PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Miss Moonlight
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
It's a new Zelda game for the Nintendo DS, which happens to be a sequel to Phantom Hourglass. Nintendo plans on releasing it later in the year, although it's too early for an exact date.

Article here (http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6206744/) and preview video (http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/spirittracks/index.jsp) at nintendo's zelda universe

As the name implies, Link has now ditched the boat that allowed him to traverse the globe in Phantom Hourglass in favor of a train. In Phantom Hourglass, you were able to draw your course on a map and set sail in the open seas, but things look a little different now that you're restricted to rails. It appears as if the tracks are already laid out across this land and you are able to switch between routes on the fly.

Link has always had the ability to travel across the countryside as he wishes--either by walking, riding a horse, or setting sail. It will be interesting to see how things will change if he has to follow the preset tracks the whole time.

Apparently in this game, Link is a train conductor and uses train tracks (known as "Spirit Tracks") to travel around the land. I guess it's phantom hourglass basically, only with a train instead of a ship?

It follows the same style as phantom hourglass, and is also controlled completely with the stylus.

After watching the video, I don't know what to think of it yet. I usually try to give games the benefit of the doubt until they are released and I can play them.

What do you think?

Brojasu
03-26-2009, 07:07 AM
TBH that looks like it'll be the lamest Zelda ever. Everyones begging for a new wii zelda release and they give us this. I'll be passing on this one

Archaic Devices
03-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I have to disagree with Brojasu. I think the game looks pretty awesome and I'm glad they didn't make it for the wii (considering I dont have one >_>) I'll definitely go out and buy it. Although it would be nice if it wasnt toon link

Bulf
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
It's hard for me to say this, but i'm probably not gonna get it. I'm not a fan of Toon Link, and I can't see Zelda games and DS looking too hot. (I'm probably gonna get it anyway)

Miss Moonlight
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I have to disagree with Brojasu. I think the game looks pretty awesome and I'm glad they didn't make it for the wii (considering I dont have one >_>) I'll definitely go out and buy it. Although it would be nice if it wasnt toon link
Well, it inherits the style of phantom hourglass, which was based on the windwaker. Since it's a sequel to PH, that's probably why they kept it in the same style.

The game does look somewhat interesting. I hope it plays as well as PH.

Haoie
03-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Ran out of sea, I see.

Aulos
03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, it inherits the style of phantom hourglass, which was based on the windwaker. Since it's a sequel to PH, that's probably why they kept it in the same style.

The game does look somewhat interesting. I hope it plays as well as PH.

Nothing official has said it's an true sequel of PH.

I think it's something different. There's been a lot of bashing of these cel shaded Zelda titles. (I'm not talking about here.) I personally did not find Wind Waker to be my favorite Zelda game and I found it to be sort of a disappointment, however, I'm sick of seeing people put down this game without even giving it a chance.

From what I played of PH it was just another handheld Zelda game with some DS touch screen mechanics added in. It played the same otherwise from what I remember, so I don't see why everybody is complaining about PH and this so-called (as they claim) "sequel" of PH. Unless you just flat out hate using the touch screen, I guess.

I need to buy PH one of these days. :p I rented it and found it to be quite fun. I'll probably at least rent Spirit Tracks... But I was hoping for a whole new Wii Zelda. Oh well, it will come one of these days.

Bulf
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Nothing official has said it's an true sequel of PH.

I think it's something different. There's been a lot of bashing of these cel shaded Zelda titles. (I'm not talking about here.) I personally did not find Wind Waker to be my favorite Zelda game and I found it to be sort of a disappointment, however, I'm sick of seeing people put down this game without even giving it a chance.

From what I played of PH it was just another handheld Zelda game with some DS touch screen mechanics added in. It played the same otherwise from what I remember, so I don't see why everybody is complaining about PH and this so-called (as they claim) "sequel" of PH. Unless you just flat out hate using the touch screen, I guess.

I need to buy PH one of these days. :p I rented it and found it to be quite fun. I'll probably at least rent Spirit Tracks... But I was hoping for a whole new Wii Zelda. Oh well, it will come one of these days.

Actually, in the trailer they show Tetra as Zelda, like in Windwaker. So if it's not a sequel to PH, then it's a Prequel...or they decided on a new look for Zelda. Either way, it has something to do with Windwaker, or Phantom Hourglass.

Aulos
03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I doubt that very much.

It's not the same Link and Zelda from WW and PH. It just wouldn't make any sense. Hyrule is not flooded, and this Link and Zelda look like they're meeting for the first time.

LittleGirl
04-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Lame, I want to see a new Zelda for the Wii!!

Wolfwood
04-13-2009, 06:40 AM
As much as i want a new wii zelda, i'll still love this ^^
I wonder if toon link is going to be one long series of games that have an easily seen and connected story. I hope it's a sequal atleast ^^;
All the others seem to much like stand-alone games.

Gannon
04-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Here's hoping its longer this time...

Ryuuzaki HD
04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
cant get enough of zelda games

Seņor Nobody
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm a big fan but I'm really disappointed. I guess I'll give it a try.

Inactive Account 0061
04-28-2009, 04:44 AM
I really hope it doesn't be like Wind Waker!

.Sev
04-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Since I dont have a ds, I can:t get it but... Link on a train?:(

IdleSniper
04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
How would Zelda feel like on the Wii? Any thoughts?

Sanosuke23
05-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll give it a shot. Toon Link has never bothered me, and I enjoyed WW and PH.

How would Zelda feel like on the Wii? Any thoughts?

A lot like Twilight Princess, I'd wager.

Doctor One
05-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I liked Phantom Hourglass, aside from the ocean temple. The solid snaking BS was annoying. Bosses were fun though. Especially the one in the temple of time (I think thats what it was) you had to use the top screen to find out when it was looking at you to shoot it. That was cool.
I liked the art style though, the smoke and fire effects were cool. And since that is carrying over to this game, I'm going to like it.