PDA

View Full Version : Rap

Prophet
12-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Any one on this board listen to rap??

If you do, is it juss me or does it seem like rap is goin down the drain fast as S***?? People arent puttin there minds to work no more. They are juss throwing together some BS and calling it a cd.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-17-2003, 09:29 AM
I'm one of the few people on this board who admits to listening to any Rap. Can't say as I'm a big fan though. Busta Rhymes and Eminem are the only rappers I like.

Yeah, well I agree rap sucks, but not all that much more. Maybe the whole "Gangster" thing is wearing out.

Daenerys
12-18-2003, 10:21 PM
I don't really like most rap, it's too.. I kinda wanna say vulgar, but no. It's too sexual, and disturbing, and talking about drugs, blunts, and hoes.

Not my kinda thing. Eminem is funny as hell though, I admit to owning his first two albums.

/Aifa|
12-21-2003, 04:29 PM
I listen to rap all the time. I especially like the whole Shady/Aftermath thing. Meaning i listen to artists like Eminem, Dre, 50, D12 and Obie. Oh, and 2Pac as well. I bought the Tupac Ressurection lately and its a pretty cool cd so far with the first tracks ive listen to.

Cant wait for the next D12 album, their first one was funny, "Peer pressure S***!!".

I agree that all this gansta talk is starting to wear out, but i reckon as long as you got beef between rappers than its always gonna be around.

Ollie
12-21-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of it, although I will listen to it on occasion. Nappy Roots, Outkast, and especially Eminem are the ones I like. :)

OnSilentWings
12-28-2003, 11:38 PM
I listen to Rap there pal although I'm like alot of the people here when I say I don't like alot of it (mainly the new stuff). My personal favorite is the old-school Dre & Snoop although I gotta say recently I've been a closet Outkast fan

The One
12-29-2003, 08:26 PM
The only music I really listen to is rap and Japanese music. I don't think it can be concidered crap because they talk about murder, money, pimpin women and other things most people would say is crap. Some people are too concerned about what they actually say than just listening to it in general. I being one who is black and grew up on rap and anime both at the same time can find a way to like them both.

G-Unit and 50cent are cool but they arn't my favorites. I listen to D-Block, DMX other people from Ruff Ryders and Roc A Fella. Basicly any rapper out cept Chingy. I do like "Gangsta" rap. You have to be like, "Wow, did you hear what he just said! That boy is a straight up savage!" If you are going to listen to it you have to try to think about where they are coming from. When they talk about killing people they have a way to put the different pfrases together to make it their own and still get the point acrossed that they are mean and they will kill you. I know I might sound a little confusing because it might sound as if I am trying to say that what they are saying is right but when you are born and raised in that type of environmen you have no other choice but to go along with it. However, alot of these rappers actually have college degrees and were raised in the hood and have a dirty past. If you are going to listen to it I suggest the old svhool rappers like Run DMC, Cool Mo D and other rappers that might have had better messages in their songs. Sometimes I myself feel that rap is getting a little too crazy. When I was watchin Uncut on BET at 3 in the mornin, I say this Nelly video that was so crazy. It was called "Tip Drill." I won't describe any of it cuz I don't wanna get yelled at on my 2nd day here. Alot of them had plenty of opportunities to find a way out of the hood by actually going to school and getting a job instead of selling drugz on street corners and blastin cats over a little territory war. I still love it in spite of what they are depicting. Any questions on this subject, just ask me.

Ya neighbor badguy, The One.
aka "The Bonafide Child"
aka "Little Rocket Boy"

Eudial sama
12-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Rap /was/ good 30-40 years ago, when it was utilized by the revolting youth. Now; it's plain depressing. It's commerically exploited by the very people it was fighting against.

The One
12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Even if you don't care for the messages in the music, just listen to their flows. Jay-Z has a nice flow, Cam-ron has a nice flow, Fabolous has a nice flow, Nas has a nice flow, Kanye West has a nice one too. You don't even have to listen to gangsta rap. Listen to Nas. His music always has a good message in it. P Diddy and Loon have nice music. Forget about G-Unit and the others for a while. Listen to some of the ol skool like NWA and Public Enemy if ya want some better music. Sometimes the rap today can be taken to the limit but people still buy it. People still listen to it. Until it dies out9which won't happen for a while still) just find other forms a rap to listen to if you even like rap at all. I like all forms of rap. I like gangsta rap too but I don't always have to listen to it.

Dai
12-31-2003, 09:44 PM
heard Jay Z is retireing

Prophet
12-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Dont forget about Big Pun, he had some nice music. I like wu tang cause they have some nice vocab, wordplay, ect. I dont know what i like about Bone Thugs but i like'em :)

Prophet
12-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Yea Jay is retiring, i wonder who he's gonna give the company to.... Nas is supposily retiring after his next cd comes out....

The One
01-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Did you forget that Roc-A-Fella is co-owned by Damon Dash and Kareem "Biggs" Burke? They are most likely taking over full controll. Yo I was really listening to The Diplomats last night and they play some goos music. The do use ol skool music but Cam, Juelz, Freeky, and Jim can hook it up though. Just Blaze is nice with the music. Its the ROC.

Cloud X43
02-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I like rap, I like 50 cent, Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Nelly, Ludacris etc.

Prophet
02-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Is nelly considered rap??

Cloud X43
02-08-2004, 07:48 PM
well I know a lot of people don't like him, but I think he got some nice rhymes

Isamu Hajime
02-14-2004, 03:17 AM
the rap/r&b songs that i like are songs that get the message about reality across to people. (ie. Gangsta's Paradise). Although it's 10 years old, you can still listen to it and relate it to what is STILL happening today.

kalico
02-23-2004, 03:24 AM
I'm a rap listener and artist, if you want some less gangstery rap try:

Nas
Benzino
Scarface
Eminem
Ja Rule
Cadillac Tah

Nas is the absolute lyrical master of rap, no one is equal to him lyrically, period! Benzino's got some good songs, but not that excellent overall. Scarface doesn't talk all the bling stuff but he still has gangster beats and a nice feel to his music, for the person who mentioned Gangsta's Paradise, similar would be 'I never seen a man cry' by Scarface. I'm sure everyone here has heard Eminem, I don't like him but I respect him as a good artist and very good beat producer. Ja Rule at first sounds weird what with his voice, but has some very love (not sex, love) based rap and some with good emotion in it. Cadillac Tah is similar to Ja, and is bringing out an album soon.

gadgetgirl16
02-26-2004, 08:33 PM
ive used to listion to rap all the time......but i dident really get into it, they all talk to fast and the music is corny.......sometimes, but i do listion to Eminem, 50 cent, nelly, and christian rap sometimes (when i with other people, forcing me to listion to tha sh*t).....but i listion to all kinds of rock, heavy mental and J-pop (amercan pop sucks)......but rap.......u cant spell Crap with out Rap........so RAP is CRAP!!!!!!!!

Candy-chan
03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
rap is crap
i dont like rap

DizzyFan
03-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Prophet@Dec 12 2003, 08:50 PM

If you do, is it juss me or does it seem like rap is goin down the drain fast as S***?? People arent puttin there minds to work no more. They are juss throwing together some BS and calling it a cd.
Yo bruthah I b down wit da rizzle ya kno whut im sayin?

But seriously, rap sucks.

You can't spell "crap" without "rap".

Sweet_Angel
03-27-2004, 01:39 PM
I listen to Rap and hip hop sometimes.

Sutekihime
03-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Rap is a form of art and I like "some" rap, it just depends on whose singing it, how meaningful the lyrics attract it's listeners, and the concept. I'm more into R&B than Rap, but I like everything except a few country.

lady reme
03-31-2004, 10:16 AM
the greatest rapper of all time is tupac and i don't care if u don't agree i love him

Seyia
04-03-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't listen to rap because i can't hear what there saying and then the talk slang which is pretty dum to me and so me and my friends call it chinese
but if you guys like rap its okay with me and your tast of music

haruko
04-03-2004, 02:07 PM
the new rap is the stupidest music out there. i like the old stuff like Eazy E and brotha lynch and NWA because there the ebst

lady reme
04-08-2004, 07:56 AM
yeah me too i do like some oldies but some of the new "rap" is good . i belieave rap is changing into pop or hip hop more or less

Candy-chan
04-08-2004, 01:45 PM
rap is crap
period

Sweet_Angel
04-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I like rap and hip hop because i kinda grew up with it but there some of it i HATE.But is cool though.

Gjallarhorn
04-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Retards
Attempting
Poetry
but eminem is good, cant deny that

"50 cent has already been shot nine times....lets see what another does"-me

Purple Toupee
04-10-2004, 06:05 AM
gangster rap, G-funk what ever you want to call it is pants, its all the same, Gunz 'n' hoez.
I prefer Jurassic 5, company flow, cannibal ox, Aesop rock, MF Doom, Quasimoto, Dilated peoples, De la soul, the pharcyde, Aim, People under the stairs, A tribe called quest, Madvillain.

Prophet
04-15-2004, 08:57 PM
You dont listen to atmosphere or O.C?? A good site to listen to Underground music is Undergroundhiphop.com

Kunoichi
04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
I do listen to some rap. Mostly, though, Korean rap. HOT being the top of that list, it was a sad day when they split up. If anyone ever gets the chance, check out some of their music. Outside Castle is addicting.

retro
04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm a Enimen Fan I admit I have all his albums.
But I was talking to my girlfriend (friend who's is a girl :/ ), that the only reason she'd like's rap was because of a good chorus... It's true, it makes a rap tune good or bad! Forget what he/she raps its what the beat and the chorus say that 'I/SHE' thinks what makes a rap song.

On another note... thats my 50&#39; cent >_< .. dawg .... just stop talking Chris...

Purple Toupee
04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I&#39;ve only heard Atmosphere and El-p - homecoming, to be honest i only heard about him the other day, he seems lyricallycompetent though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by retro@Apr 16 2004, 12:17 PM
I&#39;m a Enimen Fan I admit I have all his albums.
But I was talking to my girlfriend (friend who&#39;s is a girl :/ ), that the only reason she&#39;d like&#39;s rap was because of a good chorus... It&#39;s true, it makes a rap tune good or bad&#33; Forget what he/she raps its what the beat and the chorus say that &#39;I/SHE&#39; thinks what makes a rap song.

On another note... thats my 50&#39; cent >_< .. dawg .... just stop talking Chris...
It&#39;s my opinion that It&#39;s only rap If you&#39;d like the song near as much without the chorus or the beat. For Example, near everthing on The Marshall Mathers LP is Rap, with the notible exception of "The Real Slim Shady." If the chorus or beat is integral to your liking the song, its Hip-hop IMHO.

retro
04-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Guess your right then hattan. We don&#39;t get alot of rNb or HipHop over here in the UK, except through the MTV Base channel. Guess I can&#39;t tell between rNb, Hip Hop & and now B_wop(?&#33;?)(Eamon). Anyway it all just sounds the same, how much can you rap about bitches/drink & money&#33;

Hajime Kenshin
04-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Rap really badly sucks its nearly as bad as pop music, ALL rap should be S**T on, BURNT AND S**T on again.

Eris
04-25-2004, 04:28 PM
You are missing out the point, rap such as Eminem, tupac and 50 cent ARE pop. Pop is music taken out of a subculture and censored, brushed up (degenerated) for a wide audience and then released on MTV.

This happens with every genre, and the pop-versions have very little or nothing in common with the actual music genre.
Some examples in other genres include: Evanescence (pop gothic metal), The cure (pop goth), Good charlotte (pop punk), Metallica (pop metal).
Compared to music in the actual genres: 9inch nails (gothic metal), Fields Of The Nephilim (goth), Oi Polloi (punk), Dimmu Borgir (metal)

Hajime Kenshin
05-19-2004, 01:59 PM
YOU CAN&#39;T SPELL CRAP WITHOUT RAP

SaceGolem2
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Yeah I listen to Rap as well. What alot of people don&#39;t seem to comprehend is that there is more than one aspect to the whole genre. Everyone focuses on the Gangster rap and pile it all together. If you think that is all rap, thats just like saying death metal and heavy metal is the same. I listen to alot of artists from 50 cent to Jurassic 5, Del the funkee homosapien, to Jay-Z, Eminem, Aesop Rock, Dmx, The Lox, And the list goes on. If you find the right type, im sure that there would be something less vulgar and to your tastes, that is if you were to give it a chance. just like rock music.

Also I hope some of you realize how unintelligent it is to bash a certain type of music beacause you don&#39;t like it or dislike one aspect of it.

Lastly, this doesn&#39;t hold true for all cases of course (Seeing that I like both anime and Rap) but generally I can say for the most part You like anime = You hate rap

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PikuNe@Apr 25 2004, 03:28 PM
This happens with every genre, and the pop-versions have very little or nothing in common with the actual music genre.
Some examples in other genres include: Evanescence (pop gothic metal), The cure (pop goth), Good charlotte (pop punk), Metallica (pop metal).
Compared to music in the actual genres: 9inch nails (gothic metal),&nbsp; Fields Of The Nephilim (goth), Oi Polloi (punk), Dimmu Borgir (metal)
Nine Inch Nails aren’t isn&#39;t Goth metal at all. They&#39;re Industrial Metal, and they exist as proof that record-sales and credibility are not mutually exclusive.

april110
06-01-2004, 08:32 PM
im not sure how rap is doing in other countries but in new york, rap is very popular, my fave rapper is eminem.

Human_Instrumentality
06-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I agree with Candy. Rap IS crap. Period.
*caves in* okay, Outkast are okay but all the rest is rubbish.
especially Eminem. Whiny little (unementionable).

gadgetgirl16
06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
rap and pop suck.....it gives music a bad name.....

Himura Enishi
06-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Gotta say I&#39;m a big fan of rap:

Nas
Jay-z
Twista
DMX
Ludacris
Etc.

Oh yeah, Jay-z may not be retiring just yet, he&#39;s coming out with yet another alnum ( i forget the name) which is a shame, since the Black Album was such a good way to go out for him

Ashizu~
06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Wow.. I can see that people have alot to say about rap...except the peopel who don&#39;t like it....

Well honestly I am a big fan of all types of rap,hiphop,rnb,and Underground
I grew up in the type of inviorment. And I still do...half of my family is into that whole Hustle, Gansta thing. I can understand where rappers are comin from because I really do know how it is...my cousin always says "It&#39;s hard not to do the crime when you tryin to make a dime" It is really hard for people who live in the "Projects" or "Ghetto". Once your in...theres really no turning back.

My all time fav rapper is 2Pac..He just has away with words that really means somthing...(even tho some of his songs are really not neccesary)

I mostly love old school rap like from the early 90&#39;s..like:

2Pac
Snoop Dogg
Dr.Dre
Paper boy
Notorios B.I.G
Eazy-E
Bone Thugz
etc.

Side note: Some people say that the Beastie Boys kinda set the scene for all rap and Atl rock...hmmm

ecchi_maker
06-20-2004, 04:54 AM
OMG&#33; Your ppl don&#39;t know how much of a deep hatred i have for rap&#33; I wrote an e-mail once telling that rapper i was going to kill him at his next concert cause i don&#39;t like him and he prosphoned (how ever the hell u spell that word) his concert. How funny was that LMFAO.

Black_Leo
06-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ecchi_maker@Jun 20 2004, 04:54 AM
OMG&#33; Your ppl don&#39;t know how much of a deep hatred i have for rap&#33; I wrote an e-mail once telling that rapper i was going to kill him at his next concert cause i don&#39;t like him and he prosphoned (how ever the hell u spell that word) his concert. How funny was that LMFAO.
awesome, too bad you cant do that to them all.........
anyway, my view on rap...........I cant stand it, its really overplayed way too much. Plus all they ever sing about has already been sung about years ago. I thought rap was all about rebellion, a lot like rock. Then the 1990&#39;s hit and that crap was all over TV. Because of the fact that most rap topics are almost exactly the same, this genre of music wont last forever.

Himura Enishi
06-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Because of the fact that most rap topics are almost exactly the same, this genre of music wont last forever.

Yeah, and all the other genres all have completely different themes to each of their songs........Genres like rock, ska, and the others will go long before rap does...

In topic, anyone else have Twista&#39;s album, that man can rap&#33;

KJ Killa
06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Prophet@Dec 12 2003, 10:50 PM

Rap is the best...

dulx
06-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by KJ Killa+Jun 22 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KJ Killa @ Jun 22 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Prophet@Dec 12 2003, 10:50 PM

Rap is the best... [/b][/quote]
i like rap music to ;) and rock also..

fluffyanimegirl
06-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah it&#39;s way to sexual and stuff. I mostly listen to R+B and HipHop.

KJ Killa
06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
rap and rock....just dont let any diahart rappers or rockers kno cuz theyll have an uprage bout it

ecchi_maker
06-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Rap and Rock do NOT go together and don&#39;t call us rockers cause we don&#39;t play with rocks damit.

Black_Leo
06-26-2004, 01:54 PM
yea, call us headbangers damnit&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
By the way, rock doesnt have one category because there are too many damn genres and sub-categories of them.

aZnSexy805
06-26-2004, 03:23 PM
i listen to rap and dj :) , but how can rap turn to crap :huh:

dulx
06-26-2004, 03:43 PM
i like rap to mutch. :^_^:

and all remixes are very good.. B)

ONE-T THE MAGICKEY.. :^_^:

Prophet
06-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Rap doesnt have one category either, just stop listening to the radio artist and you will find diff categories

shi_amai
06-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Rap is really annoying. I go for rock, and adult alternative (some adult alternative. Mostly just alternative). There&#39;s this channel on the radio where I live, and they say it&#39;s a rock station, but they only play rock around every 10 or more songs, the rest is rap. And then on friday it&#39;s pop, and on saturday it&#39;s techno (at night). It&#39;s annoying.

ecchi_maker
06-26-2004, 08:42 PM
For me rap is like dirt never pay attention when im walking over it. I mean cmon rappers sing to their cd in the back ground and those voices they have are just studio effects to enhance their voices. On the other hand rock has a band that plays their own music and don&#39;t pretend to sing infont of thier fans&#33;

Prophet
07-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Do you consider a Beat Maker to be a instument?? i mean....It does make music, and you need skill to use it

Himura Enishi
07-05-2004, 10:36 AM
don&#39;t pretend to sing infont of thier fans&#33;

You&#39;ve obviously never been to a rap concert and its even more obvious you have no idea what you&#39;re talking about

Bubblegum Pop
07-15-2004, 06:41 PM
oh i love rap&#33;&#33;&#33; jay-z, p diddy, missy eliott, ludacris, lil john, snoop dogg, eminiem, 50 cent, outkast, lil&#39; kim, ja-rule, etc. i love em all&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

XxgangstaxX
07-17-2004, 01:46 PM
I love rap i hear it alot in my house in spanish and in english.

The only music I hate is rock and country.

Bubblegum Pop
07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by XxgangstaxX@Jul 17 2004, 01:46 PM
I love rap i hear it alot in my house in spanish and in english.

The only music I hate is rock and country.
yeah i agree spanish rap is kool

En Svensk Tiger
08-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Most rap music today has turned into pop-music (my definition of pop music is music that serves no purpose but to entertain, it requires no deeper meaning, it is not supposed to make people think, pure entertainment)

For example, I consider Eminem, 50-cent, and most of the other mainstream rap artist as of today as pop-stars...Don&#39;t get me wrong, Eminems first album was great, pretty reflected and all that, he had a story to tell...but the later albums...can someone say "cash money"?

I like rap music, but not the pop radio mtv junk that is flooding the market today..

Let me quote one of my favorite rap artists;

"Turn off the television, and put the magazine away, look in the mirror, and tell me what you see"

-Talib Kweli

Zedekiah
08-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Rap these days ain&#39;t nothing but plain old main-stream poo-hop.
Sure, some were good in the very beginning of their career. But then, Woo-Bing, SELL OUT&#33; WOO-yah.
And now it&#39;s no more than some shitty image that every single easily affected MTV slut or man naughty person goes "whoa, sh*t&#33; This is some good sounds &#39;ere, man&#33;" (to make it sound even more rappish, please instert B**ch and M.F**ker randomly)
And to finish it ever so original.

Peace out, Noki.

Edit: Swear filter.

Prophet
08-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I like talib kweli alot

Blackwind, you know he comin with a new cd right?

En Svensk Tiger
08-14-2004, 05:19 AM
Now I know -.- when is that?

Prophet
08-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Its called " Beautiful Struggle", release date is Sep 21st

The Enigmatic Noir
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Rap is a decent genre, it isn&#39;t that bad. ...but &#39;know, I can&#39;t help but wonder if the people blatantly bashing the style of music saying that it&#39;s crap have Japanese Rap CDs / MP3s. "I can&#39;t STAND rap but I love me some Japanese rap&#33; YEAH&#33;" - Someone pullin&#39; the race card?

Tifa_Lockheart
09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
o_O Im a Rap fan. ^-^ o_o But..I only listen to Usher Houston Snoop Dogg and OutKast. :<_<: