PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Hardware] Big Problem Need Lots of Help

NorthOfTime
09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok recently my wife kicked my laptop screen and broke it. I had to wait a month before i could get it replaced and wehn i finally did i had forgotten my password to log on. Need serious help as this is my life line while at work. Can someone pls help me. My next step is to take it into my locale computer shop and have them work magic. Id rather not spend the cash.

Teddy2116
09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I really can't think of anything expect wiping the hard drive, but doubt you wanna do that. Maybe try logging on to the admin of your comp and overwrite the password if you can

FlashD
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Discussing how to hack software is not allowed. If you need to retrieve your password ask your OS's tech support. Thank you.

EDIT: After talking to Princess Minako we decided to re-open this thread.

Gero50
09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok recently my wife kicked my laptop screen and broke it. I had to wait a month before i could get it replaced and wehn i finally did i had forgotten my password to log on. Need serious help as this is my life line while at work. Can someone pls help me. My next step is to take it into my locale computer shop and have them work magic. Id rather not spend the cash.

I have had that problem before as well, not the kicking the screen part though. Anyway the best thin to do is try and think a little of things you put down for your other passwords. Just keep trying new ones until it oes and you're logged in. If in fact you cannot get the password taking it in would be the best thing. The reason is because they can sometimes recover data of your hard disk without the need for a password. ood luck and I hope this helps.

KleinKiessling
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
The best thing to do for a forgotten password, if you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT remember it, is to take it to the computer store. If it's under warranty, hopefully they can do their "magic" (Heck if /I/ know what they do. I'm not a technician or anything!) I think they would have a thing they plug in to automatically log them on, or something. If that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say, you'll have to wipe your hard drive, buddy. :(

Eris
09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
It is possible to reset the password, but it is a non-trivial process that's very easy to do wrong (leading to a completely unrecoverable system). You can also use software to crack the password, but I'm not going to go into how to do that due to the possibility that knowledge falling into the wrong hands.

The best thing you can do is probably to take a Linux livecd, use that to burn backups of whatever like documents and crud you want to keep onto a DVD, and then reinstall windows from scratch.

Kaitou Ace
09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
You can try logging into safe mode (hit F8 before the windows loading screen comes up) and select safe mode from the list. A lot of systems have a default "Administrator" account that can be accessed this way.

Also check lifehacker.com, and search for how to reset your windows xp password, but nearly all methods will need a windows disk.

wizz-o-matic
09-11-2009, 04:59 AM
what OS do yo use? ...
For XP (not sure if they made it for other OSes) there's an awesome tool that can help you with this, Winternals ERD commander. It's mainly used to boot up a crashed system for doing restores and backups. It bypasses all passwords and security set on the OS and you can easily reset them.

Not going to say how to get that tool tho ...

gaburieru
09-12-2009, 02:55 AM

You can access your harddrive from a LiveCD. That is a operativesystem on CD. Ubuntu will work just fine. It is an installable GNU/Linux distro, but you can run it form the DESKTOP-cd (not alternate or mini). Copy your important files to a external source, and then restore your PC with the restore discs that I hope you have.

NorthOfTime
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Ok thank you all and thank you mods for reconsidering this thread.

Fortunatly i have a friend who is our post IT guy (The guy who runs the posts servers and stuff) he fixed my problem working his so called magic. lol. apparently theres a d isk for this sort of thing.. i noticed some of yall posted that up there as well. Thank you very much guys. Glad you all helped and more glad my comp works.