PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the next generation games and consoles?

Akihiko_88
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
They say the next generation of games and consoles like the wii or singstar/eyetoy are the future, you now, like 3d goggles, but to me, i prefer a dualshock and a normal action/adventure game.

What about you? are you in favor of the new generation?

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
We will ALWAYS have consoles with standard gamepads. Anyone who says otherwise probably didn't finish the third grade. With how well Wii is selling, and the processing power that we have (and will have), you'll continue to see "changes" in how games are played. This won't directly affect traditional gaming for the most part.

We'll see the next update with a new type of optical media, and even more of an emphasis on downloadable games/content. Bigger internal storage media, and updated online functionality. Maybe we'll see something else, but it's too early to say what they're working on.

Bulf
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I think the new generation should be a little of both. Sorta like the Wii, but it should use more of those classic analog controllers. So, something that the family can enjoy, and still keep the young'uns preoccupied and stuff. Or some system like the G Gundam controllers where they had those suits on. I could see that as being loads of fun.

JIMBO.
07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I for one hate all this motion sensoring gamplay, the reason we play video games in the first place "is so we dont have to get up and jump about" get home after a long day and you wont want to do that.

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 11:50 PM
^^ Well.. the reason why some of us play games is to unwind after a long day. When the mood hits me, a game of Boom Blox is fantastic.

Haoie
07-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Talk about gimmicky.

AnswerBAK
07-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Ive got a 360 and a ps3 but my little bro lets me use his nintendo wii and I think the motion controls on the 3 axis are a good idea,however I dont think the wii has the prcessing power to utilise it to well, though im told the ps3 had a display showcasing something similar to a wii-mote at E3......??? But for me ill always like a traditional console best.

Dr. Thunder
07-07-2009, 05:38 AM
well I hope the new generation games will be good when they come out

Hanamaru Kunikida
07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
As a matter of fact, the WiiHD has already been confirm to come 2010-2011ish, I just need to find the article now.

We will ALWAYS have consoles with standard gamepads. Anyone who says otherwise probably didn't finish the third grade. With how well Wii is selling, and the processing power that we have (and will have), you'll continue to see "changes" in how games are played. This won't directly affect traditional gaming for the most part.

I have to agree with this too.

Ryuuzaki HD
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
As a matter of fact, the WiiHD has already been confirm to come 2010-2011ish, I just need to find the article now.

It hasn't been confirmed at all or even been hinted at that a Wii HD will be made... in fact Nintendo said they arnt going to make it.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/992/992075p1.html

ghosti5of6
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
It's only natural that Game Platforms and controls evolve. I mean really, look how far its come over the last twenty years...from a mouse lookin' thing with a wheel, to a controller with a tall stick and one button, to dual analog with thumb pad, over ten buttons, vibration feedback, and a rechargeable battery pack.
And with the NexGen consoles, it's not different. And sure, the Wii nunchuck is...well, I'm not really a fan, but look at the possible future applications for it. Home-based, console powered, VR Simulators.
I can't wait!
Course, until then, I'll stick to the standard controller. Besides, its not like the games don't keep getting better and better...

Rubedo, the Crystal Blood
07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
211Yeah, but you know, the 360 and PS3 are going to be standard for a long time. I don't think we'll see changes until the mass of corporations decides to switch to 64 bit.

Honestly, today's games are taking so long to load. Programmers are getting sloppy...

I don't see a problem with life-imitation simulators. I mean, haven't we tried to imitate life since the first racing sim came out? I mean, c'mon, even Gran Tourismo 2 had a wheel attachment you could play with. Don't tell me that doesn't qualify as a game that attempts to simulate REAL life, lol.

Don't get me wrong though. If today's generation of programmers were willing to go into the code themselves as if they didn't have a super awesome debugger and make their stuff the best in the industry, we'd have the most awesome games.

I'm looking forward to the touch-screen generation, to be honest.

I have a programmer friend who is starting his own game studio (just starting), and he got into shooters. His test version is extremely crappy, but the one thing I like is that he's running 60 FPS on a 40 dollar video card in a 150 dollar computer. He refused to give me the internal specs, but he was so proud of that. I don't know how many of you know how amazing that is?

Gero50
07-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I think they're okay. I am not much of a hard core gamer so it's hard to really say. I like what they have done with XBOX 360 and how they have improved it from day 1. The PS3 is really nice with the Blu-ray player built in. And the fact you can play some games in 1080p. The Wii is my favorite because I have always been a big Nintendo fan. I think they may have pushed the online part a little much, but these days you sometimes here off people going online with their Wii.
I gess that about sums it.

Hanamaru Kunikida
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
It hasn't been confirmed at all or even been hinted at that a Wii HD will be made... in fact Nintendo said they arnt going to make it.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/992/992075p1.html

Sorry for the giving out wrong info then. ^_^;

Cobra Commander
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm curious about the games and technology, but I wasn't that impressed by the PS3 or the 360. Part of that is because I'm a PC gamer, and the other part is that with the exception of The Force Unleashed [which I played on my friend's 360] every console game I'd want to play comes to PC. [And in the case of GTA4, it's better on PC].

I would be sold on a console, IF there was keyboard and mouse support 100% of the time for shooters. I hate playing shooters with my thumbs. If I just wanted fighting and racing games, I'd be all set. I like my mouse and keyboard anytime I need to aim.

WoW isn't on consoles, and I doubt Diablo 3 will be, but I would bet that that will be the next step. Well, not D3, but MMOs on you consoles - maybe with a more controller-friendly [or keyboard support I guess] scheme, but MMOs nonetheless. And I don't mean crap like Shadowrun, I mean stuff like WoW, Eve Online, things where there's more than a few things you need to assign keys to.

Storm Strife
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
WoW isn't on consoles, and I doubt Diablo 3 will be, but I would bet that that will be the next step. Well, not D3, but MMOs on you consoles - maybe with a more controller-friendly [or keyboard support I guess] scheme, but MMOs nonetheless. And I don't mean crap like Shadowrun, I mean stuff like WoW, Eve Online, things where there's more than a few things you need to assign keys to.

There are console MMOs, but it's only two. Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Online. There's the potential for more, but no-one else wants to go for it.

And I wouldn't exactly consider console Shadowrun to be a MMO or an RPG. It's a multiplayer FPS game that got fans a bit miffed because they were expecting something similar to Deus Ex or System Shock.

Cobra Commander
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought it was supposed to be something cool as well. Then I played it. As I recall, there wasn't much there but a deathmatch. I think something like Planetside would do really well on the console market.

Anyway, I've heard about this device that you can control games with your mind, but I don't know what system it's for. I thought they said it worked with the 360, but I don't recall for sure. That's pretty cool.

They should make stuff like that USB, and then make sure everyone has USB ports for peripherals like that.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
211Yeah, but you know, the 360 and PS3 are going to be standard for a long time. I don't think we'll see changes until the mass of corporations decides to switch to 64 bit.
64 Bit processing means almost no changes for the user end, that's why they haven't changed over yet.

Honestly, today's games are taking so long to load. Programmers are getting sloppy...Today's games need to process more data in a shorter period of time. Any magnetic (hard drive) or optical (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) drive system imposes very strict bottlenecks on how much data can be read in a set period of time. The only way around this is if solid-state (cartridges, pen-drives) becomes much more affordable because optical disks cost so very little, no one is going to be dumb enough to shoot themselves in the financial foot in order to keep loading times a little smaller. Even Nintendo, who stuck with solid state through the N64 when it's death was already clear to even the hacks at Sega.

Don't get me wrong though. If today's generation of programmers were willing to go into the code themselves as if they didn't have a super awesome debugger and make their stuff the best in the industry, we'd have the most awesome games.This makes little sense. Today's programmers do go into the code themselves (even people writing games on top of pre-made engines rarely leave them as they are) they don't have a super awesome debugger. In fact, I don't even know what a "super awesome debugger" is. Many of them are actively trying to make the best games in the industry, because nobody wants Barbie Horse Adventure on their resume. The problem is that many studios are badly run, badly staffed, and/or badly funded.

I'm looking forward to the touch-screen generation, to be honest.It's fine, so long as you don't want to intuitively control the largest number of game genres.

I have a programmer friend who is starting his own game studio (just starting), and he got into shooters. His test version is extremely crappy, but the one thing I like is that he's running 60 FPS on a 40 dollar video card in a 150 dollar computer. He refused to give me the internal specs, but he was so proud of that. I don't know how many of you know how amazing that is?

How impressive it would be depends entirely on how complex what he's rendering is. If it looks like, say, Half Life 2, then kudos. If it looks like Wolfenstien 3D then not so much. Even in the prehistoric age (lo those 15 years ago) 60 was achievable with only the slightest bit of elbow grease. 60 is the magical number only because nothing over 60 fps makes a difference to the user. And really, anything over 40 is fine for a fps.