PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay cheaters

Lavos
08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
In my time of going to conventions, I have seen people who will cheat in masquerade competitions. They will either commission the costume from some source and have it professionally made or they will be professionals themselves and make their own costumes. The problem with both of these situations is that masquerades ares supposed to be for novice costume makers who make their own costumes. What are your thoughts on this?

~*Red*~
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I totally agree Lavos - people who make professional cosplay costumes or get them made professionally should be in a whole other category for convention masquerades.

Bonedeath
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
What type of prizes are given for the best costumes? Just wondering if people cheat for the prize or for bragging rights.

Sonata
08-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Most conventions DO have novice, journeyman, etc. categories, so the beginners don't compete with the professionals. But generally they don't let you use a costume you commissioned, if they can catch you.

Lavos
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
What type of prizes are given for the best costumes? Just wondering if people cheat for the prize or for bragging rights.

I have seen a convention give away a cash prize. The norm is usually a trophy and bragging rights.

Celes Victoria
08-25-2009, 03:26 AM
In Singapore, as far as they are concerned, Cosplay is cosplay. As long as the cosplayer made the costume themselves, they'll pass, though of course, in a competition, it would be good to separate the novices from the professionals, because that's pretty much unfair.

But i have to agree that some people do cheat by getting their costumes tailor made or something. But i heard in Australia, they do check and ask how you did some parts and so on and so forth, just to make sure.

Unfortunately that's not exercised here. :(

╬Karami Mew~Meow
08-31-2009, 03:06 PM
The one I went to, they had 12 and under [which is not very fair, because some may have started early, and experts by then. For example my cousin and her friends, they're very good at it, they're almost like experts.] Novice, and experienced. But for the winners, they do have a few categories like Best craftsmanship, best novice, best 12 & under [what ever you call it], best experienced, best all around, best performance, etc.

Pretty much, cosplay cheaters, just ruin the whole point of cosplay contests. Personally, making your own costume on contests is what cosplay contests are to me. Which it really is, until people start cheating.

Capitán
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I never notice this. See, I have the notion of just only being entertained while I'm viewing events like that. But yeah.... some unknown novice cosplayers need to be put in the heat so they can be exposed. They all deserve the praise from their fellow attendees.

FibiCafe
09-18-2009, 08:23 PM
They will either commission the costume from some source and have it professionally made or they will be professionals themselves and make their own costumes.

Personally,
If they commission the product, then they ern't it just as much.
They paid for it w/ their own earnt money and I don't reeeeeally
see a problem w/ this.

Professionals themselves? That's silly, it's like saying, you can't
enter an art contest because you're a good artist and it's cheating

^^ This is just my view on that subject, I'm not saying it's right~

Missytetra
10-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree to some extent. One of my pet peeves in the cosplay world is when someone enters a costuming competition with a costume they have commissioned from someone else. That said, I have no problem with people winning awards for Omake/Skit/Talent contests in costumes they've commissioned because it's more about the performance than the costume. I think it's unfair if someone enters a costuming competition with a bought costume. Generally, though, most convention staff these days know how to pick out a costume that's been handmade by someone (usually the attention to fabrics and suchlike is more obvious), compared to a costume that has been bought from commissioners in the Orient that use materials just because they are the right colour, and usually use polyester synthetic twill to make them. I know I can tell the difference now that I've seen so many costumes ^^'

I think it would be good if the BIGGER convention masquerades were split into divisions, which I think a lot of the US ones are. They have Novice, Intermediate, Journeyman, and Expert as far as I know, and seperate awards for crafstmanship and skits so that people know you're getting an award for either costuming or performance. Here in the UK the cosplay scene is smaller so the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Judges Choice format works just fine. I'm honoured to say I was invited expenses paid to Thought Bubble '09 to host the masquerade and be Cosplay Co-ordinator for the day as a special guest and I have just smushed the entire thing together as we do not expect more than maybe 50-100 cosplayers in total, and only half of them will compete. The level of cosplay at that particular event is mainly amateur so I saw no need to split them up.

If a professional seamstress creates a costume and wears it themselves then I see no reason why they should be disqualified. I agree with FibiCafe. I make costumes and costume accessories for other people as well as myself and have won awards in the past, but I would be very sad if I was disqualified for being good at cosplaying! It would break my heart as I love the thrill of competing (I've only been competing for a year but I'm addicted). I don't particularly think that masquerades are just for 'novice' cosplayers- that would be unfair to the people who have been working on cosplay costumes for months and years! They might still be novice's but might have created a deviously good costume anyway. I also have no problem with people who buy ordinary clothes and then alter them into the costumes. They've still worked on their costume themselves ^^

To me "cheating" in a cosplay competition is either: Entering with a costume you didn't make, Fixing the scores somehow, claiming you are someone else, Lying in the competition interview.

10-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Most conventions DO have novice, journeyman, etc. categories, so the beginners don't compete with the professionals. But generally they don't let you use a costume you commissioned, if they can catch you.

At one of the cons I go to called, Anime Weekend Atlanta, they have the novice, journeyman, youth, and like 2 others for those who made their own costumes. Then there is the "exhibition" cosplay, where those were commissioned by someone else but cant win any prizes or anything ^^

JapanAni
11-17-2009, 01:35 PM
yes having bought professionally made costumes is a no no for masquerades, BUT if you know someone in a group making costumes for others that is okay. It depends on the masquerade/convention event.

I've been to many of these usually people judge you to see if you've made the costume know how it's crafted well. Nowadays they are pretty strict with people proving that they made the costumes for the bigger conventions and events.

Most conventions don't give out cash prizes they usually give you a prize bag/trophy for your efforts.

Primarch Lorgar
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Personally,
If they commission the product, then they ern't it just as much.
They paid for it w/ their own earnt money and I don't reeeeeally
see a problem w/ this.

Professionals themselves? That's silly, it's like saying, you can't
enter an art contest because you're a good artist and it's cheating

^^ This is just my view on that subject, I'm not saying it's right~

I too agree with this statement. It's also hard to gauge what a professionaly made costume is. But in australia here at supernova's cosplay comp they have a couple of categories which i think is fair.

raven2424
11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
well it would be hard to set them apart cause i mean some people can apply for the novice categorize if its there first time there but with a bought pro costume so there would need to be a lot of rules to set the different categorizes apart i think.

Yew Neek™
11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
it ain't cheating if you don't get caught.

Lehvorak
11-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah that is no fair if you get people that are professionals in cosplay costumes entering in a novice contest. So yes, I agree its cheating!

zeromega
11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
i don't think you should be able to buy one and compete in the cosplay
but you are doing a skit then i don't see the problem

bee.
12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
even if it is cosplay it's cheating nonetheless and i don't think it's necessarily worth the effort of cheating.. if you know what i mean.

ai_frostbite
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
it really depends, if you are competing then yeah, its kinda cheating, but if you just want to go there and dress up then its fine, i mean thats what i do, its not my creation, so who am i to compete? =3333

The Rebel
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Hmm, interesting topic. Honestly, I've only been to two conventions and have dressed both time. But both were just clothes put together to form the look of a character. I haven't actually created my own costume yet. But then, I haven't actually participated in the contests. I figure, when I finally get around to custom making a cosplay outfit, then mayb I'll do a contest.
As for the commissioned outfits in a cosplay costume contest, yeah that's kinda cheating. If it's a skit contest, then that's fine. As for professionals,,,, well. What if your a profession dress maker, but have never done a cosplay outfit? Is that considered cheating? I think it really comes down to the circumstances. I agree catagorizing of contest is a very good idea.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
12-04-2009, 09:12 PM
To me "cheating" in a cosplay competition is either: Entering with a costume you didn't make, Fixing the scores somehow, claiming you are someone else, Lying in the competition interview.

My thoughts exactly. If you didn't put the costume together yourself, you shouldn't claim it as your own.That is cheating. Making it from scratch, putting together clothes, altering the clothes yourself, or having someone alter it for you (not commissioned) don't count as cheating.