PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Rpg's

Vash The Stampede16
12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Anyone here play Disgaea: Hour of Darkness? If not you're really missing out, I say that it's up there with Final Fantasy Tactics and FFTA.

Jimbo
12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
I was thinking about getting it a month ago. It was either that game or Soul Caliber 2. Being the kinda guy I am, I chose Soulcaliber because it was a for sure, kind of fun. I wasn't sure about HoD, because that was the first time I saw it, but looking at the back cover, it really reminded me of FFT which sparked my initial interest to buy it. Anyways, now that I've looked at over 5 reviews, and some opinions, I hear/read it's pretty good. It's a good game, but not a great game, but who cares, I think General Chaos for Sega Genesis was an AWESOME game, and some people disagreed with me, oh well. Just gonna sell some old games and get HoD for free, I'm poor right now -_-.

Oh and Advance Wars 2=TONS OF FUN

so is FFT:Advance, very good port from a 32-bit game into a handheld 16-biter(or more, not sure about the bits on the GBA).

Strategy RPG's are great, FFT opened the door for me. Before I played FFT I didn't even know what the heck a SRPG, yes very sad. Good thing my friend bought FFT and he was like "Dude this game is so weird I thought it'd be like FF7(Keep in mind that we were in 5th grade at the time so all we knew was Mario and Sonic rules, we just got our PS's). I asked if I could borrow it cuz he didn't like it, he said "The fighting is too complicating!"

So I tried my luck, at first it was hard because I didn't get the whole move around the map and waiting to get my butt handed to me. Then I got into it, like trapping the computer in a corner and gang banging him with 3 other chars, or figuring out the best way to deal the most dmg with my area effect spell.

In conclusion, Strat RPG's are fun! Never played one? Try your luck on FFT, great game to start your addiction to the genre!

/Aifa|
12-06-2003, 11:18 PM
FFT is the best rpg of all time in my opinion. Too bad they dont have it for PC. I might play Disgaea if i have spare time, and thats when i finish bloody neverwinter nights!! Dont get me wrong, NWN is a great game but ive already had enough of the game after tackling every side quest up to the 3rd chapter, now all i want is a conclusion to the story.

Ill play any anime style rpg, i still like 2d rpgs like Grandia and the snes rpgs.

I reckon rpgs are wicked for their story and tons of character and stat customisations, unlike fps games which keep getting lost in repetitive action. I got into rpgs through the turn-based FF rpgs.

Vash The Stampede16
12-07-2003, 09:31 AM
I definately agree that FFT and FFTA are great games, probably better than Disgaea but Disgaea isn't so serious like those other two, it has comedy, a funky, hard to figure out at first job system and a good plot, at least to where i am so far which is chapter 5 or 6. My friend also told me about FFT and after him telling me about it so much i finally decided to get and this was only 2 years ago so it was pretty cheap and i was instantly hooked by the job system, weapons and plot. Special abilities were really cool especially Hamedo, which has to be the best ability in that game. After finishing it i started playing again immediately because i heard about secret characters like Beowulf, Reis(?), Cloud, and some robot. Overall i liked FFT better than Disgaea or FFTA because FFTA has a worse job system, but some cool jobs, and Disgaea job system isn't as good either. But i recommend to anyone who is reading this and has not played a Strategy RPG, start out with FFT because it's really cheap and a great game, you just have to have patience.

Tyler Durden
12-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Well,my opinion is the same to yours that FFT is the best game i've ever played and seen.So you if you play this game,you are not wasting your time !!!

squall_leonhart
12-09-2003, 06:39 AM
man it sucks iv never played FFT but i got FFTA and it makes me want it more dam and they dont sell it any more tatics orge got me started in SRPGs

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-12-2003, 03:57 PM
The first SRPG I played was the obscure Conquest of Elysium II. An awesome game, with lots of depth.

Speaking of which, I must now shamelessly plug that games creators, Illwinter Game Design (http://www.illwinter.com), because they just released Dominions 2, which I will be playing the demo of momentarily.

Other good games no one has yet mentioned are: Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES), Ogre Battle (SNES), Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (PS2/PC), and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (PC). All games worth playing for long periods of time.

I'm hoping to get Disgaea, FFTA, Advance Wars 2, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII for X-mas. If I get them I'll barricade myself in my room and leave come springtime.

Prophet
12-12-2003, 08:42 PM
I would have to say star ocean 2. There are to many things to do in this game for it to actually get boring. If you havnt played this game i highly suggest you go cop that

Vash The Stampede16
12-19-2003, 07:11 PM
kessen was a good game, not really an rpg but a good strategy game, and im talking about the one where you're Ieyasu Tokugawa