PDA

View Full Version : Gantz Anime

Noskee88
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Wasnt it just so inferior to the manga!?

Gjallarhorn
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Horribly, horribly inferior to the manga.

1) It covers about 5% of the "story".
2) It doesn't even get to the real plot.
3) Most of the primary characters aren't introduced.
4) Most of the greatest battles never occur.
5) You never learn anything true about Gantz.

Doom85
07-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Indeed, it was awful. Instead of GONZO, Madhouse should have animated it and handled it like Black Lagoon, doing 13-episode seasons separated from each other. That way, the pacing could be better (let's face it, it only takes about 15 episodes to adapt 100 Gantz chapters, since a lot of it is action/short dialogue) and there would be no awful filler ending. They might not finish (Black Lagoon only has two seasons with a 3rd on the way), but at least we'd get way further in the manga than GONZO did.

Last week's chapter just messed with my mind. What's going on?! Whatever it is, Nishi looks like he's ready to rock! :)

I'm also glad Dark Horse is releasing the volumes at a two-month pace. At that rate, the manga volumes will be past where the anime cut off around early 2010.

benjamin89
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
..So what you guys are saying is that I who havent read the mange, just seen the anime, have been missing out on basically..Whole Gantz?

WitchHunter
07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Just one question. In the manga, did everyone do the "Someone's dying, and I could save them, but that would involve actual effort so screw it" thing that they did repeatedly in the anime?

Gjallarhorn
07-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Just one question. In the manga, did everyone do the "Someone's dying, and I could save them, but that would involve actual effort so screw it" thing that they did repeatedly in the anime?

It happens on occasion. Not everyone is a do-gooder nor a villian, so there were "players" who would do nothing and usually just end up splattered across the pavement. Of course, the body-count in the manga is much, much, much greater than that shown in the anime.

RaShayRitto
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
i havent read the manga but the second i finished the anime i KNEW something wasnt right. because, you know....they forgot to add a story! does anyone release the manga in english and uncensored? maybe its because the majority of manga i find are tokyo pop but they are always censored in ways their jap counterparts arent. i have a feeling that in Gantz's case that would be a LOT to cut out

Doom85
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
does anyone release the manga in english and uncensored?

Dark Horse is releasing the manga, a volume every two months, completely uncut (so far the only nudity censored is Kurono's *cough*, but I'm pretty sure the original manga edited that out anyway). Volumes 1-5 are now available, and 6 should be out soon. It's either 8 or 9 where the manga goes past where the manga cut off.

Gero50
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Wasnt it just so inferior to the manga!?
I would say the manga was far better then the anime. It just felt like the anime was out of order and didn't fellow the manga for the mos part.

Annik
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I've seen bits of the Manga, but I haven't found a reliable source to download from, so most of my experience with Gantz stems from the Anime and only the Anime. All I really know is that in the Manga Nishi doesn't die so fast and there's a panda involved.

Doom85
07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
All I really know is that in the Manga Nishi doesn't die so fast and there's a panda involved.

Not quite right: Nishi dies in the second mission like in the anime, but Kurono finds out one of the options one can use after getting 100 points is bringing a dead player back to life (the other two are freedom from the missions, or obtaining a new "weapon" to use on future missions). After one mission much later in the manga, the team has tons of points, and one of the people they bring back is Nishi since he knows info they might need. So far with the latest chapter, Nishi is still alive.

As for the panda, just wait. It seems like the dog all over again in terms of usefulness in the missions, but the mangaka shocks you later.