PDA

View Full Version : Deviantart ??

jumomo
01-03-2004, 11:12 AM
i often heard about deviantart ... so i thought i could drop by ... and i liked the place and submitted some of my wallpapers ... but these people are stupid ... they deleted about 70 wallpapers .... i dont know why ... i think they got mad because i didnt draw the characters i used in the wallpapers ... but who draws the anime characters and then make a wallpaper out of it ? ah im really clueless about them ...

wizz-o-matic
01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
I also joind it recently but I haven't submited anything yet (waiting for faster conection :D ).

omicron_15
01-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Devient art is probably my fav place to post on, and I like having my own little page with all my stuff, havent had anything deleted I would just be carefull about using other deviant art artists art without permision.

My deviant art home page (http://omicron-15.deviantart.com)

MistressPookyChan
01-03-2004, 02:04 PM
That is EXACTLY why i do not go to deviant art anymore. Even though I sited the anime, the artist, the production company (if it was known) and the URL I got the image from (also if it was known) my wallpapers STILL got deleted. However, someone that didn't say anything about the artist and just said something like "this is my wallpaper, plz comment!!1!" was allowed to keep it up there. Far too frusterating. I understand that DA wants to protect copyrights, but I don't see what the issue is if you state the artist.

diablo111
01-03-2004, 02:11 PM
I've also had the same problem there...I haven't submitted anything for awhile...I followed the same formula everytime, listing every copyright, studio, etc. I could find. Some were deleted, some weren't...there was no rhyme or reason to it, so I gave up.

ownerizer
01-03-2004, 02:52 PM
The only reason they got deleted I think is because of copyright issues. DeviantArt seems to be dead set in their idea of "If you didn't make it, then it's not really yours." Which includes the whole wallpaper in it's entirity and everything in it.

jumomo
01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
i think i wont post there anymore ... but why my stuff ? there are so many people doing the same thing ... and i never claimed i draw it ... stupid :angry:

diablo111
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
As I said, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it... :blink:

01-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Heh, being one of the people you are referring to about not citing resources, I don't know what to tell you. I think the trick is to hide in the shadows. Don't become to popular, and no one will care about your work.

Miko
01-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I got banned from DeviantArt about a year ago, but last summer I started a new account to submit my photography and renders. I occasionally drop by a wallpaper or two, but in every post of those, I post legal information stating that I don't own the character, the series its from, and that I didn't draw it... I haven't run into any problems like that.

They're alot less stupid and hypocritical than they used to be though.... back then, they were going through a policy change cause certain producers were getting angry, so they were really disorganized, and only singled out popular artists.

RequiMem
01-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I've never had a problem with deviantART, in fact if it weren't for that site I probably wouldn't be doing as many wallpapers as I am doing now.

There's a lot of grey area when talking about violations. There's what we do, using a character as a source and creating something from it, and ripping off someone else's work. I have reported violations, but they were obviously just taken and edited slightly or even just ripped off the site directly.

I always use official art unless I have permission from the fanartist. What we do is more on terms with promotion, but using fanarts could be interpreted differently. Unless I do a request, I also only do wallpapers for my favorite series. In essence I am mostly just promoting the series. I am going to put a disclaimer on all my future work to avoid some of the silliness that I've heard about, but otherwise deviantART can be a very useful resource.

For future reference, everyone here can use any of my work on any of their sites regardless if they give me credit or not. I would prefer that you did refer to my site, but I've always gotten pleasure from making the work rather than the recognition for the work.

MistressPookyChan
01-04-2004, 12:26 AM
i was a singled out artist. i eventually did a long-winded journal post on my DA page about what they were doing... and they stopped! very random.

Daemon
01-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Anime died on deviantART because of they deletion, that is why I created a site for my gf to post her wallpapers (Daeya.org (http://www.daeya.org/))....

Anyways, I did some research on copyrights and (see my 15 pages paper soon posted), yes, even using it an official image can constitute a violation....I'll post more later.....since it's 4:03 AM now......zzzzzzz........

Iapetus
01-05-2004, 04:31 AM
I've never had a problem using Deviantart. Of course, I only have about three walls up there currently, and I'm not popular at all... but maybe that is a plus then? *sweatdrop* I post my walls on DA for the benefit of myself and my friends 99% of the time. If someone else likes them and wants to comment, more power to them.

Life isn't fair, unfortunatly. Something very similar to this is going on at fanfiction.net right now - people are having their work deleted for incredibly stupid reasons that aren't true, while the true perpertrators still have their stories up. You gotta love bureaucracy.... *sarcasm*

-Iapetus

jumomo
01-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Now they even deleted my cell phone backgrounds ... with the reason they are too big for cell phones .... but they wasnt ... maybe they have only crap cellphones ... wannabe hightech stuff ... with a 50x50 camera inside &#33; :<_<:

diablo111
01-10-2004, 12:20 PM
They just deleted every anime wallpaper I&#39;ve ever submitted there...funny...maybe they read this thread...

If so and they read this post, please, kiss my a&#036;&#036; :P

Morrigana
01-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, I actually just came here because of some really messed up news on deviantart. They are totally deleting the Anime Wallpapers section, because it&#39;s against their policy to use commercial images. Which really sucks, because it seems like they&#39;ve mostly been targeting anime lately.

I think the site has a few good artists worth looking at. I use it mostly to find stock photos to use as photo reference for my artwork.

RequiMem
01-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Ok, so um, I take everything I ever said nice about deviantART back. I think I&#39;ll open a wallpaper directory in a week or so to help people out.

jumomo
01-10-2004, 11:18 PM
hahaha i hope its not my fault ... i had ... how to say ... a nice dialog with a wannabe admin ... and he was crying at his mother-admin and i guess thats caused my stuff to be deleted ... but for some reason they left me some small amount of wallpapers ... strange people... i hope that will change in soon future

Miko
01-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Don&#39;t worry, it isn&#39;t your fault.... when I was banned, I had a "nice" dialogue with a REAL admin (one of the most active ones at that).... and by nice, I mean loaded with profanity.

Daemon
01-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Miko@Jan 11 2004, 07:13 AM
Don&#39;t worry, it isn&#39;t your fault.... when I was banned, I had a "nice" dialogue with a REAL admin (one of the most active ones at that).... and by nice, I mean loaded with profanity.
loaded with profanity, I like that, but even though all that ager was unleashed unto the admin, it won&#39;t bring anime wallpapers back :(

just wondering, is there a ANTI-deviantART site? lol

MistressPookyChan
01-11-2004, 07:28 PM
why don&#39;t ya&#39;ll post your stuff on animegalleries.net? Every member gets free space for a personal gallery.

Daemon
01-11-2004, 10:02 PM
what is it? is it new?
never heard of it...

KeV
01-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Daemon+Jan 11 2004, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Daemon @ Jan 11 2004, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Miko@Jan 11 2004, 07:13 AM
loaded with profanity, I like that, but even though all that ager was unleashed unto the admin, it won&#39;t bring anime wallpapers back :(

just wondering, is there a ANTI-deviantART site? lol [/b][/quote]
there are a lot of anti devart sites if u guys didnt noticed

theres animeonline.net
animelayer.com

those are places omicron_15 visits mostly

and now coming up, a guy from DA&#39;s creating an Deviantart clone, looks similar to DA, but only houses anime related

its called, minitokyo.net

im not advertising, but i have been comfortable with those bunch

MistressPookyChan
01-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Daemon@Jan 11 2004, 10:02 PM
what is it? is it new?
never heard of it...
animegalleries.net is part of the animeglobe family. because of this, all of you are already members of the site. I forgot how much space every member gets, but it is quite a lot.

asher_aj_wei
01-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I forgot how much space every member gets, but it is quite a lot.
Quite a lot? That&#39;s an understatement... Kaitou is simply crazy&#33; Let him show the bandwidth drain for just a week and I think I&#39;ll run and hide in the toilet in terror -_-

omicron_15
01-13-2004, 03:09 AM
Yea it sucks that they are getting rid of devart&#39;s anime walls, well animeonline is a great place to post and animelayer is also good if you want good critiqs of your work, like kev said.