PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Web] Question, should I be worried?

Anime Forum
09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Well maybe two days ago, I was reading an article about the WWE and I went to the second page of it and another page popped up saying your computer is in massive risk or something on those lines.

So it said I had over thirty five threats on my computer so I decided to turn my computer off and after that everything seemed fine.

Is this most likely a virus?
Would turning the computer off make it better?

NorthOfTime
09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
It can be a multitude iof things, one of which being your computer is screwed.. Something you need to watch out for though is false alerts like that. Some "Pop Ups" can by pass you firewall and come up looking like a legitimate error or warning message in which when you clikc ok or cancel or "turn on virus scan" or something of the nature it directs you threw a long process in which youshould have already found out youv ebeen jooped. If by chance this did not happen and your computer is highly infected you need to run a High Jack This report and then take the report to a website called SpyWarehammer. They are experts in dealing with these sorts fo things and will not stear you wrong or tell you to do anything that you shouldnt do or woul dharm yoru comp. its a forum just like this but with highly strict rules abotu how you post. I suggest you register read the rules then ask for help and follow everything they tell you too. Im only reccomending thi sbecause about 2 months ago my computer was in a worse state then your and i took it to them and they fixed me right up got my comp clean and gave me info on software that would keep my comp free. they never asked me to pay for anything.

PS: If you have downloading devices or what not (IE Limewire, Utorrent) delete the programs. You dont have to delete the files you downloaded jsut the Program it self. They will not help you if its on there. Its a small price to pay to get some damn good help (in my opinion)

Khanxay
09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Sounds like one of those traps for you to download crappy/fake antivirus software.

Anime Forum
09-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay thank you, I'll tell you guys if anything worse happens.
For now, I'll just take it as a hoax.

Legit
09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Okay thank you, I'll tell you guys if anything worse happens.
For now, I'll just take it as a hoax.

Did it open up and look identical to the Windows security center page? I've gotten that too, it's just a pop-up.

Anime Forum
09-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Did it open up and look identical to the Windows security center page? I've gotten that too, it's just a pop-up.

Yes it did, and so its a random annoying head hurting pop up and it cannot do any damage to my computer?

Dr. Hax
09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
It's just really annoying. That's all. I've gotten it several times before. Online companies want to put up those pop-up messages to see if they can reel you into buying crap. Just "X" it out and refresh the page. Then it's gone.

Anime Forum
09-17-2009, 07:26 PM
It's just really annoying. That's all. I've gotten it several times before. Online companies want to put up those pop-up messages to see if they can reel you into buying crap. Just "X" it out and refresh the page. Then it's gone.

Well that was why I turned the computer off. I couldn't "x" out of the page and my pc froze.

Monkey Fury
09-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Well that was why I turned the computer off. I couldn't "x" out of the page and my pc froze.
Try an anti-virus and malware scan using your installed antivirus software.
Also clean out your cache using CCleaner.

I hope your PC will be fine.

Anime Forum
09-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Try an anti-virus and malware scan using your installed antivirus software.
Also clean out your cache using CCleaner.

I hope your PC will be fine.

Well I did that already and everything seems fine right now. I can't fully say if it was a virus or just a hoax, I guess I will never know or maybe I would know if it happened again.

NorthOfTime
09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Well I did that already and everything seems fine right now. I can't fully say if it was a virus or just a hoax, I guess I will never know or maybe I would know if it happened again.
Stop! NO! the next time this happens it might be the last time.. Get your comp checked now. Im telling you take a Hi Jack This report to Spywarehammer. Just by looking at the report they will tell you wahts wrong and what can be done to fix it. dont wait until its to late.

Miss Moonlight
09-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds likes spyware. Some spyware sites like to scare you into downloading crappy fake antivirus programs. Just run your real antivirus and see if it picks up anything. If it doesn't, you're most likely fine.

Anime Forum
09-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Stop! NO! the next time this happens it might be the last time.. Get your comp checked now. Im telling you take a Hi Jack This report to Spywarehammer. Just by looking at the report they will tell you wahts wrong and what can be done to fix it. dont wait until its to late.

Well okay, I'll take your advice and see what comes from it.

Legit
09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Well okay, I'll take your advice and see what comes from it.

Broly is really overreacting. Pop-ups are no more dangerous than visiting some page on the web. You can get viruses from people's MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, ect. It's just as risky as anything else. Don't get worked up and let his hype get to you.

Anime Forum
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Broly is really overreacting. Pop-ups are no more dangerous than visiting some page on the web. You can get viruses from people's MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, ect. It's just as risky as anything else. Don't get worked up and let his hype get to you.

Is he over reacting? I actually don't think so because I believe some pop ups could be dangerous and could actually harm your computer.

Legit
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Is he over reacting? I actually don't think so because I believe some pop ups could be dangerous and could actually harm your computer.

You failed to see my point. Don't overreact - it's just as dangerous as going to your MySpace or whatever you use. It's most likely harmless.

I just suggest run a weekly scan instead of scanning your computer every time you get a pop-up.

Anime Forum
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
You failed to see my point. Don't overreact - it's just as dangerous as going to your MySpace or whatever you use. It's most likely harmless.

I just suggest run a weekly scan instead of scanning your computer every time you get a pop-up.

Your point of the reply was that he is probably over reacting and its most likely harmless. How do you know for sure its harmless? It may not be harmless and it may be worth asking the "pros" about.

Legit
09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Your point of the reply was that he is probably over reacting and its most likely harmless. How do you know for sure its harmless? It may not be harmless and it may be worth asking the "pros" about.

No.

I'm not saying it's harmless - I'm merely mentioning that it's not worth overreacting over. Run a weekly scan, not every time you get a pop-up.

Anime Forum
09-18-2009, 08:42 PM
No.

I'm not saying it's harmless - I'm merely mentioning that it's not worth overreacting over. Run a weekly scan, not every time you get a pop-up.

I'm not going to check this out everytime I get a pop up o_O, and actually this pop up was acting lethal. It was not a page pop up, it brought me to this security screen or something like that and around fifty mozilla fire fox windows popped up. That's pretty shady if you ask me, but I just may be wrong.

I will be doing weekly scans, I just feel like asking the pros would also be a good idea.

Alias-Revolution
09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I had something similar once:
My buddy Joe was using my computer and something from Antivirus 360 popped up. It asked him to download something to keep my computer from crashing, he did it, and my screen was screwed. It kept acting wrong, and it started turning colors. My anti-virus software was then deleted and I began getting viruses left & right. Well, I wiped my hard drive and re-installed Windows. Needless to say, I lost all my games, emulators, music, movies... He never used my computer again.

Anyway, don't download anything unless you requested it, and don't even look at any anti-virus stuff unless it's from the anti-virus program YOU installed.

NorthOfTime
09-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Over reacting my butt dude. Its never over reacting when it comes to the safety of you personal and private property. While no you should not have personal and private things on a comp (if you really want to keep it hidden) a simple pop-up is all it takes to get mal ware on your comp. So no its not overreacting. To be honest its probably not enough these days. Like ive said before in another thread, i to was once attacked pop up style.. Come to find out i was hijacked by Ukraniens. Luckly only my router took a large hit.

I dont know what you do for a living i dont even know how old you are. But all day every day i work with DOD computers and security clearence required items. All day we hear about how no matter what safety is NOT over hyped. and yes keeping your computer in good condition and un-hacked is keeping you safe.

Deathfinderxx
09-18-2009, 11:24 PM
All that pirate talk hurt my head T.T, i'd suggest useing Antivir to check and see.

Monkey Fury
09-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, it happened to me a while ago but it seems to be fine overall.
Maybe it's just a Javascipt pop-up included in the web page to make the visitors panic.

Legit
09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Over reacting my butt dude. Its never over reacting when it comes to the safety of you personal and private property. While no you should not have personal and private things on a comp (if you really want to keep it hidden) a simple pop-up is all it takes to get mal ware on your comp. So no its not overreacting. To be honest its probably not enough these days. Like ive said before in another thread, i to was once attacked pop up style.. Come to find out i was hijacked by Ukraniens. Luckly only my router took a large hit.

I dont know what you do for a living i dont even know how old you are. But all day every day i work with DOD computers and security clearence required items. All day we hear about how no matter what safety is NOT over hyped. and yes keeping your computer in good condition and un-hacked is keeping you safe.
You're apparently working with very important crap, but over a pop-up? No need to freak out. Of course there is viruses, but you're making it sound like "OMG YOU GOT A VIRUS!!! YOU BETTER CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE IT EXPLODES!!!!". Besides, why scan after pop-ups? My point was if you're going to scan after a pop-up, scan after every page you go on on the web.

NorthOfTime
09-19-2009, 09:22 PM
No if you get a pop up and you have a Pop Up blocker that means somethings not working and thus infected. I dont overreact. i just do what needs to be done. Im not telling the dude to ditch his comp and get a new one.. thats over reacting. My plan will take over a week to finish wich means its not an instant fix but he can continue using my plan for latter things. My plan was more of a "Fix this and still have something to fix later things"

Anime Forum
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
You're apparently working with very important crap, but over a pop-up? No need to freak out. Of course there is viruses, but you're making it sound like "OMG YOU GOT A VIRUS!!! YOU BETTER CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE IT EXPLODES!!!!". Besides, why scan after pop-ups? My point was if you're going to scan after a pop-up, scan after every page you go on on the web.

Why would I scan every single time I go on a web page, I would have to scan very often and virus' could be very bad actually. I'm not saying this one is horrible but I agree with Broly that asking the pros about it cannot hurt. Also some pop ups can be worse than others, not all of them are the same.

Legit
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
No if you get a pop up and you have a Pop Up blocker that means somethings not working and thus infected. I dont overreact. i just do what needs to be done. Im not telling the dude to ditch his comp and get a new one.. thats over reacting. My plan will take over a week to finish wich means its not an instant fix but he can continue using my plan for latter things. My plan was more of a "Fix this and still have something to fix later things"

Not necessarily. They continually update things like pop-up blocker, anti-virus protection, ect., by seeing how the pop-ups and viruses make it around their product.

But anyways, it's not that big of a deal. I've gotten the same pop-up (or at least the Windows Security Center "infected" thing.)

Why would I scan every single time I go on a web page, I would have to scan very often and virus' could be very bad actually. I'm not saying this one is horrible but I agree with Broly that asking the pros about it cannot hurt. Also some pop ups can be worse than others, not all of them are the same.

The point in saying to scan after the web page thing is just telling you that web pages are just as deadly (if not more) as pop-ups. I'm not here telling you to scan - I'm just saying it's hoax 90% of the time on the pop-up. It's (obviously) a fake picture. But you just seemed to freak out because a pop-up had the Windows Security Center popped up.)

Anime Forum
09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I do believe you, I would just like to be better safe then sorry because something like this happened to me before and I paid the price for it, and when I say pay the price for it I mean literally!

Legit
09-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I do believe you, I would just like to be better safe then sorry because something like this happened to me before and I paid the price for it, and when I say pay the price for it I mean literally!

I'd suggest AVG (it's free), and it has an auto daily scan (you set the time). Comes in handy.

Saint Seiya
09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
lol its just a pop up, its one of those fake anti virus ads that tell you to download it in order to get rid of 236452346 fake viruses. It doesnt mean your computer is infected Just close it, however
you should get some cleaning tool like ccleaner and theres this good free anty spyware program called malwarebytes. And of course have an antivirus. There are good free antivurs out there such as avira avg and avast

Anime Forum
09-21-2009, 01:52 PM
lol its just a pop up, its one of those fake anti virus ads that tell you to download it in order to get rid of 236452346 fake viruses. It doesnt mean your computer is infected Just close it, however
you should get some cleaning tool like ccleaner and theres this good free anty spyware program called malwarebytes. And of course have an antivirus. There are good free antivurs out there such as avira avg and avast

This is what I was wondering. I couldn't close it because the window was frozen and everytime I tried to close it more errors appeared and it was one huge mess.

Saint Seiya
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
yea its happened to me too, you cant go back or close it. If you wanna have an idea of how to fix some stuff on ur comp i recommend watching some youtube videos. I like this channel http://www.youtube.com/user/mrizos he has nice tutorials and tests different anti viruses.

Gero50
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Well if your own anivirus soft found it then the odds are yes it is some type of virus or spyware. If it was one of those internet risk checks then most likely no your computer is fine. You were right to do something quick to get out of there though cause, often those types of websites give people viruses and then charge you for their software to remove them. It has happened t me before but I never bought the junk I just got rid of the virus.

devendra3047
09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
first of all i would like to tell you that i am a big big big WWE fan.
specially i love HBK and JOHN CENA.
and talking about your problem, so just to turn off your computer can not solve the problem. but you install a good anti virus system and scan your system properly.
and by the ways have fun watching WWE.

Anime Forum
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
first of all i would like to tell you that i am a big big big WWE fan.
specially i love HBK and JOHN CENA.
and talking about your problem, so just to turn off your computer can not solve the problem. but you install a good anti virus system and scan your system properly.
and by the ways have fun watching WWE.

Yea I already figured turning off the computer wouldn't help and my computer has been scanned and it seems fine. Is it possible for any type of virus to hide from those scans? Just wondering.

TheAsterisk!
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
The best scammy 'alerts' are the ones that try to look real official but are full of Engrish and have the scroll bar outside of the rest of the window. They're quite funny in their own clumsy way.
As for worrying about all pop-ups- if you're that paranoid, you may as well just disconnect your computer from all networks. Then it's definitely safe from remote threats, eh?
A good compromise, though, might be to disable ActiveX (if you're still in IE, and maybe Firefox, too- a Windows update dropped in some .NET gunk) and javascripts. The method varies from browser to browser, but those seem popular with fans of foil hats.

@ Broly3k8, previous page: Do I understand you correctly? Department of Defense computers deal with pop-ups? Does that mean they're on the Internet?
Whose idea was that?

By the way, in my experience, anti-virus software is more akin to antibiotics than to a vaccine. If you need to use it, you're probably already in trouble, and it doesn't prevent too much.
You have a firewall up and running, I hope?

@-Raiken-, directly above: Anything is possible, but if the scan shows nothing I wouldn't fret too much. You can always try scanning that computer from another type of OS if you're really worried or if there are other signs that something is amiss. I periodically check my WinXP installation from Linux, though it's more to make sure I don't pass anything on to it and I can't really recommend any one program for it.

As long as I'm going on and on here, people need to be as suspicious of links and locations (and people) on the Internet as they might be in a foul neighborhood. Most of the trouble comes when computer users go cavorting about the web carelessly and then stumble into the wrong dark, dank cellar to be greeted by electronic malcontents.

NorthOfTime
09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
The best scammy 'alerts' are the ones that try to look real official but are full of Engrish and have the scroll bar outside of the rest of the window. They're quite funny in their own clumsy way.
As for worrying about all pop-ups- if you're that paranoid, you may as well just disconnect your computer from all networks. Then it's definitely safe from remote threats, eh?
A good compromise, though, might be to disable ActiveX (if you're still in IE, and maybe Firefox, too- a Windows update dropped in some .NET gunk) and javascripts. The method varies from browser to browser, but those seem popular with fans of foil hats.

@ Broly3k8, previous page: Do I understand you correctly? Department of Defense computers deal with pop-ups? Does that mean they're on the Internet?
Whose idea was that?

By the way, in my experience, anti-virus software is more akin to antibiotics than to a vaccine. If you need to use it, you're probably already in trouble, and it doesn't prevent too much.
You have a firewall up and running, I hope?

@-Raiken-, directly above: Anything is possible, but if the scan shows nothing I wouldn't fret too much. You can always try scanning that computer from another type of OS if you're really worried or if there are other signs that something is amiss. I periodically check my WinXP installation from Linux, though it's more to make sure I don't pass anything on to it and I can't really recommend any one program for it.

As long as I'm going on and on here, people need to be as suspicious of links and locations (and people) on the Internet as they might be in a foul neighborhood. Most of the trouble comes when computer users go cavorting about the web carelessly and then stumble into the wrong dark, dank cellar to be greeted by electronic malcontents.
Yes we do deal with Pop-ups. Yes they're on the internet.. but they have their own network as well. But for me just a regular Joe schmoe we get stuck with computers that are just hooked up to regular internet. And yes we have pop-up problems occasionaly as well.. But trust me. other then the occasional rogue random pup up these things are squeeky clean when it comes to virus protection and stuff.