PDA

View Full Version : American comics.

Doctor One
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Since mavericker's thread got axed I guess I should start a new topic. No arguments or insults here.

I personally prefer most american comics over alot of Japanese ones. Hellboy, Squee, Spider-man, Watchmen, and Superman are my favorites.
Captain America and Iron man are somewhere lower on the list, but still epic.

I know what you're thinking.
"Shedra, Superman is an overpowered jackass!"
No he's not. Superman is normally fighting people that destroy planets on a regular basis. If he were any less powerfull, he would have died.
Braniac, Darksied, Mongo, Doomsday.
DOOMSDAY. That's his NAME.

I know by now some of you think Watchmen is an overrated pile of crap by now. But that means you didn't read it. Or can't comprehend it.

Spider-man, c'mon he's Spider-man. And Venom and Doctor Octopus are awesome. So is Lizard.

I'll admit that I've never read Hellboy. But he's Ron Freakin' Pearlman.

Squee is a comedy written by Jhonen Vasquez. The creator of Invader Zim. IT IS SO FUNNY. The subtle creepiness in his art and the out the window situations that this poor little kid ends up in are an epic combo.
http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/squeetp.jpg

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Man I love Jhonen Squee. Just like I loved Invader Zim. Hellboy is awesome too. I love Hellboy.
But as I said before my favorite will always be X-Men.

Heinekenrana
04-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I like American comics a lot too, I just dislike Superman. I know, he has his fans, and I'm sorry to say it but I ... just don't see his appeal. I've always liked Batman more.

I like Squee!, as I do Johnny the Homicidal Maniac; I adore Watchmen (although I know some folks who might cry if you said it was a comic to their faces. Sorry guys); and I like Preacher. Walking Dead has become a current favorite of mine.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
A non American, more British one I like is a current ongoing one called FreakAngels.

Sagat
04-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I am a huge, huge, huge Superman fan. Love the premise, love the characters, love his giant powers and his giant weakness.

Never really liked Lois Lane, but I loved the former friendship and intense rivalry of Clark and Lex, you have rivalries and then you got these two. Lex's sheer intelligence being able to stand against Superman is something I really enjoy.

Anyhow .. huge Superman fan. Have a Superman pillow, bed spread, action figure, tooth brush, chapstick, car sun roof logo sticker, reading light, towel, t-shirt and the alternate universe Superman comic where he is a Soviet hero (Red Son).

Superman easily stands up to the most popular anime heroes in all aspects, in my book.

Doctor One
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I like American comics a lot too, I just dislike Superman. I know, he has his fans, and I'm sorry to say it but I ... just don't see his appeal. I've always liked Batman more.

I like Squee!, as I do Johnny the Homicidal Maniac; I adore Watchmen (although I know some folks who might cry if you said it was a comic to their faces. Sorry guys); and I like Preacher. Walking Dead has become a current favorite of mine.
I've never heard of Preacher. Is it like a biblical fiction? (Like Constantine)

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
You guys should totally look up a comic called Vertigo and another one called Lock and Key.

Kojack
04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I heart American comics. Well, I'm partial to DC; I own several Batman, Superman and Justice League comics (also the obligatory Watchmen and V For Vendetta).

My favourite story is Superman: Red Son. The ending was all kinds of awesome; I stared at the last panel for a few minutes in awe of its win.

For some reason, I'm not as into Marvel. I like some of their characters, though: Hulk, Captain America and Thor. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why Marvel doesn't click with me.

sa5m
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't like American comics because they are mostly written towards the male audience. Most of them are action-packed superhero stories, while Japan has shojo comics.

Sagat
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
My favourite story is Superman: Red Son. The ending was all kinds of awesome; I stared at the last panel for a few minutes in awe of its win.

I know! I did not see that coming at all! I found the best part of the comic ... was that it was believable. The changes in Supermans attitude was completely realistic! It didn't seem forced whatsoever or that there were straws being grasped at.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't like American comics because they are mostly written towards the male audience. Most of them are action-packed superhero stories, while Japan has shojo comics.

Nah man. Vertigo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(DC_Comics))and Lock and Key are quite the opposite. And so is Freakangels.

Heinekenrana
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I've never heard of Preacher. Is it like a biblical fiction? (Like Constantine)

Well, kinda.

Kinda-sorta-not really. It involves the spawn of a demon and an angel, an Irish vampire, a crack shot who hates guns, love, redemption, and a guy named the Saint of Killers.

Plus going to war with God. It's a good read and I recommend it.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh man why didn't I remember that. I love the Spawn comics.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Any good Christian comics?

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Any good Christian comics?

How about no and burn them.

Doctor One
04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, kinda.

Kinda-sorta-not really. It involves the spawn of a demon and an angel, an Irish vampire, a crack shot who hates guns, love, redemption, and a guy named the Saint of Killers.

That does sound epic. If I can find it I'm definately picking it up.
And to those who don't get why superman is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnq2D4PtvI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnq2D4PtvI)
The only reason he lost is because DarkSied cheated using mind control technology.
"It stimulates the pain neurons. All of them." Or something like that.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Really?:

http://www.christianknightcomics.com/

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Really?:

http://www.christianknightcomics.com/

Crud. Like I said burn them.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Agreed.

http://www.chick.com/default.asp

Kojack
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I know! I did not see that coming at all! I found the best part of the comic ... was that it was believable. The changes in Supermans attitude was completely realistic! It didn't seem forced whatsoever or that there were straws being grasped at.
Indeed, it was absolutely believable. His nature didn't really change, it was only his beliefs because of his social situation. Even when he gets off track at the end, the thing that Luthor does (tricking him into reading the note) showed that he was still Superman.

Well, now I have to re-read it.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Agreed.

http://www.chick.com/default.asp

Shut-up. those are a good ministerial tool to reach people.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Christianity was never meant to be read literally. You guys messed up with your high IQs.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-28-2009, 08:24 PM

If any given person is such a gullible tool that a logical-fallacy-filled bit of paper is able to change their minds, then they'd already be in a religion. They reach no one except maybe lapsed Christians, and many Christians are unable to understand why.

Doctor One
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Back on topic. Take your religious debates elsewhere.

Who else is excited about the wolverine movie?
Gambit looks exactly like he should, and that's really my favorite character out of X-men.
That movie looks awesome.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Back on topic. Take your religious debates elsewhere.

Who else is excited about the wolverine movie?
Gambit looks exactly like he should, and that's really my favorite character out of X-men.
That movie looks awesome.

Gambit is my favorite as well. I hear the Wolverine movie is meh. I'll rent it man from Hollywood video.

Heinekenrana
04-28-2009, 09:02 PM
From what I've heard Deadpool is wasted in that movie.

And that makes me sad because I love Deadpool and that's a character who, with the right scriptwriting, could be golden.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Depends on what Bat-books and Super-books are written. I like Elseworlds stories.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Depends on what Bat-books and Super-books are written. I like Elseworlds stories.

No one cares about the super books you like.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
No one cares about the super books you like.

OPEN FORUM-I can post here and you are off-topic mate.

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 10:45 PM
OPEN FORUM-I can post here and you are off-topic mate.

So are you? And I was semi- on topic because I was saying something about super books. :p

More on topic:
Anyway, another one of the greatest comic books was Spiderman. I liked him. How naturally human he was man.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
So are you? And I was semi- on topic because I was saying something about super books. :p

You were flaming. You don't like Superman?

I'd like to read about Superwoman and Cir-El Supergirl when I get the chance.

Maybe I'll pick up some Flash and GL books.

I want to pick up Cleburne.

Who is Anti-Venom?

Rem Nightfall
04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
You were flaming. You don't like Superman?

I'd like to read about Superwoman and Cir-El Supergirl when I get the chance.

Superman and Superwoman are completely the same. But someone wanted to give into the woman's right movement and made superwoman. Big deal. Super strong lady. Ugh those things just don't appeal. I usually like things like X-Men because it's a group thing.
You have a large group of 10 heroes and you get to pick and choose your favorites.

Mavericker
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Superman and Superwoman are completely the same. But someone wanted to give into the woman's right movement and made superwoman. Big deal. Super strong lady. Ugh those things just don't appeal. I usually like things like X-Men because it's a group thing.
You have a large group of 10 heroes and you get to pick and choose your favorites.

Is Superwoman on par with Power Girl? Superwoman is fighting Supergirl right now.

Doctor One
04-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I find supergirl unnessacary too. And from what I know, she's his (Superman's) niece. How does that work?
o.-

Rem Nightfall
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I find supergirl unnessacary too. And from what I know, she's his (Superman's) niece. How does that work?
o.-

I don't know man, I don't know. Hahahaaha. That's creepy man.

Heinekenrana
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
o.-

Apparently one bit of Krypton survived, and it was the city Supergirl lived in; her father sent her to Earth to be raised by Superman, her cousin.

Which is all I know. Well, that, and she had a horse.

Seņor Nobody
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Batman was my fav. comic book hero when I was a kid. There's just something about him...I know, his cash! :laugh:

Seriously, I liked comic books when I was younger and loved the characters and the crosses they bear.

Doctor One
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Apparently one bit of Krypton survived, and it was the city Supergirl lived in; her father sent her to Earth to be raised by Superman, her cousin.

Which is all I know. Well, that, and she had a horse.
That sounds silly. The city just didn't explode with the rest of Krypton?
And she just happens to be related to the last son of krypton?
I'll just accept it.

Sanosuke23
04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
That sounds silly. The city just didn't explode with the rest of Krypton?
And she just happens to be related to the last son of krypton?
I'll just accept it.

Bottle City of Kandor. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandor) She was in a virtual version, actually, but whatever.

As I said in the previous thread, I've been appreciating Superman more and more recently. Yeah he's nigh-omnipotent and doesn't have a dark and tragic past that somehow makes him deeper and more interesting as a character, but there's a lot there to love, and a decent writer can bring about some interesting characterization.

Aside from that, Invincible ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(comics)) is pretty awesome.

Seta Souji
05-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I've always like the flash from the DC universe. He's fairly underrated and his infinite mass punch is pure ownage. The episode of him tappin into the speed force on justice league is the best episode.

I like Spider-man, punisher, deadpool, and hulk from the marvel world. I can't stand Mr. fantastic and Ironman. Tony Stark is seriously the biggest douche in the marvel world and mr. fantastic is the 2nd biggest for trying to play GOD all the time n screwing things over.

Datenshi
05-01-2009, 04:29 AM
Well, kinda.

You know, I don't think I've ever met a fellow Preacher fan before.

So well, Preacher is one of my favorites. I especially enjoyed (well, besides, obviously, the cussing and shooting and blood-sucking) the story's attention to history; like the references to the Vietnam War. It's one of the few comics I re-read from front to finish every now and then.

(As an aside, most memorable scene; the part about Herr Starr's head made me laugh out loud for about... half an hour).

I don't know if these count, but other than that, I usually read online comics.

Dinosaur Comics (http://www.qwantz.com/) uses the same six panels every day and still manages to be funny, and even downright thought-provoking.

Copper (http://www.boltcity.com/copper/); a collection of short one-page comics, updated about once a month. Not much in the way of plot, but beautiful artwork.

i_say_sabotage
05-01-2009, 05:20 AM
From what I've heard Deadpool is wasted in that movie.

And that makes me sad because I love Deadpool and that's a character who, with the right scriptwriting, could be golden.

Just watched the movie and Ryan Reynolds "can" play him. ALthough he was sort of a wasted character in the movie cos they focused more on Wolverine and Sabertooth. in fact there were ALOT (and I mean, A LOT) of wasted characters in the movie T_T

The funny thing was, all I can think of now is a Deadpool movie and not Wolverine hehehehe (Geek conscience: WTH are you saying!!! They can never gve Deadpool justice! *slaaaaap*)

I love American Comics as much as Manga. They have different cultures packed into them. I was never a big a fan of Superhero comics, though (except Batman!)

I like Vertigo's edgier stuff more than Marvel. I HEART SANDMAN! (oh wait that's a graphic novel not a comic...)

(Geek COnscience: SHAME ON YOU!!! *Slaaaap*)

Sanosuke23
05-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Oh, if we're also doing webcomics, Looking for Group ( http://www.lfgcomic.com) is pretty enjoyable.

I like Vertigo's edgier stuff more than Marvel.

For those that are going "What's Vertigo I've never heard of Vertigo," here you go, let's get you started. ( http://www.dccomics.com/sites/vertigo_num1s/) DC's offering up a bunch of the first issues of Vertigo titles as .pdf files to give you a taste.