PDA

View Full Version : If there was a One Piece section

Wio
04-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I would be in there every week praising Ichira Oda.

OP never gets stale, it always has something new to offer. Sure there are many anime cliques that it employs, it even has some gags, but the originality and creativity is amazing. You never really know what to expect. At the time time, Oda doesn't rely on cliff hangers, he sets up a scenario where you want to see what's going to happen next even though you have a pretty good idea. He always has you thinking something will happen and then boom, some creative thing you never expected pops up.

I've seen this anime criticized for all the wrong reasons. Some people don't like the art. Some people don't like Japan. Some people just hate rubber men (racists). But, whatever. I bet more people than I like the show.

Let's stop pretending that the Vandread forum is active and rename it to One Piece discussion. GOGOGGOGOGOGOGO

JIMBO.
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
thats cause he loves his fans you can see that if you read the fan mail he posts in the shonen vols

Gjallarhorn
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
thats cause he loves his fans you can see that if you read the fan mail he posts in the shonen vols

I'll bring it up at the next staff meeting, because I'd love for their to be a OP forum. Easily one of my favorite manga.

Also, his name is Eiichiro Oda.

Doom85
04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
One Piece is my second favorite shonen series of all time (Fullmetal Alchemist is still #1). I'd love for there to be a OP section. :)

Wio
04-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I'll bring it up at the next staff meeting, because I'd love for their to be a OP forum. Easily one of my favorite manga.

Also, his name is Eiichiro Oda.
OMG! Thank you Xero! You're the best!

Oh yeah, Eiichiro Oda... I'll remember it!! ... or maybe I'll just stick to Oda.

Diocletian
04-03-2009, 06:08 PM
He lags, he has bad artwork, and he never kills off anyone important. Everything important is off screen. Why not make a Suehiro Maruo forum?

Doom85
04-03-2009, 06:46 PM
he has bad artwork

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/499/04-05/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/422/01-02/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/377/18-19/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/224/12-13/

I'm sorry, what?

Also, do you realize how many shonen series don't kill off characters? Hardly ruins the excellent story and character development. And lags? For a weekly manga, he puts in more content in each chapter compared to others.

Diocletian
04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Uhh...what is that supposed to be?

Doom85
04-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Way to miss the point. You said "bad artwork", not "bad artwork in comparison to others". And that picture is great, but it's not like it blows OP's level of quality (re-look at that crowd scene surrounding Luffy, some great work is there) out of the water. It's just a different style, that doesn't make it automatically superior. Plus, something that's not a weekly manga. Weekly mangaka have to produce results much faster than mangaka on monthly schedules or "we'll draw when we feel like it" schedules.

"Everything important is off screen."

I overlooked this statement. What's that even supposed to mean?

Diocletian
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
1) His art is so cartoony. Head sizes are all out of shape; the fists look ridiculous. Pretty much he draws well when he feels like it. The best being during the Alabasta arc and making it his climax.

2) By "everything important..." I meant that even when the manga gets good it's not really there. The whole Ace and the paper thing was dragged on for so many chapters. There's so many characters that they become unoriginal.

3) Don't give it special treatment because it's a weekly manga. Mainstream example, but Death Note had great art and it was weekly as well.

I actually like the One Piece movies. It's shorter than anything else.

JIMBO.
04-05-2009, 11:51 AM
did you know that Oda worked on Ruroni Kenshin too, before he did one piece and his one shot westen manga "wanted" that looks a lot like one piece.

Gjallarhorn
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
did you know that Oda worked on Ruroni Kenshin too, before he did one piece and his one shot westen manga "wanted" that looks a lot like one piece.

"Wanted" was a collection of One Shots he did in highschool and college. It includes a lot of thing that you can also see in One Piece.

In the short "Monster", three's a samurai who looks similar to Zoro. Later on in One Piece during the thriller bark arc, the zombie samurai that Zoro fights looks exactly like the man in "Monster", and ever refers to the fact that he killed a dragon, as the man in "Monster did.

There was also a western, but it didn't have much to do with One Piece we know it.

The main thing is the opening comic, called "Romance Dawn", a prototype of One Piece. It has a punch of pirate, including Luffy with his same attitude and rubber abilities, and Nami, though she goes by a different name and is not a theif nor navigator.