PDA

View Full Version : World Of Warcraft Thoughts

Gero50
05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Well a little while ago I made an account for World of Warcraft and I only played it for a short while. Then I stoped just before the newest upgrade came out. I have a little more time on my hands now and I was wondering. Do any of you guys think I should buy a new card and play again or just forget it and do other things. I myself am kinda leaning closer to the second option but, I just wanted to ask anyway. wow world of warcraft rpg mmo role playing games gaming games

Medousa
05-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Well, considering I have wasted 3 years of my life in wow :ninja: I would suggest u look for something else that has a meaning or ending to play with.

In mmo u advance a character and get items -thats it- besides that u gain nothing from playing such a game tottaly waste of time :banghead:

Inactive Account 0061
05-12-2009, 10:06 AM
That is a lie -,-... You improve your language and you get social skills and friends...

XxPantherChickxX
05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
World of Warcraft, grrrrr...
I'm a little tired of hearing about it. I always read about it in forums. My bf talks about it all the time when I don't even ask, so I think you guys will understand if I'm a little bit annoyed with it. I'm okay with the fact that you can make friends and get better social skills, but it's also good to, y'know, GO OUTSIDE AND MEET NEW PEOPLE. I know I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I always meet my friends on the internet, but I also go out and meet new people. Besides, I like to know what people look like and what their voices sound like. *Cough*And--know--that--they--aren't--really--40-year-old--rapists*cough*

Gero50
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't blame you for being a little bugged by wow a lot of times while I was playing I felt the same way. Plus it was not a easy place to make friends at all for me. I guess I see what the guy above you said about social skills but, the only skills in that aria you learn is team work. At least that was the case with me.

Cantelope
05-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I feel like WoW isn't a game you can really enjoy unless you're a competitive person.

If you're looking to become really immersed in the game mechanics and you'd enjoy the process of becoming a really good player, WoW has very deep levels of gameplay for you to enjoy.

If you're looking for games to just casually enjoy, I strongly advise avoiding WoW, you'd get more enjoyment out of Single-player MMOs, minus the monthly fee. Warcraft has really rich lore, sure, but I find it very hard to enjoy the lore when you're so focused on what level you are and what gear and talent spec is the best, or how many games you need to win to break into Rival/Duelist/Gladiator range, etc. etc.

I'm pretty hardcore myself, I love it, but if you're not, well, I actually say you should avoid MMO's in general.

Sanosuke23
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Anyone that says WoW doesn't have a story or an "ending" is an idiot and accepts/redeems quests without reading anything. It's not a complete story in the conventional sense, but there are several threads of lore that, played to their completion, are pretty entertaining. The ending at the moment is beating Ulduar and ending the potential threat of an Old God. There's also the beginnings of a new storyline with the Argent Tournament, and the next patch is going to expand on that. If you can't read, WoW does not want you.

Waaaahhh, I need to go back and level up/improve my gear/etc. etc. etc. IF YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT GRINDING, GO PLAY HALO OR SOME OTHER GAME THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO IMPROVE YOUR CHARACTER. THERE ARE VERY FEW RPGS OUT THERE THAT DON'T EVER REQUIRE YOU TO GRIND. NO RPG WANTS YOU.

As for Cantelope, while it's true by the end of the game a lot of it is getting this epic or setting your talents this way, the same is true of pretty much every other game ever when it comes to the endgame. You don't have to be pretty competitive, the fact that I can effectively heal Ulduar(not all of it mind you, but this is more due to gear than lack of skill) and I'm pretty casual is proof of this, but knowledge of how the game works seems like a small asking price.

"But Sano," the rest of you are probably asking, "You mean I have to know how to effectively play the game in order to effectively play the game?" I know, it's so much harder than casting Fire3 and Omnislash, but for those of you that aren't legally classified as mentally handicapped it's doable. If not, WoW does not want you, except maybe for butthurt members of the opposite faction to take their frustrations out on.

tl;dr: Gero, don't play WoW. You seem to lean toward the mentality of about 60% of the other posters in this thread, and as such would not enjoy it.

Daenerys
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
"You mean I have to know how to effectively play the game in order to effectively play the game?"

You act like the majority of people who do play can do this.

YOU SIR ARE WRONG!

Storm Strife
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
This isn't really a decision we can make for you. You have to decide if its worth going back into World of Warcraft, the experiences of other people should not have to affect yours.

Personally, though, I preferred EVE Online. And if anyone wants to complain about WoW's difficulty curve, try EVE. It'll eat you for breakfast.

Gero50
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
This isn't really a decision we can make for you. You have to decide if its worth going back into World of Warcraft, the experiences of other people should not have to affect yours.

Personally, though, I preferred EVE Online. And if anyone wants to complain about WoW's difficulty curve, try EVE. It'll eat you for breakfast.
I have heard of it but I didn't think it looked that much harder then WOW was.

Storm Strife
07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I have heard of it but I didn't think it looked that much harder then WOW was.

http://www.mmocrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/learningcurve.jpg

Erisa
07-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Never played wow
I watched a friend play it I was like "Oh cool Imma get that!"
But you have to like pay so I was like "Hell naw"
No wow for me!

Teddy2116
07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
OK I have a WoW account and I would like to say, yes you do become more sociable by playing WoW (well sorta). WoW is a sociable game needless to say. So if you want to play and chat with a few new people then go ahead. Tho I will say this, WoW is a very time and money comsuming game so I would strongly advise not playing it if you wish not to waste a good chunk of your life playing WoW. So all in all there are some good/bad things to playing this game. But for you I would suggest not playing it at this point in time.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I can't really give an honest opinion on WoW since I'm in the middle of one of my addictive MMO cycles. It's better then CoH or EQ, though.

If you complain about the difficulty of WoW, it's clear you haven't rolled a Paladin or DK*. [/thread]

*- Paladin is OP, but extremely boring IMO. DK is OP, but not as much as Paladin due to lack of bubbles. However, it is 1000x more fun.

sugoi-san
07-11-2009, 07:27 PM
FFXI ftw. I'm a hard-core RPer, so FFXI is made of win. That and the coded marriages rawk.

Kojack
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
OK I have a WoW account and I would like to say, yes you do become more sociable by playing WoW (well sorta). WoW is a sociable game needless to say. So if you want to play and chat with a few new people then go ahead.

Online game interaction is pseudo-social. Text only gives us one dimension of a social experience, and that is the words themselves. We cannot convey the tone, speed or sound of speech through text and there is no facial expression or body language going on. A large aspect of socialization is what is unspoken. If we want to socialize, we should do it how our species has been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years: face to face.

Storm Strife
07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
This reminds me, anyone here that can tell me if Ultima Online is any good?

Teddy2116
07-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I can't really give an honest opinion on WoW since I'm in the middle of one of my addictive MMO cycles. It's better then CoH or EQ, though.

If you complain about the difficulty of WoW, it's clear you haven't rolled a Paladin or DK*. [/thread]

*- Paladin is OP, but extremely boring IMO. DK is OP, but not as much as Paladin due to lack of bubbles. However, it is 1000x more fun.

I have played a Pally and yes they're smurfing OP. As for "scurb knights" they really do not take any skill to play. As the same goes for hunters. If you want a real OP skillful class go PvP warlock (undead warlock FTW)

-Batman-
07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I've stopped playing for the most part. I log on a night or two a week on average and raid with my guild, however I get bored with it too easily.
leveling an alt is just dry now, I despise northrend, and I hate ulduar. Not because Ulduar is difficult, but because it's boring.
Lich King kind of killed it for me.
And do you know why? I said "Let me take a week off from WoW"
And ya know what? I LIKED IT!
Getting into Champions beta didn't hurt either.
The only reason I still pop on is because I have friends there and i'm the mage officer for my guild.

Daken.
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Its kind of fun if you enjoy computer games like that, Ive had World of Warcraft for awhile the burning crusade one, and during the time I had it I was on it a lot. But eventually got rid of it, took up to much time.

Gero50
07-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Its kind of fun if you enjoy computer games like that, Ive had World of Warcraft for awhile the burning crusade one, and during the time I had it I was on it a lot. But eventually got rid of it, took up to much time. That is what I am afraid of it is sucking the time right down the drain. I have no real issues with it compared to that.

nenuma
07-14-2009, 06:57 PM
It ruins most of the users' life.
I dont like this game. Drives me nuts.

Gero50
07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
It ruins most of the users' life.
I dont like this game. Drives me nuts.
I would agree that is how I felt when playing it.

Mrpurple
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I am not a big fan of wow. A lot of my friends play it and i cant seem to bring my self to play it. I find the entire wow thing unintresting.

Chocobo
07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Ugh WoW. The abomination of freakin' MMORPGs. -__-

My boyfriend gives up going out into the town for fun because "his raid starts at 9". Hn. I just find it ridiculous that the time cards cost double of what the game(s) itself costs.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Ugh WoW. The abomination of freakin' MMORPGs. -__-

My boyfriend gives up going out into the town for fun because "his raid starts at 9". Hn. I just find it ridiculous that the time cards cost double of what the game(s) itself costs.

Either you are paying a much different price for the game then I am here in America or you've failed at math. The game, with no expansions, can be picked up for $20, and with expansions for $70 total (assuming you get the Orig/BC bundle and find Lich for $30, if you pay full Blizzard Store price it's $90). Two Month WoW cards cost $30. Even if you mean just the original game it's going to cost 66% of what two months cost, not half, and you get a month free.

Mrpurple
07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
[quote=Teddy2116;2295241]OK I have a WoW account and I would like to say, yes you do become more sociable by playing WoW (well sorta). quote]

Well when you say being more social are you meaing more social in game or in RL. my favorite MMO would have to be Mobinogi I have been playing it for a long time. I love makeing my own music and playing it in the game its really fun. :)

Chocobo
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Either you are paying a much different price for the game then I am here in America or you've failed at math. The game, with no expansions, can be picked up for $20, and with expansions for $70 total (assuming you get the Orig/BC bundle and find Lich for $30, if you pay full Blizzard Store price it's $90). Two Month WoW cards cost $30. Even if you mean just the original game it's going to cost 66% of what two months cost, not half, and you get a month free.

I'm talking about just a single game.

My apologies, now. It seems the prices on the games HAVE gone up, since I last checked. It just seems overpriced to me that you have to pay $30 just for two months.

You don't get a month free, unless my last two timecards were flawed. Instead of three months, which I could find reasonable for $30, I got two.

You get a month free after you add an expansion, most likely.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm talking about just a single game.

My apologies, now. It seems the prices on the games HAVE gone up, since I last checked. It just seems overpriced to me that you have to pay $30 just for two months.15/mo is pretty standard for Pay MMOs. There are some that are less, but not many.

You don't get a month free, unless my last two timecards were flawed. Instead of three months, which I could find reasonable for $30, I got two.

You get a month free after you add an expansion, most likely.

You get a month free with the original game.

Forgotten Show
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
1) I will not pay for a game more than once.

2) World of Warcraft looks like a retarded cross between anime and the Muppet show.

3) Like Chocobo alluded to, raiding is like a part time job for a startling number of World of Warcraft players.

Bad Memory

Mrpurple
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Well wow is an expensive game were you spend your money to work hard. In RL you can work hard and earn money. what I am saying is that I dont want to spend money on something that requires me to work hard I dont think thats very fun. I play an MMO like Mabinogi manly because the people who play that are more fun to talk to. I have seen alot of people who play WoW and i dont very much like them -.-'

Ryuuzaki HD
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
You must be playing a different game than me if you think WoW is hard work.

Mrpurple
07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
You got to grind in levels playing non stop so boring -.-

Gero50
07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Well wow is an expensive game were you spend your money to work hard. In RL you can work hard and earn money. what I am saying is that I dont want to spend money on something that requires me to work hard I dont think thats very fun. I play an MMO like Mabinogi manly because the people who play that are more fun to talk to. I have seen alot of people who play WoW and i dont very much like them -.-'
I agree it sometimes feels like no matter how much work you put int it, it always has even more to do and harder tasks for the user. Though this is the very nature of a video game in this case it is just plain to much. At least for me anyway.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
You must be playing a different game than me if you think WoW is hard work.

Seriously. Grinding quests is child's play, although it can get mildly boring until you make it to Outland. PVP is roughly as hard as playing a FPS, unless you're doing it with a Ranged DPS class that isn't a Hunter. I dunno about Raids as no one bothers to do anything more then 5 man instances until you get to the level cap and my highest character is 72.

Mrpurple
07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Seriously. Grinding quests is child's play, although it can get mildly boring until you make it to Outland. PVP is roughly as hard as playing a FPS, unless you're doing it with a Ranged DPS class that isn't a Hunter. I dunno about Raids as no one bothers to do anything more then 5 man instances until you get to the level cap and my highest character is 72.
heh when I ment hard work I was saying siting on your arse and doing the samething over and over and over and over over and over over and over again...

Sanosuke23
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
1) I will not pay for a game more than once.

2) World of Warcraft looks like a retarded cross between anime and the Muppet show.

3) Like Chocobo alluded to, raiding is like a part time job for a startling number of World of Warcraft players.

Bad Memory

1) You're not. You're paying for server stability and nearly perpetual moderation. The monthly fee is, in my opinion, worth it given the number of hackers I've seen on free MMOs.

2) That's just, like, your opinion man. Seriously, I think it's better than the hundreds of Korean games that all look like a cross between anime and generic.

3) So how someone else plays the game has a bearing on your enjoyment how? Onoes, that dood plays for ten billion hours and has better gear than me. Whatever shall I do? Oh I know, PLAY THE GAME AS MUCH AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE. Geez...

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
heh when I ment hard work I was saying siting on your arse and doing the samething over and over and over and over over and over over and over again...

If you're doing the same thing over an over, you're doing it wrong. In the last hour of questing in Dragonblight I've rustled horses from extremist humans, killed forsaken prisoners for sucking, stolen tears from dragons, manned a catapult and slaughtered Scourge soldiers, and then jumped off and took their bombs for a future sabotage mission.

Forgotten Show
07-16-2009, 09:40 PM
1) You're not. You're paying for server stability and nearly perpetual moderation. The monthly fee is, in my opinion, worth it given the number of hackers I've seen on free MMOs.

2) That's just, like, your opinion man. Seriously, I think it's better than the hundreds of Korean games that all look like a cross between anime and generic.

3) So how someone else plays the game has a bearing on your enjoyment how? Onoes, that dood plays for ten billion hours and has better gear than me. Whatever shall I do? Oh I know, PLAY THE GAME AS MUCH AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE. Geez...

1) Yes, you are. I enjoy the couple online games that I play and have paid only once for, and they enjoy all of the server stability and perpetual moderation I could want. Perhaps you've had this problem in the past with games you've played, but by and large I have not.

2) Like, seriously, yeah, it's my opinion man. The graphics are not as good as are present in other games, which is a fact, but that aside this opinion concerning the games aesthetics is a valid thought to be included in a topic asking about our thoughts on the game.

3) Sure. Other people I'm very good friends with are, as Chocobo describes with her boyfriend, growing pretty dedicated towards scheduled raids and the like. All but a couple people I've spoken with about the game have indicated that for these guilds and raids there's an amount of obligation. I want no part of a game where this sensation exists.

Would you have been happier if I included a "your mileage may vary" tag at the end?

Bad Memory

Mrpurple
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
If you're doing the same thing over an over, you're doing it wrong. In the last hour of questing in Dragonblight I've rustled horses from extremist humans, killed forsaken prisoners for sucking, stolen tears from dragons, manned a catapult and slaughtered Scourge soldiers, and then jumped off and took their bombs for a future sabotage mission.
in the end its stil the same thing. Oh I gotta level up my character. I gots to get that xps. gotta kills these things. your just sugar coating it -.-

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
in the end its stil the same thing. Oh I gotta level up my character. I gots to get that xps. gotta kills these things. your just sugar coating it -.-

Not really, you approach all of those quests differently, assuming one has even a hint of intelligence and doesn't want to take forever doing them. The different approaches equal variety. If you have a problem with grinding in any way shape or form, then you should really stick to playing Bookworm or something because the entire MMO genre is anathema to you.

Mrpurple
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey if i was still in america I could walk down my road and experice some thing diffrent why would i want to pay for that?

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Hey if i was still in america I could walk down my road and experice some thing diffrent why would i want to pay for that?

I don't know... maybe because you like playing MMOs? If you don't like MMOs in general to begin with, your opinion on a specific one is largely moot.

The Nightingale
07-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I can say it's fun yuh, but its also very boring after awhile. It'll be fun for like the first month or so then your gonna be like.....

I'v played for about 4 years now~ and am extremely bored. If you want to waste your money and level up, its fine, but there are some decent free games out there that you can do more or less the same thing :]

ai_frostbite
08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
i play often..hmm..very often..and its still exciting..some people believe that it wastes time...but playing with others all the time...is more fun and exciting then a game with an ending..so..i think you should start playing ^^ know your limits and dont spend your whole life on the game..xDDD

Gero50
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
i play often..hmm..very often..and its still exciting..some people believe that it wastes time...but playing with others all the time...is more fun and exciting then a game with an ending..so..i think you should start playing ^^ know your limits and dont spend your whole life on the game..xDDD

Well I keep thinking I want to play again it's just I keep worring I'll start at like 2:00pm and won't stop until like 4-5 in the morning.

Teddy2116
08-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Well I keep thinking I want to play again it's just I keep worring I'll start at like 2:00pm and won't stop until like 4-5 in the morning.

Well now you can put a timer on how long you play I believe. I know for sure they put in an alarm clock like thingy in the game, tho that was back in Dec when I last played so I don't know if its still around

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Well now you can put a timer on how long you play I believe. I know for sure they put in an alarm clock like thingy in the game, tho that was back in Dec when I last played so I don't know if its still around

Yeah, it's still around. Mine's set to something crazy like 3:30a, but I almost never am on that late.

Teddy2116
08-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah, it's still around. Mine's set to something crazy like 3:30a, but I almost never am on that late.

Sweet I think that's a good thing blizz did. Tho i doubt it wasn't meant for letting people how long they're are playing the game. Anyways what new so far in the magical time portal they call World of Warcraft?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Sweet I think that's a good thing blizz did. Tho i doubt it wasn't meant for letting people how long they're are playing the game. Anyways what new so far in the magical time portal they call World of Warcraft?

3.2 makes mounts cheaper and available sooner, and there's more to do at the Argent Tournament including a new 5 man, and a 10/25 man raid.

Teddy2116
08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
3.2 makes mounts cheaper and available sooner, and there's more to do at the Argent Tournament including a new 5 man, and a 10/25 man raid.

So nothing much has changed, like the needed nurfing of classes in pvp (which is the main reason I play the game). Oh well I guess I'll wait another few more months and check back on it then

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-18-2009, 10:13 AM
So nothing much has changed, like the needed nurfing of classes in pvp (which is the main reason I play the game). Oh well I guess I'll wait another few more months and check back on it then

Well, they nerfed DKs a bit and Ret Pallys a smidge. They buffed Shamans though. BG PVP has been greatly improved, as now you get Exp for completeing objectives. There is a way to turn all exp gains off, but if you do you get stuck in twink-only BGs. Also, Wintergrasp auto adds you to a raid now.

If you want a complete break down of everything, there's always the Patch notes (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/).

Teddy2116
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah I think I'll still wait a couple more months before I start back up again

Kuga
09-23-2009, 11:48 PM
I love WoW, it is fun...BUT...

I suggest you avoid it. Trying it out was my mistake. It took up a lot of my time when I could have been doing better things like going out clubbing or spending quality time with my best friend. Wasted a year and half before I finally got bored and quit... even though I still play from time to time, but not as much anymore.

If you are the type to get hooked into things easily, don't play it.

TrisanaStar
09-27-2009, 07:14 PM
My personal opinion: I love the game. Yes it can be addicting at times but if you utilize options, such as the alarm timer thing, or maybe have friends call you up and say "hey, been 4 hrs, get off." or something someone could manage.

Maaayybe you could buy a time card and play it out and if at the end you found that you played to much then don't renew.