PDA

View Full Version : Cat or Dog Person or neither?

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm a cat person-what about you?

Eris
08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Cat person. Cats have individuality, while dogs are quite literally drooling idiots.

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Cats are the free-thinkers while dogs are the loyalists.
Cats are smarter.

Bluemoon22
08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I like both cats and dogs, but I prefer cats. They're cleaner, don't get as smelly, and easier to take care of.

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I like both cats and dogs, but I prefer cats. They're cleaner, don't get as smelly, and easier to take care of.

Can you litter-train a dog?

Shinn Kamiyra
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Cat person. Cats have individuality, while dogs are quite literally drooling idiots.

Hey, there's no need to be putting down our canine pals like that :(. Dogs embody fearsome loyalty and devotion towards their owners when they're raised right. "Man's best friend" and all, ya know?

As I'm sure everyone here's already guessed, I am and always have been a dog person.

miniPhil
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm allergic to both so I'm a 'neither' guy.

Dogmat
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
My family's always had dogs. But I really would like to have a cat when I live on my own soon. Too bad I might still be allergic to them. :(

Serpentarius
08-11-2009, 05:04 PM

lol co-sign. except i still love dogs.

Heinekenrana
08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
My family's always had dogs. But I really would like to have a cat when I live on my own soon. Too bad I might still be allergic to them. :(

If you're unsure, you can always try and find a breed that's hypoallergenic - Devon and Cornish Rexes, Sphynxes and Siberians are all in that category. Sadly I'm unsure where to find those, as they aren't pound or shelter cats, but if you can find one, it might not aggravate your allergies *provided you are still allergic*. :)

Seņor Nobody
08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm a rabbit person. Dogs scare me and cats cling desperately to me.

Rabbits maintain a cool yet affectionate relationship. Just the way I like it.

╬Karami Mew~Meow
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Nekonekoneko~ Cat perzhon =3 Felines all de way. <333
Yesh, they're independent, clean, etc. though they don't have much emotion they can say more human words than dogs x3 Idk, but I lub cats<33333 Even though I'm actually allergic to them o.o [or any furry animals <3333 ;_;] I lub cats <33333333

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
It's a shame-my neighbors have cats, and I can't have one where I live.
I often play with my next door neighbor's cat-she enjoys my company.

Serpentarius
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
lol u talk like those blue people from ffx

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I like a few small dogs, but I still prefer cats.

Acnologia
08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Cat person, because apparently you can train them to use a toilet when they're kittens.

Apparently.

wolfgirl90
08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Cats are the free-thinkers while dogs are the loyalists.
Cats are smarter.

Depends on what you mean by "free-thinker". Cats are actually quite social animals and communicate with each other more often than people think. The only thing that really separates them from dogs is the fact that cats have no pack mentality.

It also depends on what you mean by "smarter". Trying to gauge the intelligence of dogs and cats is a rather futile effort, since both animals have behaviors that make them seem less "intelligent" than the other through the eyes of a human (and coming from you, you trying to gauge intelligence from anything is simply hilarious).

For me, I am more of a dog person, although I have had both dogs and cats. I also like cats, but like dogs more. Dogs make better exercise buddies.:p

Can you litter-train a dog?

You can but the reason why cats use a litter box is because its in their nature to bury their waste since cats do not like being in the same place as their waste (although they will leave waste anywhere if they are pressed).

Training a dog to use the litterbox can be done; its no different than training them to use a newspaper or go outside. However, its not very practical to do so for some dogs.

Eris
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Training a dog to use the litterbox can be done; its no different than training them to use a newspaper or go outside. However, its not very practical to do so for some dogs.

You can train a cat to not only use the toilet, but to flush as well. I'd seriously like to see a dog do that.

Shinn Kamiyra
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
You can train a cat to not only use the toilet, but to flush as well. I'd seriously like to see a dog do that.

Well, I have to admit that I've never seen a dog that's able to do that; but, have you ever seen a cat perform an act of entertainment like a dog that can play basketball?

Orcius
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Cats are sneaky underhanded crooks while dogs are loyal companions. Now I'm all for the sneaky underhanded crook thing but Cerberus and Fenrer aren't cats and I've always liked them so i prefer dogs. To even it all out though, i voted cats.

For those that don't know Cerberus is the three headed guard dog of the underworld at the end of the river Styx in Greek mythology. Fenrer (and i'm sorry if it isn't spelled right) is, i think Loki's pet which was set loose by Loki to try and eat the sun in Norse mythology. My Norse mythology is rusty, forgive me if I'm wrong.

Eris
08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I have to admit that I've never seen a dog that's able to do that; but, have you ever seen a cat that can play basketball like a dog?

Cats don't have the physical stature to do that. A basketball is as large, or larger than most cats.

Cats are sneaky underhanded crooks while dogs are loyal companions. Now I'm all for the sneaky underhanded crook thing but Cerberus and Fenrer aren't cats and I've always liked them so i prefer dogs. To even it all out though, i voted cats.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a cat guard hades. Cats make terrible guards, since protective instinct comes with pack mentality.

Beast
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm a cat person. Dogs are too dumb and loud for my liking. Cats are quiet, more reserved and better company. For me anyways.

Orcius
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a cat guard hades. Cats make terrible guards, since protective instinct comes with pack mentality.
Cerberus does not guard Hades, he stops soul from escaping but since Hades always wants his army to be larger Cerberus happily steps aside for those entering. The cats however are regarded highly in Egypt and Egyptian mythology as protectors. Again sorry if the protector thing is wrong I've really only heavily studied Greek mythology and the only thing i know for certain is that they were regarded highly. Just making those points.

Eris
08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Cerberus does not guard Hades, he stops soul from escaping but since Hades always wants his army to be larger Cerberus happily steps aside for those entering. The cats however are regarded highly in Egypt and Egyptian mythology as protectors. Again sorry if the protector thing is wrong I've really only heavily studied Greek mythology and the only thing i know for certain is that they were regarded highly. Just making those points.

But he is still protecting Hades (the place, not the god). Not from souls entering, but from those escaping.

Hideki Motosuwa.
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Same here, except that I do prefer dogs, maybe because my family had more dogs than cats. I wish I had a dog or even a cat, but right now, I'm taking care of my fish. And btw, cats are more nutritious than dogs lol. I know, random, but true xD

wolfgirl90
08-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Fenrer (and i'm sorry if it isn't spelled right) is, i think Loki's pet which was set loose by Loki to try and eat the sun in Norse mythology. My Norse mythology is rusty, forgive me if I'm wrong.

You are off a bit. Fenrir is not Loki's pet, but his oldest son. When the other gods found out that he would be responsible for the destruction of the world, the gods tried to chain him down. Since Fenrir is a giant wolf, that didn't work out too well. The gods then used a special "chain" made by dwarven magic, which worked like a charm (not counting the fact that Tyr, god of war, had his hand bit of by Fenrir).

On the day of Ragnarok, Fenrir would break his chain and kill Odin, but would then be killed by Odin's son, Vidar.

Orcius
08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow thanks, that really cleared up some stuff. Did you know that already or did you just look it up because that's a good piece of norse mythology there.

Oh and Hades isn't a place he's a god and nothing more. Cerberus guards the underworld. Small note here Hades is the god of the underworld not death, the greek god of death was Thanatos which is Orcus in roman and the idea behind my screen name.

Bonedeath
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Cats are awesome so I voted for them. All the cats in my neighborhood kill the moles, voles and other rodents. The dogs don't do anything but bark all the time.

Eris
08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh and Hades isn't a place he's a god and nothing more. Cerberus guards the underworld. Small note here Hades is the god of the underworld not death, the greek god of death was Thanatos which is Orcus in roman and the idea behind my screen name.

Most greek gods are personifications of a concept. Hades is both the underworld, and the god of the underworld. Eris is the same. Both the goddess of strife, and the concept of strife. Ares literally means "war" -- and as such, is both the concept of war, and the god of war, same goes for countless other deities: Nike, Eros, Themis, etc.

Wikipedia says:

Hades (from Greek ᾍδης, Hadēs, originally Ἅιδης, Haidēs or Άΐδης, Aidēs, probably from Proto-Indo-European *n̥-wid- 'unseen'[1]) refers both to the ancient Greek underworld, the abode of Hades, and to the god of the underworld. Hades in Homer referred just to the god; the genitive ᾍδου, Haidou, was an elision to denote locality: "[the house/dominion] of Hades". Eventually, the nominative, too, came to designate the abode of the dead.

Lord Fluff
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm a dog person. Some are cute a cuddly and warm. Other just look cool.

Cats always seem stuck and snotty to me. Although I may not like them because my cousin's cat scratched my face when I was 3. Go dogs.

wolfgirl90
08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow thanks, that really cleared up some stuff. Did you know that already or did you just look it up because that's a good piece of norse mythology there.

I already knew it. I am a mythology buff. I love learning about it and Norse mythology is one of my top favorites (right next to Greek).:p

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I'm not into furries.

You're just angry that cat's are lazy, useless good for nothings while dogs do awesome things like become terrorists freedom fighters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog).

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I'm not into furries.

You're just angry that cat's are lazy, useless good for nothings while dogs do awesome things like become terrorists freedom fighters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog).

Cats can't be heroes?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Cats can't be heroes?

Nope. Not intentionally anyway.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Nope. Not intentionally anyway.

That's a bigotted statement.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Oh Mavykins, you so crazy!

Tai90
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I love cats<3 :D

Aulos
08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm a dog person, definitely.

I have never really found cats to be all of that great, and they aren't any where near as cute as my dogs.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh Mavykins, you so crazy!

If anything the DOGS should be the oppressors. That's why I didn't like Cats and Dogs the movie.

homie
08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm a dog person , i been with them all my life and they always are great company , i let my dogs chase rabbits , cats around my neighborhood there always fun to watch them chase them around :D

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
If anything the DOGS should be the oppressors. That's why I didn't like Cats and Dogs the movie.

I was talking about IRL though.

Orcius
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Most greek gods are personifications of a concept. Hades is both the underworld, and the god of the underworld. Eris is the same. Both the goddess of strife, and the concept of strife. Ares literally means "war" -- and as such, is both the concept of war, and the god of war, same goes for countless other deities: Nike, Eros, Themis, etc.

Wikipedia says:

Hades (from Greek ᾍδης, Hadēs, originally Ἅιδης, Haidēs or Άΐδης, Aidēs, probably from Proto-Indo-European *n̥-wid- 'unseen'[1]) refers both to the ancient Greek underworld, the abode of Hades, and to the god of the underworld. Hades in Homer referred just to the god; the genitive ᾍδου, Haidou, was an elision to denote locality: "[the house/dominion] of Hades". Eventually, the nominative, too, came to designate the abode of the dead.
I've been known to copy and paste stuff from wikipedia myself but it is a self proclaimed lier. The edit button is right there next to the information and anyone with an account can mess with the words. I believe that the god Hades may have been the same thing as the underworld Hades but since Homer is the most widely used 'book' that would explain why i've never heard of Hades as the underworld.

I already knew it. I am a mythology buff. I love learning about it and Norse mythology is one of my top favorites (right next to Greek).:p
I learned most of my greek mythology from the book Mythology timeless tales of gods and heros by Edith Hamilton.

lilminx
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
im a cat person ^^
im actually afraid of small dogs, dont ask >.<

Anime Forum
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Tough choice, I like both cats and dogs..

I'd say Dogs, because they are more loyal than cats. My cat was almost like a dog though, he followed me to walmart and back so I guess in my terms its close.

.Lovebeat
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I love cats, they don't love me. ;_;
Dogs likes me though. I like dogs too. :"D
I voted for neither. Meh.

Epic thread btw.

Aki no iko
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm a dog person.
But I also like fat cats.
That's the only cat I'll settle for.
It's unhealthy yes, but they have so much personality.

~*Red*~
08-13-2009, 01:47 AM
I love dogs, and they love me, so it's a natural sort of thing.

wolfgirl90
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Its spelled "bigoted" dude. Not only are you not using the word correctly, you apparently can't spell it right either.

Cats have not been known to appear in the papers and the news as heroes. Cats, while social animals, do not have a pack mentality like dogs. While they often live together, socialize and groom each other, that's about all they do for each other. Finding food and providing protection is something that they do on their own. Dogs, however, in addition to socializing, will help each other in finding food and protect one another.

Since cats leave protection up to the individuals, most cats will usually be the first ones out the house in case of a fire, storm or other problem. Of course, there have been some cats that have saved their owners by alerting them to danger.

Curious, if dogs are "loyalists" and cats are "free-thinkers", why would it be better for the dogs to be the oppressors?;)

In "Cats and Dogs", the relationship made perfect sense. Dogs were loyal to the humans and were their protectors and cats were independent and wanted to get rid of them.

By the way, you can thank Christians for the whole "cats are evil" thing. Cats were believed to be the familiars of Witches and workers of Satan. For example, in Macbeth, the first witch's familiar, Greymalkin, is a cat. So, cats are usually, but not always, the bad guys because of the early stigma.

Although, despite the fact I am also a Witch, I have a dog, not a cat (oh, the stereotypes).:p

.Tatty.
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Dogs Gamble as illustrated here
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/d/dogs_poker_game-9548.jpg

where as cats have force shields as illustrated here
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j57/shadow_pr0phet/cat26.jpg

never had a dog in my life but have ahd cats so

CATS GMV

Eris
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I've been known to copy and paste stuff from wikipedia myself but it is a self proclaimed lier. The edit button is right there next to the information and anyone with an account can mess with the words. I believe that the god Hades may have been the same thing as the underworld Hades but since Homer is the most widely used 'book' that would explain why i've never heard of Hades as the underworld.

The edit button will only take you so far. Malicious edits of wikipedia typically last a matter of hours, a day at most. A couple of days if it's in a really obscure area. Furthermore, you can't edit away the history panel. If recent alterations were made, the previous versions are viewable there.

Alphabet
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Kitty person<3 I always have the urge to hold and pet and care for a stray(There's a lot in my neighborhood) but sadly I can't, because my parents can't support another living thing ._.
Besides, cats are lazy enough for my liking. Dogs are too demanding.

ooshy ooshy ooshy
I start squealing if I see a tabby or calico kitten, or any kitten for that matter

nekosenshi
08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Although I have nothing against dogs (I think some of them are very kawaii) I am a cat person, as could be guessed by my name.

*Tsuki*
08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Both.
But I love dogs because I have lived with them my entire life. <_<
Cats are awesome, but my dad`s allergic. So . . . yea.

Ran-Sang
08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Isn't this a repeat of some other topic?

Ah, well, as I have stated before, I dislike dogs. I'm a cat person and forever will I be one.

Eris
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM

With a forum as old as this one, most threads have inevitably been created before.

Ran-Sang
08-14-2009, 11:42 PM
With a forum as old as this one, most threads have inevitably been created before.

I mean recently though... like in the past month or so. I haven't been here that long, but I remember it. Or maybe I'm seeing things. Who knows?

*Tsuki*
08-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Ah, well, as I have stated before, I dislike dogs. I'm a cat person and forever will I be one.

I did this thread before. =3
But it was closed. :`(

Anyway . . . after reading some of the other posts, I wanted to point out: my dog uses a littebox while my other dog gives tissues and band-aids. When my mom says, "achoo" or "ouch".
They`re always considered stupid. <_<
It saddens me.

Oh, and I don`t think the Cats and Dogs movie can be considered a great source. They are talking dogs and cats.
But . . . talking about movies, there`s a lot of great dog movies! More than cat movies!
And now, someone can say, "Because the dogs are easily trained and used while cats have a mind of their own and can realize . . ." Or something like that. Still, though.

Dogs have their weak points, but the same weak points can also have strong points. *doesn`t feel like pointing them out*
And, cats have bad points, as well.
*doesn`t feel like pointing them out*

And now, for my favorite fact. Every time a human is born, 15 dogs and 45 cats are at the same time. hmm . . .
O_O

Ran-Sang
08-15-2009, 12:06 AM
I did this thread before. =3
But it was closed. :`(

Anyway . . . after reading some of the other posts, I wanted to point out: my dog uses a littebox while my other dog gives tissues and band-aids. When my mom says, "achoo" or "ouch".
They`re always considered stupid. <_<
It saddens me.

Oh, and I don`t think the Cats and Dogs movie can be considered a great source. They are talking dogs and cats.
But . . . talking about movies, there`s a lot of great dog movies! More than cat movies!
And now, someone can say, "Because the dogs are easily trained and used while cats have a mind of their own and can realize . . ." Or something like that. Still, though.

Dogs have their weak points, but the same weak points can also have strong points. *doesn`t feel like pointing them out*
And, cats have bad points, as well.
*doesn`t feel like pointing them out*

And now, for my favorite fact. Every time a human is born, 15 dogs and 45 cats are at the same time. hmm . . .
O_O

Aha! I knew it! *Points*

Anyways, cats can be trained... There is this Russian guy that somehow did it and he tours the world with his performances and huge army of cats. Not kidding either.

By the way...that's a lot of dogs and cats.