PDA

View Full Version : Themes in dreams

Seņor Nobody
06-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm relatively sure any threads like this are closed. I may be wrong, the search feature never seems to work right or I don't look well enough.

Does anyone else have a recurring theme in their dreams? Most of my dreams revolve around the number 25.

I was a mouse in one of my dreams, eating junk and such and saw a calendar and the date was May 25.

I dreamt it was my 21st birthday but there were 25 candles on the cake.

I was waking up and looked at the digital clock and it read 0:25:14 (24 hour clock)

There are many others but I choose not to bore you with them. Anyone else?

None of the above
06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Not really. Barely remembering my dreams these last days. They're usually a mash-up of random crap. Although recently I started deraming a lot about parties, or more than usual.

polaris 北極星
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
i have a recurring dream that my teeth are falling out. ive researched what it might mean, but what ive found didnt really go along with my current understanding of my own phyche. the subconcience is a many-spendored thing!

Eris
06-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I often dream about the destruction of the planet at the hands of stupid or incompetent people.

Heinekenrana
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Mine, no matter how they begin, always end with someone (who I'll assume is me, since I'm seeing what's going on through the first-person viewpoint) walking through a field of nothing - no grass, no rocks, just bare dirt - at night in the rain. They all end that way.

JIMBO.
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I dream (over 8 times now) that I go back to my first job factory at night and break in I ransack the place for my ex bosses' address,details and things of value and then torch the place then I go looking for the bosses house to do the same when he goes on holiday, maybe frame him for it like he is trying to get the money for it.

I hated working for them that much, it was so cool when he was off for ages after his farther got cancer and died,

_-Anonymous-_
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
For every once a month i have this dream a of a girl i met 5 years ago when i was 11 , in my previous school. I hope she is fine.

Fiery
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
i have a recurring dream that my teeth are falling out. ive researched what it might mean, but what ive found didnt really go along with my current understanding of my own phyche. the subconcience is a many-spendored thing!

I have a lot of dreams about my teeth falling out, too, strangely enough. I also have your run of the mill dreams about school and not being prepared for whatever it is you're faced with.

I also... have a lot of dreams about chat. Not necessarily the people in chat, but the interface itself. Like the screen and the text keep getting larger and larger and closer to my face until everything goes black. It's bizarre.

SeraphimAriaRhapsody
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
After finding a puzzle from an ancient ruin,a few years pass for me to figure out the contents to solve the puzzle. The object mysteriously shines violently to life as it rises in mid-air. Unknown symbolic lighted text and imagry appear in the sky and on the ground. As I regain my composure from the shock, I desperately escape the glowing orb, but with no avail. The object possesses and moves my body towards it against my will. A horrendous beam of light from the sky floods into every fiber of my body as I scream in agony only to be awaken by this nightmare.

Seņor Nobody
06-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I often dream about the destruction of the planet at the hands of stupid or incompetent people.

Horrifying.

Mine, no matter how they begin, always end with someone (who I'll assume is me, since I'm seeing what's going on through the first-person viewpoint) walking through a field of nothing - no grass, no rocks, just bare dirt - at night in the rain. They all end that way.

Interesting. Does anything happen during this?

I dream (over 8 times now) that I go back to my first job factory at night and break in I ransack the place for my ex bosses' address,details and things of value and then torch the place then I go looking for the bosses house to do the same when he goes on holiday, maybe frame him for it like he is trying to get the money for it.

I hated working for them that much, it was so cool when he was off for ages after his farther got cancer and died,

Arson is always fun.

I also... have a lot of dreams about chat. Not necessarily the people in chat, but the interface itself. Like the screen and the text keep getting larger and larger and closer to my face until everything goes black. It's bizarre.

Perhaps a little break from Chat is needed?

Atsui Sake
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
After watching Jurassic Park for the first time, I had raptor and t-rex dreams (I was hiding in little nooks most of the time in those dreams, trying to avoid contact with either of them).

After I moved to where I am now, I often had distorted dreams of my old work place. By distorted, I mean the store layout was different, I had a different boss, and my old co-workers became my high school friends.

At current, my dreams are either just random events, made up with random people that I know, and random places that are meshed together into one place. I also have the every now and then volcano dream, since I live right next to a volcano. Man, my volcano dreams are intense!

Capernicus
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I often dream about having a penis. It's strange and always in some different context. Sometimes I'm me with just the extra attachment, sometimes I'm a male me, one time I was Harry Potter. I just seem to have one, whether it's the focus of the dream or some side note. Though, I never do anything with it.

RexCars
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Art Deco.

This early 20th century theme always pops up when I'm in a nightmare.

Miss Moonlight
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I have alot of dreams involving water or air. Me drowing, me swimming, me diving, me flying, me falling, or other things like that.

Rarely do I remember my dreams, so it needs to be a rememberable one to stand out in my mind.

SigmaSD
06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I've had a lot of dreams about me posting here in AF and PMing people. I've also had some about me running away from my parents (because they were trying to kill me). Then of course there are those when I'm just walking and suddenly I feel like I'm falling.

Baka
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
When I am dreaming I use the default theme. Meaning that I dream everyday things like going to the store or doing laundry. I know. How boring. I even sleep with cartoons playing on the TV hoping it will influence my dreams to become more animated. But it never does.

*Tsuki*
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Mine revolve around school.

It's usually my elementary school, on the playground.
It makes sense to me, 'cuz that was my favorite place to be, and then the people who went to elemetary school are there.

But then, other times it's completely random, and there is no theme. People often turn into other people, and there's sometimes aligators.

Oh, there's also a certain person who appears in my dream, and when that person appears, my dream is completely about him. Even though I haven't seen him in three years . . .

Sparda
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Most of my dreams are about my old school school days and playing with my friends, it does bring back fun memories when i wake up , but also sad ones.

I even sleep with cartoons playing on the TV hoping it will influence my dreams to become more animated. But it never does.

Never seems to work......

Eris
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Art Deco.

This early 20th century theme always pops up when I'm in a nightmare.

Too much BioShock?

daft
06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Snakes... alot of them.

Atsui Sake
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Snakes... alot of them.

Were they on an air plane?

daft
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Were they on an air plane?
No, they were all over the floor and walls.. like Indiana Jones's worst nightmare.

Barcode.
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
From what I can remember, I don't think so. My dreams are random and they seem to vary from night to night.

Takizawa
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
so you have dreams about the world as it is :)

JIMBO.
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
anyone know about lucid dreaming ?

where you can take control of your dreams and make them go the way you want, I became quite good at it since I dont deep sleep from my restless nights (dont make me show the bags on my eyes again)

anyone?

Eris
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
so you have dreams about the world as it is :)

In my dreams, it's much more destructive. Like nuclear holocaust and crud.

I also dreamed once that everyone was completely reckless. Just walking off buildings, into traffic, etc. Everything was on fire because the idiots had caused fires and not figured out it was a smart idea to put them out, and cars were constantly crashing into buildings and each other, and the world sort of looked like it does in Half-Life 2.

Seta Souji
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM

where you can take control of your dreams and make them go the way you want, I became quite good at it since I dont deep sleep from my restless nights (dont make me show the bags on my eyes again)

anyone?
Yea my friends used to brag how they were able to control their wet dreams.

I usually dream of being chased by assassins/hitmen or fighting and most of the time I always get shot or stabbed. When we're fighting I'm always in slow motion while they're super like a ninja. The last dream I had I was spider-man but I still got shot while fighting.

Cobra Commander
06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Sometimes.

When I was small, I used to have a recurring nightmare every time I got sick. It involved a very large tank-like vehicle, rolling over the earth. I assume it crusted cities and people, I don't remember. I was always standing on it, trying not to fall. There was always someone that I was trying to help, though being a kid I didn't really know how to do anything, even in a dream.

I'd wake up from it, and would unfailingly puke my guts out. It was like it was an alarm clock or something, but for puke.

I last had it around age 13. I managed to have some say over the dream - they call that lucid dreaming, I think. I was ill, and decided that time to make a conscious effort to stop having the stupid dream - I found myself on the vehicle, but this time had some kind of bomb in my hand. I put it down and jumped off as the thing exploded. I woke up, but wasn't sick right away like the usual times. I never had that dream again.

Other than the tank, the only thing I remember is a large round lollipop that was predominantly yellow with red swirls. I don't know where it was or what it was doing, but it was always present.

Usually my dreams are violent. Not senseless gore, but sometimes I'll dream of being a soldier in war, or trapped somewhere where there is fighting or terrorism. Sometimes I fight, sometimes I run, and sometimes I wake up, meaning I died I guess.

I had one where I was chasing a sea turtle through a shopping mall with a shotgun, and as I was shooting the turtle, ninjas came in through the skylights. I don't know what happened after that. I don't know why I was shooting a turtle, or had a shotgun in a mall. I don't own a gun like that, either.

If it's not that, then I'm searching for someone. It might be a friend, a girl I know, a person from work, or even a fictional character. When I first watched Bleach, I woke up from a dream where I was searching for Rukia for some reason, and was being aided by Captain Sisko from Star Trek, and some other random people. There was a cop car involved, and Darth Vader was on a billboard talking smack to people on the highway.

Yeah, that last one...I was trashed out of my mind when I went to bed.

I usually remember the really weird stuff, and even look forward to dreaming weird stuff. I very rarely have x-rated dreams. At least, none that I remember. I'm sure it happens.

InvaderKap
06-16-2009, 01:10 AM
I dreamt the following a couple weeks ago. This dream made me cry in my sleep.

There is a small wooden house, address 606, near the intersection between Elkwood Street and Leonardo Road, both long pathways connecting various driveways. The driveways are all possessed by stone houses with tall chimneys, and a few have sculptures to their right or left, perhaps a wishing well or two by the house of the occasional highly liberal occupant. But somehow, the occupants of each, though so very diverse and unique, are all the same in that they are mundane, and despite their resounding, unanimous wishes to be so very diverse for reasons that may be only spiritual or moral, they have acquired sameness in that they all wish to be mutually different, and so they are limited to a single outlook on life. They are prisoners of difference. Nobody knows what is outside this strange neighborhood that contains Elkwood Street and Leonardo Road; nobody in the neighborhood, at least. But I am outside the neighborhood. I live somewhere else that I do not recollect.

And among all the others, at the crossroad seperating sameness in diversity from merely itself, there is one house that stands out. It is house 606, the small one made of wood. A sad little creature, surrounded by peers who want nothing more than to change it. Within the house, there is a wooden boundary betwen the dining area and a pair of staircases leading to the seperate rooms of the two occupants. The entire house is in the lower-left corner of a box formed by a chain fence. It is built near a long river that ends at its very foundation and hails all the way from the nearest ocean, which cannot be found for miles.

To the right of the house, in the lower-right corner of the fence, is a garden with four or five fountains and flowers growing all about them. A few are shaped like Buddha, a few like the typical Christian representation of an angel. No matter who or what they represent, they are all so very peaceful and calming, and when I visit the house, I like to sit near them and meditate. Praying to God and Jesus. Praying to Allah. Praying to Ganisha, perhaps, or having an intimate conversation with Buddha. Hell if I know. I just sit there and pray. I don't know to who, and I don't care. All I know is that someone hears me out there, even if it's just the laws of physics themselves. Perhaps even Xenu. The garden is encased in chain-link gates.

Behind both the house and the garden is the ending position of the river. It is a very deep and long river, and its gap separates the back door of the house from the gate to the garden. The fence is extended here to make room for many an oak tree, and plenty of plants. There is a rope hanging from a strong branch of one such oak tree. It is very fun to swing on. It rocks back and forth from one end of the river to the other, passively awaiting some adventurous child willing to leap upon it.

And within this house lives a girl I never remembered I knew until I went to bed the night before, at which point my dream had begun. I was asleep in my dream, dreaming in my dream about her.

As the meta-dreaming began, I looked around and realized how familiar my location was. I was in a driveway, but something about it seemed warmer than a driveway should feel. It was almost as if there was someone with me, holding my hand and whispering to me. As I looked outwards, I could see nothing. But then I turned around, and I saw a number I recognized for some strange reason on the rusty old mailbox.

A glowing warmth filled me, accompanied by a truly ice-cold sense of horror. It was a truly strange sensation; it felt like turning around and finding out you were about to be sat on by an incredibly large and very kind bear. Ignoring the fear, I entered the house; the warmth gave me eagerness. The kind of eagerness you just couldn't ignore.

I went out into the garden and looked around. Such beautiful flowers I had never seen in my life. They were only of the white variety, nothing too eccentric, but they struck a chord in my soul that nearly shattered it with its gentle touch, like a soft, wet raindrop falling onto flimsy metal.

Careful not to squish the fascinating beauties, I sat down before a fountain and stared. The place I was in was so foreign to me. So foreign, and yet so familiar.

The inside of the house looked as though it hadn't been painted for a century. Even so, it fascinated me. Something about the walls just looked exactly like history. My history. It seemed as if my history and the history of all the neighborhood were locked into the walls, waiting to be set free by some unexpecting passer-by. But waiting in a good way. Sort of.

And then I saw out the back door. I was down by the river at last. I had reached the place for which I had come. I was so relieved that it did not occur to me that I had not come on purpose at all; in fact, I didn't even know where I was. Nonetheless, something about the river just gave me some sort of immediate understanding that I was in a truly exceptional place.

After examining the grass, the flowers, and the oak trees, the next thing I saw was the rope. And the first thing I thought was that it looked perfect for swinging on.

And it was. I swung there happily for what seemed like hours. Or perhaps what seemed like something that I suspected would seem like hours if time did not fly. And suddenly, just at the peak of my fun, I noticed another voice laughing alongside mine. A feminine voice. I looked upwards and glimpsed the smiling face of a strange golden-haired child with eccentric blue eyes that I could almost see through like glass, and when I did, I saw a mind that I thought nobody could ever have seen before. Do you know why? Because the mind was questioning. It was enlightened. And it was warm. And I could tell that in its omniscience, it loved me, and perhaps everyone in the world. It loved us all as unique individuals.

"Hey, there!" she said as we swung. "What's your name?"

"Ben," I yelled over the wind of our motion, stunned by her sudden appearence. "You?"

"Well, Ben, I've got to admit I really think I know you," she said with a smile. "I'm a lot like you, you know. You must have seen it. I sure saw it in you." She just smiled and reached her free hand down for me to shake. It was rather impressive to me that she could hold on with one hand. "I don't have a name," she said. "Not anymore, at least, because I like to think that humans are too complex to be described by them. Pleased to meet you, nonetheless."

I stared at her and tried to reach up to shake her hand, but I wasn't dextrous enough, so I stopped trying so that I wouldn't fall into the river. "Well, uh, what do you want me to call you?" I asked her.

"Who I am, of course," she replied with a laugh.

This amused me. She seemed to know something more than I had come to expect from people.

"Come on, don't be afraid," she said. "Reach up and shake my hand. I'm not going to hurt you."

"I can't," I responded pessimistically, but slightly happily. It was hard to be too unhappy when you were swinging about like this from a rope over a river with someone so interesting. "I'd fall into the river."

"Not if you're sure enough that you won't," she said as her eyes began to sparkle in a truly inquisitve sort of way. "That can be attributed to anything, really. Here in reality, you make the rules. They say you don't, but they're wrong. For all we know, this could all be a dream, and for all we don't know, it could be anything else. But regardless of what it is, I've found I can always do something if I can truly convince myself that it's possible. Go on, try it."

After reassuring myself time after time that I wouldn't fall, I slowly reached my hand up to meet hers. Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and I woke up. And I remembered everything.

Almost everything.

When I woke up that morning, I immediately asked my mother to take me to 606 at the intersection between Elkwood Street and Leonardo Road. She seemed concerned, but she indulged me and obliged.

As we traveled by wheel, we passed many stone houses. But they were not the right houses; I knew that the house I was looking for was made of wood.

The house I was looking for was different.

When we finally arrived, I was stunned, and I didn't quite know why. The house was still wooden. The flowers were still white. There was still that column down the inside of the house separating the two sides. And there were still five or so fountains in the garden. But the whole place just looked so... derailed.

I got out of the car and went out to the garden. The flowers were just so unnerving to stare at. I looked over to the fountain that was once shown in the image of Jesus Christ. It was broken into pieces. I looked over to what should have been the location of the fountain that once showed the Buddha sitting inquisitively in a throne. In its place stood a lawn gnome.

A disgusting, green little lawn gnome.

Staring so smugly at me. That little bastard.

I went inside and looked around. The wood had been painted. Finally, the wood had been painted. How nice. But was it really? So many memories had been placed in the original unpainted wood. Had they all disappeared?

"Hey!" yelped a scrawny, sharp feminine voice that was vaguely familiar. I turned around and saw a relief beyond anything I could ever imagine.

"Who-ah you and whaddayadoin in-a mah houz?"

It was her.

"You're the girl without a name!" I said excitedly. "You're the one I was looking for, the really smart one."

"Whadafuk arya tawkin about, buddy?" she replied in a manner I did not expect of someone so inquisitive and enlightened.

"You know, the one I met on the rope! Outside over the river, when we were swinging. And you said you didn't have a name, and your eyes were all inquisitive and stuff, and you said you thought you knew me, and that you were just like me, and, and... Don't you get it? I'm Ben! Don't you remember me?" As I looked up at her, I stared up at her eyes and noticed something upsetting.

They were normal.

The sparkle of enlightenment was gone. This wasn't who I had met... anymore.

"Yeh, sure, uh-huh. Gyeeedoudahere, buddy. Thizzis mah house. Yew homelezz bumz need tah go somewheyre elz." And she turned around and left, just like that, like nothing had ever happened. And all I could do was just sit there.

Well, that had just about spoiled my day. I didn't really want to admit feeling sad. A real man never gives in to his feelings. Not that I was that much of a man, but really, I wasn't that weak. No, instead, I dealt with it. I went out to the backyard for a swing on the old rope over the river; maybe a good swing would cheer me up. Sort of hoping that the real person I'd met would come back to see me again, maybe. As I headed out the back door, I saw a truth I wasn't expecting. The rope was gone, and the river was dry. And all the grass was dead. And the oak trees, well, they'd just about lost their leaves.

That was when I cried.

Why? I don't know. Maybe it was the sight of all the dead things. Maybe the way the branches were facing this season.

I looked at the branch the rope had been in.

Maybe they were tears not for something that was not there, not for something that was. And perhaps that something, whatever it was, was more than just a rope.

As I crawled back to my mother's car, too agonized to walk, the heat of the sun began to beat down on my face, and the driveway began to grow maggots. The neighborhood containing Elkwood Street and Leonardo Road had killed its final house.

Now it was dead.

When I woke up, I was crying. And not just like I felt tears, either; I was like screaming. It was crazy.

RexCars
06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Too much BioShock?

Actually, this was happening way before BioShock. I think it has something to do with my great-grandparents' old house. When I was a kid, I always had to sleep on the old couch in the basement. This was one creepy, art deco basement.

Reniti
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Since summer started, usually when I dreamed, I would be in class/somewhere with students from some of my classes. I wasn't even friends with them.

Miyukara
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
The most common recurring dream I have is that I'm trapped in this mansion with a bunch of friends and the 'Queen' of whatever realm the mansion connects to is trying to reach us for whatever reason, I never get that far into to know what her intentions are, but I do know she seems to want us dead.
As far as recurring themes, everyone wants to kill me in all of my dreams.
They never actually succeed, but I always spend the whole dream running away from some form of person who wants to kill me.
And on average, it's always a person, not some kind of creature.

Gero50
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't much anymore, though when I was about 8 or so I would always have this one dream over and over again. I was running through a baseball field and there would be only one bush. Once I got close enough, it's like it would suck me in or something. I could not move an inch of body. Then I'd wake up like nothing was wrong.

Dead rose
06-17-2009, 12:33 AM
yeah many. i have recurring dreams about vampires or gothic castles. and killings too like somebody killed someone else but most of the time i am their target in my dreams ...yeah weird.

Takizawa
06-17-2009, 12:36 AM

anyone?
i get this sometimes ... it only happens when i wake up and then try to force myself back to sleep .. whenever i do though and start dreaming again I can actually control not only myself but my whole dream.