PDA

View Full Version : Most overhyped anime

Noskee88
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
what are some really overhyped animes that never were as good as anyone clamied?

Diocletian
04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a large list of anime. The biggest one being Gurren Lagann. It's so overrated. It pretended to be more GAR than it really is. If you wanted something that gave you an eccentric feeling watch Megazone 23. If you want GAR try Shootfighter Tekken or Fist of the North Star.

Naruto really isn't THAT overrated. It is a pretty good series that just lags too much. By the way my name does not reflect the liking for the series. It's more of mocking.

Señor Nobody
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Death Note. It's okay, but it didn't live up to the hype.

Miss Moonlight
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Even though it's old, probably the Dragon Ball series. I've never read the manga, but i've seen bits and pieces of the anime (original / dub, plus some movies).

-akichan-
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm currently into an old anime called "Master Cooking Boy" about a young teenage Chinese boy known as an expert chef of China, competing with lots of other experts. Since this is about cooking, but the way they cook and how they cut food is overhyped. Especially how they made the judges that eats food looks so dramatic. Imagine a person can cut food so quickly that the food would fly around you all the way to the plate. It's overhyped, but I still like it.

Miku214
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Gurren Lagann, Haruhi, Code Geass.

Not just because I don't like them, but also because I don't think they deserve as much hype as they get. Some members of my club agree with me too.

JIMBO.
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Death Note. It's okay, but it didn't live up to the hype.

its a angry guy with no friends in a room with a book

now thats hype:rolleyes:

he's not a hero he's just sad you want them to catch him cause of how much a dick he is.

Señor Nobody
04-30-2009, 06:39 PM
its a angry guy with no friends in a room with a book

now thats hype:rolleyes:

he's not a hero he's just sad you want them to catch him cause of how much a dick he is.

I cheered when Matsuda shot him.

Doom85
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Bleach. If the series had stayed as good as it was up to the SS arc, it would have earned the hype, but recently, it's just plummeted in quality IMHO.

Rem Nightfall
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
IMO here is the list:

Naruto....I like the first season I really do, but Shipuden really just messed up in my opinion.

Bleach....the author is confused or something you look back in his information, like one of them said Ichigo would become captain level in a few months or something like that...I'm waiting for that to happen....he even stated a captain had become a captain 100 years ago and then in a later volume says 300 years that captain became a captain....yeah the author is confused

DBZ....it was never that great to begin with. Other then awesome moment of hair turning golden and throwing super crazy balls of light.

Nazo_Otaku
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Probably Fruits Basket.
It's somewhat cute, but not as amazing as everyone say.
And TMOHaruhi Suzumiya is probably getting way to much popularity for only having 14 episodes. The Haruhi-chan ones are starting to deserve it though, but I honestly don't get the Churuya-chan ones at all. =.= The point of it please?

StabWound
04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Everything produced by Kyoani.

Gjallarhorn
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
The Haruhi-chan ones are starting to deserve it though, but I honestly don't get the Churuya-chan ones at all. =.= The point of it please?
Nyoro~n (´・ω・)つ

Bleach. If you know anything about story structure you'd be wishing death upon Kubo Tite.

Naruto. Don't get me wrong, I love Naruto. It's an interesting story that manages to keep itself interesting, and presents a pretty vibrant world. But it is not the almightly-must-see-anime that 99% of the posters in Feudal would want you to believe.

Hellsing. It sucked before, it sucks now, and it will suck in the future.

Sailormoon. Overhyped by people who watched it when they were 10. The Power Rangers were pretty cool when I was 10, too.

Lucky Star. It was great as a 4koma, and I enjoyed reading it. As an anime? Not in the least. It is composed of 4-panel long gags, and that is not the kind of thing you can build an anime series on. Not to mention they really went out of their way to loli-it-up.

Death Note. It's a repetition of two characters playing their trump cards. Oh, and L dies. And who is L replaced by? L - 5 years + white hair. Generally bland characters, too. The only think I like it is the art. Takeshi Obata is a fantastic artist.

Vampire Knight. It's a smutty romance series laced with panty-flashes.

Gundam SEED (and SEED Destiny). Bland characters, offered nothing new in terms of Gundam plot-style. Every character is an emo blob, except for Kira, who is a beard short of being Jesus. He doesn't make mistakes, he always saves the day. It's more like a highschool drama than it is a war drama.

Gundam 00. Back when they made Gundam Wing, they must have been thinking "Man, G Gundam wasn't homoerotic enough". When they made Gundam 00 they must have been thinking "Man, Gundam Wing wasn't homoerotic enough". Other than that, it's like a re-hash of SEED, but with a bit of 0079 sprinkled around, which is probably why it's better than SEED.

D.Gray-man. Katsura Hoshino has no concept of time, timing, or setting.

Miku214
05-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Everything produced by Kyoani. I 2nd that. Even though I do like Kanon, Lucky Star and K-ON! But KyoAni fans are crazy! o_O

Doctor One
05-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Naruto and Bleach get way too much attention concidering the quality of their plots.
Code Geass is okay as far as plot goes, but the way the characters look just doesn't fit the "realistic" and serious nature of the plot.
I hate Inuyasha. It isn't good. At all. The unrelatable BS romance and the "I still have friends even though I spend months at a time 500 years in the past." Yeah okay I can believe that.
And Sesshomaru isn't as cool or as manly as people say he is.
Edit:
Host club and fruits basket too. They arn't funny. The romance is crap too.

Neddog
05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
*ahem*

Neon Genesis Emogelion...

Kojack
05-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Anime itself is pretty overhyped*. Too many people are all like, "anime is the greatest thing ever, I'm going to watch it for the rest of my life!!"

It's cool, but not move-to-Japan-and-become-an-artist-desu cool.

*Kojack is stretching the definition of 'overhyped'.

Doom85
05-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Every character is an emo blob, except for Kira, who is a beard short of being Jesus. He doesn't make mistakes, he always saves the day.

Kira doesn't make mistakes? Umm, he couldn't accomplish the following: saving Flay's father, saving that little girl and all the civilians, defeating Athrun in the battle halfway through the series, saving Flay, and there are probably others I've forgotten. Destiny, agreed, he became a total Marty Stu there (though I'll take that over Darth Shinn anyway), but I just ignore Destiny's existence.

Memento Mori
05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Inu Yasha. The series is completely repetitive in every sense of the word. Every episode has the same basic plot with very few twists added to occasional 'special' episodes. She goes down the well, Inu Yasha won't talk to her, she makes him sit, she gets kidnapped, he goes and saves her, blushie scenes, the end. Also, the she goes down the well, Inu Yasha won't talk to her, she makes him sit, they run into a village being attacked, they save the day.

Death Note. While the show itself had a plot with a creative idea, the show was basically a "I've got this." "Well, I've done this." "Well, I killed him." Really, no action, especially after L dies.

Bleach. It's most confusing thing ever with horrible fillers.

Trinity Blood. I mean, come on. It was just a bunch of pretty pictures and pretty drawings with religion tied in with vampires with no plot.

Fruits Basket. Stereotypical shoujo all around, the artwork is terrible in my opinion, and it's incredibly predictable.

Naruto is a very good show in my opinion but the fillers seem endless when they appear. And Shippuden is crap. The manga is awesome, however. Admit it.

The Whateverwhatever of Haruhi Whateverwhatever is boring, dull, annoying, still predictable and poorly-written as it tries to be funny and deep.

Speaking of attempting to be deep.

Fullmetal Alchemist. The show is way too scattered and random. Whenever the 'deep' scenes appear, they're never deep enough, and you can never take it seriously with all the Ed being short jokes.

Elfen Lied. The show depends too much on bewb-shots and senseless gore and violence to be good. It definitely has to be one of the worst anime I've ever seen.

jtdlives
05-02-2009, 10:08 AM
FLCL everyone said how hilarious this anime was and I thought it was just stupid. I kept falling asleep through the 1st two episodes. I was really dissapointed.

mstrmnd48
05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I cheered when Matsuda shot him.

lol. i have to agree with you on that.

Legend of the Twilight
05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Bleach - it was good at first, but once they enter the soul society, it all went to ****. Every single fight scene is the same thing over and over again. It's so predictable. No one dies (except for the bounts). The storylines are always super drawn out. It sucks.

Naruto - it's a kids anime trying to be serious. It sucks. It also has the terrible drawn out storylines.

DBZ - That show is nothing but action scenes with a poor storyline, with a lot of screaming. It's also repetitive.

Señor Nobody
05-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Naruto - it's a kids anime trying to be serious. It sucks. It also has the terrible drawn out storylines.

Also they're reduced to killing off characters just to keep attention.

The manga is awesome though.

Diocletian
05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
FLCL everyone said how hilarious this anime was and I thought it was just stupid. I kept falling asleep through the 1st two episodes. I was really dissapointed.

You're right. I liked it, but it wasn't the Golden Cup like people said it was. They kept saying it was "so randum and funny", but I just found it to be stupid. Bobobo made more sense, and made it funny as well. If you want random try Excel Saga.

K-On - Honestly, I watch it because I want to be bulimic. Never have I seen so much disgusting moe at once.

Vampire Knight - Twilight anime.

Host club

I disagree. It's probably the only shojo anime that I will ever like and have in my top 10 list next to Lovely Complex. I found it to be well done, and the romance wasn't meant to be romance. It was meant to be cheap shots at fujoshi.

Gjallarhorn
05-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Kira doesn't make mistakes? Umm, he couldn't accomplish the following: saving Flay's father, saving that little girl and all the civilians, defeating Athrun in the battle halfway through the series, saving Flay, and there are probably others I've forgotten. Destiny, agreed, he became a total Marty Stu there (though I'll take that over Darth Shinn anyway), but I just ignore Destiny's existence.

Failure does not equal a mistake.

Doom85
05-02-2009, 04:21 PM

But you said "he always saves the day", when that's obviously not true.

Anime Forum
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I still like Naruto and all but I'm going to have to go with that one because I personally think the anime/manga is overhyped and not as good as people say it is. Its just getting boring as I get older. =[ I watch and read it on a very rare basis now.

Shinn Kamiyra
05-02-2009, 11:29 PM

But you said "he always saves the day", when that's obviously not true.

Aw come on; there's no need to get into differentiating between a failure and a mistake. Suffice to say, can't it be agreed upon that Kira, in spite of all of his abilities, didn't have the best foresight when it came to his judgment and reasoning skills at times? In that respect, can't it be said that he might've made a mistake in not having thought things through well enough at times?

Haoie
05-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Glad to see Death Note's been mentioned already.

Capernicus
05-03-2009, 05:03 AM
I don't watch enough anime to really add anything other than Naruto and Inuyasha (I think I'm just prejudiced against feudal anime). I wish I had ever watched an episode of Bleach, but I have seem a few Code Geass. Everything is just confusing.

And I'm so glad someone said NGE! Everyone thinks it's god! Same goes for FLCL.

But I disagree with Xero, I find that 4 panel manga makes for an awesome anime. I <3 both Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star.

shinryou
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree that KyoAni fanboys overhype the series produced... such as haruhi and lucky star... lol... K-ON! may have been overhyped but to me it was totally deserved... also going to predict, the overhyped haruhi season 2 that we've been waiting years for... ain't going to live up to what everyone expects of it... c'mon, how you gunna live up to 2-3 years of overhyping by fanboys AND casual watchers...

BDNguyen
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
All of those well known anime such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Fruits Basket, Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass are over hyped. Haruhi, I will admit, is overrated as well, but I love it too much to denounce it.

Baka Tenshi
05-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Haruhi, Air, Kanon, Clannad & anything similar to them.

Seta Souji
05-04-2009, 01:10 AM
All of those well known anime such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Fruits Basket, Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass are over hyped. Haruhi, I will admit, is overrated as well, but I love it too much to denounce it.I'll agree with u on most except One Piece because it is AWESOME and deserves even MORE praise. One Piece has been running for a long time but is one of the very few that never forgets a character that was introduced. Which is even more amazing because if you've read it, there are a LOT of characters in the One Piece world. I also like how there are so many different factions, gangs, pirate crews, islands, dreams, and devil fruit abilities (each very unique) which fits in very well with the whole "sea adventure" because the sea is truly a vast place.

Akito0o
05-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Naruto for sure.

AutisticOtakuGirl
05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Naruto
One Piece

nekosenshi
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
InuYasha is over-hyped. Way too much filler. Sesshomaru is over-rated too, IMO. I'm a bisexual girl, so I'm attracted to male characters, and he does nothing for me. If I was FORCED to be with an InuYasha guy, I'd actually choose Miroku over him.

agiup
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
One Piece :d

sataned
05-14-2009, 03:24 AM
forsure Naruto, Bleach, and Code Geass are the most overhyped...
especially Naruto... Believe IT!

.Tatty.
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a large list of anime. The biggest one being Gurren Lagann. It's so overrated. It pretended to be more GAR than it really is.

so damn true =/

also Death Note is wayyyy wayyy over hyped, i like it myself but its really not the amazing spectacle most make it out to be >_<

Shinigami_55
05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Otiginally posted by sataned
forsure Naruto, Bleach, and Code Geass are the most overhyped...
especially Naruto... Believe IT!
yeah, its like dragoon ball, lots of episodes that they were suposed to be fighting, but instead they are talking say like:"oh no,is going to use that."
"im going to kill you"
then they stay like 3 episodes gathering energy for the attack!!!
EDIT:

Originally posted by Graham Aker
would one be referring to the spirit bomb from the freiza/namek ark? ;D
that too, but there's a lot of episodes tha they take too long too atack or just stop fighting to see what the others characters are thinking of that fight
e.g.:songoku fighting;gohan talking to picolo(satã in my country):"oh nooo,dad you´re going to loose, noooooo,picolo can he win????
Picolo:"of course,after all if goku gets he's shirt ripped,that means that the ba guy is going to die!!![not an actual db talk,jst made up]

.Tatty.
05-14-2009, 10:29 AM
yeah, its like dragoon ball, lots of episodes that they were suposed to be fighting, but instead they are talking say like:"oh no,is going to use that."
"im going to kill you"
then they stay like 3 episodes gathering energy for the attack!!!

would one be referring to the spirit bomb from the freiza/namek ark? ;D