PDA

View Full Version : is watching animes extremely childish?

golden girl
04-27-2009, 06:01 AM
hey guys do you feel watching animes and cartoons or reading mangas is extremely childish it's like only a few of my classmates do so so if you ask them why they don't watch any anime series then they'll say that that's extremely childish and they have grown up now i mean to a limit but we are 12 stupids i'm gonna call them grandma and grandpa from now onwards but still do you think it's childish well i don't i guess the stories aren't childish but it is that they think they are extremely big so grandparents i guess you all should watch daily soaps oh wait a minute you do so muahahhhaaaahhhaaa!!!!!!!!

Seņor Nobody
04-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Some are childish and aome aren't. Don't let your friends deter you from something you like (and isn't harmful).

Shinn Kamiyra
04-27-2009, 06:29 AM
I have to go with Itachi on this one. There are certainly some anime out there that can be perceived as being childish; however, there are also those that most certainly aren't and should only be viewed by a mature and well-adjusted audience. So, unless your classmates have seen a decent variety of anime, I don't think they have much of a standing by which to call it childish. Rather, they're the childish ones for insulting something which they don't know much about.

Well... I guess you can't really blame them for being childish since they are children after all. >.> Still, you get my point.

Shinigami_55
04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
i agree whit itachi nd Shin kamiyra.
some are childish nd some arent, i have lots of friends tht think tht anime is childish,cuz they never seen anime or want to look cool,i only got a friend who thinkx tht anime is a grownup thing!

ReSecret
04-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree with everyone that posted above me ^^

Ofcourse there are animes that are childish but definatly not all of them....They should watch one first before they even start to talk like that.

YujiNaruo
04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
I don't think watching anime is childish, although there is some childish anime out there. Do your classmates watch Disney movies, like "The Nightmare Before Christmas"? Technically, that could be considered "childish" too.

wowzabunny
04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Sigh
YES ANIMES ARE CHILDISH, ESPLEAICALLY THE ONES WITH BLOOD AND VIOLENCE AND SWEARING AND SEX.
and ones that focuse around DNA alteration and pacifasts you know.

TheAgentD
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Totally agree with everyone above. How can it even be childish if I'm not even allowed to watch the 18+ stuff? XD

Heinekenrana
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
If they've never seen any anime, then how can they make a snap judgement like that? Chances are they've seen maybe one episode of Pokemon and thought all anime must be like that. Bleh, it's not childish.

Light Buster
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
It sounds childish but no. (NO THANKS TO THE JAPANESE AUDIO OF COURSE!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:) But if you set the audio to English, then most anime will actually be for teenagers and higher because it actually sounds more serious. That's just me though...everyone like to set the audio to Japanese for some reason. Maybe for the real thing although it doesn't sound like it...

Rem Nightfall
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
It sounds childish but no. (NO THANKS TO THE JAPANESE AUDIO OF COURSE!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:) But if you set the audio to English, then most anime will actually be for teenagers and higher because it actually sounds more serious. That's just me though...everyone like to set the audio to Japanese for some reason. Maybe for the real thing although it doesn't sound like it...

Nah man. I find that the Japanese have the perfect voice for characters. It just doesn't work when L sounds like he's got a croaky voice and sounds like a freak. Japanese is the perfect voice for anime.

And anime is made for everybody there are adult themed anime, child themed anime, and young adult themed anime.

Seņor Nobody
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Nah man. I find that the Japanese have the perfect voice for characters. It just doesn't work when L sounds like he's got a croaky voice and sounds like a freak. Japanese is the perfect voice for anime.

And anime is made for everybody there are adult themed anime, child themed anime, and young adult themed anime.

I agree, in my opinion: subbed > dubbed. Naruto's dub voice hurts me in many ways.

I doubt they would call Elfen Lied childish.

Miss Moonlight
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Probably, then again many things are. There's nothing wrong with liking something made for children unless it gets too obsessive or something.

I haven't watched anime in a while, though. And i'm 26 (soon to be 27.)

Neddog
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Anime and Manga is a cultural thing, and has nothing to do with age demographic. Manga had somehow become the form of art which the Japanese chose to visually convey and share their stories. I guess it's only natural when you consider that the Japanese written language is entirely visual as well, each character representing a little picture in itself. From there, anime became the natural medium to set these stories into motion.

Just like in our Western culture, how our tradition of story-telling started in books, then moved to radio, and later to movies. In some cultures story-telling is a verbal tradition passed down through bards, elders, and other storytellers.

So the stories represented in manga span all kinds of demographics, from children to adults. Which is why we have a myriad of classifications for anime and manga demographics such as Shonen (teenage boys), Shojo (teenage girls), Seinen (adult males), Kodomo (children), and the least popular, Josei (adult women).

Of course, these classifications are very subjective. Just like many of you boys out there will go out to a "chick flick" with your girlfriend and find yourselves crying over it. Yes, we can enjoy stories geared to any demographic. I often find myself watching more Shonen anime than any, and even have an amused interest in some shojo animes. Of course I love Seinen shows which are actually geared towards my demographic, but they are not as common and I don't like them any more than the Shonen shows I watch.

daft
04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Not in the slightest.

Mavericker
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
yes

Anime Forum
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
As you must of read above, there is no way I could actually say that anime is childish. Maybe some of it is a bit corny and on the....childish side but most of them are way off from that, not even being close to childish.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Depends on the Animu.

Seņor Nobody
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
yes

See? In order to do well in life, do the opposite what Yellow7 says and think contrary to how he thinks. He says it's childish, then it must NOT be childish.

shinryou
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Some anime may seem childish. But there's many anime series that I wouldn't dare let a child watch. I was looking after my friends little brother, and I wanted to watch anime. Only to realise nothing I had with me at the time was something that he could watch.

I'd like to see someone watch something like DMC or Kuroshitsuji and tell me that it's for kids...

.Sev
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I think most people consider anime childish in the same way people consider english cartoons to be childish. Most people see pokemon, digimon, yugi-oh, and think all anime is the same way. And then other people think anime is like cartoons. Aimed for children.
So I think most people would like anime, they just think of it like one big genre. It:s like saying you don:t like tv shows, music, games, or books. Even food. They are all different.I mean, just because you don:t like one food, dosen:t mean you don:t eat?:laugh:

UROTSUKIDOJI
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh sure it's childish (sarcasm).

I bet the would say cool devices and bondage mansion are childish and why not put in hellsing and deathnote.

Look anime is hardly childish and most anime are for teens and up and you could shock the life out of your friends by showing bible black and ninja scroll.

.Sev
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
you could shock the life out of your friends by showing bible black and ninja scroll.

HECK YA.:cool:

jtdlives
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Yes their is some anime that is aimed at children, but most anime is rated 13 and up the same with magna. Most magna you read are rated 13 and up. Just talk to my daughter who get's really fustrated because I won't let her watch most anime or read most magna because I feal she is to young to watch or read it. She would defiantly tell your freinds that anime isn't for kids since she isn't allowed to watch most of it.

Light Buster
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Want to know why? My parents heard some screaming sound that sounded so high that my parents kept asking me: "Why is there so many screaming?" What I have to say: O_o. That's why English keeps my parents from asking that question. I also prefer it that way. No real reason. Just preference.

I agree, in my opinion: subbed > dubbed. Naruto's dub voice hurts me in many ways.

I doubt they would call Elfen Lied childish.
In my opinion English: > Japanese but feel free to send me hate messages anyways for choosing English over Japanese.

Kalila Chan
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
In a way yes, in a way no. It'll all depend on what the Anime is. Pokemon yea said to be a childish thing. Death Note... um whats so childish about that?

mstrmnd48
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
i don't think it is childish at all.

yilin
04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
no its not!
and believe me!
same here, most of my friends told me that anime are childish... >.<
but it's not... we have different likes or dislikes...
and I believe that every anime has a lesson... a good lesson....that we can adopt to...

BDNguyen
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Some people just don't notice the swearing, nudity, and violence that lurks in various anime. Don't get me wrong, that's the way it should be. I found it annoying how a Borders bookstore put series like Neon Genesis Evangelion on the children's shelves.

Neddog
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I found it annoying how a Borders bookstore put series like Neon Genesis Evangelion on the children's shelves.

lol. Yeah, that's ignorance.

sapphire123
04-29-2009, 02:36 AM
No, I don't think so !Rurouni Kenshin dvd (http://www.dvdprostore.com) is a fantastic anime! Highly recommend you to watch!

Aizen-sama
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
no i dont believe it is childish
there are some animes that are made for older audiences then there are some that are made for younger audiences but no matter what the age its not childish to watch them and if u think it is childish then...um..why did you join an anime site

CrystalAce
04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, I'm assuming that almost all the people of this forum are gonna say it's not childish (exception = Mavericker). As far as I believe, it would not seem childish to people who knows about anime and different categories of anime, however, for people who don't know about anime and only know about cartoons, then their response would likely be that it's childish. So, if you want to get answers on a larger perspectives, it would be fruitful to ask a lot of other people outside any anime forum, and I doubt that their answers would be positive. So, what I'm saying is that we are all guilty at hearts and we don't want to confess our guilts and I'm also one of them as I also like anime to some extent.

Now, let me apologize to ruin your mood with this cold and seemingly insane remark! And, my obvious response is NO, it's not childish as there are many categories of anime for child, teen and mature folks to watch.

zerog
04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I think we should be able to watch what we want without getting criticized about it, but I can see how a lot of anime is not necessarily aimed at kids there is a reason it says "18+" lol Don't let your kids watch if you don't want them to. I mean I still watch kids shows only adults know what really goes on in anime... lol

seiteki_otaku
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Sigh
YES ANIMES ARE CHILDISH, ESPLEAICALLY THE ONES WITH BLOOD AND VIOLENCE AND SWEARING AND SEX.

My exact thoughts.
anyhow...
Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's childish.
maybe it's time you lent your friends a little hentai ^.~
haha, just kidding :]

Noskee88
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
lol it all depends on which one
final fantasy unlimited made me feel a little kidish

golden girl
05-01-2009, 03:20 AM
well iguess i should go all my mates take a chain tie them all on a chair bring them to my home and bring a king cobra or an anaconda with let them free and make them read these post and yes i think they think so 'cause they were torchered by their parents to watch silly cartoons when they were 3or4or else 'cause animes animated and thus they fascinate kids or 'cause it's not true so they think that fiction is gonna dumb unaware of the fact they won't fetch anything by watching their mum's stuff lol i guess they need to try others spectacles too.

golden girl
05-01-2009, 03:21 AM
oh sorry guys i double posted accidently actually my pc's speed is extremely so it causes such problem i guess you can understand that.

yakman1692
05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Anime, just like every other medium has different age groups. I mean there's a huge difference between kids shows like Dora the Explorer and South Park despite both being cartoons. Just because some anime is childish, doesn't mean all of it is, in fact most anime is aimed towards teenagers.

Amray The II
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
No, it is not.

Flameprincess
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
yes i think anime is more for teenagers, but theres no limit in the ages :)

Baka Tenshi
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Putting age limits on things really sucks.

I'm 33 and I just love anime & manga so much.

I don't think it is childish - its no fun to deny yourself something because of your age.

[Spoiler]
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
hey guys do you feel watching animes and cartoons or reading mangas is extremely childish it's like only a few of my classmates do so so if you ask them why they don't watch any anime series then they'll say that that's extremely childish and they have grown up now i mean to a limit but we are 12 stupids i'm gonna call them grandma and grandpa from now onwards but still do you think it's childish well i don't i guess the stories aren't childish but it is that they think they are extremely big so grandparents i guess you all should watch daily soaps oh wait a minute you do so muahahhhaaaahhhaaa!!!!!!!!

Your post seems pretty childish. Comprehend and don't make huge run on sentences next time.

Sailor Kenshin
05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
i think, watching anime is not really extremely childish. i knew some poeple who was addicted watching anime but they were more deeper than who those think that anime were a childish thing. infact i'm more than 20 year old but i still love wtching anime's. some anime have a good story and you can pick some lessons on it. i think animes are the colorful ways to explore feelings. watching anime is fun but it's not being childish.

I'm probably older than everyone else on the forum put together... ;)

But you still can't pry me away from my anime. And I like kiddie shows such as Pokemon and Digimon as much as those with more layered themes, like FMA and the films of Miyazaki.

I'm even thinking of writing a book of essays.

Neddog
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm probably older than everyone else on the forum put together... ;)

You're older than me?! o_O

yrina
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
i think, watching anime is not really extremely childish. i knew some poeple who was addicted watching anime but they were more deeper than who those think that anime were a childish thing. infact i'm more than 20 year old but i still love wtching anime's. some anime have a good story and you can pick some lessons on it. i think animes are the colorful ways to explore feelings. watching anime is fun but it's not being childish.

OtakuInu!!!
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
No it's not!!!

when they aren't dubbed there are Japanese swear words in some anime!!!

also they cut some of the scenes not intended for children for some dubbed animes!!!

Sailor Kenshin
05-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I've heard there are actually no such thing as what we'd consider 'swear words' in the Japanese language.

Even insults like "kisama" are just increasingly less courteous ways of saying 'you.' And little Japanese schoolgirls say 'Shimatta!' ;)

Taikutsu_Remedy
05-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Honestly, I'm past the point of caring. Childishness is a subjective concept; I just watch whatever the hell I want, and if people want to deem it childish, that's their problem.

Diocletian
05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
No it's not!!!

when they aren't dubbed there are Japanese swear words in some anime!!!

also they cut some of the scenes not intended for children for some dubbed animes!!!

Yeah, swear words don't dictate whether something is childish or not. Something more along the lines of depth, character development, target group, etc. would dictate that.

Dark-Sasuke
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
no art form is childish, stereotypical views may give anime the "childish" name

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
no art form is childish, stereotypical views may give anime the "childish" name

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/crapart5.jpg

Yes some art forms are childish, and no not all Animu is art- most is absoutely not.

rikumi
05-10-2009, 01:12 PM
No, it isn't. Would you call your mother childish if she enjoys a Studio Ghibli's movie with you?

espeon977
05-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Not all anime is childish. People consider Pokemon and anything dubbed by 4kids childish (because they make it that way >_<) But your friends obviously haven't heard of animes like, oh say Princess Mononoke (about three people were killed in the first half-hour, at least)

You'll have to have a parent with you to buy it though, since it's rated PG-13 for "Gore and violence"

Then there's also Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind. It's bloody, but not as bloody as Princess Mononoke. (both are Studio Ghibli movies by the way)

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-10-2009, 01:53 PM
No, it isn't. Would you call your mother childish if she enjoys a Studio Ghibli's movie with you?

Yes.

But really, you're picking an example that isn't representiive of Animu in general. If my mom was watching Naruto, she would clearly be acting childish.

Neddog
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
If my mom was watching Naruto, she would clearly be acting childish.

lol... I'm currently watching Beet the Vandel Buster, and I don't care if I look like a big kid. Hell, my sister and her common-law used to watch Dragon Ball. I think they still do. ;) Some of these "childish" animes are just classics and loved by adults too. Shounen and Shoujo alike.

ZeroFox
05-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Childish? My great grandma in her 70's watches anime with me. We think it's a good break from today's drama and I believe it holds a more mature atmosphere. Anyways personally it keeps me from "Truly" being childish so I think it's the exact oppisite.

Gero50
05-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I would say no cause a fan is a fan and people should just except that and that's that's that. I mean, I watch Pokemon still and I am 19 and I don't see anything wrong with that. Its dose not matter as long as the person/fan enjoys the anime/manga they're watching or reading.

Arata Fukuyama
05-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Anime and Manga is a cultural thing, and has nothing to do with age demographic. Manga had somehow become the form of art which the Japanese chose to visually convey and share their stories. I guess it's only natural when you consider that the Japanese written language is entirely visual as well, each character representing a little picture in itself. From there, anime became the natural medium to set these stories into motion.

Just like in our Western culture, how our tradition of story-telling started in books, then moved to radio, and later to movies. In some cultures story-telling is a verbal tradition passed down through bards, elders, and other storytellers.

So the stories represented in manga span all kinds of demographics, from children to adults. Which is why we have a myriad of classifications for anime and manga demographics such as Shonen (teenage boys), Shojo (teenage girls), Seinen (adult males), Kodomo (children), and the least popular, Josei (adult women).

Of course, these classifications are very subjective. Just like many of you boys out there will go out to a "chick flick" with your girlfriend and find yourselves crying over it. Yes, we can enjoy stories geared to any demographic. I often find myself watching more Shonen anime than any, and even have an amused interest in some shojo animes. Of course I love Seinen shows which are actually geared towards my demographic, but they are not as common and I don't like them any more than the Shonen shows I watch.

Yeah, I agree with you. Anime is for all ages, that includes mangas. So, don't mind what your classmates are saying. People have different interests. :p

Minzy
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Sigh
lol, you're hilarious:p anime could not be anymore child-ish than the Terminator;)

Neddog
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Well now... I just happen to think the Terminator is very childish. xD Definitely corny at any rate. ;) I do love the series though...