PDA

View Full Version : Hyped failures....

Sparda
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
just as the title suggests please comment on some games that you know of that have been hyped up to the maximum but failed miserably...

I remember how spore had been hyped for so many years, but when it came out it was the biggest failure ever...

you know any?

Lordwindowlicker
06-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't say that spore was a failure, just not the massive success that everyone thought it would be.

Dryaxx
06-27-2009, 02:39 AM
There was the mmo Age of Conan. über high hype.. it sucked donkey (bad word)

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 02:52 AM
^^ Balls, testicles, nuts, sack, scrotum..?

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 05:29 AM
The PS3 is a hyped faliure so are resistence, kill zone 2, Halo wars etc I could go on forever but who can forget the biggest hyped faliure this gen: GTA4, Modern warfare 2 is setting itself up for exactly that so are FF13 and Bioshock 2.

Haoie
06-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Plenty: Everything from Daikatana to Virtual Boy.

Memento Mori
06-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl was God-awful, in my opinion. No matter what the critics say.

Gandizzl
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Gotta agree with Dryaxx, Age Of Conan was hyped out of this world. And I think here in Norway the hype was even more extreme because of Funcom being a Norwegian company.
But at least I made some money on stocks, too bad for those that waited some extra months with selling.

Assassin's Creed was also hyped way out of proportion.
I don't say that it was a bad game, but it just didn't live up to it's hype at all.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Damn how did I forget Assassins creed.

Also to the bad repper: yes im a Wii fan boy thats why I have my XBL gamertag in my sig idiot.
Oh so now its 360 fanboy I guess all my posts defending Nintendo were for nothing and to idiot number 2 I said FF13 is setting its self up for a failure learn to read.

Solipsism
06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok it didn't get overly hyped, but had a Television advert, and that was too much, Godfather II.
Worst game I've ever played, I mean the first one surpassed it... That's a low.

Legend of the Twilight
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, well, according to my boyfriend The Last Remnant was a failure. He said it was very flawed. Actually, I've heard lots of people complain about new Square-Enix games. It's probably because Hironobu Sakaguchi is gone.

I'd say Square-Enix is a failure on it's own. :P

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 11:53 AM
By the way respect other peoples opinions, if someone doesnt like a game you do heres a idea for you discuss.

ShinNatsume
06-27-2009, 11:57 AM
FF13 probably

Kojack
06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
This may have been self-hyped, but Class of Heroes was disappointing for me (if anyone has actually heard of it-- an Atlus niche title for PSP). It looked like a superior Etrian Odyssey, but when I got my hands on it, it felt very clunky and it was hard to know what was going on. Very little animation, lack of overall presentation. Too much reliance on text, even for a Wizardry-like game.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl was God-awful, in my opinion. No matter what the critics say.

How so? It played just as well as the previous Smash Bros games.. it just had a lot more content.

Storm Strife
06-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Fable.

Peter made it up to be this huge world where everything you did affected it somehow, and that you could be evil as hell.

End result? A game where only one or two actual actions alter something, focused heavily on good rather than evil.

Diocletian
06-27-2009, 06:36 PM
GTA 4. Many thought it would be the best of the series, but it turned out to be the worst. It was much too realistic. When I play GTA, I just want to trick some hookers, get them out of the car, then kill them to get my money back. I didn't get that in GTA 4. I got a bunch of realism.

Cobra Commander
06-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I found GTA4 to be much more satisfying than any of the previous titles. If I want hookers and such, SA is good. I liked the realism.

Call of Duty World at War was utter crap compared to Modern Warfare and the originals. I didn't really like CoD2 much either.

I also thought Quake 4 was overhyped. It looked like nothing more than a Doom 3 clone to me, and Doom 3 wasn't nearly as great as it could have been. It was a solid game, but nothing spectacular.

Sparda
06-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Call of Duty World at War was utter crap compared to Modern Warfare and the originals. I didn't really like CoD2 much either.

yer seriously and i was lookin forward to that game, the funny thing was the online beta was funner then the actual game...

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
For me, the biggest disappointment in years was Doom 3. Fantastic lighting engine, great technology behind it. It was Half Life in a Doom mask. The atmosphere was fantastic... but it was slowed down to a snail's pace.

Doom and Doom 2 had lightning fast FPS gameplay.. running around a map at 200mph while demons throw rockets, fireballs, etc at you.. a split second away from being blown to bits. Doom 3 had none of that..

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-27-2009, 07:19 PM
The PS3 is a hyped faliure so are resistence, kill zone 2, Halo wars etc I could go on forever but who can forget the biggest hyped faliure this gen: GTA4, Modern warfare 2 is setting itself up for exactly that so are FF13 and Bioshock 2.

Please. PS3 has sold 14.8% less consoles then the 360. To use last generation as an example, The X Box sold 85.2% less consoles then the PS2, and the Gamecube 84.4%. Would you conceder them to be "hyped failures"? *

TL;DR You best be trolling.

I think most of you are doing this thread wrong. I don't think the OP was looking for subjective answers so much as objective ones. That is to say, games most people agreed failed to be as good as the buzz suggested, not simply games you didn't enjoy as much as others did. Examples would be Bionic Commando, Fracture, and Dark Sector.

* Numbers dutifully stolen from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_war) and rewritten in percentage form by your's truly.

Diocletian
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Please. PS3 has sold 14.8% less consoles then the 360. To use last generation as an example, The X Box sold 85.2% less consoles then the PS2, and the Gamecube 84.4%. Would you conceder them to be "hyped failures"? *

TL;DR You best be trolling.

I think most of you are doing this thread wrong. I don't think the OP was looking for subjective answers so much as objective ones. That is to say, games most people agreed failed to be as good as the buzz suggested, not simply games you didn't enjoy as much as others did. Examples would be Bionic Commando, Fracture, and Dark Sector.

* Numbers dutifully stolen from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_war) and rewritten in percentage form by your's truly.

The OP is too vague. I'm not that big a gamer so I couldn't tell you what's successful or what's a failure. I just went on my POV.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 07:39 PM

More specifically it was all the hype about Blu-ray the way Sony promised better graphics because of disc space, have we seen that? NO the graphics are identical to the 360s, have we seen longer games like they said? No they are no longer than any other consoles games, so basicaly yes they did over hype it and it failed to live up to it.

by the way I like how you ignore the Nintendo Wii statistic's just because you don't like them but now stats matter because it makes Sony look good?

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
More specifically it was all the hype about Blu-ray the way Sony promised better graphics because of disc space, have we seen that? NO the graphics are identical to the 360s, have we seen longer games like they said? No they are no longer than any other consoles games, so basicaly yes they did over hype it and it failed to live up to it.

I don't remember them saying anything about bluray improving the graphics of the games. They vaguely hinted that the culmination of all the hardware elements could make for some very pretty games, and so far.. they've been right.

by the way I like how you ignore the Nintendo Wii statistic's just because you don't like them but now stats matter because it makes Sony look good?

I think you're reading too far into that.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't remember them saying anything about bluray improving the graphics of the games. They vaguely hinted that the culmination of all the hardware elements could make for some very pretty games, and so far.. they've been right.

One of the main reasons for Blu ray was bigger disc space so they could put better quality graphics on the disc along with the extra prosessors they jamed in were supposed to make the graphics quility better and the games longer than Xbox but they are identical so FAIL.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 08:21 PM
One of the main reasons for Blu ray was bigger disc space so they could put better quality graphics on the disc along with the extra prosessors they jamed in were supposed to make the graphics quility better and the games longer than Xbox but they are identical so FAIL.

They didn't say that.. because that's not how graphics work. You can have the most high res textures in the world, if you can't load them to ram.. it won't make a difference. Sony knows this..

The space is good for adding extra content, etc.. but I don't remember them ever claiming that the increased space would make the graphics better.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I didn't ignore the Wii, simply wasn't relevant to my argument, which was about the small difference you allowed between "hyped failure" and success. I wasn't arguing for the PS3, I was arguing against your fanboyism.

But I'll do as you ask, and include Wii statistics in my argument. You are arguing one console with 22% market share is a "hyped failure" while another with 25.8% market share isn't. Please explain why 3.8% market share makes the difference between "hyped failure" and not.

I don't remember them saying anything about bluray improving the graphics of the games. They vaguely hinted that the culmination of all the hardware elements could make for some very pretty games, and so far.. they've been right. ^Pretty much.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
They didn't say that.. because that's not how graphics work. You can have the most high res textures in the world, if you can't load them to ram.. it won't make a difference. Sony knows this..

The space is good for adding extra content, etc.. but I don't remember them ever claiming that the increased space would make the graphics better.

That was the entire argument they had with HD DVD.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
That was the entire argument they had with HD DVD.

The argument they had with HD DVD was that the video would be far superior on blu-ray.. as well as more space for features on the video discs. You know, since HD DVD was never used as a gaming media.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Let's play a game called spot the PS3 game!

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?page=1&results=50&name=&console=&minSales=0&publisher=&genre=&sort=Total

PS3 has sold 14.8% less consoles then the 360.

For a console with only 14.8% less consoles sold they sure don't sell many games.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 08:48 PM
^^ Does it help you sleep at night to think that Ps3's software sales are lower than 360's?

You're looking at the all-time best sales? That's not really a good way to look at it. What about week by week? Yeah, it's outsold by 360 in America... but that doesn't mean it's doing "badly". To say it's a failure is pretty ignorant.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 08:50 PM
^^ Does it help you sleep at night to think that Ps3's software sales are lower than 360's?

No but it makes me laugh at how PS3 is obiously a hyped failure since they can't sell games.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
^^ Again, look at the week to week sales. Not the all-time best.

The sales aren't quite as good as 360, but they're not as bad as you're making them out to be.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
^^ Again, look at the week to week sales. Not the all-time best.

The sales aren't quite as good as 360, but they're not as bad as you're making them out to be.

But for all the hype they put into the power of the hardware just to get outsold brings me yet again to the conclusion PS3 is a hyped failure.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
But for all the hype they put into the power of the hardware just to get outsold brings me yet again to the conclusion PS3 is a hyped failure.

That's a pretty bad way to define "failure". If you don't care for it, that's fine.. but I disagree completely with your "conclusion". How can something have failed when it's still being sold? Failure is definitive.. Ps3 and 360 are still battling it out.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 09:02 PM
That's a pretty bad way to define "failure". If you don't care for it, that's fine.. but I disagree completely with your "conclusion". How can something have failed when it's still being sold? Failure is definitive.. Ps3 and 360 are still battling it out.

It was over on September 25, 2007.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
^^ How so?

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrYSEOg3Ro

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:08 PM
^^ Youtube is blocked by my work. Big boys use their words.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
A picture speaks 1000 words.

http://www.jeffcraven.com/images/halo3logo.JPG

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM
^^ So Halo 3 sold really well.. and that means Ps3 has failed? Poor logic.

Storm Strife
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Yeah, you're right.

It says, "I can't actually back up my claims, so I'm just gonna state that Halo 3 is teh best game EVAR like every other rabid Xbox 360 fanboy and leave it at that. Proper research and study be damned!"

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
^^ So Halo 3 sold really well.. and that means Ps3 has failed? Poor logic.

No it means Sony are still trying to catch up after being raped by a game that was out 2 years ago.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
No it means Sony are still trying to catch up after being raped by a game that was out 2 years ago.

They're doing damned well in their own right. If you can't tell that, then you're probably pretty blind.

Learn to game with no biases and you'l be a LOT happier.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
You still don't get it do you? the entire point all along has been that the PS3 hyped up the hardware so much and didn't deliver.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I disagree. First you're saying that the hardware doesn't deliver.. and yet the games look great. Now you're saying that it didn't deliver in sales. Not only is that to be determined at the end of the console's lifespan, but it's actually doing quite well.

It's not failed in either way.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I disagree. First you're saying that the hardware doesn't deliver.. and yet the games look great.

Just not as good as they said.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Just not as good as they said.

A: They didn't say "THIS IS HOW GOOD THEY WILL LOOK BECAUSE WE HAVE BLURAY!" They didn't give us a definitive level of how "good" they'll look.

B: Even if they had, the system is still evolving. You can only say that after they stop making games for it. Look at Ps2 at launch, and Ps2 now.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
They said it would out preform the 360 but it hasent.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 10:26 PM
They said it would out preform the 360 but it hasent.

In some cases it has, in some cases it hasn't. Find the quote where they said that outright.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 10:29 PM
In some cases it has, in some cases it hasn't.

But when it comes right down to it over all they haven't.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 10:36 PM
How so? Some PS3 exclusives blow 360 exclusives out of the water. Some 360 exclusives look better than Ps3 exclusives.

In that case, they have.. and they haven't. They sure as hell haven't failed.

Oh, and I'm STILL waiting on that quote from Sony.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 10:46 PM
How so? Some PS3 exclusives blow 360 exclusives out of the water. Some 360 exclusives look better than Ps3 exclusives.

Which is my point if the PS3 hardware is better like its surposed to be why arn't the graphics better?

Oh, and I'm STILL waiting on that quote from Sony.

Just look at the spec's they say that they are better than the 360's but if thats true why haven't we seen it in the games?

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Which is my point if the PS3 hardware is better like its surposed to be why arn't the graphics better?

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. That's now how computer graphics work. The 360 has a more powerful graphics card that uses some more advanced shader technology. Couple that with the arcitechture being far easier to master.. and you get most games running better on 360.

Ps3 is no slouch for what it is. The processor is a monster when it come to floating point calculations.

Just look at the spec's they say that they are better than the 360's but if thats true why haven't we seen it in the games?

Where did Sony say "We're better, all games will look better, etc"? Besides, would you expect them to say "Our system is powerful, but in some ways 360 is better"? Sorry, but neither of them have told you the whole truth. Besides, why should that matter? Some Ps3 games look better, some 360 games look better. They both have great games.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
We are just going round in circles here, you would have to be incredibly naive to think that Sony wern't trying to beat Microsft on hardware from the start and since the 360 came out way before the PS3, Sony had more than enough time to improve on the hardware and make it better than the 360, which they have failed at since the games are pretty much identical as has been said many times before.

Lordwindowlicker
06-27-2009, 11:14 PM
We are just going round in circles here, you would have to be incredibly naive to think that Sony wern't trying to beat Microsft on hardware from the start and since the 360 came out way before the PS3, Sony had more than enough time to improve on the hardware and make it better than the 360, which they have failed at since the games are pretty much identical as has been said many times before.

Where did I say that they weren't trying to beat Microsoft? I simply said that once they were out, they aren't going to say "Yeah, certain parts of Microsoft's machine are better than ours.". Just as Microsoft wouldn't admit it either.

Some Ps3 games look better than 360 games, and some 360 games look better than Ps3 games. Neither of them have "failed".

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
ITT Xbot trolls a lot and is fed too much.

Lordwindowlicker
06-28-2009, 12:59 AM
^^ Yeah, sorry. I'm bored at work, and have trouble not debating something so.. blatantly incorrect.

Dryaxx
06-28-2009, 03:47 AM

http://www.jeffcraven.com/images/halo3logo.JPG

Halo3 was also a hyped failure. IT SUCKED!

bakakame
06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Stated too many times for me to bother quoting, but for all the hype from Sony and fan's about how godly the Cell is, the folks at IBM who actually designed the chips for the 2 consoles have gone on record saying there are equally powerful. (wow, that last bit sounded like some dragonball quote. That's embarrassing...)

Memento Mori
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
How so? It played just as well as the previous Smash Bros games.. it just had a lot more content.

The game is seriously boring to play when playing by yourself and even with another person, it's boring.

Lordwindowlicker
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
The game is seriously boring to play when playing by yourself and even with another person, it's boring.

I disagree... I don't see how someone could enjoy previous Smash Bros games and dislike Brawl.. It's just more of the same. A LOT more of the same.

NorthOfTime
06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I would have to say the biggest let down of almost all consoles was Doom 3. I avidly played Doom and Doom 2 and Doom TNT/Putonia, along with a junk load of WAD's. I was expecting something like what Lordwindowlicker said

Doom and Doom 2 had lightning fast FPS gameplay.. running around a map at 200mph while demons throw rockets, fireballs, etc at you.. a split second away from being blown to bits. Doom 3 had none of that..

Unlike himthough i was against some of the other features. Like for instance there not being anything really new. It was still just a basic FPS, almost exactly like the first two only with better graphics and what not. I was really looking forward to new inovative play or something along those lines.. But eh didnt get it.. huge let down.. I even hated the Cyber Demons.. My fave boss in all game EVER! lols.. its always so fun to start a new WAD ive never played and shoot once and see how many cybeis i can hear... then seek them out and kill them... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. jk

I guess anout failure for me was Halo 3. Some say it was a failure and some not. but id have to say that it was why over hyped. I played it the day after its release and after about an hour, was already bored with it cause most if not all of it is the same as Halo 2. But im not a Halo geek either soo, i guess my opninion doesnt count.

On the other hand, the two biggest good turn outs as of late were COD4 Modern Warfare, and Unreal Tournament 3. Both got some hype and both in my opinion turned out quite nice. UT3 im very happy with becasue it stuck with its originale game plan of high speed high gore super intense killing sprees, and COD4 because i never liked the Call of Duty franchise until then, and the awesome graphics, and realistic play.. Got to tell you though, the SAW sounds kinda like the one in real life...... Off topic on that though..lala

Mr. Panda
06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
R-Tactics. I thought that game was going to be a side-scrolling shooting game, but nooo. It's a freaking tactical game. D<

Seta Souji
06-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Star wars the force unleashed. Glad there were reviews for it as soon it was released.