PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about computers or Technology

Gero50
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I was wondering about people's knowledge of computers n here. What are you good at when it comes to using the computer and how dose it help you or other people you know.
For me, I know quite a bit.
This is a list of what I do

Build and repair PCs and laptops
Some HTML and CSS I'm in the learning stages
Photoshop
Illustrator
Flash also in the learning stages
Administration of web sites of many kinds
Just about anything on a cell phone/smart phone

sa5m
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm okay. Probably better than the average person, but I still have my problems.

For example, my mom, being the computer genius she is, deleted the sound from her computer. I tried to download the software from the manufacturer's website but her computer won't even download it. So now, every night when I'm trying to sleep, I can hear her computer beeping all throughout the night as she browses the net.

Hopefully I'll be able to be better at computers after a college degree of some sort... since I'm majoring in information technology...

Capernicus
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I know how to recognize when a computer is dying. That's about the extent of it. I would say the only savvy thing I know on my computer is how to make best use of its tablet features. Many samples of handwriting and constant correction are key! Now it converts it to text correctly 9 times out of 10.

Now if I could just get the speech recognition to be that reliable...

gaburieru
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh were do I start....

VB.NET and PHP programming
MYSQL-databasemanagement with phpmyadmin
Various CMS-systems...
Some basic GIMP/PS
Windows XP inside out
Enough Linux to get it working in a home-enviorment
(X)HTML and CSS
A little Javascript

BTW Getting a Macbook anytime soon, can't wait *___*

Khanxay
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
- Replace/Add PC parts. I haven't made an entire computer yet but I'm close!
- Clean out a PC (Viruses, adware, shareware, crapware, bloatware, fake antivirus)
- Install Windows. (Lol, easiest thing ever.)
- Basic usage of Adobe (coughMacromedia) Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Flash. Self-taught.
- Some HTML and some CSS. Self-taught so not much.
- I dunno what else to list but there's probably plenty more.

Seņor Nobody
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll admit this upfront: I know next to nothing of how a computer runs, how it is made, or how to use some of its features.

Teddy2116
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I know enough to keep my comp up and running, I guess I know a little more than most since I lived with people who build their comps.

Kasu
07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I know how to build a PC by yourself, but I don't do it because I lack the fine motor skills.
If it comes to software, I'm the average Windows/Mac OS user I guess.
I do know some bits about HTML, PHP and Java though.

Velvet_Nightmare
07-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Basic HTML
Photo/Video editing
Some networking, LANs and that sort of thing

I've taken a pause, but I might try learning Flash and 3-D animation again.

nenuma
07-27-2009, 01:20 AM
A few parts of the computer.
--The monitor, keyboard and the cpu.
Some html's
Basic video editing
>.>
But I always learn from my mistakes.

OminousCloud
07-27-2009, 02:36 AM
I can do very basic things like turning my computer on and off (very important), photo editing on paintshop, navigating the web and some other simple browser things and I'm alright at fixing things or finding out what is wrong with my uber google powers...

In short, I R techmology (sic) dweeb =D

Akihiko_88
07-27-2009, 03:25 AM
the usual, i'm not a genius but i can do the things that i need, and when i need to learn someting new, i start exploring without knowing what i'm doing

Eris
07-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Hardware: I've built several white boxes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_box_(computer_hardware))
Operating systems: I'm proficient in several UNIX systems (Linux, BSD, Solaris).
Programming: I've got 8 years of experience in C programming, and I'm fluent in C++ (5 or so years?), Java, several assembly dialects, MATLAB, FORTRAN, python and lua. I also know a few meta-languages as well, like yacc and flex.

IFS
07-28-2009, 04:55 AM
If I look hard enough I can find the on switch, although not as skilled as Eris in the programming department, I have knowledge in C# programming and SQL database managing, and I have very little C++ understanding, also I can program in Perl and DHTML, plus I know a little about Linux, and some about xp.

Anime Forum
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow, I leave for a month and a new section is already made.

Anyways, back the topic.

I build websites, but my websites are not going to good

Um, I also know how to hack a couple sites but I don't enjoy using that info so I don't do it.

neilkevins
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi Gero50....

I know how to repair the computer means whenever i face problem with my computer, i just format the operating system and install new operating system.

Tsundere Works
08-04-2009, 04:50 AM
I can:

Hardware:
Build a machine [PC]
Hack Intel-Based PC to run Leopard
Clean out Windows XP [Optimization, Virus Removal, Program Cracking/Installation]
Downgrade/Upgrade

Change Hard Drive/ Optical/ Floppy/Zip Drive
Install Fans
Install PCI Cards

Hack a Dell 9 Mini to run Mac OS X Leopard Natively

Install a Solid State Drive/ Blu Ray Drive

Hack a trackpad to make it function as a pen tablet. [Just put a cell battery on it, anybody can do it.]

Change IP address, add direct proxy for unrestricted Internet access from school.

Replace LCD with Touch-Sensitve panel. [For netbooks.]

[B]Software:

Video Editing
Photoshop
Paint Tool SAI
Mac OS X/ Windows 95-Vista
Dreamweaver/Flash 8-CS4 [Build nice looking websites & animation]
Word Processing [Office Suite/iWork '08]
Disk Utility [Disc Diagnostic Tool.]

Driver Installation

...and a few other things. I don't know a thing about code. Only basic HTML and Visual Basic. [Which is something probably nobody uses anymore.]

Eris
08-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Hack a trackpad to make it function as a pen tablet. [Just put a cell battery on it, anybody can do it.]

Heh, I had moderate success in writing program that tracked pen/finger movement on the screen with a pair of webcams. In the end, there wasn't enough precision for it to work, though. Which was a shame, since it was pretty cool the times it did work.

Gero50
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Heh, I had moderate success in writing program that tracked pen/finger movement on the screen with a pair of webcams. In the end, there wasn't enough precision for it to work, though. Which was a shame, since it was pretty cool the times it did work.

That is pretty advanced stuff what first gave you the idea to try it.

Eris
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
That is pretty advanced stuff what first gave you the idea to try it.

I was just playing around with webcam programming, and figured it would be pretty easy to implement. And it was, but it only worked so-so.

The more difficult part was getting multiple webcams to work in Linux. I ended up making light modifications to the webcam driver to get it to work. :-)

dslayer
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Fixing PCs, Laptops.
Great with linux OS
Learning C#
HTML, CSS, & Flash...
And anything that is a pc...just love stickin my brain into it.

_-Anonymous-_
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
well i can dissemble and assemble my comp , and software wise i know less.

LiLi.
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Errr. I go on the internet and use graphical programs..?

Tsundere Works
08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
That's amazing. =0

Gero50
08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I was just playing around with webcam programming, and figured it would be pretty easy to implement. And it was, but it only worked so-so.

The more difficult part was getting multiple webcams to work in Linux. I ended up making light modifications to the webcam driver to get it to work. :-)
Oh you got into the driver file and modified it. In Linux I know that is not hard, but in Windows you can't even get in there without a fight.

Shin Natsume
08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
SOME internal hardware replacement (RAM, Hard Drive, etc...)
Languages: HTML, JavaScript, JAVA, C, C++
My first project that I'm working on is an NES emulator -_- interesting to me at the least. Eris helps when I get stuck a lot. I should be done emulating the 6502 CPU by the end of the week, never have time because of work <_<

I can write simple network applications, packet sniffers and arp spoofers (not hard at all)

And I can -in my opinion- write a pretty good key logger which was pretty cool.

Other things: I took an entire course on Microsoft Office 2007. Working on my Network+ certification now so I'm decent when it comes to networks.

Tsundere Works
08-05-2009, 04:32 PM
SOME internal hardware replacement (RAM, Hard Drive, etc...)
Languages: HTML, JavaScript, JAVA, C, C++
My first project that I'm working on is an NES emulator -_- interesting to me at the least. Eris helps when I get stuck a lot. I should be done emulating the 6502 CPU by the end of the week, never have time because of work <_<

I can write simple network applications, packet sniffers and arp spoofers (not hard at all)

And I can -in my opinion- write a pretty good key logger which was pretty cool.

Other things: I took an entire course on Microsoft Office 2007. Working on my Network+ certification now so I'm decent when it comes to networks.
How does that work? Do you need a actual NES, and extract the firmware or something from it? =0

benjamin89
08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
So many people with lots of knowledge here. I'm not big on this term but I do know some stuff.

Photoshop
Illustrator
Visual Basic
Flash

Thats about it. :)

Eris
08-05-2009, 07:10 PM
How does that work? Do you need a actual NES, and extract the firmware or something from it? =0

I don't think NES has any firmware to speak of. I'm 30% certain the cartridge is simply mapped to ROM and the machine boots that. Though I really only know how to emulate the 6502 processor that NES is based upon, not the actual NES, so I couldn't tell.

Shin Natsume
08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
You would find maybe something like a "BIOS" in a DreamCast emulator or in a GBA emulator which I believe is not very legal to distribute. And no, you don't need an NES just to use it.

Eris
08-06-2009, 08:21 AM
You would find maybe something like a "BIOS" in a DreamCast emulator or in a GBA emulator which I believe is not very legal to distribute. And no, you don't need an NES just to use it.

Actually, I checked it out. There is no BIOS on the NES. All the runnable code is on the cartridges.

Fryzar
08-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I've done my course in ITE (IT Engineering) and now doing ISE (Information System Engineering).
So really I'm good all round :D

*Tsuki*
08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I can turn it on,
and then go onto the internet.
I can sometimes save pictures,
and put them on my computer from my camera. ^.^

Tsundere Works
08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Actually, I checked it out. There is no BIOS on the NES. All the runnable code is on the cartridges.
Really? No BIOS? Seems like it's just an empty box.

How does the NES know what to boot, though? =0

Sorry if I sound like an idiot lol

Eris
08-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Really? No BIOS? Seems like it's just an empty box.

How does the NES know what to boot, though? =0

Sorry if I sound like an idiot lol

There is no harddrive, so it probably just puts the instruction pointer at the beginning of ROM.

sataned
08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
i know that i can not makes the sexys time with a computer.
other than that i know how to break computers and technologys and how to make a website kind of and how to install games onto a computer ;) and how to mod a xbox 360 to make it play burned games thats bout it...

Phoenix101
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I got a International diploma in Information Systems Engineering (ITE) And I am Studying Information Systems Engineering (ISE), so I know allot about hardware and a little about programming, oh and I know how to create web pages using notepad (HTML). OS's I only know Windows and some Linuxes.