PDA

View Full Version : Bringing parents to conventions

sbsp13668
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm going to my first convention soon, and some unreliable friends are going with me. By "unreliable" I mean that they may not get our tickets, and they may not even show up. So I was wondering if there's anything I should be worried about if I'm forced to go with my mother...?

The convention that I'm going to is Fan Expo 2009 in Toronto, Canada. Fan Expo isn't only an anime convention, and it includes some actors/actresses that my mother is interested in seeing, so it won't be boring for her. http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo/

I feel like a bit of a geek, having to go to a convention with my mother; it's like the ultimate stereotype. XD

Dreydor
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Umm, i dont see the problem in hoping your friends are going to sholw up and if not going by yourself. Cons are a great place to hang, even without frriends you no, and to meat other people that all share an interest in the same things you do.

Now i personally would not go with my mother, but hey, nothings stopping u from, lol

Sonata
08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Depends on your mother, maybe...my mom's a wacky artist and often mistaken as my sister. I've invited her to tag along at a few cons and she had a blast at the concerts and art show, but didn't know enough about anime to appreciate the panels.

Capitán
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
SO what? Embrace the geekyness. Besides, you can seperate with your mom and go to your areas of interests. But of course have cellies with you so you may contact your mom by the end of the day.

lilminx
08-25-2009, 02:59 PM
its not so bad. i know my mom wanted to go to a convention with me and i thought it was a great idea . shes your mom so she understands you. besides youre not a geek ^^

RaShayRitto
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
besides youre not a geek ^^

i'm pretty sure....we're ALL geeks o.o;

lilminx
08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
i'm pretty sure....we're ALL geeks o.o;
no, we're special people :closedeye

Bluemoon22
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure what the convention is like where you're going, but you really need to have someone with you at a convention normally for safety reasons. If you can find another group to go with do that, or go with your mother. Since it sounds like your mom has an interest in the convention I think you should be okay. You don't have to spend the whole time with her, but if you are cosplaying one day I would have her with you.

sbsp13668
08-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies! ^.^

Well, turns out that my mother is going for lunch with my father instead. However, my friends are definitely going to be there for some time; just that they'll be showing up late (they'll probably miss the autograph sessions). I'd like to make some friends there! ^.^ The convention is going on today, as well, and I saw some nice cosplayers (most notably Rorschach from Watchmen, yay!). It'll be a good chance for me to make some friends who share similar interests! ^.~

Now, I'm wondering: what does the merchandise being sold at conventions cost? I've heard that it can be rather expensive, but it's good stuff from Japan.

Bluemoon22
08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I've only been to one convention, but there things were reasonable. Posters are normally the cheapest thing, but if you want a costume or something like that, expect to shell out more. Depending on what you want I'd say bring around $50-$100. Shopping at conventions is probably my favorite thing :) Hope you're having fun!

Missytetra
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
From first hand experience, going to conventions with parents is pretty awesome haha!

I went to Insert Coin '09, an arcade games convention here in UK as a cosplayer to take part in the Cosplay Clash, but my little brother also wanted to get into cosplay and was interested in Insert Coin because he loves video games (retro and new)... plus Tekken 6 was debuting there... I digress. Because my little brother is 12, and I'm just 18 and barely responsible enough to look after him for the entire weekend out of town, my dad decided to come along. He also loves video games and particularly old arcade games. So there was something there for everyone: Cosplay & Retro games for me, Shooters and Tournies for my bro, and Tech panels for my Dad. We all did our own thing, and also hung out together for lunch and stuff, and it was nice to have someone to gabble to about what we'd done that morning/afternoon/night. Plus it gave me someone else to travel with. I wasn't ashamed to be there with my dad because at conventions of any type you get age ranges from kids right up to old ladies (83yr old Rikku anyone?).

Another story is of Kilik's Mom. I don't know her real name but a girl called Kilik came to KitaCon '09. Her mom didn't want her going on her own so she came with for the entire weekend and trailed Kilik like a shadow. However! I ended up chatting to Kilik's mom more than Kilik herself (her badgename was "Kilik's Mom" so that's what I came to know her as). She had never been to a convention before, hell she didn't even understand what was going on half the time, but she loved talking to the people and thought it was so weird being surrounded by odd costumes and suchlike! She didn't embarass Kilik at all.

So all in all, I say BRING ON THE PARENTS. I'd be upset if I have children and they don't want me around at cons because I'LL STILL BE GOING TO THEM!!

NeverJuice
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies! ^.^

Well, turns out that my mother is going for lunch with my father instead. However, my friends are definitely going to be there for some time; just that they'll be showing up late (they'll probably miss the autograph sessions). I'd like to make some friends there! ^.^ The convention is going on today, as well, and I saw some nice cosplayers (most notably Rorschach from Watchmen, yay!). It'll be a good chance for me to make some friends who share similar interests! ^.~

Now, I'm wondering: what does the merchandise being sold at conventions cost? I've heard that it can be rather expensive, but it's good stuff from Japan.

Yes, some of the stuff is rather expensive. If you want some things, you're going to have to bring a fat wallet.

zeromega
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
don't buy anything you can get online like anime and manga.
but posters and food are a must. as for bringing the rents, if
the con your going to is like the ones i go to in Dallas, Texas
then it's all about how strict they are. it can get crazy! and
you never know when a party will just start up around you
(it happened to me in my own room, don't know how). so if
they are ok with stuff like that then bring'em.

silver_cyclone
11-13-2009, 04:17 AM
I remember when I pushed my parents to go with me in an anime convention they were like " Why are they wearing costumes?" and when they saw Mahjimbu they said " Oh that's Mahjimbu right? Give me the camera and have a picture with him." They even bought me some stuffs that I can't afford. :D

LillianRed
11-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Definitely depends on the parents. My own are kind of close-minded, but I have a friend whose parents are just as much into anime/gaming/cons as she is. Her dad may actually be even more into it.

They regularly go as a family to every con they can get to, and have a blast. Cons are a hundred times better when you have someone to share it with. You can always make new friends while you are there, but having someone you will see after the con is over that you can share your experiences with is way fun.

SigmaSD
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
no, we're special people :closedeye

That's what my mommy says, but I think we're crazy. :p

Oh and good luck with the con. Maybe it won't be as embarrassing as you might think. Its not like they know its your mom. And they definitely won't notice anything if you both dress up. I see no prob at all.

JapanAni
11-17-2009, 01:29 PM
well be sure to let you mom know it will be really exhausting for her because you'll be walking around a lot and seeing things. You both should wear comfortable walking shoes and bring water. It's easily to get dehydrated at cons. Do not beg your mother for money in the dealer's room. I see many underage minors bother their parents and piss them off to the point where they go home. So I hope it works out it won't be too embarrassing if your mom is cool with it and doesn't make a scene. I've seen many parents get upset with their kids if they are out late at certain hour.

raven2424
11-29-2009, 12:28 PM
well if she goes it doesnt mean that she needs to stick by your side? maybe you can have some time to go exploring on your own and she can go for a coffee or take a break something like that might be cool with her and you?

Señor Nobody
11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh sweet Raptor Jesus...my parents with me as I nerd out? I would rather eat nickels.

Lehvorak
11-29-2009, 11:51 PM
I had no choice but to bring the whole family with me during a convention, but usually we all take our separate paths which is a good thing. Just make sure your mom doesn't get in your way when it comes to conventions.

warla_woo
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
technically we are all geeks...we have a high interest in one thing, or obsessive for that matter! It also means crazy ^-^

Archaic Devices
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Nah there's nothing wrong with it. Couple friends and I are heading to Anime Iowa this summer and their parents are coming with. Besides, if any trouble happens, your parents will more than likely take the blame :)

KarlDV
01-28-2010, 05:16 AM
To each its own... I wouldn't take my mom with me to a Cosplay convention .. I would feel soo out of place.. I dunno maybe its just me

GaijinOtaku
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
I bring my dad to Sakura-Con every year for two reasons.

1. I'm under 18, so I need him to get me in
2. He pays for the hotel