PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you guys like being called 'otaku'?

AF SUCKS
05-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here doesn't mind that tag, or if you do why does it bother you.

I was at karaoke last night and was singing a few songs in Japanese and picking some for the bartender to sing. This American girl sitting near me asked me how I knew Japanese.......then she asked me if I was "otaku or something". She was an American girl sitting with a few of her friends who were Chinese-American. I was kinda pissed about being called that so I turned my back and ignored her second question.

So if you like it.......say why.

If you don't.......say what it is that bothers you about it.

Seņor Nobody
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
It's just what I am. I don't like it or dislike it. Why should it bother me, so what if I like anime? I like what I like.

daft
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't bother me.. I'm just not a commited enough fan to be considered otaku, I think (manga, collectables, figurines, cosplaying, obsessive indulgement, ect... just isn't for me). I'm simply in it for the anime. ^^''

Gjallarhorn
05-03-2009, 02:39 PM
No, I don't like being called an "otaku". There's a huge difference in the way that Americans use it, and the way the Japanese use it.

Seta Souji
05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I haven't been called that yet, but I'm a pretty arrogant guy so when ppl insult me i never get offended, cuz im awesome. I WOULD get upset if ppl i'm very close with tell me i'm stupid or weird for liking a particular anime/manga/movie.

but back to the subject, I don't like or dislike being called that. I just don't care.

I was at karaoke last night and was singing a few songs in Japanese and picking some for the bartender to sing.Dude, thats a tight karaoke bar if your bartender sings with u. I've only gone to korean ones and they're very nonsocial.

AF SUCKS
05-03-2009, 03:01 PM
No, I don't like being called an "otaku". There's a huge difference in the way that Americans use it, and the way the Japanese use it.
Exactly.

And I've been called it as a joke by some Japanese friends over my little obsession with Hamasaki Ayumi. All in fun, but there's a darker meaning behind that word that I know seeths with a little hatred.

The other post that mentions over indulgane and cosplay, yeah, if a Japanese person is going to call you one it's not a good thing.

But having this American girl say this to me really irked me. Still does sort of. Don't know why.

Dude, thats a tight karaoke bar if your bartender sings with u. I've only gone to korean ones and they're very nonsocial.
Me and Reina chan go back a while.

Miss Moonlight
05-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I could care less either way, because I don't really fit the term.

I think it would annoy me slightly when it's used in the wrong way (someone who simply likes japanese things isn't necessarily an "otaku"), but that's pretty much it.

Doom85
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't be offended. The "English" version of otaku doesn't necessarily imply a lack of social life and other negatives that the Japanese version generally assumes. Now, if someone was clearly trying to be insulting by using the Japanese version, that's another story, but me and my friends who are into anime refer to ourselves as otakus (and considering our anime DVD/manga/figure collections, we're definitely qualified), and we're not offended by it. It's just the anime/manga version of "geek" as far as we're concerned.

Legend of the Twilight
05-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't really care. I've never been called that before. I've been called nerd for liking anime before, but never otaku. I don't think I'd even really think about it if someone did though.

AF SUCKS
05-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't be offended. The "English" version of otaku doesn't necessarily imply a lack of social life.
The thing is it's a Japanese word, there is no "english meaning". That's an implied meaning.

Nazo_Otaku
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, I know there are different levels of otaku, so I don't really mind being otakubara. lol

SeraphimAriaRhapsody
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here doesn't mind that tag, or if you do why does it bother you.

I was at karaoke last night and was singing a few songs in Japanese and picking some for the bartender to sing. This American girl sitting near me asked me how I knew Japanese.......then she asked me if I was "otaku or something". She was an American girl sitting with a few of her friends who were Chinese-American. I was kinda pissed about being called that so I turned my back and ignored her second question.

So if you like it.......say why.

If you don't.......say what it is that bothers you about it.

I can't since I don't tend to show or talk about it with others in real life.

If anyone were to call me an otaku, I would just brush it off.

And what was the other question in relation with this offensive word Hibiki?

mstrmnd48
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
i have never been called an otaku. but i feel like one and don't mind if i'm called one.

kero_-_chan
05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
im a proud nerd........so how could i not be a proud otaku, ive got collectibles, tonnes of dvd box sets, posters, plushies and im 20...and male......i AM otaku, so why would i be offended by being called what i am.

i guess im different to OP but the question still applies, im proud of being a socially awkward anime/manga geek

Doom85
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
The thing is it's a Japanese word, there is no "english meaning". That's an implied meaning.

Nevertheless, that's what it is used at here in the US and probably other countries like the UK as well. Pissed is an English word, but it means two totally different things in the US (angry) and in the UK (drunk). Neither one is "more correct", but if you're in one of those respective countries, it's reasonable to say you should use its local "meaning".

Anime's definition is used "incorrectly" as well in America, but it's nothing to get upset about, heck the two anime fans I know who are Asian (one's Japanese, the other is Korean IIRC, I haven't seen her in a while) use "anime/otaku" in the manner used in the US. Unless the person genuinely meant to offend, I wouldn't be upset being asked if I am an otaku. The reason you should be upset is because the person seemed to be using the stereotype that knowing Japanese automatically makes you an otaku, that is something to be offended by. However one should not feel like "otaku" itself has to be a negative label. You might even offend those of us who do call themselves "otakus" with such an attitude (not me though, I'm very hard to offend, so we're cool).

Forgotten Show
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I've never heard of the word before. Guess that means I don't have much of an opinion about it.

Bad Memory

Wio
05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
But having this American girl say this to me really irked me. Still does sort of. Don't know why.
My first gut diagnosis is that you hate American girls. It's really easy to get annoyed by the thing you hate. Maybe you can figure it a better reason yourself.

Also, any word that America imports into their style of English is not subject to its original meaning. "Otaku" isn't any different. That's why you get words like "otakus", part of the "otaku" paradigm, which couldn't exist in Japanese in the first place. It's not a hole lot different for English words imported into the Japanese language either though.

Miss Moonlight
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
My first gut diagnosis is that you hate American girls. It's really easy to get annoyed by the thing you hate. Maybe you can figure it a better reason yourself.

Also, any word that America imports into their style of English is not subject to its original meaning. "Otaku" isn't any different. That's why you get words like "otakus", part of the "otaku" paradigm, which couldn't exist in Japanese in the first place. It's not a hole lot different for English words imported into the Japanese language either though.
You should really refrain from "diagnosing" people you don't know anything about.

Rem Nightfall
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't really know what Otaku is in the sense that the English spun what it means. If I knew the real term then I could see whether I would want to be labeled an otaku or not.

AzureDark
05-04-2009, 02:21 AM
I personally dislike being called one. I believe I'm a lot more decent than what the common definition usually says about the term (or at least what I know it means...) - and so do most of the people who are being called as such, by the way.

Of course, like all obscure terms different people use different definitions. Some may even think the term is a positive one so, I can't fault people for using it the way they do.

Baka Tenshi
05-04-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't think I have ever been called one though I constantly read manga at work and I talk about anime and manga all the time. I wear anime tshirts and such. It would not bug me. =3

Shinigami_55
05-04-2009, 03:48 AM
i dnt mind that people call me an otaku,because i really dont care what those people care, and here in europe,many people accept the term otaku like a way of life,like recieving a medal for it,
So it would not bored me!

Miku214
05-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I don't mind really, as long as it's in a casual and fun way. If it's said in a way that's supposed to be offensive, like nerd or geek then yes, but in America, otaku usually just means someone who likes anime.

AF SUCKS
05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
My first gut diagnosis is that you hate American girls. It's really easy to get annoyed by the thing you hate.
Are you a doctor?

I don't hate American girls, I was taken off guard becuase this is something I wouldn't expect one to say.

AF SUCKS
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
im a proud nerd........so how could i not be a proud otaku, ive got collectibles, tonnes of dvd box sets, posters, plushies and im 20...and male......i AM otaku, so why would i be offended by being called what i am.

i guess im different to OP but the question still applies, im proud of being a socially awkward anime/manga geek
See, my friend Naoko would think you were "kowai"............scary.

She used guys like you as her example of what an otaku is to her.

kero_-_chan
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
:O OFFENDED!!!!!!!

nah, i joke chris, i have a semi-normal social life outside of my nerdism but i just looooove anime and cute stuff, why would i have all these things if i didnt love them, think me strange okay, i dont mind, but im comfy with it, its like expecting a computer nerd to hide the fact he has a computer......does not compute!

AF SUCKS
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been jokingly called one by Japanese friends due to my knowledge and enjoyment of Hamasaki Ayumi music. They say it's "strange" that I even know who she is and use the term otaku to say I'm more informed than I should be.

Nao chan's definition came from a conversation we had one night after she encountered some American kids that kind of harassed her. She called them otaku but means it as "a-hole Americans" and it had nothing to do with anime or toys, but she embelished that someone that's collecting toys and spends too much time on the computer is how she sumed up who an otaku is to her. She doesn't understand why people would embrace a term she and other people she know use as a deliberate insult.

And that's exactly how I felt the other night when this girl said it to me. Maybe I took more offence to it because this is the definition I use for the word, much like people who use the word "baka' incorrectly. Say it in Tokyo you might get a dirty look, say it in Osaka and you're going to be hit.

Amray The II
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I never have been referred to as an Otaku. In reality I am known everywhere as an anime fan but the word is quite uknown here so I have never been noted as one myself. Liking anime, where I live, is the same thing as liking football or drama's. People will just say "You like Cricket, do you not?", or, "You like Anime, do you not?". 'tis not really anything special, it is just another one of those things that some people like. Most people do not know the word Otaku exists, so we would just say "Anime Fan".

Nevertheless: 'tis a word that does not bother me in the slightest way. If I were called an Otaku by someone then it is highly likely that I wouldn't care.

AutisticOtakuGirl
05-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I know that the term "otaku" differs a little in America than it does in it's Japanese origins. I hope I have this info right. In Japan the term "otaku" has more of a negative connotation. The word "otaku" would be considered more similar to the word "nerd". I think the word "otaku", through recent times in Japan has gained negative views because of certain individuals in the news referring to themselves as otaku. Just because someone refers to themself as a certain thing doesn't mean all are like they are. The negative views are because of individuals not because of a whole group of people. It's individuals that give certain groups a bad name just because they refer to themselves as one. Only thing is that the negative connotation of otaku is only really viewed that way in Japan, where it originated. But in America the term "otaku" is more similar to terms like "Trekkies" for Star Trek fans. In America otaku is basically a term meaning "a person who is a fan of anime, manga, and other related things such as video games and cosplay." So it really depends on where you come from. Words are often borrowed from other cultures and don't always keep their original meaning of origin.

Neddog
05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I don't care. You could even call me a NEET or a hikikomori and I wouldn't mind. I know I have my social difficulties.

AF SUCKS
05-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I know that the term "otaku" differs a little in America than it does in it's Japanese origins. I hope I have this info right. In Japan the term "otaku" has more of a negative connotation. The word "otaku" would be considered more similar to the word "nerd".
More similar to the word "a-hole".

Otaku came from the honorific referring to someone's home ( o-taku ). Later it came to mean as slang referring to someone as a "homebody", or person that never leaves their house. Now, according to a few of my Japanese friends its become a derogatory term directed at anime fans from America that take their obsession a little too far. One friend from Yamagata embellished her definition to include collecting anime toys, chatting on the computer and the cosplay. She HATES the American cosplayers, thinks they're completely stupid. I actually kind of agree with her on that. But low and behold I have NEVER informed any of these friends that I'm a member of anime oriented websites or own a small collection of dvds for fear that they would consider me creepy.

To them, my love for Hamasaki Ayumi and Koda Kumi is tolerable. Anime obsession is not.

SeraphimAriaRhapsody
05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
More similar to the word "a-hole".

Otaku came from the honorific referring to someone's home ( o-taku ). Later it came to mean as slang referring to someone as a "homebody", or person that never leaves their house. Now, according to a few of my Japanese friends its become a derogatory term directed at anime fans from America that take their obsession a little too far. One friend from Yamagata embellished her definition to include collecting anime toys, chatting on the computer and the cosplay. She HATES the American cosplayers, thinks they're completely stupid. I actually kind of agree with her on that. But low and behold I have NEVER informed any of these friends that I'm a member of anime oriented websites or own a small collection of dvds for fear that they would consider me creepy.

To them, my love for Hamasaki Ayumi and Koda Kumi is tolerable. Anime obsession is not.

I find them horrendous too.

I use to have an idiot super otaku in Japanese class who karate chop with Bruce Lee sounds after speaking about non-nonsensical history on karate.

The elitist are tremendous idiots with their ignorantly racist views/love on or for Japan for anime, manga, and video games.

They do not have an ounce of respect for your average person or normal anime and manga viewers.

AF SUCKS
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Super otaku.

XD

Do you have video on this guy?

SeraphimAriaRhapsody
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Super otaku.

XD

Do you have video on this guy?

Sadly, no.

It was a few years back when the phone internet pricing and camera phone were too expensive.

_-Anonymous-_
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Um from India ... and no one in my Area doesnt even know The 'O' of Otaku.

midori-no-ink
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
My friends here call me that jokingly, which is fine. I joke about my switching from Harajuku to Akihabara, it's no big deal. It's when people who don't know me try to apply the term that ruffles my feathers a bit.

But honestly? I have a bigger issue with "gaijin"!

AF SUCKS
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I have issues with the term "henna gaijin".

wowzabunny
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
That was kinda stereotyping. just because you can speak japanese doesnt mean you like anime or are a otaku. i am a otaku

AF SUCKS
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
And passing from an American girls lips it was a bit more annoying.

midori-no-ink
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
And passing from an American girls lips it was a bit more annoying.

But at the same time, you have to be amazed at how the word managed to integrate itself into the average American vocabulary (even if offensively).

That said, it's still aggravating. I'm sorry. Just so long as you know what you are, you'll be fine :)

By some stroke of a miracle I've been spared the "henna gaijin" remark. Even so, I'm not big on simply being shrugged off as an "outsider" just for existing within the country. "Gaikokujin"'s cool by me, "gaijin" just seems too contrived. It's all in finding those who are understanding, I suppose.

(In reality I don't make that big a deal of it, though I do watch my wording when referring to myself and others.)

OtakuInu!!!
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes!!!

because it means that you're an anime lover and kinda like know everything about anime!!!

thanks for making this thread!!!

Neddog
05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
lol, I was wondering when we'd see the otakudog in here. :) Isn't there a SuperOtakuGirl or something on this forum too? xD

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
But at the same time, you have to be amazed at how the word managed to integrate itself into the average American vocabulary (even if offensively).

That said, it's still aggravating. I'm sorry. Just so long as you know what you are, you'll be fine :)

By some stroke of a miracle I've been spared the "henna gaijin" remark. Even so, I'm not big on simply being shrugged off as an "outsider" just for existing within the country. "Gaikokujin"'s cool by me, "gaijin" just seems too contrived. It's all in finding those who are understanding, I suppose.

(In reality I don't make that big a deal of it, though I do watch my wording when referring to myself and others.)
See, I am henna gaijin to them.

I learned Japanese in an unusual way, I listen and love Hamasaki Ayumi and I can pretty much start up a conversation with anyone. Far from being the shy and introverted Nihonjin most of them are.

I'm called otaku by them as a joke for these reasons. Even thought I still don't like hearing it becuase of Naoko's definition.

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes!!!

because it means that you're an anime lover and kinda like know everything about anime!!!

thanks for making this thread!!!

Doo itashimashite. Demo, otaku ga chotto dame desu ne.

Deshou?

.Tatty.
05-13-2009, 09:39 AM
cant say being labled an "otaku" bothers me at all

whats the major problem with it? =/

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
We're looking at two completely different definitions of the word.

One is embraced by fans, the other scorns them.

I'm going by the Japanese context of the word.......and it's not good.

Anime Forum
05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes I like being called an Otaku and proud of it =]

No one really calls me an Otaku in real life terms though, only rarely because most people in my school do not know what Otaku means or what it relates too.

.Tatty.
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
i am referring to the Japanese definition

it doesnt really bother me =/

like water of a ducks back

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
So you don't mind being called an a-hole.

That's good.

.Tatty.
05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
no not really XD

thats a very loose translation but hey

call me what you like, if you dont know me then i dont care TBH

thats how i feel with anyone

(and i know your not insulting me <3 xD)

midori-no-ink
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Doo itashimashite. Demo, otaku ga chotto dame desu ne.

Deshou?

Sou da wa. Demo ne, chotto ochitsuitara dou deshou? Kare wa itsuka wakattekuru to omou wa :)

Sorry you have to put up with both "henna gaijin" and "otaku" remarks. I wish I knew what it was I was doing to avoid both labels despite being quite the oddball and a bit geeky...maybe they're just scared to say it to my face because they think the intimidating American girl's going to eat them or something :)

In the end, you just have to pick your battles. If your friends calling you "otaku" in jest bugs you, tell them or it'll just continue. No one can or will understand what kind of person you are just from one encounter - I mean, even I'm working from guesswork here - so while it hurts sometimes to just grin and bear it, sometimes that's just what you have to do in the face of being stuck in passing with a not-so-savory label.

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Nihonjin are funny like that.

They LOVE to gossip and talk about other people, but in their presence they say nothing. Kinda two faced in some ways.

The people that say it to me have been my friends for years, and they do mean it only as a joke. It's the total strangers that utter these phrases that irritate me. I don't know if you read the OP, but this was directed at me as some sort of insult out of an American girl in response to seeing me sing in Japanese.

But I do it back, sort of. I was out with a group at the same karakoe bar last Friday and there were three American women that were amazed I was singing an enka song........but we were ripping their inability to sing rather openly in Japanese. The bartenders and some of the other Japanese speaking customers heard us but no one told these women what we were saying.

midori-no-ink
05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, they really are. What a fascinating society.

Hmm, of course, the only non-Japanese people who ever sing in Japanese are otaku, because all Japanese songs are from anime. Right? Of course. Please. :rolleyes:

I must agree with you, though. Doing it back to them can be pretty darn entertaining...you just have to be sure you don't get nasty. If you do, how does that make you any better than they are?

AF SUCKS
05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Enka is from anime?

Never nasty, just a couple of laughs from the girls. And it's not always me, sometimes it's the shochu talking.

I got a pic from that night too, but I look way too drunk in it.

midori-no-ink
05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh no, enka's about as far from anime music as you can get, if you ask me! It's definitely an acquired taste.

I was simply being facetious in my last reply with that "all Japanese music = anisong" statement :)

OtakuInu!!!
05-17-2009, 11:10 PM
lol, I was wondering when we'd see the otakudog in here. :) Isn't there a SuperOtakuGirl or something on this forum too? xD

Yeah there is and there's also AutisticOtakuGirl but I don't know her!!!

SJ King
05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Never heard anyone use that term. I don't really hang out with other people that like anime though. If someone is using it as a friendly term, then who cares? if they are using it in a negative way, than screw them. Just like every other word.

KeijiMaeda
05-18-2009, 05:45 AM
I believe many people in western countries use the term "otaku" believing it to be a title for those who are wise hermit types who choose to shut themselves inside in order to better themselves.

But many have told me the word "otaku" in Japan is a highly negative thing and it's pretty much an insult directed toward those who are complete shut-ins and are obsessed over what society would consider to be trivial things, such as anime and manga.

Myself, no one has ever called me it, because I'm not one. My only interest in Japanese culture is the anime and videogames, and I don't obsess over either of them.

AF SUCKS
05-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Yesterday I went to Kinokunoriya, a Japanese bookstore here in Manhattan. New location, three floors and I had never seen it so I was strolling around and there was this commotion going on upstairs. I go and see a couple of American kids cosplaying around some sort of meeting and they're discussing anime and movies and the legitimate Japanese customers go up and look, then sort of comment as to how unusual it is to see that.

And for once I can truly see how stupid it is and the reaction is justified.

Aizen-sama
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
i didnt know it was a difference in meaning in america could u please explain wat u mean ...but from the one i know i wouldnt mind being called it people talk bout me from the first sit of me so wouldnt bother me i lik wat i like and thats all there is to it

Dark-Sasuke
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
i think anyone that knew the word "otaku" in my area probably is one, so i guess otaku is basically meaningless round here :D

AF SUCKS
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
The original word "o taku" was a reference to someone else's home. Like if you think someones house is nice you'd say 'o taku ga kiree desu ne' and so on. The slang meaning became a homebody, or a shut in. This was generally directed at other Japanese that fit the bill, but the secondary slang became American anime fans who were perceived as shut ins as well. Now it appears as though the word is now strictly an insult lobbed at American anime fans or other people who are obsessed with obscure parts of Japanese culture.

Americans seem to embrace it, and I chalk that up to a severe misunderstanding of the Japanese language and it's nuances.

Neddog
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I go and see a couple of American kids cosplaying around some sort of meeting and they're discussing anime and movies and the legitimate Japanese customers go up and look, then sort of comment as to how unusual it is to see that.

And for once I can truly see how stupid it is and the reaction is justified.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the justification. These Americans aren't legitimate customers of a Japanese bookstore because they're not Japanese? Wow... What a racist remark.

AF SUCKS
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry, I don't see how you can say that's racist.

Either you didn't understand the post or didn't read it.

I'm guessing you didn't read it.

Neddog
05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
That's fine if you think that. I've seen this thread full of racist comments from you, either from yourself or by condoning the comments of your Japanese friends, claiming that Americans have no right to enjoy Japanese culture because they're not Japanese, and that an American can be rightly labeled an "otaku" for enjoying the same things a Japanese person does, but the Japanese person can have the same interests, "legitimately" as you put it, without being weird. I'm just trying to help you by letting you know what I see, but if you choose to ignore the advice that's your choice.

AF SUCKS
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't get it.

Whatever, but I'm not going to let you blindly call me a racist. You're using that term incorrectly.

zerog
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I agree with neddog you shouldn't just suddenly label people like that, this is actually a pretty useless thread, I don't think any1 in their right mind would want to be labeled as anything especially an "Otaku", just because they enjoy doing something that interests them, doesn't mean they should be judged for it

Neddog
05-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Zerog. ^.^

I don't get it.

Whatever, but I'm not going to let you blindly call me a racist. You're using that term incorrectly.

lol... I'd love to know what you think racist means, then. It's discrimination against an individual based on their race of origin (perceived or otherwise).

Gjallarhorn
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Zerog. ^.^

lol... I'd love to know what you think racist means, then. It's discrimination against an individual based on their race of origin (perceived or otherwise).

I believe he's saying the kids were just weeaboos, acting as though to be "Japanese" as they see it in manga and anime. The Japanese adults in the store were then, more or less going "lolwut?"

That's not racist. That's an observation.

SigmaSD
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Actually I don't even know what otaku means, so I don't really care. Just as long as its not a negative comment towards liking anime.

wolfgirl90
05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree with neddog you shouldn't just suddenly label people like that, this is actually a pretty useless thread, I don't think any1 in their right mind would want to be labeled as anything especially an "Otaku", just because they enjoy doing something that interests them, doesn't mean they should be judged for it

No one is saying that Americans can't enjoy the same things as Japanese. However, there are a lot of people who are HUGE fans of Japanese things (anime, food, the language, etc), but understand little about them and don't care to learn. There are people who say they love Japanese food, but have only had Ramen cups and grocery store sushi. There are people who will only watch anime in Japanese because its "natural", but the only Japanese they know is "baka" and "kawaii" and can't even use those words correctly (and, as 久里寿 pointed out, there are those who use the word "otaku", unaware that the word is an insult).

These people are "wannbe Japanese". And in Japan, these people would be called "otaku". Of course, in Japan, if you walk around dressed as a member of the Akatsuki from Naruto, you are going to be looked at as if you are weird and are probably going to be called an "otaku" (since you look like as if you don't get out a lot). This goes for anyone, not just Americans.

In America, people embrace the term as being big fans of anime, manga and all things Japanese. There are people who love being otaku and identify themselves as one. However, in Japan, the word is an insult and doesn't just apply to people who watch anime. Its not really a good thing to be called that (it implies that you have no real life whatsoever).

So, the question would be: why do Americans embrace a word that is clearly an insult and one that does not exclusively apply to anime fans? That's the discussion.

zerog
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
first off that's not the discussion at all, read the first post the question is "do any of you guys like being called "otaku"? Otaku is not just anime and video games, it's a person who is obsessed with one thing too much, and that doesn't mean they don't get out a lot, that is called a Hikikomori who doesn't get out of the house that often.

First off you got your facts all wrong wolfgirl, I suggest you look up what an otaku is before saying all this random stuff.

Second: no one said anything to you so why are interfering in it?

Third: No I don't like being called an otaku, I don't like being called anything but my name, and in America, Japan, or wherever in the world, being called an Otaku is an insult unless your joking about it...

now before I waste my time any further I'm done with this thread good bye...

Neddog
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
This goes for anyone, not just Americans.

And this is my big problem with what I see in this thread - it SHOULD go for anyone, not just Americans. From what I've read here though, I'm seeing that if you're American and you cosplay for instance, then you must be an otaku trying to be Japanese. If you are actually Japanese you could still take it too far and be labeled an "otaku", but that's different. The comments I've read in this thread were directed generally at any American who takes on Japanese interests (I assume we're talking about Caucasian American, since you wouldn't be able to tell an Asian-American just by looking). Take for instance a comment like this:

She HATES the American cosplayers, thinks they're completely stupid. I actually kind of agree with her on that.

What makes them different besides being American? We're not talking about excessiveness and obsession here, we're talking about sharing the same similar interest but being looked on differently because of the color of your skin. Nobody said anything about "obsessed otaku" or "Americans who think they're Japanese". The only subject brought up was "American cosplayers", and how stupid they are.

And PS, 久里寿, since nobody else seems to have mentioned it, I'll tell you that I think your dissing of those two American girls at the Karaoke bar was very rude. They were very respectful of you, showing how impressed they were at your ability to sing Enka, and struggled with what they could through their language barrier. You had no right to put them down, and especially not to talk about them openly and publicly like you did. If they only knew what you really felt of them, they would never have shown you that admiration which you do not deserve.

They just love the culture and wanted to be a part of it. They showed you respect and admiration because you are adept at what they wish they could be, and you treat them like sh!t and publicly humiliate them. I can't tell you how little respect I have for somebody like that.

You even act proud of your accomplishment. These girls did nothing to put you down, and even admired you for your skill! Yet you're proud that you were able to talk about them behind their back without them knowing, and revel in your feeling of one-upmanship?

Diocletian
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow, you are using the word racist completely wrong. It's not a word to throw around because people dislike your Japanophilia. I anyone saying "You darn Japanese ruining my country?" No.

BTW, stop acting like a Japanophile.

Cobra Commander
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't care if someone calls me that, but the word really doesn't fit me.

I don't have any obsessions, and do many other things.

Neddog
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow, you are using the word racist completely wrong. It's not a word to throw around because people dislike your Japanophilia. I anyone saying "You darn Japanese ruining my country?" No.

BTW, stop acting like a Japanophile.

LOL!! You're hilarious... Did you even notice that I'm Asian? xD Why would anybody "dislike my Japanophilia", when they wouldn't even know that I'm not Japanese? I've never taken an interest in my Asian heritage until my late twenties, and no people don't think it weird that I now like Asian things, being Asian myself. ;) The only thing they think weird is that I was never interested in it before, and can't even speak my family's native tongue.

Think before you open your mouth to throw around your insults, please. This has nothing to do with me being offended or defending my Japanophilia pride. I call it racist because it's a textbook definition of racism.

AF SUCKS
05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
And yet no one agrees with that definition. lol on you.

Thanks for derailing this thread with your misguided rant. It's a simple question that I've only given MY observations on, that my understanding of the word and how it's used came from several Japanese people I know and have heard use towards myself and other people. The girl that hates cosplayers, whether they're American or Japanese, is from Yamagata and I think she's a pretty good source for this kind of opinion. The others pretty much say the same thing, she was a little more descriptive in her assessment of the word.

Now does being an Asian yourself give you sole license to speak on behalf of all Asian cultures? And I'm not worried about what you think of me, I've got lots of other people (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.) that don't think I'm being a racist toward them.

B Gundam
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I for my part don't mind the term, even if its sorta condescending in wrong context its kinda true. Except I'll insist you call me gunota for the correct term :P

For Japanese, only use in the same context as trekkie or geek (being its okay if its true but don't throw it around) XD

People will probably understand the term better after reading/watching Genshiken lol

Well you have to put in account not everyone who throws the word at the next person actually knows in which context its used, just forgive.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2653/19316272.jpg

wolfgirl90
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
And this is my big problem with what I see in this thread - it SHOULD go for anyone, not just Americans. From what I've read here though, I'm seeing that if you're American and you cosplay for instance, then you must be an otaku trying to be Japanese. If you are actually Japanese you could still take it too far and be labeled an "otaku", but that's different. The comments I've read in this thread were directed generally at any American who takes on Japanese interests (I assume we're talking about Caucasian American, since you wouldn't be able to tell an Asian-American just by looking).

Like I said before, the word DOES apply to everyone who behaves like that. Americans, however, are the biggest (but certainly not the only) offenders. Since I am American, I was using them as an example but I have seen Canadians, Australians and a bunch of other people act the same way. If they go around using Japanese words you not know the meaning to, or watching anime in Japanese because its "natural", or saying you like Japanese food (when it consists of Pocky, California rolls, and instant ramen), then they are most likely going to be called wannbe's, no matter where they are from or what skin color they are.

In Japan, the same thing applies. If you go around wearing an anime costume and acting like an anime character, you are most like going to be called an otaku, no matter if you are Japanese, American, Canadian or whatever. Otaku is a rather harsh insult to give to someone (unless the person saying it to you is a close friend), so even if somebody didn't mean to use it that way, they are going to take it as an insult since that's what it is; an insult. Sure they didn't mean to, but that's why people have to be careful about what they say.;)

AF SUCKS
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
In Japan, the same thing applies. If you go around wearing an anime costume and acting like an anime character, you are most like going to be called an otaku,
Maybe "mezurashii", or strange/unusual, but Japanese otaku are shut in's never leaving the house, again where the word originated from. The perception they have of American (and it's mostly directed at Americans for the simple fact that they know whos buying more anime and related stuff) fans is that they don't leave the house either, but when they do this is what they do.

Diocletian
05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
LOL!! You're hilarious... Did you even notice that I'm Asian? xD Why would anybody "dislike my Japanophilia", when they wouldn't even know that I'm not Japanese? I've never taken an interest in my Asian heritage until my late twenties, and no people don't think it weird that I now like Asian things, being Asian myself. ;) The only thing they think weird is that I was never interested in it before, and can't even speak my family's native tongue.

Think before you open your mouth to throw around your insults, please. This has nothing to do with me being offended or defending my Japanophilia pride. I call it racist because it's a textbook definition of racism.

It is not racism. If I was being racist I would say all of Japan could die. Think before you throw around the word racist.

Even if you are Japanese have you seen how ridiculous it is to have people walking around in lolita fashion in somewhere that is not Japan? At a con, normal, irl completely stupid.

Gjallarhorn
05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
If I was being racist I would say all of Japan could die.

http://i44.tinypic.com/e96ob8.gif

Somebody had to post it.

Neddog
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
It is not racism. If I was being racist I would say all of Japan could die. Think before you throw around the word racist.

Even if you are Japanese have you seen how ridiculous it is to have people walking around in lolita fashion in somewhere that is not Japan? At a con, normal, irl completely stupid.

O Rly? So if I tell you that black people are ignorant I'm not being racist, because I'm only calling them stupid and not saying they should die? How does that make sense? Discrimination is discrimination. If that discrimination is based on a person's race and no other factor, then it's racism.

I don't see what looking ridiculous in lolita fashion has to do with anything, except to prove my point. Of course it's the same on a Japanese person as any other, and that's the whole point of what I've been saying! If you say a person looks ridiculous because they're American and they cosplay, you're defining them by their race and not their actions! If you say that everybody looks ridiculous doing it, as you just said and like Wolfgirl had said, of course that's not racism - but that's the opposite of the comments I was referring to!!

Did those girls in the Karaoke bar do anything wrong or out of the norm, that they should be ridiculed for it? They knew they didn't have the ability to sing Enka like our OP can, but they carried on despite their limitation because they wanted to have fun trying (at least, that's the impression I got when they told the OP how impressed they were that he could sing Enka - that says to me that they admit they can't do it, but they admire those who can). So the person they put their admiration in ridiculed them behind their backs and publicly humiliated them for it - because they're American and shouldn't even be trying.

If you tell me that Americans are out of place in a bookstore, but the Japanese are "legitimate customers", that's racism. If you tell me that you hate American cosplayers because they're stupid, that's racism. What about Japanese cosplayers? Why don't you hate them too? If you're going to say something about people's obsessive habits then go ahead and say what you think about what they're doing - there's no need to label them because of their race!

Personally, I don't cosplay nor do I know or encounter anybody who does. I have no opinion on it, positive or negative. It's only the discrimination I have a problem with.

Now, one thing I will say in the OP's favor is this - I don't know him nor how he talks, and it could very well be that I read too much into what he said, and maybe he didn't mean as much harm as it sounded like to me. I told you all exactly how I read things, and if you were to tell me I was wrong in my assumptions and stand up for him on that basis, I would not deny it or fight it. Both Gjallarhorn and Wolfgirl said things which left me with the impression that they simply interpreted the comments differently, and I have no problem with that. However, to tell me that I don't know what the definition of racism is, or that I'm all hurt because people don't like me since I'm a "Japanophile"... well sorry, but that's just ignorance.

Neddog
05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Like I said before, the word DOES apply to everyone who behaves like that.

No offense wolfgirl, but you're really missing the whole point of what I've said in here. I'm not talking about the way the general public uses the term otaku, I'm only voicing my concern about specific anti-American comments made by the OP stating his hate for Americans, specifically "American cosplayers" or Americans trying to sing Japanese karaoke, etc. I never read anywhere in this thread where he mentioned any kind of dislike for anybody Asian doing the same thing, only for Americans - leaving no other reason for hating them than that. He didn't say "I hate otaku" or "I hate cosplayers because they're stupid". He only said he hates them if they're American.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but my concerns were off-topic and not following the question of what an otaku is or anything to do with that. Maybe that's the problem here, are you guys thinking that I mean using the term oktaku is racist or demeaning? 'cause I meant nothing of that sort...

If they go around using Japanese words you not know the meaning to, or watching anime in Japanese because its "natural", or saying you like Japanese food (when it consists of Pocky, California rolls, and instant ramen), then they are most likely going to be called wannbe's, no matter where they are from or what skin color they are.

Sorry, but that point I will have to disagree on. What you're talking about there is nothing but normal interest in a culture, and wouldn't classify anybody as a "Japanese wannabe" or as Diocletian so nicely put it, a "Japanophile".

When I listen to "The Girl from Ipanema" I think the verses sang in Spanish sound more beautiful and natural than the ones sang in English. In fact, I love the song because of it's Latin feel. Does that mean I want to be Mexican? I also happen to love Menudo and Tacos, which are staple foods in Mexico (at least the Northern part which I'm familiar with). That also doesn't make me a wannabe Mexican.

Although I agree that it would be wrong, as you say, to claim you like Japanese food when it consists of Pocky, California Rolls, and instant Ramen... but wouldn't that mean that you're NOT a Japanophile? If you were obsessed with all things Japanese, then you wouldn't think those foods defined Japanese. Like if I thought Taco Bell was Mexican food, I obviously wouldn't know anything about what Mexicans eat. Those obsessed with Japanese culture are obviously more astute that that about the thing they're obsessed with.

I know what you're trying to say, but honestly those examples simply don't apply. ;)

Dan_yoz
05-22-2009, 08:10 AM
dont really care...=)

AF SUCKS
05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Ned, don't you think you're trying to hard to drive a point that basically no one really agrees with you on? And persistantly doing it?

Isn't that also called trolling?

Anyway, that said lets move on with the old "agree to disagree" thing and let this one die, because you're not winning any points here and if the moderators found what you were saying to be true and it was offensive then it would have been locked.

It's a legitimate question with my own legitimate person experience, and you can call it what you want but if you're the only one saying it then it might only be true for you.

B Gundam
05-22-2009, 09:21 AM
People who are geekily obsessed or deep into something that they would wear whacky costumes and whatnot are probably asking for it to be called something, the main point is wether you are out of place in your environment.

An American among stereotypical americans dudes from OC california or whatnot who eats california rolls and instant ramen would be considered a japanophile, simply because

1.) He's the only guy who's eating raw seafood meat with vinaigre'd rice and nori
2.) The people around him have no effin' idea about california rolls and probably won't put up any effort in looking into it either.

How that one guy defines himself is a completely different matter.

Likewise, this guy is

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7369/gundamcosplaybox.jpg

On the comicet in Akihabara: Probably the most epic existance to some point.

In the middle of New York: Mistakened for a hobo who is advertising a weird sect.

Kamiyama demonstration of how people are =/= how others see them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dcbc353vzg

Well technically not the same thing. But for someone with no deeper knowledge in what an otaku is or what should be considered japanophile and what shouldn't, they might just throw the word for the hell of it.

XxPantherChickxX
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I liek it. It's...
Okay, I just liek it. X3

Neddog
05-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Ned, don't you think you're trying to hard to drive a point that basically no one really agrees with you on? And persistantly doing it?

Isn't that also called trolling?

Really? Responding to posts directed and addressed to you is trolling? Stop grasping at straws.

Gjallarhorn
05-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Everyone, get back on topic or I'm closing the thread.

Brandandy
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I've been called worse, so it doesn't bother me :p.

High Risk
05-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't particularly enjoy being called an otaku because I don't have much of a taste for anime any more and the last time I read a manga was at least 3 or 4 years ago.

Neddog
05-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I think I would mind it less in your case then, because how could you take it seriously? :)

Has anybody seen the current Gintama arc about the Otaku war? XD Hilarious...

High Risk
05-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I think I would mind it less in your case then, because how could you take it seriously? :)
That's a good point! Haha. I guess there is a bit of a difference though, because I have liked anime in the past. Perhaps if I were a person who never liked anime at all, I would be able to take it lightly. It could hit a negative string with me, though, because of the fact that I did like anime in my early high school days. (Did I mention almost all of my friends absolutely DESPISED anime? Yeah.)

Xieshunnuan
05-23-2009, 11:30 PM
only the people who's close to me calls me a "Otaku". But, if it was to be a random person who says it in a more teasy negative way then I'd just get pretty pissed off. But point is, I don't think I hear that enough from people I know lol.

_Freddie_
05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
How could I be upset? It's true, I'm an otaku... in the American sense of the word.

jennyelric
05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I dont mind I call myself an otaku

CherryBlade
05-26-2009, 09:41 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/e96ob8.gif

Somebody had to post it.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
as for the thread,i call myself otaku with huge pride...and don't really care cuz i am an otaku (without the cosplaying stuff though hehe:p) and if someone calls me an otaku i won't take it as an insult cuz it's the truth...

Shinigami_55
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by
as for the thread,i call myself otaku with huge pride...and don't really care cuz i am an otaku (without the cosplaying stuff though hehe) and if someone calls me an otaku i won't take it as an insult cuz it's the truth...
yeah,i agree whit her.
i hold the title otaku whit pride.cuz i am one and i dont mind if people think bad stuff of me.
my only otaku friend(in real life) accept and hold it whit pride too.

Atsui Sake
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't mind it so much. I'm not as much as an otaku as other people, but I still love my Japanese music. Although I don't like that I was called a "Japanophile" immediately after I introduced myself.

KawaiiKurochan
05-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Sort of... i like being called bcuz it means im addicted to it :P

i dont like it at the time bcuz some people have another meaning of it when they say it to me like... freak :P

Diocletian
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Popquiz for the Otaku: Place these three series in order and name their directors. No google allowed.

A. Macross
B. Macross Do You Believe In Love?
C. Megazone 23
D. Robotech
E. Gundam

.Sev
05-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Actually, I wish someone would call me an otaku. It would be like the next level of anime fan or something... But no one I know even knows the word, so be called it most likely won:t happen.
Why can:t I meet someone in real life that likes anime? Maybe that:s why i come here everyday... One day i:ll go to a convention and meet some people.

tsujigiri15
05-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Actually, I wish someone would call me an otaku. It would be like the next level of anime fan or something... But no one I know even knows the word, so be called it most likely won:t happen.
Why can:t I meet someone in real life that likes anime?

Mmm, I have a similar problem - in the uk, anime/manga isnt nearly as widespread as in the us (or indeed japan). And I dont believe the term 'otaku' would be understood by anyone other than people who watch anime realy. So I dont know really. I mean, I guess it would like being called a 'trekkie' - it can be an insult or a sorta term of endearment and an identifier. But as it is where I live if you were to cosplay or something, I think you would just be filed neatly under 'nerd'. I have long been fascinated by the difference between 'nerd' and 'geek' and all that they imply. And I dont like behaving in a nerdy way Ive decided. But for all that - I do watch/read more'n my fair share of anime/manga, so I guess I couldnt object to the term.

Neddog
05-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Anime > Star Trek ;)

.Sev
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Anime > Star Trek ;)
AMEN!:awe:

Gowenrushr
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I love being caled it.
It is true for me so i love it.

BestFly
05-29-2009, 01:49 AM
No one has ever called me one. But I don't I'd care either way. Honestly, in my circle of anime liking friends I'm a bit on the more well... normal side for lack of a better term.

I have been compared to Konata Izumi a lot by my friends who watch Lucky Star. Not because I like anime as much as her, but because of other similarities.