PDA

View Full Version : Your potential time capsule

OminousCloud
08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
If you were to make a time capsule today/tomorrow/at the end of this week, to be opened in say 100 years, what would you put in it?

I would include: A collection of newspapers from around the world, a video of the city and of me, biotechnology textbooks, Greek, Eqyptian hieroglyphic and English scrypts, biotechnology textbooks, a letter to the person/people/alien space dog that has opened the time capsule explaining who I am and a description of the world today, floppy disks, CD's, DVD's, USB's loaded with stuff, an explanation of what is fiction and non-fiction and how books were written in our time, some condoms (for the lulz), a sample of my DNA (reconstruct me at a later time =D), photographs and paper copies of the already listed where applicable...

'Inspired' by LiveJournal writer's block... oh yeah!

Teddy2116
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd put in there:
Five bucks, cause you never know a hundread years from now that five bucks could be worth half a mil and then I would be prised as a god HAHAHAHA. Also a note saying: "If this five dollars make you happy then lady luck is on your side more so than she is on mine"

Capernicus
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice thread. *thumbs up*

I would include all the DVDs of lesbian culture I own (Strawberry Panic, Shuffle!, Sailor Moon, Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith, Saving Face, etc), Michael Jackson CDs, a series of my favorite orchestra instruments (violin, piano, cello, flute, clarinet, etc), samples of my writing, my Vivi plush and Master Toneberry plush, my pokeballs!, root beer, freeze-dried ice cream, photographs of big cities and important artwork, a series of math books (real analysis, logic, group theory, number theory set theory, game theory, history of math, Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry). Finally, a letter explaining how awesome I am, how the world works, my views on things such as politics, religion, morals, and other things.

Ryuuzaki HD
08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
A chest with a single joker card inside

Cobra Commander
08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd probably put a bomb in there, with a note that says - If you've seen these on TV, and it wasn't the History Channel, bury this thing another 100 years.

Señor Nobody
08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
1) My violin so they can enjoy it.
2) Several text books so they can lol at our inferior intellect.
3) My first painting
4) A request for them to build me some sort of power armor and to send it back to me immediately via time machine. I got some evil acts to perform and I'm on a tight schedule.

Diocletian
08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd put in a copy of Harry Potter. When the time comes for the apocalypse, and everything is gone and that chest is the last thing left on earth, people will think it's the bible. Of course they have to dig it up first, but just imagine people thinking that the world used to be full of wussy wizards and guys with snake faces (?).

Eris
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd fill it with a glass of milk, some fruit, a betamax tape and a forged newspaper packed full of anachronisms and factual inaccuracies.

Nice thread. *thumbs up*

I would include all the DVDs of lesbian culture I own (Strawberry Panic, Shuffle!, Sailor Moon, Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith, Saving Face, etc), Michael Jackson CDs, a series of my favorite orchestra instruments (violin, piano, cello, flute, clarinet, etc), samples of my writing, my Vivi plush and Master Toneberry plush, my pokeballs!, root beer, freeze-dried ice cream, photographs of big cities and important artwork, a series of math books (real analysis, logic, group theory, number theory set theory, game theory, history of math, Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry). Finally, a letter explaining how awesome I am, how the world works, my views on things such as politics, religion, morals, and other things.

Putting DVDs and CDs in there is the same as putting a Betamax tape in there. CDs and DVDs don't last very long, and there won't be a player in the world around who can play them. Heck, try finding a computer that can load 5¼ inch floppies nowadays? And it's only been what? 30 or 40 years?

Luluko
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
- My four notebooks of recipes, so they can go "What? People used to make their meals like this? lol We have it so much better with our pills and water".

- Disney animated movies!

- My collection of fairy tales.

And... that's it, I guess.

Cobra Commander
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Heck, try finding a computer that can load 5¼ inch floppies nowadays? And it's only been what? 30 or 40 years?

About 20 years. I recall having a 386 in the house with a 5 1/4 drive, and getting new software for it that came on those disks.

I also remember playing the Doom Shareware from several 3.5 floppies when I was about 10.

I tossed it out for recycling a few years ago. It still worked, and had Windows 3.1 on it. When I was little, it had the last version of DOS, if I recall. The disk drives were bad, and when I opened the case to see about changing them, I couldn't remove the drives without ruining the motherboard...there was some corrosion in there.

It booted up and ran my Doom from when I was little, though.

Luluko
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
a betamax tape

My dad still has his betamax, and it works too! Maybe I should put that in my time capsule since Eris will put a tape on hers(?).

Dead rose
08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
i would put cockroaches, lizards, snakes and frogs in it lol oh...a bomb to hehehe

Dark Wolf 09
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd put my stories in there, my Dragonforce CD's in there, StarWars DVD's and all that I have collected over the past years, like lightsabers, and blasters, so they can actually make the real deal. A copy of my DNA, and blood sample. So they can clone me into the future, crappy computers so they can make a mockery at how bad Windows/Apple sucked. My consoles, PS3, Xbox 360, SNES, Nintendo Wii, Atari, all of it, in the time capsule, so people again, can make a mockery about it, because in the future console's will be no more it'll be all universal. DVD movies, and a couple of guitars so they can rebuild rock!

Petrol Gas
08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
My amateur photo stash. In 100 years, those girls will be dead and they'll look completely different if they're not.

Sparda
08-05-2009, 02:11 AM
nuthing but a note saying "what did you expect?" :):)

Eris
08-05-2009, 06:01 AM
My dad still has his betamax, and it works too! Maybe I should put that in my time capsule since Eris will put a tape on hers(?).

Unfortunately, that won't work. Electronics are not like fine wines, and do not age well. The primary villain is solder whiskering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)) causing short circuits.

DOOM!
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd stash 100,000 US Dollars in it!

Inactive Account 0061
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
A bomb that detonates when you open the box.. That teach them to mess with my box!

overwatch
08-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Another time capsule - inside of which is yet another - and another and another and so on.....

Of course each capsule has to be left unopened for however long - it will torment people so!

Rem Nightfall
08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd put my comics in there man. hahahahahah every era has to have a comic man. I'll laminate if I have too...hahahahaahahaha. And my car keys with a not: Find my car so I may be resurrected. hahahahhahaa. God I could wonder what they would think when they saw that. Some haunted car is in one the alleyways. hahahahahaha.

Luluko
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, that won't work. Electronics are not like fine wines, and do not age well. The primary villain is solder whiskering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_%28metallurgy%29) causing short circuits.

Mmm, you're right.

Still, I'll put it in the time capsule in case they can somehow reconstruct it so they can see your tape.

Bluemoon22
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd put newspaper articles, pictures of myself and my family, old magazines, and other stuff I have lying around. I'd also probably put an assortment of music both recorded and printed and a way to play the music recordings. I'd also probably put in my thoughts on the music.

Also, I actually created a sort of time capsule around Christmas. It was just a letter to myself I'm keeping sealed for two years. I thought it would interesting comparing where I am now to two years from now. Anyone else actually try creating some sort of time capsule?

Eris
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM

The funny part is that if you do the math on inflation, that's worth like a stick of gum in 100 years.

Baka
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
-A bus pass
-A headless Bobble Head
-A Pandapple plush
-$7.72
-Flintstone's vitamins
-Garbage Pail Kids cards

Diocletian
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM

I would put pesos, since Mexico will have sent their hidden nukes by 2014. Little did Mr. Bush know that the Iranians didn't have the bombs, but Mexico.

DOOM!
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Hmmmm, then I'll put... A Million Dollars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw)!

Red&Stiletto
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
A car with manual, a computer with manual, a bike, every instrument ever made with sheet music and instructions on how to play, all sorts of cloths making devices (crochet and knitting needles, sewing needles, sewing machine etc.), skeletons of animals, books (fictional, nonfictional, biography, etc.), gems, stones, photos of cities, people, animals, flowers, (etc.), home-made arts and crafts things, food recipes, seeds and bulbs for all sorts of vegetation, lots of stuffed animals, 1 of every piece of money (penny, dime, 1 dollar bill, 5 dollar bill, etc) and others from other countries, whatever pieces of other cultures I can get, and a note, explaining why I put everything in the capsule and that if all that stuff is still around and prevelent in 100 years, to close it back up for another 100 years or so but if not, open a museum and re-iterate (sp?) all the things possible back into the then-modern day life.

Yeah. I'd need a HUGE capsule. -_-"

OminousCloud
08-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Another time capsule - inside of which is yet another - and another and another and so on.....

Of course each capsule has to be left unopened for however long - it will torment people so!

It might not torment them that badly. There's really nothing to stop them from continuing on to the next time capsule, unless you include an ominous message warning of impending doom lest you don't wait another 10 years, pat a dog, clap your hands 5 times and then turn the lock anticlockwise while waving a chicken...

Grim Scythe
08-07-2009, 08:53 AM
The morning newspaper, honey, and peanuts. Might as well have a snack while reading a paper on how messed up the world was.

October.
08-07-2009, 09:18 AM
my stupid stories, some pictures, my friends' nicknames, my old diary, that day's newspaper(so they can check out how old the capsule is..lolz), probably a journal in which i wrote about my life in very few sentences, my slam book and lots of ohter useless things....
when they open it, they'll find rubbish....

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I would put pesos, since Mexico will have sent their hidden nukes by 2014. Little did Mr. Bush know that the Iranians didn't have the bombs, but Mexico.
Of course he knew! That's why he was trying so hard to send Mexican terrorists out of our country. Why do you think so many of them work in landscaping? Easy access to fertilizer and diesel fuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANFO).

I'm going to steal America: the Book's answer and say 1984, so people in 2109 know what people from 1949 thought 25 years ago would look like.