PDA

View Full Version : Otakon '09 ~ July 17th-19th

Japandora
06-21-2009, 04:07 AM
http://www.otakon.com/images/hdr_logo.jpg (http://www.otakon.com/default2.asp)

DETAILS
July 17th-19th, 2009
Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Preregistration (bypass opening day lines) fee: $55
Opening day fee: $65

Musical Guests: Kanon Wakashima, VAMPS (Hyde & K.A.Z.), Naomi Tamura, Becca-chan

So, my only question is, "Who the heck is going?" :D

Lordwindowlicker
06-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I won't have the money this year... although I'd LOVE to go. Getting a hotel, bumming around town. Even though I'm just down the road a bit. :P

Japandora
06-21-2009, 05:04 AM
I won't have the money this year... although I'd LOVE to go. Getting a hotel, bumming around town. Even though I'm just down the road a bit. :P

A lot of people who are short on cash (me included >.>) tend to team up with other peasant would-be attendees and combine forces to secure a hotel room. While it can be a risk, websites are a good place to do this. A very popular Cosplay website hosts Otakon meetups yearly where members of the board split and share hotel costs. Just something to think about...

Lordwindowlicker
06-21-2009, 05:52 AM
It'd be nice.. but I still don't think it's in the budget. Besides, seeing the dealers room and not being able to do anything about it would depress me to no end.

sa5m
06-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I would love to go, but I hate my mom tagging around. After all, I AM a minor. -_-

k-kid
06-21-2009, 11:34 AM
My folks and I are going to go as vacation.

I'm gonna go dressed in my home made cosplay !)

Japandora
06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
It'd be nice.. but I still don't think it's in the budget. Besides, seeing the dealers room and not being able to do anything about it would depress me to no end.

*chuckle* True 'dat. T____T;

I would love to go, but I hate my mom tagging around. After all, I AM a minor. -_-

There are plenty of minors at Otakon!

I'm gonna go dressed in my home made cosplay !)

Who are ya goin' as? :3

sa5m
06-21-2009, 01:26 PM
There are plenty of minors at Otakon!

But my mom has to follow me around (it's her rule). And that's kind of awkward.

Japandora
06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
But my mom has to follow me around (it's her rule). And that's kind of awkward.

Clearly you haven't yet mastered the art of parental manipulation. There are three easy steps to ditching your parents at a con--trust me, I have experience with this. ^^;

Consent to all of your parents' terms and thank them repeatedly for allowing you to go. Also call the "suck up" phase.
Once at the convention, grab one of the schedules and sit down with your parents and show them which panels you're interested in and where you'll probably be spending your time. This is the "puts your parents' minds at ease" phase.
The most important phase of all. After about two hours (your parents will already be tiring of following you around) go to the game room. This is where you will pretend to get absorbed in playing your favorite games. After about 15-20 minutes, your parental unit will start to get bored reeeeeally fast. The fated line will come: "Well you're just going to stay here and play games for a while, right?" "Yeah, why, mom?" "Well I'm just going to go for a short walk." "It's okay mom, here's the schedule of the events so you know where I'll be if we get separated." Flash her an award-winning smile and hand her the schedule you filled out in step 2.Viola! Best way to ditch an overprotective parent at a con. :D

tonhao90
06-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Seems expensive to me...

Cons in Brazil are R$40 or so (~US$20). Actually, they are not that good, but Brazilians don't have much money either, so it works fine.

I'd really like to go to a "true" con, but I can't afford paying airplane tickets to US. Besides, getting a visa to North America when you are a South American isn't the easiest thing in the world...

Kaitou Ace
06-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Otakon tends to be a lot of fun really. I'll definitely be there again this year.

Junior
07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm definitely going, hopefully better than last year.

I was Naoto from FLCL and everyone thought I was either Ness, Scout from TF2, or Lil' Slugger, and I walked alone most of the time cause my gf ditched me for her TF2 cosplayers.

BUT THIS YEAR: New friends, new cosplay (along with a slightly improved Naoto costume...I really think the bandage will help) and new attitude going in! Huzzah!

sa5m
07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Clearly you haven't yet mastered the art of parental manipulation. There are three easy steps to ditching your parents at a con--trust me, I have experience with this. ^^;

Consent to all of your parents' terms and thank them repeatedly for allowing you to go. Also call the "suck up" phase.
Once at the convention, grab one of the schedules and sit down with your parents and show them which panels you're interested in and where you'll probably be spending your time. This is the "puts your parents' minds at ease" phase.
The most important phase of all. After about two hours (your parents will already be tiring of following you around) go to the game room. This is where you will pretend to get absorbed in playing your favorite games. After about 15-20 minutes, your parental unit will start to get bored reeeeeally fast. The fated line will come: "Well you're just going to stay here and play games for a while, right?" "Yeah, why, mom?" "Well I'm just going to go for a short walk." "It's okay mom, here's the schedule of the events so you know where I'll be if we get separated." Flash her an award-winning smile and hand her the schedule you filled out in step 2.Viola! Best way to ditch an overprotective parent at a con. :D
Ahahaha. That makes sense!

Japandora
07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Actually, they are not that good, but Brazilians don't have much money either, so it works fine.
Look on the bright side--at least South America (Chile specifically) gets some of the best Japanese musicians to tour there. Miyavi barely touched the U.S. when he toured last time. Ugh. American fans chase all these talented musicians away with their unrestrained obsession. :banghead:

Otakon tends to be a lot of fun really. I'll definitely be there again this year.
Cosplaying? Going to raid the dealers room? Bringing a camera? Whadya plan to do at the con? =D

I was Naoto from FLCL and everyone thought I was either Ness, Scout from TF2, or Lil' Slugger, and I walked alone most of the time cause my gf ditched me for her TF2 cosplayers.
The problem with Fooly Cooly is that it's not as in vogue as it once was--it's almost as if the mainstream anime like Haruhi completely brainwashes the minds of every anime fan so they forget beloved characters like Naoto. This is a terrible shame. Oh well, I'll definitely have my eyes peeled for any bandaged Naotos. :D

Yuuki Kurosu
07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Omigosh, I almost went to this about 2 yrs ago but my dad said no. Dx
I was planning to cosplay as Sakura Kinomoto from Card Captor Sakura.
I heard it's an awesome con. (:

Japandora
07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Omigosh, I almost went to this about 2 yrs ago but my dad said no. Dx
I was planning to cosplay as Sakura Kinomoto from Card Captor Sakura.
I heard it's an awesome con. (:

It's extremely awesome. The people who organize it are some of the most experienced and dedicated individuals I've ever met. I enjoyed it more than AFO and AX.

Sonata
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
It's extremely awesome. The people who organize it are some of the most experienced and dedicated individuals I've ever met. I enjoyed it more than AFO and AX.

Seconded. I've never seen a con as well run as Otakon. It's the only con where I never worry about lines, not because there aren't any but because they're so well-managed it's not stressful to go through them.

I'll be going this year, but it'll probably be my last year for a while.

ArtemisA
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Hopefully I'll get to see the few panels I want to see, since I'll be working in the dealers room most of the time. On my feet selling yukata. :rolleyes:

I'm so jaded with most things at cons, like I've already seen most of what there is to see. And Otakon is so big and crowded. ><

Japandora
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Otakon's over. I had a great time, did you? My L (Death Note) cosplay on Saturday/Sunday was hugely celebrated and I won a small award with it. My back hurts today from all the hunching over like L does. I wish I had the money for a chiropractor, but I spent it all at the con. =(

Anyone else go? Take any nice pics? Any special moments?

Junior
07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
I had some good fun aside from some drama.

My Naota costume went slightly better, and my Neville Longbottm (Harry Potter) outfit was a hit ^^

Schindler
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I went in '08 but I didn't have enough money to go this year. Some of my friends went though.

GrimHeaper
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I was there. It was the best ever