PDA

View Full Version : Gripes about anime endings

tsujigiri15
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
In a few of the series Ive watched recently, I have been very irate with how they end. What are your experiences with this/views?

I think the reasons fall under several catagories;
-The anime was cancelled before the manga finished running, and the so the series trails off, or is continued in ova's - school rumble for me
-The anime is overcondensed, and needs more episodes than its been given, so the last few episodes miss stuff out or rush it - fruits basket
-The anime breaks off from the manga and goes its own way - to a poor ending - rurouri kenshin, and fma, one could argue
Well, I think the examples I gave make sense. I guess there are also some where the anime is original or true to the manga, but the ending sucks anyways - but I cant think of any I have seen which fit this.

I suppose also that the answer where there is satisfactory ending in manga but not anime is simply to read the manga - but still, what are your ending dissapointments, in anime or manga? And why?

jtdlives
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes. Their is a lot of anime that have cruddy endings. In AI they had an article on the 10 worse anime endings of all time. Inuyasha for one had a horrible ending, because the magna wasn't done so they just stop doing the anime and it didn't even have a real ending. Black cat was another one where they just condesed the anime down and gave it so so ending. His and Her circumstances was another one where the ending stunk, and fruits basket ended at the beggining of the magna. So yes eventhough it is annoying your always going to get anime with crappy endings.

tsujigiri15
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes. Their is a lot of anime that have cruddy endings. In AI they had an article on the 10 worse anime endings of all time. Inuyasha for one had a horrible ending, because the magna wasn't done so they just stop doing the anime and it didn't even have a real ending. Black cat was another one where they just condesed the anime down and gave it so so ending. His and Her circumstances was another one where the ending stunk, and fruits basket ended at the beggining of the magna. So yes eventhough it is annoying your always going to get anime with crappy endings.

Ooh, yes Inuyasha is a good, or should say bad one...

Diocletian
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
NO ending is worse. This mostly applies to OVA's from the '80's to the '90's. Mostly old, old anime like Angel Cop or Golgo 13's. Hell, even Cobra was massively ambiguous. That's mostly because they don't have plot, but still.

Doom85
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
In terms of incomplete manga adaptations, I prefer it that they simply try to find a good place to stop as opposed to thinking of an original ending because those usually are awful (the first FMA anime worked because they had like 20 episodes to work out a new ending, and the mangaka helped them out). I mean, what where they thinking when they did Gantz' ending?! I actually had a friend who thought that was truly the canon ending and didn't realize there was a manga, and he was pretty upset until I told him about the manga.

Besides, sometimes just ending wherever they're at works. Ghost Hunt, School Rumble, and Ouran High School Host Club all just ended and it felt like a decent ending. Granted, not all series work that way (Berserk, anyone?), but I prefer that then them trying to think up their own ending which will probably be lame.

Or let's not forget the fiasco with Tsubasa:

Bee Train: here's an adaptation with filler, slow pacing, and a filler ending!
Audience: NO!!!
Production IG: Don't worry guys, we'll adapt the arc where they left off, Toyko Revelations!
Audience: Yes, this was one of the most important arcs, and you guys did it superbly!
Production IG: Great, and let's animate another arc!
Audience: Sweet!
Production IG: Yeah, let's skip two arcs and animate the one after that!
Audience: .........................................are you serious? What about all the plotholes and continuity errors that will arise? Not to mention: no Fay's flashback? :(

JIMBO.
03-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I wanted disliked how the Trigun anime ended since they just used stuff from the first 3 vols of the manga to make the whole anime as well as changing how a lot of the major back plot of Vash and knives (vash disliked the humans as much as his brother for a time) and wolfwood (he was a member of the eye of michael the best of the best of the gung ho guns but left after shooting his mentor and running)

Wario!!
03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
As much as I enjoyed Law of Ueki, it still REALLY annoys me how the last episode is part 2 and conclusion of a fight and the epilogue of the story. Sorta like scrunching the end together.

Funkgun
03-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Some of Macross Frontier's end bugged me. Alto never picked a girl, and the two of them are fine with that?
Southern Cross had no real end.
Blood +, and Mahoboro dragged their ends about 10 episodes too long (could have shrunk them a bit)

CapnJack
03-30-2009, 03:52 AM
The Deathnote ending in the anime didnt suit me. The series stayed as true to the manga as it could, even replicating certain frames in the books. But as I stated, the ending wasnt what I expected...
A. In the manga, Ryuk kills Light right there in the factory with everyone watching and not being able to do anything. Then it goes to a year later with Aizawa and Matsuda having a conversation about whether Near used the book or not, and Misa with Kira worshipers...
B. Where as in the anime, Light escapes the factory and runs for his life. They make it a situation where Light reflects on what he could have been and maybe regrets using the notebook or ever finding it. And it ends there with Light dieing by Ryuk's "hand". No epilogue. Though it appears Misa was planning to jump off a building.
I was contempt with the manga's ending and couldnt think of adding anything else. The anime though was a shock because it wasnt what I was expecting since the rest of the series followed the manga accurately.
Its like loving a flavor of ice cream, but when the brand changes the recipe you figure its not going to be that different. Instead its either not as sweet or different taste or thinner consistency. It might have a good taste in its own rights, but wasnt what you expected.
Im not sure why they wanted to change the ending anyways. Was it because that they knew some people already knew it? The rest was already predictable. Add drama? There was plenty as it is. Epic moral reflection? Ok, Ill swallow that. At the most I wanted to see the epilogue conversation and the cliff scene.

Konata Izumi
03-30-2009, 04:52 AM
What happened to the D.Gray-man anime was pretty depressing. The fact that the budget ran out was inevitable I guess, but the ending was rushed a huge amount.

Doom85
03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
What happened to the D.Gray-man anime was pretty depressing. The fact that the budget ran out was inevitable I guess, but the ending was rushed a huge amount.

Budget had nothing to do with it. The mangaka was currently on hiatus without a date announced on when she'd return to writing, and the anime was only 30 or so chapters behind. Rather than starting an inevitably long fillerthon, they chose to stop there.

CapnJack
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Bakuretsu (Sorcerer) Hunters was another anime that ended rather very tamely. I never read the manga but heard it was much better then the TV series.

***SLIGHT SPOILER COMING***

The biggest hang up I had about the TV series ending was the obvious fact that there was no epic finale battle with the main villain and hero. Sure there was battles where the other teamates fell rather hard, but as for a one on one final match that ends with Saha Torte being defeated and destroyed, there wasnt. A rather bummer because I like cheering for when the antagonist that brought so much chaos and dispair to all is killed or sealed for all eternity (but mostly killed).

Sorry for spoiling that much, but everyone can watch the anime to see what I mean or get the urge to read the manga.

SIDE NOTE: I did like the OVA though for the comedy and serious fan service.

Haoie
04-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Chobits ending blew chunks too.

Read the manga.

Neddog
04-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Budget had nothing to do with it. The mangaka was currently on hiatus without a date announced on when she'd return to writing, and the anime was only 30 or so chapters behind. Rather than starting an inevitably long fillerthon, they chose to stop there.

Yeah, that's what happened to Hunter x Hunter, too. That's the worse one for me, because I so want that anime to go on... but not even the next story arc has been completed by the manga artist.

At least with something like Inuyasha, the manga has a complete ending for you to read (which I still haven't gotten to yet, it's so long).

Miku214
04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Soul Eater ending was bad, although the rest of the series was great.

A lot of anime end badly because the manga is still going on (which was the case with Gantz, for example).

CrystalAce
04-28-2009, 04:30 AM
I'd say the ending of Dragon Ball Z was pretty poor. Come to think of it, the plot was never quite strong or serious as it had too many loopholes, and basically it was meant for little kids to watch. But still, it would have been better to have a bit more serious ending, however what we got was an unsatisfying ending. What more, then along came a lame sequel to it that's DBGT.

A great franchise having a poor ending. Really dissapointing!

Shinn Kamiyra
04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
There have been far too many animes that've had unsuitable endings. A significant percentage of the time it's because people are still anxious about getting them started, because of whatever supposed reason they have, and don't wait until the manga is finished. >.<

I would go into a list of some of the animes that've had inappropriate endings in my opinion; however... it's quite a list.

In terms of incomplete manga adaptations, I prefer it that they simply try to find a good place to stop as opposed to thinking of an original ending because those usually are awful (the first FMA anime worked because they had like 20 episodes to work out a new ending, and the mangaka helped them out). I mean, what where they thinking when they did Gantz' ending?! I actually had a friend who thought that was truly the canon ending and didn't realize there was a manga, and he was pretty upset until I told him about the manga.

Besides, sometimes just ending wherever they're at works. Ghost Hunt, School Rumble, and Ouran High School Host Club all just ended and it felt like a decent ending. Granted, not all series work that way (Berserk, anyone?), but I prefer that then them trying to think up their own ending which will probably be lame.

Or let's not forget the fiasco with Tsubasa:

Bee Train: here's an adaptation with filler, slow pacing, and a filler ending!
Audience: NO!!!
Production IG: Don't worry guys, we'll adapt the arc where they left off, Toyko Revelations!
Audience: Yes, this was one of the most important arcs, and you guys did it superbly!
Production IG: Great, and let's animate another arc!
Audience: Sweet!
Production IG: Yeah, let's skip two arcs and animate the one after that!
Audience: .........................................are you serious? What about all the plotholes and continuity errors that will arise? Not to mention: no Fay's flashback? :(

-Sigh- I don't understand why it was that Tsubasa stuck so relatively close to the manga with regards to the first season and then just spiraled downhill from there during the second season...

Much as I would've liked to see more D-Gray Man, I sincerely believe whoever it was made the right call by putting the anime on hold until the manga has been developed more. Granted, it might take a few more months to a year before we hear any news of the anime's potential restart. Then again, it's a rewinding 'fate' that we have to be patient for the things that we want, isn't it?

Datenshi
04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
The first season of Code Geass.

I was watching it as it aired real-time and wasn't aware there'd be a second season. I almost broke my television.

.Sev
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I remember when I thought the first season of higurashi no naku koro ni was the only one... I almost attacked the moniter:wacko:
(Actually, I still haven't watched the second season...so many questions...)
I'll get around to it...

AF SUCKS
04-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Witch Hunter Robin.

Totally crapped out at the end.