PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when you went to your first convention?

Zeokoz
07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering how old some of you were when you went to your first convention because I have wanted to go to several conventions, even some video game ones, for quite some time now but I am only 17 years old. Is there anyway, that when I at least turn 18, I will be able to go to a con? Like, also one of the big problems is that I live in Ohio, and I would have to fly there. Am I better off waiting until I am older to go?

Thanks guys!;)

Otaku_nerd13
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I was about 12 or 13 when I went to my first con and it was only 45 minutes away from my hometown, as long as you have the drive for a long trip go for it!

Suiseiseki~
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Don't know if it counts, but I was 14 (or 13, I dunno) when I went to my first convention, it was a gaming convention.

*Tsuki*
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I haven`t been to a convention. There was one that I almost went to, it was really close, but I completely forgot. <.< Guess I`ll just wait. ^^

kurai_cho2
07-28-2009, 02:49 AM
hmmmmm... I think when I was 10 years old.. I visited convention when there was japanese culture show in there

Sonata
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I went to my first con when I was 19, but the people I went with were several years younger.

Considering that a good chunk of anime convention goers are in their teens, it sounds like you're at the perfect age. Although if you have to fly, you may want to wait a year or bring an adult with you.

Bluemoon22
07-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I was 21, but yes there are people there that are in their teens. Definitely bring an adult or at least go with a group. One of the rules my group has is that especially if you're cosplaying, always have a buddy with you.

-Batman-
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Mine?
Hmm...I want to say 16, but it may have been 17.

The Rebel
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
How old was I? lol I was 33 when I went to my first convention. Course, I've only been to 2 so far. Now I make it a BIG point of my year to attend SakuraCon. But at SakuraCon, they had kids that were like 6 or so cosplaying. I agree with the earlier comment, go in a group. There are the obvious advantages, but then there are the unobvious ones. As a group, you can do a group theme. Another advantage is if you get a hotel room, you split the cost. But the BIGGEST advantage to a group going on your first con is SUPPORT. Trust me, your first convention can be nerve racking if not down right terrifying. You can hear all the stories from others, but it never truelly prepares you for what you find. It can be a major mental shock. But once you've gone, you'll want to go again. It totally rocks. And yes, alot of the convention goers WILL be teens, but you do get some older folks like me going too. Anime conventions is the greatest way for anime to bridge the gaps in age, ethnic background, and gender. No matter the age, gender, or genetic background, we are all there for the same reason, our love of the anime.

Mrs_Kitsune
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
My first con was around age 19. I wasn't prepared for the madness and looking back and knowing what I know, that con was small!

XxPantherChickxX
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I might go to one in August. If I do, that'll be my first one. XP

amadorhi
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I was 16 when i went to my first convention. AnimeNext 08 ftw.

JapanAni
08-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I think I was 16 when I first went to a convention. That was a long time ago

baseofnara
08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
For my first anime convention I was 22 years old I think. It’s not a very big one I go to but at lest it’s in the city where I live. I would have to agree with a lot of people who posted here, that going with someone would be a good idea but in a group would be better. I was with two other people and I was glad of it too. I do plain on going to a bigger one next year but that means travelling to it. I also don’t think your age is any problem because it’s all ages that go to anime conventions, just like any convention really. When you do go I suggest planning ahead on weather or not you will make one or two trips for all the stuff you buy and/or cosplay out fit so your not logging it around all day. Conventions tend to be long and a few days normally. If you don’t want to drop stuff off at your hotel or eat there instead, I would suggest renting a locker so you don’t tire out as fast. Though, for my self I like going home to eat and drop off stuff that way I also don’t get stopped from the checks either later on in the day for the music show.
/baseofnara

lilminx
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
im 19 and still havent gone >.< i was supposed to go this year but it somehow falied ,oh well...maybe next year

JIMBO.
08-15-2009, 03:03 AM
my first con was back in 03 not been to a con since 06

GrimHeaper
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I was 15, the year was 2009, and the con was Otakon.
XD
Yeah...this past Otakon was my first convention.

Gr1mmy
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
^ Oh you were at Otakon too =OOO

I was 14, Otakon 2008 =3

GrimHeaper
08-19-2009, 05:34 PM
O: So i guess that means you were there? XD
I wasnt dressed up as a character, but i will be next year! ^^

Gr1mmy
08-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Yep, yep. I feel sorta disappointed I didn't get to see Kanon Wakeshima T_T

GrimHeaper
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Aw poor you. She was adorable! Me and my friends made it in. But, we I was upset when we couldnt get in to see Crispin Freeman. :/

Funkgun
08-19-2009, 10:50 PM
How old was I? lol I was 33 when I went to my first convention. Course, I've only been to 2 so far. Now I make it a BIG point of my year to attend SakuraCon. But at SakuraCon, they had kids that were like 6 or so cosplaying. I agree with the earlier comment, go in a group. There are the obvious advantages, but then there are the unobvious ones. As a group, you can do a group theme. Another advantage is if you get a hotel room, you split the cost. But the BIGGEST advantage to a group going on your first con is SUPPORT. Trust me, your first convention can be nerve racking if not down right terrifying. You can hear all the stories from others, but it never truelly prepares you for what you find. It can be a major mental shock. But once you've gone, you'll want to go again. It totally rocks. And yes, alot of the convention goers WILL be teens, but you do get some older folks like me going too. Anime conventions is the greatest way for anime to bridge the gaps in age, ethnic background, and gender. No matter the age, gender, or genetic background, we are all there for the same reason, our love of the anime.
I was 33 too. =D

RexCars
08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I was 17, A-Kon 2002.

Good times.

Seraphemei
08-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I was seventeen when I went to my first con. It was anime detour 2008. then of course I became obsessed. So much crazy randomness. But I only was there one day.

Then last year, when I was eighteen, I actually got a room and stayed the whole weekend. So I guess I would say I got the whole experience, last year.

sbsp13668
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm going to my first convention next weekend! ^.^ I'm 17 O.O Yesh, it took me a while to get to one.

Akito0o
08-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I was 13 i went with my older brother, i go usually twice a year to 2 different cons.

Akito0o
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm going to my first convention next weekend! ^.^ I'm 17 O.O Yesh, it took me a while to get to one.
Are you going to Fan EXPO ? :)

sbsp13668
08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Are you going to Fan EXPO ? :)

Yesh! ^.^ I might wear my zombie costume; liquid latex is a lot of fun. XD