PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Hardware] Insanely Slow Internet

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
This is driving me insane and I can't seem to figure out how to fix this.

I've already cleared my cache, restarted multiple times, reset my modem, and run Spybot twice. My internet is so damn slow, I can't even explain it. I used to be able to watch YouTube videos instantly and my downloads would take 2 minutes. Now, I can barely even get on to any websites. I'm on a laptop, but like I said, this just started happening about a week ago. I can't even download Ad-Aware, because whenever I do try to download anything, it just stops in the middle of the download. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Is there anything I can do to speed up my internet?

Daken.
08-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Well you could:

upgrade your modem
resize your cache (bump it up)
Block flash or java
Switch to RSS feed
Block google Analytics

I hope that helps.

nenuma
08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Happened to mine.

I upgraded my modem just like Novak said.

08-10-2009, 10:12 PM
The problem is my mother is running just fine. Which leads me to believe that I might be infected by something.

Ashminigun
08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
In that case, get an external NIC. Before that, are you using wired connection or wireless?

08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm on wireless. So far... I was able to download Ad-Aware, and I'm running fine now. However, I'm still skeptical. Hopefully this will work.

If it does, sorry for the thread. But, I'm not convinced until it's been a week.

Ashminigun
08-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Try plugging in wired network. Either your built-in wireless card or the wireless connection is having a problem.

lilminx
08-11-2009, 01:40 AM
i have wireless too, when mine gets slow,(rarely) i unplug the modem and the router and then plug it back in.
but i hope you wont have any more problems ^^

oh yea and you can try creating a password so no one else can use your internet

kenny_killer
08-11-2009, 02:09 AM
I've had a problem like this about 2-3 days ago for about a week. I wasnt sure if it was because of me messing with my network card's driver to install a wep key program hacker, or my modem, or what.

Is your computer using wireless? If so try useing a LAN line just to verify if its a wireless problem.

My advice would be, if anything, to do a System Restore. Back to a date when it was once working fine. maybe even a little farther back if possible. I did this and it worked for me.
System Restore can be found under Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

kurai_cho2
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
sometimes I get insane if my internet connection is low but I use wired network so the percentage of low connection is 15%

DarkMoonPrince
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
All I did was these,

Disk Clean-up
Disk Defragmentor
System Restore,

after a long time, my laptop went back to normal speed when i first got it. If that doesn't work, depending on your hard drive, try compressing many files.

08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about defragmenting my hard drive for a while now. I'm just worried I've got a virus or a trojan or something terrible. Ad-Aware and Spybot should protect me against those hopefully.

I do have a password and all, but it's just my individual computer that's not running as well. Like I said, my mother's computer runs just fine.

miniPhil
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Test your speed with http://www.speedtest.net/. If its what you're paying for then its a virus, if its not then its your modem or provider.
If it is a virus then download, install and run Spybot (http://searchdestroydownload.com/). I removed of all my viruses with that, its a really good program.

Khanxay
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Maybe your mother is hogging bandwidth with some P2P software?

08-12-2009, 12:46 AM
As I said previously, I already have Spybot.

I tried running the speed test, and all it's saying is PING: 18ms. Is that my answer? I don't even know what my internet is. All I know is that it's Comcast and is very fast o_O;.

OminousCloud
08-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Speedtest should give you a readout like this
http://www.speedtest.net/result/538099424.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

miniPhil
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
As I said previously, I already have Spybot.

I tried running the speed test, and all it's saying is PING: 18ms. Is that my answer? I don't even know what my internet is. All I know is that it's Comcast and is very fast o_O;.

Oops, sorry my failure to read properly. Well if you've run Spybot then its probably your provider. Ring tech support and see if they can help.

Capernicus
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
First off: why did you change your name dammit!

Second: it seems to me that you should try clearing things up with your computer. Disk Cleanup, Defragment, empty Recycle Bin. If none of that works, then next thing to try is a a System Restore. If none of that works, then I think it's time to do a complete wipe and reinstall your OS with the disk that came with your laptop. Hope that helps!

Eris
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Second: it seems to me that you should try clearing things up with your computer. Disk Cleanup, Defragment, empty Recycle Bin. If none of that works,

Uh, nothing of that should affect internet speed. Everything but emptying the recycle bin will affect general computer speed, but not connection speed. It's is to computer maintenance what cargo cult programming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming) is to programming.

The culprit is likely one of the following:

Virus / Adware / Spamware / (other malware)
Bad reception -- Try surfing right next to the access point, see if that makes a difference.
Hardware failure

CapnJack
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
If youve had your modem for quite a while, I just came into learning that modems should be replaced/upgraded after some time. Sorta like a tune up.

Coincidentally, Im having godly slow connection, server loss, and time outs lately at times, too. I dont want to think its Firefox, but Explorer seems more responsive then it. Using FireFox? Any recent add-ons?

Eris
08-16-2009, 01:58 AM
If youve had your modem for quite a while, I just came into learning that modems should be replaced/upgraded after some time. Sorta like a tune up.

Why is this? Modems shouldn't have persistent storage, and electronics shouldn't start degrading until they have been used 30-40 years.

08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay, I have fixed my problem completely!

I have the weirdest router ever. There are times when it will literally reset itself (we noticed after turning off the Wii completely, that didn't happen as much), which would result in me having to manually reinstall it. I found out after messing around with it and resetting it, my internet suddenly got faster. Don't ask me to get technical, because I have no idea how that worked.

This thread can be closed now.

FlashD
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Glad you solved your problem. ^_^
Routers shouldn't factory reset by themselves though, it's probably a bug with it's software. Try to get a firmware update to fix it. ^_^

*closed*