any teacher doing that would be considered a sex offender.
Btw, did the one that beat you up ever caught?

Lavos
09-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I've been reading some post about me being Foolish.Yes, I was foolish enough to follow him.What Can I say I was nervous.Plus, this was real don't know why some people say it is fake. I just like helping people that need help.

It sounds fake because there is the plot hole of the woman who passes out just seems to disapear from the plot of the story.

LOVE STUFF
09-25-2009, 12:23 AM
@ Lavos

There's a lot of holes because I don't quite remember because I was so scared.I'm a chicken.

@ -Raiken-

The guy didn't got caught.But the police said that they are going to find him.

@ akuNoHikari

I did learned a really really valuable lesson.^_^

RaShayRitto
09-25-2009, 01:21 AM
post pics of the bruises as proof! jk

Lavos
09-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Ok, but why was the man taking you to the hospital and not the woman.

RaShayRitto
09-25-2009, 03:01 AM

hm...isnt this kind of missing the point? If the story isnt real, then some weakly thought out characters are providing the background for our discussion. If its real, then the loops in the story can be explained by the OP's confusion at the time.

i believe him, but again thats not the point =O

In such a situation i would trust any of the bystanders to give me assistance if they offered or if i gave them orders. However i would have instantly brushed off the guy trying to lead me away from the victim and that would have been the end of that.

its not an error of trust, exactly...its just poor judgement in general for that situation. Live and learn

reikalee
09-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Cases like that happen here in the Philippines too. It's just so vile that they even use defenseless people for their evil deeds.

Forgotten Show
09-25-2009, 05:25 AM
It's just so vile that they even use defenseless people for their evil deeds.

You don't often find bad guys trying to use defended people for their evil deeds...

Bad Memory

suzumi
09-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Sadly, neither of this points is true, especially the point about more in the crowd calling. Look up 'Diffusion of responsibility' (as there are other people here, someone will intervene) and 'pluralistic ignorance' (if nobody else is acting, acting must not be necessary).

If you see someone go down and want to help them, make the call, stick with the person, and start ordering the crowd around. Bandages and ice packs don't get themselves, and once people start moving they start becoming more useful and less of a hindrance. If you care enough about someone, even a stranger, to make a call for help then you better stick around long enough to see that help gets to them.

Bad Memory

Was that last bit to me or the OP?

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say in the first bit either.

My sister once saw someone get hit by a car, and she and several other people stayed to help till the police arrived.

Forgotten Show
09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Your sister's experience is not the norm. People who gather in groups around traumatic events are by and large useless; they stare, talk amongst themselves if at all, and the more people that are around the worse this is. It's pretty scary how much a normally friendly, helpful, rational person can justify when others are around. Ask paramedics how often they have to shove their way through a crowd compared to how often they arrive to find a crowd doing something helpful and you'll find a lot more of the former than the latter. My post explained the two phenomena that describe such behavior. There are regional differences in how crowds respond; smaller and more rural communities tend to be more likely to help than larger and more urban communities (whether by a significant amount or not I don't know).

The last part is to the OP and anyone who isn't sure what to do in this kind of emergency. I don't know if that applies to you or not.

Bad Memory

LOVE STUFF
09-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Cuz the hospital said not to touch the women.

I think that I should have explain better.Because peoples aren't understanding.
and I also learned that there wasn't any hospital close by.

Vampireninja09
09-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I do think he was foolish, but had good intentions like pretty much everyone has said. Not everyone would have even helped the woman, some people would have just walked by and left her. Just some people, not all. Alot of people have good hearts.

I don't/do trust strangers. I do trust strangers because most of the time the people you're meeting are strangers at first, then they become your friend. If you never trust strangers, how are you to make friends. At the same time, I am wary of strangers...just because stuff like that can happen.

OtakuInu!!!
09-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Good thing you escaped.

I wouldn't trust the man or I would ask other people. You weren't foolish. You were just trying to help. And you didn't even know that the man was gonna beat you up.

I don't trust strangers much. Plus, here if you're a stranger and you don't need anything you don't care about each other. Also, I hate strangers (specially when they look or stare at me) that's why I make myself look scary (or just plain weird) when I'm in public.

Kamen Rider V3 Blue
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM
start carrying a knife for protection if it's lawful where you live this crap happens too often...second yes and no while I think it was stupid to follow a stranger down an alley I also believe you tried to make the best out of a bad situation

Lavos
09-27-2009, 01:42 AM
The important thing is that you are ok.

Seta Souji
09-27-2009, 02:22 AM
No, they don't.

My mum works at an old folks home, so she has to call ambulances more than she would like too. And they are usually very quick. . I was put on hold before. Another time I saw them make the wrong turn 2 times when there was a water hydrant that broke off and practically gave them a signal where the accident was.

Besides that, I don't believe in this story because its hard for me to believe theres someone that foolish but is able to operate a computer and post on forums.

And no I do not trust strangers. Strangers have to first become my friend, and only then they have the opportunity to earn my trust.

RaShayRitto
09-27-2009, 05:35 AM
start carrying a knife for protection if it's lawful where you live this crap happens too often...second yes and no while I think it was stupid to follow a stranger down an alley I also believe you tried to make the best out of a bad situation

that sounds like a terrible idea. pulling a knife when you arent the kind of person with a fighting spirit is gonna make things worse. why? the thug sees you pull a knife and gets even angrier. he pulls his own weapon out. now what?

oh, run like you should have done earlier

ZenErik
09-27-2009, 06:04 AM
It depends on the person. But either way, I will have doubts at first. It's hard to trust someone who's a stranger or that you just recently met.

kagome_windy
09-27-2009, 06:13 AM
aww....things like that happen everywhere=|
you really shouldn't have trusted him....but its good that you escaped =)

I sometimes trust strangers...but women only... never a man >.> as here in India women don't do stuff like that !!@_@

MoroDashi
09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
In that situation I probably wouldn.t of trust a stranger, I would of gotten maybe a taxi or somebody that didn.t look weird ish. um yeah .
Andd no, I don.t trust strangers .

Aizen-sama
09-27-2009, 11:19 AM
no u wasnt foolish what u did was great that human just decided to take advantage of you,no i dont trust strangers...actually i dont really trust anybody be they stranger or not

uhh also what ever happened to the lady??

Yuuki Kurosu
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, you were in a tough situation and probably skittish at the time too.
As everyone else said, it was through good intentions.

We all learn from our mistakes, so at least you know if something like this comes up again, not to trust a stranger and stick with the person in trouble, especially if you are the one who called.

keyholder
09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Uhmm, just my opinion, I really think that was noble of you to follow that stranger. It's not bad to trust strangers at all. It's just sometimes, we have to have proper judgment for our actions.

I believe you thought of doing the right thing, you just went kinda stupid somewhere in the process.

Anime-Prince
09-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Love stuff- I think your a pretty cool person. You saw someone in need and tried your best to help. Honestly most of the people replying to this thread of yours, will probably have never been in that situation. They won't take into consideration what that kind of fear, sense of duty, sense of responsibility can do to a person's judgement. You didn't ask to be in that situation. But you survived it and you started to look at things differently. I doubt your stupid, and think it's quite sly of anybody to call you that. At the end of the day some people trust easily, some don't. But that can all change depending on the situation.

So..
You weren't stupid.
You weren't out for glory.
You were someone trying to help.

:-)

Kamen Rider V3 Blue
09-27-2009, 10:33 PM
that sounds like a terrible idea. pulling a knife when you arent the kind of person with a fighting spirit is gonna make things worse. why? the thug sees you pull a knife and gets even angrier. he pulls his own weapon out. now what?

oh, run like you should have done earlier

I never said anything about fighting stab the guy and run while he's recovering...Oh and what if you CAN'T get away chances are if you have something to defend yourself with you'll walk away less injured I suggested a knife because I assumed it would be the easiest to attain and carry without legal trouble ideally a gun or taser would be the best choice but those can be difficult to carry without legal trouble.

Forgotten Show
09-27-2009, 10:50 PM

Well, good thing that's not quite how real life works, and that of crimes thwarted by armed would-be-victims, most need only display their weapon. Just something to consider.

Bad memory

Kuresuma
10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow. I would trust someone in that situation....but now I will think otherwise. Maybe you should have stuck around with her and tried to wake her up again.

No. I do not trust strangers. Hobos scare me, strangers I get nervous around. In your sistuation I would've been horrified, which I have no doubt that you aren't.

SigmaSD
10-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I tend to be very trusting of people until they give me a reason to distrust them. Sometimes it comes back to bite you but that hasn't happened a lot.