PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to protect your computer?

niKopol
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
What do you use to protect your computer(s) from virus', spy-ware, ad-ware and all that lovable stuff that is on the internet?

Personally I never have need of them anymore. But none the less what do you use? What do you not use? What do you hate/love? And don't forget the reasons why.

Blixium
09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't use anything. I never go near any attack sites so I have no use for them.

But if I did get a virus or something then I'd probably manually delete it or just use free virus programs around the net, they do the job.

I usually always get a version of McAffee for my retarded parents though, they get so much spyware and crap on it somehow. o_O

Daken.
09-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I would not use norton, But I do use AVG. And I havent got a infection/virus yet while using it. Plus its light weight so yah.

Eris
09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
This would be me:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

Miss Moonlight
09-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I just reformatted my XP desktop and changed a few programs. I kept the good ones, but got a new virus scanner. I used to use AVG free 8.0, but I didn't like it; it took up too many resources and my computer only has 256mb of RAM. ;[

So now I use (all latest versions):
Hijackthis
Spybot Search and Destroy
Avira AntiVir Personal Free Virus Scanner (it's fast and lightweight)

I rarely get viruses or spyware/malware, though.

None of the above
09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Using Avast after having to get rid of McAffee.
I am very pleased with it.

SigmaSD
09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I use Avira Antivirus and Ad-Aware for my laptop and CA antivirus for my other computer. Ironically enough, I only get an infection whenever my sis uses it, since she visits practically anything. I heard that myspace has a lot of infections as well, so she might get then from there.

RaShayRitto
09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
i prefer not to use any real-time "protection" software. I like all my resources available to me for various tasks. So basically i survive off common sense. I do run some scans now an then when i have nothing to do but i cant STAND having some memory hog in the background popping up messages and generally interfering with my computing experience.

Khanxay
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
avast!, Ad-aware, a-squared, Malwarebyte's anti-maware, spyware blaster, and SUPERAntispyware.

I do a full scan with avast! the first of each month, and scan with one anti-malware thing on every Sunday. Oh, and it's not my computer.

Atsui Sake
09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
NOTHING! Even when I did have antivirus software, I never ran it because of how slow it was. I just go online and do a Housecall every few months and only end up with cookies and one or two occasional worms. Either way though, I like to think I'm pretty good at avoiding stuff that will cause me to have to reformat. Haven't formatted since I got my machine, except for when I put Win7 on my other hard drive and ended up messing up the boot files on both disks.

Aizmov
09-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Common sense and Linux/X/GNU/Fluxbox :cool:

I also run Tiger and Snow Leopard ;)

Ryuuzaki HD
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Windows Live OneCare so far so good no viruses.

Gero50
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free one but it gets the job done for me nicely.

Cobra Commander
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Anti-virus - Avira Antivir Personal. It's free, and it works.

I have, on occasion, used spybot and ad-aware, but I've found that since the last two XP updates, switching to Firefox, and some common sense on my part, I have no need of them.

I don't really need Avira, but I keep it around because it has stopped trojans and supposedly a worm in the past. It doesn't hog resources, either.

Switching to Firefox was probably one of the smartest things I ever did, computer-wise. After about a year, I don't even like IE anymore.

No one try to tell me about Chrome. My Uncle uses it and it infuriates me to no end.

gaburieru
09-17-2009, 03:07 AM
For the whole network I use a hardwarefirewall and my wlan is encrypted.

On my Mac and Linux-box I have softwarefirewalls. On the faildows-box I use avira antivirus along with Outpost firewall.

I would not use norton, But I do use AVG. And I havent got a infection/virus yet while using it. Plus its light weight so yah.
How can you be so sure?

Storm Strife
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Probably too bleeding much.

avast! anti-virus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, HijackThis, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Windows Defender, Trend Micro RootkitBuster, COMODO Firewall.

I also have Sandboxie installed, just in case I'm feeling extra paranoid/risky.

devendra3047
09-24-2009, 02:18 AM
i have installed AVG antivirus system.
it has really protected my pc.
i find it to be great.

Gjallarhorn
09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
In the two years I've had this laptop I've used nothing, and I've never had any problem with it. I got a trojan once through some german file hosting site with a malicious pop-up, but that that was an easy fix...it was also one of only two instances I've used IE on this laptop.

I actually tried Avast last month, and used it for about two weeks. Didn't notice any sort of difference beyond the fact that it made my entire computer crawl. I got rid of it because I like playing simple games such Age of Empires 2 without having massive lag...and not waiting 10 seconds for a folder to open.

Seņor Nobody
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
I use...
avast! anti-virus
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows Defender

They serve me pretty well. No problems yet.

TheAsterisk!
09-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I typically run 'round the Internet on Linux of some sort, so it's pretty safe, and I keep a software firewall up on each of them, but I still need to boot into XP now and then, so it gets tedious.
I have a simple virus scanner on my Linux OSs to try and keep from passing on any of the nasties to XP, and XP has its own firewall and scanner installed, too.

By the way, what's with everyone telling everyone exactly which apps, right down to the version numbers sometimes, they use? If you're worried enough to keep watch for the nasties, why let everyone in on which countermeasures you've deployed? Seems a little counter-productive to me.
That, or there just aren't enough tin-hats in this forum.

@Eris: Should've had flamethrowers mounted on the bike.

AshCrimson
10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Avira for the AV and Zonealarm for the Firewall, or COMODO if for some reason zone is having some problems.

Ranshiin
10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, for me I've been using the same system protection for a few years, and never had any problems:

Avast (Pro on laptop, Home on desktop) - brilliant free AV and I never have trouble with it
Windows Firewall
Spybot - I don't have the scanner running though, I only use it to scan periodically.

People will ask why I use Windows Firewall, and that's because I watch what I do on the Internet, so I have no need for a resource-hogging firewall. Also, my router has its own firewall, which tends to block more stuff than I'd like it to. -.-

Kuresuma
10-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I have firefox, which comes with internet safty, but on my other computers I use Norton Security Scan and/or firefox. ^^
Hope this helps.

ZenErik
10-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I have a Mac. No anti-virus needed currently. :)

bee.
10-03-2009, 06:33 PM
ESET smart sec.

div
10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I use the Common Sense Security Suite :P

In all seriousness, most of that can be avoided by not visiting shady websites, and keeping your web browser and operating system up-to-date.

SigmaSD
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I have CA and Avira in my other computer because it always got so infected (b/c apparently people don't understand when I say not to visit certain sites). I installed Avira today and it took care of like 20 infections and now runs like a race car. *victory sign*

lilminx
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
i use avg, its pretty good

Ashminigun
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Agreed. Common sense and an anti-virus program (in my case, AVG) goes hand to hand. You cannot leave out any one of it.

Yes, Linux and Mac are not prone to virus/malicious attack compared to its Windows counterpart but I don't give a 100% trust on that level of security.

Kalay
10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Well.. I used Spybot Search and Destroy. AVG. And Malware. I dunno.. my hometown computer guys just put it on there for me when I took my computer in to get it some help.. lol

Maaylynn; aka Chrissy

rwarn852
10-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Zone Alarm. Not easy to set up and learn but great protection

sa5m
10-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I get some free Sophos for my Mac from the university. No idea how well that works.

dadan
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
as of now I am using avira AntiVir personal...it is for free!and i found it just fine to protect my pc from any viruses.

surotzky
10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
hmmm..I think I should try avira Antivir it might satisfy the needs of my pc.

hmmm..Im having a hard time on what to use..

Ryuuzaki HD
10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm using Norton 360 for my new PC.

Sora Rosario
10-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm using the same thing along with Malwarebytes. XD

AndrewJose
10-30-2009, 03:46 AM
I use

Antivirus

and dust cover to protect my computer

Ka-ririn
11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Kaspersky Antivirus 7.0 is pretty good until now.

chii-chan91
11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Norton Internet Security... its not bad i guess, its just kinda annoying sometimes when it blocks things that im trying to view, thinking that just cause it opens in a new window it MUST be dangerous... and then it lets through other random stuff sometimes like the weird new smilies download thing and party poker- but it stopped a virus one time so i guess i cant complain too much:)

.Tatty.
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
im an avast man ;D

and if anything does find its way trough i will run an avast scan and a MalwareBytes scan :3

my laptop came with macaffee /tear

Wio
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I use AVG and spybot, and I don't seem to have many problems.

Dani0
11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I use nothing.

Anime Forum
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't even think their is any point in installing any virus protection program because my computer seems fully un fixable in that category. I use Spy - Ware though even though that isn't helping much anymore.

wizz-o-matic
11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
a huge hammer ... it always works

Bulf
11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I use Avast, but I miss Norton. =/

Kally
11-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I use Avast Anitivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Zone Alarm and Spyware Blaster (:

nioniosmeg
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
This would be me:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

And THAT would be me:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7807/linuxuseratbestbuy.png

Android 18
12-04-2009, 03:05 PM
I used AVG for a little while, but I didn't like it. So now I use Norton 360 Premier Edition. I just recently upgraded it.

Sr Machinehead
12-13-2009, 04:35 AM
i use AVG 8.0 and its worked well. the only time I've haven't gotten a virus in a while. i just switch computers due to my computers pure badness. 256 to a half gig of ram does not treat me well. also i use this due to me downloading loads of junk that i provide to all the people wouldnt know how to activate the flash on a psp.

Viral_
12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I used to use Avira only, but Santa Claus brought me a rootkit and a lot of trojans last week...
I spent my christmas to remove them! :curses:
But now my PC is as safe as houses :crossfing
-Avira (A crap, I know...)
-Spybot and TeaTimer
-PeerGuardian 2 with billions and billions of blocked Ips
-"No script" for firefox

Now the system is damn slow, but at least I can surfing the web safe xD

Bayonetta
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I use Norton Internet Security.

Alorumin
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
i use AVG 9, but ive heard that Norman antivirus is a very good program aswell.

Alorumin
12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I use Norton Internet Security.

ouch ! norton is worse than a virus itself :P i would go with something else if i wer you.

alex3047
01-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I use AVG anti virus but not satisfied yet, so recently i purchase a quick heel licensed version.

poshyterra
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
i use defender pro. i'm really satisfied with it. i've had no viruses or issues and i've used it for windows xp and vista.

.fnhvmnvmv
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Useing AVG antivirus system - I've had Kaspersky AntiVirus before.

blueangel06661
01-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I use avast. I'm not really sure how well it's working but I hope it is. I used to use a different one and it worked really well but then my subscription ran out and I had to go to a free one. But I was told Avast was the way to go, so I went that way.

Khanxay
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I am now currently using Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's rather nice.

Miss Moonlight
01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Hijackthis
Avira Antivirus Free
Spybot Search & Destroy

And CCleaner.

jackprw1
01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm assuming that giving this info doesn't put security at risk - perhaps someone could say if it does!

I use 1) Firewall inbuilt in router
2) Sygate firewall is on computer in case of router failure but I turn it off when logged on.
3) Microsoft firewall turned off
4) Avast antivirus
5) Spywareblaster
6)Prevx Intrusion prevention
7) Ewido - not full version which has expired & you have to pay for.

Everything seems fine at the moment. (I recently changed set up as I was getting a few viruses and trojans.)

Bayonetta
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
ouch ! norton is worse than a virus itself :P i would go with something else if i wer you.
Heh, well not anymore. Right now I'm using AVG 9.
x]

Gero50
02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I use to use AVG now I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It works much better and has a much nicer virus signature database. Plus like AVG it is also light weight and dose not completely bog down your computer white it is in operation.

Schindler
03-26-2010, 06:38 AM
I use Virex. It's a virus protection for Mac OS. (: Works really well.

Token Black Guy
03-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Spybot S&D With Tea Timer
Windows Defender
Spywareblaster
Avast

Hypatia
03-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I use Avira antivir personal well its free, good at removing trojans.
McAfee total protection

Miss Moonlight
04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Well, last night, I removed Avira Anti-virus Free edition, and found ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus.

It isn't free, but you can try it for 30 days. The best thing about it so far is that it uses a very low amount of resources, and has a easy to use and clean interface.

Also depending on how you configure it, it scans pretty quickly. My computer has been running a lot more smoothly since I removed Avira and installed it.

NOD has it's own built-in real time spyware/malware scanner also, but I still use Spybot S&D as well.

I've used in the past:
AVG Free
Avira
Avast!

ESET NOD32 in my opinion, is the best one i've found so far.

dark_sonatine
04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I use Sophos Anti Virus and Malware Bytes anti malware.

Hideki Motosuwa.
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Norton Internet Security... its not bad i guess, its just kinda annoying sometimes when it blocks things that im trying to view, thinking that just cause it opens in a new window it MUST be dangerous... and then it lets through other random stuff sometimes like the weird new smilies download thing and party poker- but it stopped a virus one time so i guess i cant complain too much:)
Ugh, I don't like Norton -_- The same thing happens with Comodo Internet Security, which is one of the things I use to protect my PC. It always pops up when you're trying to load a program or game and it gets so annoying lol. This new "Sandbox" feature ticks me off even more. And Comodo sometimes produces false positives. An example would be when it detected Heur Dual Extensions as a virus or something. It's not a virus.

Hijackthis
Avira Antivirus Free
Spybot Search & Destroy

And CCleaner.
Ah, finally someone mentions CCleaner.

Anyways, I use:

-Comodo Internet Security-which includes: Firewall, Defense and Antivirus. The only drawbacks are: It takes FOREVER to install, it produces more false positives than you can take, the annoying pop ups and the scanning takes close to an hour to complete.

-Trojan Remover: It does what it says. You get to use it 30 times, not 30 days, unless you're willing to pay to get a licensed verison.

-Windows Defender and Firewall: already pre-installed on my Vista OS. It works pretty well, but people will say that having two or more firewalls could conflict with each other. Well, I see no problem in that department :)

-And CCleaner. It's small, fast and removes junk. I've read reviews from people that it messed up their PC, but that's not the case with me :)

Btw, I always clear my history, cookies and other stuff just to be safe(you can say I'm a bit on the paranoid side, but I have no reason no to be). I know you can set it up so Firefox automatically deletes your browsing history every time you exit, but I just enjoy doing it manually. And I just bookmark the sites I don't want to forget about, instead of letting it sit there along with cookies.

Light Buster
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I, don't, have one for my computer yet. I'm looking for a free and reliable computer security program with no luck. Shame on me...

MrJunge
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I use Symantec AntiVirus, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

And a douse of pixie (http://tinyurl.com/yekwdqo) dust.

Professor Love
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I use AVG and common sense. Also my browser has ad block so that helps prevent malware.

Gero50
04-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I use AVG and common sense. Also my browser has ad block so that helps prevent malware.
Pop-up blockers can prevent some malware but only because they prevent the pop-up from running on your browser. I think AVG is a pretty good one considering it is a free one that is. It will never be as secure as something like NOD32 or Trend Micro. But it is good enough for most people.

IFS
04-09-2010, 01:48 AM
bit defender internet security 2010, I really can't complain about it, it works really well, except the 64bit installer didn't want to install on my machine

Kiryu
04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
What I use to protect my computer is fire wall and AVG

Hugo-Kof
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Kaspersky Antivirus 2010 and common sense. I know what websites to visit and what websites to avoid, but I have the Internet Security suite just in case.

RaShayRitto
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
i recently started using Panda Cloud, it integrates into the windows shell and i've all around had a good experience with it. the interface is deceptively simple, but the detection and prevention seems pretty strong. i decided to give it a shot since it got the PC mag editor's choice for free antivirus programs

i like it because i dont even know its there unless i need it or it catches something. i hate big in your face programs that bog down resources and pop up notices

sylvi
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
As much as I love using Linux, I find myself using Windows XP primarily anyway. Granted I'm not retarded with my computer use, I don't need much more than AVG to protect me. It's done me perfectly fine for a good few years, and even after I scan with it and occasionally SpyBot, nothing serious ever really comes up.

haricklewik
04-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Past few months i faced virus problem in my computer and i am really worried.than i said my friend he is a hard ware engineer after few days he came in my home than he checked and said me a virus has spread in your computer.he gave me a anti virus and now my computer working much better.

(http://www.articlesbase.com/dental-care-articles/alpine-white-teeth-whitening-review-amp-free-trial-2212431.html)

truthillusion
05-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Spybot-Search and Destroy and the free version of Avast. The perfect combination I've seen in all my years so far.

johnkalli1990
06-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I am using Avira Anti-Virus to protect my computer against foreign invasion.

lencemark
06-18-2010, 02:35 AM
well i use Norton and its really good has never let me down and tells me when it needs to update if i were u id get Norton its really good and easy to use!!!

Furore
06-18-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm kind of paranoid about malware obtained from the net so I run my internet through a Windows XP Professional Virtual Machine through whichever flavour of Linux I'm loving most at the current point in time.

Anything happens I can just restore from a previous backup though to conserve available hard drive space I limit my virtual machines to 120gb at most.
EDIT: And I run whichever anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-rootkit and anti-spyware applications come most recommended to me on top of that.

-Kitsune-
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Avira Antivirus for me, at the moment :3
Works just like AVG, but doesn't pull o much on system resources, gladly.

Assiduous✡Aristocrat
06-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't need anything!

1gn1t0r
06-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't use any firewall or any anti spyware
For anti virus I got Avira AntiVir personal

So far my pc has been working great with those for a few years now

Alastor1
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Nothing. Using linux as main OS. Didn't catch anything ( awesome penguin :cool: )
Firewall works very well indeed.
Firefox has got nice AdBlock to save me from these annoying floating/popping/noisy/colorful/animated/stupid web ads.
Opera is good as well with modified scripts ( the one that includes 100s of lines excluding web pages resulting in ads ).

losecontrol
08-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I use avast and doctor spyware and windows defender which comes with your pc.

xAria
08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't really need anything, but there are multiple users on this computer. So you can never be too sure. (Microsoft Security Essentials)

Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan
08-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm using the most recent version of AVG. I have yet to get a virus while using this.

Izzy Stizzlebonk
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
One of my computers has Avira/Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and the other one has Ad-Aware v8.3.1. I like both. Don't know why I have a different setup, to be honest. I guess I like playing with software.

Killapac
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I use avast and Bit defender!

Miss Moonlight
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Since upgrading to windows 7, i've changed some of the programs I used.

ESETNOD32 Anti-virus - I've used AVG free, Avast, and others before, and this one is just a lot better than any others i've tried.

Hijackthis - been using this for a while.

Windows Defender -actually never used this before, or relied on windows to take care of scanning for spyware, but it seems alright.

Spybot - I had to uninstall this, which kinda pissed me off since I was a long time user of it. I have no idea what was wrong with it, but it didn't seem to load well on windows 7, it hung on startup and so I removed it.

CCleaner - awesome program that cleans out crap, temp files, etc.

System Ninja - a small .exe file that also cleans out needed files, including unwanted startup entries if you can't find them manually in the registry. This one is also awesome because it updates ccleaner's items to clean various programs (windows media player, microsoft word, etc.)

Hanamaru Kunikida
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
It's really difficult to get a virus, unless you go to different porno sites, or download things without checking correctly.

Killapac
09-04-2010, 05:34 PM
It's really difficult to get a virus, unless you go to different porno sites, or download things without checking correctly. I downloaded ati drivers from Amd's site and i got a virus.

Mrmojorisin74
09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Norton seems to work fairly well on my 'puter.

Light Buster
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I used to have no protection but now I use AVG Anti-Virus 9.0 Free Version. Although I have to update it constantly, I least have protection.

SlickStretch
10-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Comodo Anti-Virus and Firewall (It's free.)
Spybot Search & Destroy (It's also free.)

Marin
10-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I use Avast for security and Spybot S&D for cleaning.

I have a Mac. No anti-virus needed currently. :)

Unlike Linux, which actually has non-conventional security built in, Mac is not secure. I would seriously consider changing this dangerous practice.

Bisoux
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I use the most recent version of AVG.

Rei
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Norton protection centre and spyware.

.:neuko:.
10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
An alsatian! (Mwahahhaha!)

AVG Internet Security helps too...

OokamiYokai
11-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I use Kaspersky Pure.

DigitalOkami
11-26-2010, 03:54 PM
AVG Free Version. It's free and it's one of the best Anti-Viruses. It'll tell you what sites are safe to go on right in your browser, Scans your computer daily and if you download a file you think is safe it'll automaticly pop up and get rid of the virus if there is one in the file. Hope this helps. :)

DarkMoonPrince
11-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I just use the simple Norton Internet Security, and the Online Backup.

Captian Jack sparrow
01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
i use avast free antivirus along with advanced system care 3 and it works great.

demonix
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
i use avast free antivirus along with advanced system care 3 and it works great.
TBH I wouldn't use anything from a company that has such little morals as IOBit since they just steal what they need (they was caught out when they were found to have stolen malwarebytes definition database and used it in their own software).

Lily Rock
01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Avast!
If I get any bad viruses, I bring in the Tactical Nuke of Antiviruses... SuperAniSpyware!

Ghost
01-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I use Spyware

Xanfiore
01-03-2011, 06:40 AM
I normally use Avast only.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I use AVG, works just fine.

Aleyna
01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Forgive me AF users, but I hate AVG with a passion! >_<
I use Avast. :) The free version is annoying, so I have the pro version now. AVG freeware is annoying too though...

zekes
02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I am using Avira anti-virus and COMODO firewall to protect my computer from bad sectors that will affect its performance.

SirDan
02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I spent most of my childhood and teenage years finding cracks and hacks for anything and everything in terms of virus protection and firewalls. Now I'm older, and despite how much I said Norton was crap as a kid... I bought Norton 360 Premier Edition, it protects three computers at home and I buy a new subcription every year. I never get any problems.

Mattey
02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Avast and if i get any virus like small things i do a reset to a date like 1 day ago :P

Meteorkeeper
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I never know what to use to protect myself from spyware so I tend to jump around alot.

For antivirus I use Antivir it's free and I find it fairly effective.

Xeyuzio
02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I use Norton since my McAfee just sucks now. ;;>_>

YuriEcchiGirl
03-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Norton 360 is what I use to protect my computer ^^

law~
03-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I normally use ESET NOD32 ^^;
But when it's something hard to get rid off, I use a few others.. (Kaspersky, Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, AVG)
Installing and uninstalling is a pain! But there's no virus that will stay for ever in my computer >:(

Navigator
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Well I was always kind of used to using Norton's because it's what my dad always used
and he would just set my computer up with it. But lately all I ever have on mine is AVG.
And I think it does the job just fine. But Srk thinks that my computer just sucks because it's
and Acer and gets a virus super easy. Hahaha. Who knows. My computer works fine and let's
me do what I want it do! So yay!

Penshiru
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
AVG works fine for me and its easy to use

battousai_ryuu
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Norton Antivirus. It's the only one I've ever had any luck with.

Souhi
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Kaspersky. Very reliable.

Malai Chan
04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
I get this warning in my Pc if I am surfing through any dangerous site.
So I don't usually have problem.But for safer use I have programmed
Avira.

Nesh
04-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Kaspersky and Panda Anti-Virus

╠-The Neo-╣
04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Malware Bytes and Norton Anti-Virus

Gizoku
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I juggled different anti-viruses such as Avast, Webroot, AVG, Ad-Aware they were usually too heavy of a program so I chose Malwarebytes & Bitdefender, they're perfect for me :D

I A
04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
For my Windows XP I've always stuck to AVG Free Edition. My Mac I'm not sure what exactly stops the viruses but I've never had any problems.

Navigator
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
I have AVG, like I said. And just last night, I got a virus.
I am super bummed.
It's this thing that pops up and it says something about Win 7 Security.
It says that I need to update blah blah. And I have had it once before on my old
laptop. And I don't know how to get rid of it. I'm sad. ):

demonix
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I have AVG, like I said. And just last night, I got a virus.
I am super bummed.
It's this thing that pops up and it says something about Win 7 Security.
It says that I need to update blah blah. And I have had it once before on my old
laptop. And I don't know how to get rid of it. I'm sad. ):
Malwarebytes anti-malware is normally the tool to use to get rid of those fake programs (although some are a bit harder to remove) although most anti-virus programs can't protect against those kinds of infections since they're altered on a almost daily basis to get around any definition updates for their older versions (although I'd never recommend the free version of AVG to anyone since it is so completely useless).

Navigator
04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Malwarebytes anti-malware is normally the tool to use to get rid of those fake programs (although some are a bit harder to remove) although most anti-virus programs can't protect against those kinds of infections since they're altered on a almost daily basis to get around any definition updates for their older versions (although I'd never recommend the free version of AVG to anyone since it is so completely useless).

Well hey thanks for the advice. But I fixed it. I didn't think I had but I turned on my
computer to work on it some more this afternoon, and nothing popped up when I got on,
so I searched for it.. and nothing was there. But I'm sure it will end up coming back. Ugh.

Emphasis
04-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Using BitDefender.

Thu Giam
05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
For some of those who don't know Linux is weak to /mostly/ rootkits, so I use ClamAV for that. Although I've never gotten one, I have found that it can be attacked by some Trojans disguised as rootkits. ClamAV may be one of the best for Linux.

smile1010
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I used to use avast! not so long ago but it wasn't working for this new/used computer i brought my family from California. So right now browsing through this forum, I've seen a lot of people repeat AVG. I haven't ran it yet but hopefully it'll work out. If anybody else has any bright idea's please inform me. I'm desperate. This computer is more infected then a plane full of passenger's with the H1N1 virus.

OokamiYokai
05-06-2011, 04:29 AM
I used to use AVG before, but i tryed out Norton 360 a few days back. and i gotta say i love how it is now. it works really well. by far one of the best Antivirus software outthere atm. i remeber trying it a few years back and i didnt like it at all back then. but now i willl defently get a full version afther used up my trail :) search up norton internet security on youtube ect and you can see how good feadback it gets from testers.
kaspersky and avasts are also very good once tough.

Mang
05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
I use absolute nothing at all. I even allow viruses to roam on my computer as long as it does not interfere with my browsing experience( No slowdowns or anything). I just don't give a damn. o.o. When things do get bad (which is every 9 months or so) and I boot up in safe mode and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (On full scan) and hope it takes care of everything....

If it doesnt, worst case scenario is Avast! Full Scan or Reinstallation of Windows.

Eruibar
05-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I've been using Norton Enterprise for about four years now (got it from my university), and I'm happy to say I haven't had a virus since I've been using it. Definitely quite a lot of Spyware, though. I use SpyBot to clean those up, though.

Locust
07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I use avast.
They give you a free version or just get a full version. Very good daily updates with audio commands.
All these people saying they don't need anti-virus because they don't visit dangerous websites are chatting shit.
Viruses and dodgy malware is everywhere.

Kaien
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm rarely to mess by viruses 'cause i'm always avoiding the attacking sites. Sometimes when my flashdrive was infected its because the other computer i used is already infected. but when it comes to my computer the viruses were automatically deleted or quarantined by ESET-NOD anti-virus/-spyware ..if my computer goes to be inevitable infected, i'll make some back up files then no choice..need reformatting.

Havoc
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I use eset Nod32. I have a folder on an external drive that is excluded from all scans which is where I put things that I "use" that would set the scanners off. I use the program as clients for the rest of the network and I manage all the stations from my computer.

Mostly I exercise common sense when browsing but having been in the game for so long I know what is happening behind the scenes on even the so called friendly web sites So nowadays some form of protection is always required. I also spend a great amount of time in onion land so I never venture in there without securing my station.

I also like malewarebytes for a monthly scan of spyware. They have a pretty aggressive heuristics engine which seems to be the most effective.

Kittyinpink
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
free version of AVG

MAKASOUL
07-10-2011, 01:47 PM
i use norton internet security 2011 it stopped a terible virus from getting into my computer.

Velvet_Nightmare
07-10-2011, 11:19 PM
PC Tools Spyware Doctor

It's worked for me for almost two years now

Machipa
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I use Avast!, CCleaner, and Advanced System Care.

Screwby
07-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Got Norton 2011. Used to use Malwarebytes and CCleaner

Xeyuzio
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
I've only used McAfee and Norton, they suck. McAfee managed to leave a corrupted ink file that shows up in all the users profile and cannot delete and Norton is a bit better but slows down everything.

Kit21
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
AVG
Used to have Norton but it ruined one of my computers.

Sejskaler
07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Avast! For my internet, and Malwarebytes for general, and for a backup i have my Microsoft Essentials ^^

Except that, i have alot of knowledge in computing, so if i should ever get a FUD virus, i can remove it manually ;)

Token Black Guy
07-18-2011, 03:29 PM
My homie hooked me up with Norton 360 and i like it. Did a quick scan and it works well, plus it freed up some space on my laptop. I had Avast with a password that would last me a while. The good part of avast was the boot scan, but it felt like it didn't do much for some reason.

Ezza Obsuna
07-20-2011, 03:00 AM
i use avira. ive had no problems so far.