PDA

View Full Version : My Japanese coach, Learning Japanese is now portible

chithanh119
07-23-2009, 08:02 AM
A few weeks ago, I bought My Japanese coach for the DS to see if it would go well to aide me with the language. Turns out that this game is super execellent!!!!

The lessions take at least 30 mins to complete and each tutorial comes jam pack with fun interactive games to enhance your experinces with gameplay!!!

There's even a video I made for Youtube for gaming review just search

"My Japanese coach kairosan style"

Have anyone attempted to play this game?? It's a must!!!

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Here's my problem with the game: it focuses too much on romaji.

So you know that placement test at the beginning? I took it and it pushes you to lesson 11. I thought "cool, that's handy". However, they're still teaching hiragana and katakana at lesson 11. The kana should be the very first thing you learn before even learning words. The writing is awful. With さ you generally write it with a disconnected bottom line, but it's typed connected. This game forces you to copy the typing form, forcing your handwriting to less native. And where's the kanji? Why doesn't it display kanji? Kanji is absolutely essential to any Japanese student.

And don't even get me started about the mini-games. Most of them are useless. Even for beginners, I can't call this game an effective tool. I would love to go into it more, but I can't. This (http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/tag/my-japanese-coach/) explains all the flaws much more clearly.

Mrpurple
07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I dont even now why I bought the game when I could get Rosetta stone free the ds game does focus too much on romanji I dont think its a very good tool.

Rizuchan
07-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I bought it out of curiosity and for the most part I'm okay with it. If anything I've learned some vocab out of it.

I don't know that I would recommend it to someone without prior lessons in Japanese, though. I agree with most of Penguin-san's points (Though I've always had the habit of writing my さs connected, the stroke order I learned for よ is different from the game and it always throws a fit about that) My biggest peave with it is that in the initial lesson on verbs, it gets informal and formal verbs mixed up, fixes them in the first half of the second lesson and then gets them wrong again, or something like that. I recognized it right away, but I can't imagine how confusing that would be for someone who hadn't learned that sort of thing yet!

And where's the kanji? Why doesn't it display kanji? Kanji is absolutely essential to any Japanese student.
It does introduce kanji eventually, just later than it probably should and not as much as it should.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-24-2009, 11:17 AM
(Though I've always had the habit of writing my さs connected, the stroke order I learned for よ is different from the game and it always throws a fit about that)

Oh don't worry, it was only this year that I learned that さs are more commonly not connected. And yes! Your よ is correct, trust me. The stroke order for it is wrong in the game.

It's not completely horrible. Some of the vocab was pretty nice. Except for the fact that they didn't tell you the dictionary form of the words. I had people asking me, how do you conjugate "元気な", because the game taught them that the word was "元気な". Just another one of my peeves in the game.

noobee
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
wow nice! i have to get one soon

ranma9090
08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
kenji isnt realy japanese at all the truth is the other two fars are but kenji is actualy chinese the truth is i have a pen pall in japan he says every one he knows carys a kenji dictinary so its almost imposible to memorize all kenji because every simbol in kenji is a word now emagin learning a diferent symbol for every word and a nother thing romenji iswester form japanese writing it was made to aid in translations to western languige
and to quote uncle from jackie chan one more thing japan branched off of china thousands of years ago so just think about what i sayed
i know i mispelled some words i'me tired right now so sew me:D

Capitán
08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I learned both chinese and japanese and kanji is used in both languages if you write them.

dabura667
08-31-2009, 07:51 AM
not to mention outright misspellings and mismatched words...

some words are incorrect, flat out...

its good for absolute beginners who know NOTHING about the game and want to learn basic vocabulary.

you also misspelled portable...

Anyaaa
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
kenji isnt realy japanese at all the truth is the other two fars are but kenji is actualy chinese the truth is i have a pen pall in japan he says every one he knows carys a kenji dictinary so its almost imposible to memorize all kenji because every simbol in kenji is a word now emagin learning a diferent symbol for every word and a nother thing romenji iswester form japanese writing it was made to aid in translations to western languige
and to quote uncle from jackie chan one more thing japan branched off of china thousands of years ago so just think about what i sayed
i know i mispelled some words i'me tired right now so sew me:D

Regardless of the origins, Kanji are still Japanese and you need to learn them if you want to read in Japanese.