PDA

View Full Version : Final Q's and Comments on GITS:SAC

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I noticed that of the few BLACKS who appeared on the show, the first one was a criminal (he had dreadlocks and dark glasses and he was the one Motoko captured and held at gun point in an early episode of GITS:SAC 1st Gig), the second one was a big dimwitted towering lummox who worked in a bar, and the last one was another criminal who worked for a cyber-pimp. That is racist-does anyone else feel that way or am I reading too much into it?

Why is it called GHOST IN THE SHELL? A "ghost" from what I understand is a person's essence or soul, and they capture it and upload it into a person's prostethetic body. How do you upload and capture a person's soul into a prosthetic body? A soul is the spiritual part of a person and this sounds like witchcraft at work.

Shinn Kamiyra
08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I noticed that of the few BLACKS who appeared on the show, the first one was a criminal (he had dreadlocks and dark glasses and he was the one Motoko captured and held at gun point in an early episode of GITS:SAC 1st Gig), the second one was a big dimwitted towering lummox who worked in a bar, and the last one was another criminal who worked for a cyber-pimp. That is racist-does anyone else feel that way or am I reading too much into it?

Why is it called GHOST IN THE SHELL? A "ghost" from what I understand is a person's essence or soul, and they capture it and upload it into a person's prostethetic body. How do you upload and capture a person's soul into a prosthetic body? A soul is the spiritual part of a person and this sounds like witchcraft at work.

While I am not of the power to force my opinion on the matter, I do believe it would be for the best if we kept the tense subject of racism out of this section and in Miscellaneous where I would think it be better suited. This is a clean section, and I'd appreciate it if we could keep it that way.

With regards to your second question, I do believe it speaks for itself. A 'ghost', as they so eloquently put it in the anime, resides within the proverbial shell of a prosthetic body. This reference, as far as I know, was spoken only in regards to those who actually had a prosthetic body and never by comparison to a human of flesh and blood.

Have a good day.

Mavericker
08-11-2009, 04:00 PM
While I am not of the power to force my opinion on the matter, I do believe it would be for the best if we kept the tense subject of racism out of this section and in Miscellaneous where I would think it be better suited. This is a clean section, and I'd appreciate it if we could keep it that way.

With regards to your second question, I do believe it speaks for itself. A 'ghost', as they so eloquently put it in the anime, resides within the proverbial shell of a prosthetic body. This reference, as far as I know, was spoken only in regards to those who actually had a prosthetic body and never by comparison to a human of flesh and blood.

Have a good day.

I disagree-a lot of anime has a history of being racist.

No one else noticed this stuff?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Ghost is analogous to, but not exactly, a soul. Major has one because she is human even though her body isn't. The blond female androids that do a lot of the grunt work on the communications side at Section 9 do not have ghosts because they are fairly simple AI. The Fuchikoma/Tachikoma are a complex case, but they apparently don't in the manga. The only non-human that has a ghost is The Puppetmaster. It's probably best thought of as the spark that separates humans from animals, although in this setting it is considerably more complicated then that.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Ghost is analogous to, but not exactly, a soul. Major has one because she is human even though her body isn't. The blond female androids that do a lot of the grunt work on the communications side at Section 9 do not have ghosts because they are fairly simple AI. The Fuchikoma/Tachikoma are a complex case, but they apparently don't in the manga. The only non-human that has a ghost is The Puppetmaster. It's probably best thought of as the spark that separates humans from animals, although in this setting it is considerably more complicated then that.

Okay, but what about the way blacks are portrayed in the show? You don't think it's patronizing or offensive?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Okay, but what about the way blacks are portrayed in the show? You don't think it's patronizing or offensive?
No, not really.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
No, not really.

Why? It's like saying blacks are inferior and all they are good for are being criminals.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Why? It's like saying blacks are inferior and all they are good for are being criminals.

No it isn't. It's three characters, not an entire race. Point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
No it isn't. It's three characters, not an entire race. Point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Then why are the only THREE BLACK CHARACTERS on the show ONLY portrayed NEGATIVELY?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Then why are the only THREE BLACK CHARACTERS on the show ONLY portrayed NEGATIVELY?

You're grasping for straws. Please point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Mavericker
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
You're grasping for straws. Please point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Do you get what I'm getting at here? Those are NEGATIVE black steretypes.

Serpentarius
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
there are many more intelligent ways to argue racism. i'm black and i don't look too much into it. in every culture, there will be caricatures of other races so of course anime would contain some.

its pretty petty and trivial to discuss racism with such scant evidence. much like the "i'm not jewish" rant in the ethnicity thread. be prepared to discuss heavier issues such as race with lots of evidence, well thought out argument and know ur audience

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Do you get what I'm getting at here? Those are NEGATIVE black steretypes.

I do see what you're getting at, and have asked you to provide more evidence. I guess you can't.

Mavericker
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I do see what you're getting at, and have asked you to provide more evidence. I guess you can't.

Have they ever had any blacks on the show who WEREN'T criminals?

The Major is an immoral slut- a woman who uses sexuality as a tactical device.
I'm glad I stopped watching it.