PDA

View Full Version : Looks like pocky to me

Capernicus
02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/capernicussensei/071126-cereal-straws.jpg

Shameless theivery if you ask me. Thoughts? Discuss.

Foph
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Goodness. It also looks like Pirouette. :P

Datenshi
02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
More like TOPPO.

http://gigazine.jp/img/2006/08/01/toppo/toppo.jpg

Gjallarhorn
02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, Foph is right. It's basically pirouettes with a hollow area in the cream/frosting to use it as a straw. And it looks like Toppo is made from pretzel. Pirouettes and these kellog's things are made from wafers.

TrucyTrucy
02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
They're gross, I hate them.
(The cereal straws, I mean. I have nothing against Toppo, as I've never tried it xDDD)

Srk
02-28-2009, 05:23 PM
They stole the idea. Plain and simple.

Magical Soul
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Lol i don't like them so i wouldn't really care.

Miss Moonlight
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
It looks like pirouettes, only marketed to kids. Nestle also makes chocolate 'Stixx' (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,635209719,00.html) that are somewhat similar.

As for pocky, i've only ever had it once (the strawberry flavor) when I bought a box when I was up north, and it was ok, but not really up to the hype everyone makes it out to be.

I do believe "pirouettes" are a european dessert .. (originally), so I don't think they "stole" the idea from japan.

Capernicus
02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't care about pocky either tbh, not my cup of tea. I just thought it was funny. What are pirouettes?

Miss Moonlight
02-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't care about pocky either tbh, not my cup of tea. I just thought it was funny. What are pirouettes?

From the ones i've tried, they are some sort of wafer cookie that is wrapped around to form a long stick, and then filled with cream or chocolate. There are all different types .. some of the ones i've tried were 'gourmet' ones from holland.

Well, that's about all I know about them, lol.

Cless Alvein
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Not even close. Now THIS, which I found in Italy...

http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1179449a9e1b9b7368.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=41433)

-akichan-
02-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think this worth to be discussed...there are plenty of food that looks the same or similar, just a different name...Just like yogurts =]

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-28-2009, 08:30 PM

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=734

More likely to be a rip-off of those since they are both hollow and filled with junk, where as pocky is a chocolate covered pretzel stick made with cookie instead of pretzel.

Sorry to all those beawoos whose pocky-must-be-original-because-Japan-is-so-cool fantasies I just crushed with my skepticism.

Lenks
02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Not even close. Now THIS, which I found in Italy...

http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1179449a9e1b9b7368.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=41433)

Because that is Pocky, haha. Look, it even has the company's name, Glico, on the upper left hand corner. It was renamed after some game with bamboo rods.

Ayame_Sohma
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I really like pocky, my favorite are strawberry. I don't like cereal straws or anything like that.

Diocletian
02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Since everyone is posting pictures it reminds me more of cigs to me.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q378/locsDHS/Faros_02.jpg

Memento Mori
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Does it matter?

It's just food.

Oh no, the world is going to Hell in a hand basket just because one food item looks like another!

Call the police! The president! Jesus! Goku!

And besides.

I liked the cereal straws waaaaay more than pocky.

I could make my own pocky. But Japanophiles wouldn't allow it because it doesn't come from Japan. It'd come from my kitchen. D:

Datenshi
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
POCKY TASTES LIKE CRACKERS AND FROSTING.

I COULD MAKE IT AT HOME.
IS IT REALLY THAT SPECIAL?
Pocky is special because 1) Glico came up with a way to eat chocolate without people dirtying their fingers, 2) They did it first, and 3) They marketed it well.

Memento Mori
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Pocky is special because 1) Glico came up with a way to eat chocolate without people dirtying their fingers, 2) They did it first, and 3) They marketed it well.

I'm sure someone somewhere somehow put frosting on a cracker long before Glico did.

It's just food. We turn it into poop. Japanophiles just go crazy over it because it's from Japan.

You have yet to convince me it's the best thing since sliced bread or The Doors.

Ollie
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
What? No. NO.

Pocky is a solid sort of biscuit stick dipped in a frosting like chocolate or strawberry. It's not exactly the most original idea in the world, but anyway... IT IS NOT HOLLOW.

Have you never actually SEEN a stick of Pocky before, or just have very limited experience with candy?

I've seen those wafer-tubes around for a LONG time. I remember them being used as decoration in fancy ice cream set-ups. Not to mention way tastier than overpriced Pocky. Pfeh!

-akichan-
02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
What? No. NO.

Pocky is a solid sort of biscuit stick dipped in a frosting like chocolate or strawberry. It's not exactly the most original idea in the world, but anyway... IT IS NOT HOLLOW.

Have you never actually SEEN a stick of Pocky before, or just have very limited experience with candy?

Well said, that's how pocky originally should look like. Today, there are many many products of snacks made similar with pocky, a stick of cracker with chocolate frosting on it, and some has frosting inside it, but that's not how pocky use to look like, it's just people are inventing more new stuff to make what they are making more unique than the originals.

http://strawberry-pocky.com/images/strawberry-pocky.jpg

None of the above
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3117/imag000dy3.jpg

Something else than you posted there.

Important, if at all?

PS: not my pic. Taken by a compatriot.

Diocletian
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
The real question is why anime and pocky are related. Is it a conspiracy?

None of the above
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Mikado is trying to take over the world through its deliciousness!
Anime as part of the world will be destroyed.

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-28-2009, 11:36 PM

1) Umm, Chocolate Covered Pretzel Stick
2) Chocolate Covered Pretzel Stick
3) Japanese people will buy anything. Roasted bee larva in vinegar is a treat in some areas. I rest my case.

-akichan-
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM

Oh...no, I hope not...xD

However, I do see a lot of people especially Americans who are fans of Japan, they tend to like pocky the most in food, and anime the most in culture(but i dont see anime as a culture). Those who are non-Japanese in foreign countries like anime, then at the same time, they'll like Japanese people, just like anime nerds would get crazy over beauties of Japanese teenage girls. Pocky is like...a very popular snack worldwide invented by the Japanese, and there are million fans of pocky. I do see a lot of non-Japanese anime freaks tends to like pocky, and often connect pocky and anime.

Anime and pocky are two different things, alright, if eating the pocky, then eat anime! If watching anime, watch the pocky! They are two different things. Although people do connect them together, that eating pocky makes you Japanese, at the same time watching anime makes you a cool Japanese, but that won't happen.

Seriously, it'd crack me up if a person says pocky and anime are the same thing, they makes people look cool.

"So asian!" xD

Diocletian
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
3) Japanese people will buy anything. Roasted bee larva in vinegar is a treat in some areas. I rest my case.

Evidence.
http://www.stupid.com/fun/WURB.html

Japan just happens to have too much time on their hands.

@-akichan- I've learned throughout my career to never doubt anime fans. Never get them started on their AZNFRESHHNEZZ!

Datenshi
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM

They might have flagrantly plagarized the idea from pretzels, but considering the fact that nobody in Japan had or has ever even heard of pretzels, you could say they stole it first. They got away with it, and they made a lot of money to boot. I don't know about you, but I'd give Glico credit for that.

As for 3), I find that utterly disgusting. Vinegar? Ew.

CapnJack
03-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Looks more like these and less like pocky...

http://www.japancentre.com/images/items/250px/SN_BI_picolachocolate.jpg

My dad brings something like these home from factories. They call them "love letters". There good but need to eat a lot to satisfy. They sell everywhere in the world. But, theres definately a noticeable similarity and Id say a copy. Either that or Kellogg's is moving to Japan.

suzumi
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
It looks more like Picola to me... >_>

http://ippai.itigo.jp/i-cookie/nabisco-picola.jpg

-akichan-
03-01-2009, 01:00 AM
@-akichan- I've learned throughout my career to never doubt anime fans. Never get them started on their AZNFRESHHNEZZ!

I don't know what part of words I said in my post that made you think I was doubting anime fans o.o;;; I like animes too, so why would I? Don't misinterpret my words, otherwise people would hate me so much.

suzumi
03-01-2009, 01:27 AM

Because Pocky (or something that is obviously Pocky, just with a different name) appears in a lot of anime?

I think it IS a conspiracy. Glico is evil, just like San Rio. They are infecting the minds of the people!!

And I don't get what you were trying to say either, -akichan-...

JIMBO.
03-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I like mochi better than pocky

red bean for the win

Princely Dreaming Doll
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Let me clear this up, Pocky doesn't taste like pretzels. Pocky taste like biscuits covered in chocolate.
And I'm talking biscuits as the British term, a very unsweet stick of Biscoti probably covered in chocolate.
Ha.
Pocky doesn't taste like pretzels thank you very much.
And mochi taste gross.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Let me clear this up, Pocky doesn't taste like pretzels. Pocky taste like biscuits covered in chocolate.
And I'm talking biscuits as the British term, a very unsweet stick of Biscoti probably covered in chocolate.
Ha.
Pocky doesn't taste like pretzels thank you very much.
And mochi taste gross.

Nobody said they do. Reread the discussion.

Princely Dreaming Doll
03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Nobody said they do. Reread the discussion.

I did read the discussion.
People were comparing Pocky too pretzels and crackers.
It taste neither resembles both.
Thank you.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I did read the discussion.
People were comparing Pocky too pretzels and crackers.
It taste neither resembles both.
Thank you.

Then I will break it down for you.

The discussion is that those Cereal Sticks ripped off Pocky.
There are things that seem more likely to be the inspiration for the Cereal Sticks.
Pocky itself is extremely derivative of chocolate covered pretzel stick, a much older confection made with a different kind of batter and dipped in chocolate.
Pocky therefore is not original.

Crackers, Pretzels, and Biskets all belong to the same family of food. You seem to be splitting hairs.

Princely Dreaming Doll
03-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Then I will break it down for you.

The discussion is that those Cereal Sticks ripped off Pocky.
There are things that seem more likely to be the inspiration for the Cereal Sticks.
Pocky itself is extremely derivative of chocolate covered pretzel stick, a much older confection made with a different kind of batter and dipped in chocolate.
Pocky therefore is not original.

Crackers, Pretzels, and Biskets all belong to the same family of food. You seem to be splitting hairs.

Crackers, Pretzels, and Biscuits don't taste the same, now do they?
They may come from the same family line, but they certainly have their own flavors.
That's like saying I have a brother and we come from the same family so he'll be exactly like me in behavior and personality.

Cereal sticks didn't copy off of Pocky.
There are a lot of other pastries that many people who have already point out, look like cereal sticks.

Memento Mori
03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
They may come from the same family line, but they certainly have their own flavors.
That's like saying I have a brother and we come from the same family so he'll be exactly like me in behavior and personality.

Cereal sticks didn't copy off of Pocky.
There are a lot of other pastries that many people who have already point out, look like cereal sticks.

You're taking this way too seriously. Again, it's food we turn into poop.

Eris
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
This thread is made of fail. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Fuu Kasumi
03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Honestly, I don't see what the hype is all about. It's just a biscuit covered in chocolate (or strawberry frosting, apparently). What bothers me is that my friend thinks it's the food of the gods. When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she actually told me to buy her a few boxes of pocky.

Nanuq
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
whatever they are they're pretty good 8D

Sanosuke23
03-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sure someone somewhere somehow put frosting on a cracker long before Glico did.

Cough. ( http://www.amazon.com/Dunkaroos-Cinnamon-Vanilla-Frosting-Sprinkles/dp/B000EMOCL2)

I'm actually not sure if either of these are as OLD as Pocky, but THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbyzero/sets/72157603620993810/)

Those are actually better in my opinion but require more manual labor. I can understand why chubby beawoos would rather just have their cookies prefrosted, I suppose. They wanna conserve their energy for their inevitable transformation into a Japanese person.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
That's like saying I have a brother and we come from the same family so he'll be exactly like me in behavior and personality.Except that I never claimed that. I was talking about the originality i.e. the topic. You can chase all the windmills you want, I guess.

Memento Mori
03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Cough. (http://www.amazon.com/Dunkaroos-Cinnamon-Vanilla-Frosting-Sprinkles/dp/B000EMOCL2)

I'm actually not sure if either of these are as OLD as Pocky, but THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbyzero/sets/72157603620993810/)

Those are actually better in my opinion but require more manual labor. I can understand why chubby beawoos would rather just have their cookies prefrosted, I suppose. They wanna conserve their energy for their inevitable transformation into a Japanese person.

Who the Hell would spend 30 dollars on frosted crackers?

Only on the entarwebbz.

Diocletian
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
This thread is made of fail. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Thread isn't about that. Hell, I don't even know what it's about.

Memento Mori
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM

I think the topic was lost after someone mentioned 'pocky.'

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM

I do, but I'm not telling. The information is on a strictly need to know basis, and as it entails Pocky absolutely no one needs to know.

LittleGirl
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
There is a ton of food that looks like that.

And just saying...Pocky isn't that great. It's a cracker dipped in chocolate. If it didn't come from Japan none of you would be eating it.

Khanxay
03-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm actually not sure if either of these are as OLD as Pocky, but THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbyzero/sets/72157603620993810/)

I'd like to mention that I love those and sometimes I even ignore the biscuits and eat the frosting with my fingers. You can't do that with Pocky.

Capernicus
03-02-2009, 03:21 AM
I think the topic was lost after someone mentioned 'pocky.'
...I mentioned pocky. I thought that the resemblance was funny. No I didn't put any deep thought about what other things it could resemble, I don't see why I should seeing as we are talking about snack foods. I asked for thoughts, and obviously people have very little other then "omgz this thread is stupid luzl". So...whatevs.

pipez
03-02-2009, 04:44 AM

1.\
2. > BECAUSE I LOVE PRETZEL! XD
3./

Kalila Chan
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Here in the UK they are called Coco Pops straws. Just cereal straws with a thing layar of chocolate inside. Not much flavour but the kids love em.

Memento Mori
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
...I mentioned pocky. I thought that the resemblance was funny. No I didn't put any deep thought about what other things it could resemble, I don't see why I should seeing as we are talking about snack foods. I asked for thoughts, and obviously people have very little other then "omgz this thread is stupid luzl". So...whatevs.

I know you did, Cap. I don't think I was very clear with the joke, but the joke was that the topic was lost since the very beginning.

Bleh, it's not funny anymore.

Anyway, I WILL RESPOND ABOUT IT LOOKING LIKE POCKY NOW!

... Eh. Pocky isn't hollow enough.

Diocletian
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM

AF has just made a debate on Pocky and Cereal Straws. Low point?

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Not really. Years ago when AG was still around as a forum we had a heated discussion about the virtues of Orange Juice v. Apple Juice. Tears were shed, blood was spilled, entire countries were wiped out of existance, and the Four Horsemen roamed the Earth. It was dark times indeed.

Diocletian
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Not really. Years ago when AG was still around as a forum we had a heated discussion about the virtues of Orange Juice v. Apple Juice. Tears were shed, blood was spilled, entire countries were wiped out of existance, and the Four Horsemen roamed the Earth. It was dark times indeed.

That's highly debatable. Which has more more citrus, vitamin C, et al.

Now the pocky and the stick is more of a who came first Raptor Jesus or Mecha Hitler, ya know? There is no right answer.

Datenshi
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
The way I see it, some people are taking way too seriously the fact that other people are taking the the topic too seriously.

I'd like to mention that I love those and sometimes I even ignore the biscuits and eat the frosting with my fingers. You can't do that with Pocky.
What I do with Pocky is sort of wet it with my tongue and then scrape the chocolate off with my teeth. (For some strange reason, no matter how many times I rewrite that sentence it doesn't come out quite right.)

Feh. I get this strange implication sometimes on the Internet that people actually exist out there who eat Pocky because it's Japanese. If that's really true, speaking as a Japanese, I find that a little pathetic.

Oh, and Kinoko No Sato for the win.
http://www.meiji.co.jp/sweets/chocolate/kinotake/products/index.html

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
That's highly debatable. Which has more more citrus, vitamin C, et al.

Now the pocky and the stick is more of a who came first Raptor Jesus or Mecha Hitler, ya know? There is no right answer.

What are you talking about? Of course it's Raptor Jesus, he died for your sins.

Diocletian
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
But Mecha Hitler allows no sins. Plus, if it wasn't for him Pocky wouldn't taste like rubbed off scraps of chocolate.

Princess Elli
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
hmm the kellogs thing is like the ones out today "slurp your left over breakfast milk with our new CHOCOLATE flavour edible straws" yeah smart idea feed the somewhat worrying already "obese" children of today with more junk thats 99.9% made of recycled ash.

but moving onto the pocky <3

it's a pretzil like cracker with awesome toppings like when you dunk some dipping chips into a dip but with the dip already on the chip when you pull it out the packet, i have a HUGE addiction to pocky and probally eat about 4-8 boxes per day but i have them at suitable times (mostly during lessons when i am allowed to snack on something because i'm too far ahead of the work in class)

Eris
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM

No.

Exhibit A: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=48827
Exhibit B: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=72584 (you may need to read a few pages)

Memento Mori
03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
hmm the kellogs thing is like the ones out today "slurp your left over breakfast milk with our new CHOCOLATE flavour edible straws" yeah smart idea feed the somewhat worrying already "obese" children of today with more junk thats 99.9% made of recycled ash.

but moving onto the pocky <3

it's a pretzil like cracker with awesome toppings like when you dunk some dipping chips into a dip but with the dip already on the chip when you pull it out the packet, i have a HUGE addiction to pocky and probally eat about 4-8 boxes per day but i have them at suitable times (mostly during lessons when i am allowed to snack on something because i'm too far ahead of the work in class)

You're basically saying it's the company's fault that children are so fat.

No, it's the damn kid's fault. They have to learn about self-control and parents have to stop buying them to damn food.

Why would THEY worry about it? There are PLENTY of healthy choice foods in the world, one more junk food item isn't going to ruin our society.

The things are delicious.

P.S. I should blame pocky for the reason I'm so fat.

Ollie
03-03-2009, 10:26 PM
A low point, perhaps. But few things get any lower than a thread entitled "What's your favorite sitting position?"

Diocletian
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
No.

Exhibit A: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=48827
Exhibit B: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=72584 (you may need to read a few pages)

Those had about 9 pages worth of fun. To be fair those are failures. It's more like beawoo cat girling and I don't see how the magic thread is anything but awesome.

A low point, perhaps. But few things get any lower than a thread entitled "What's your favorite sitting position?"

Imagine the innuendos....

I tasted the cereal straws and somewhat lol'd when I did because it reminded me of AF. I stand that cereal straws taste better. Much better. I can suck milk through those giant things.

suzumi
03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
What I do with Pocky is sort of wet it with my tongue and then scrape the chocolate off with my teeth. (For some strange reason, no matter how many times I rewrite that sentence it doesn't come out quite right.)

Feh. I get this strange implication sometimes on the Internet that people actually exist out there who eat Pocky because it's Japanese. If that's really true, speaking as a Japanese, I find that a little pathetic.

Oh, and Kinoko No Sato for the win.
http://www.meiji.co.jp/sweets/chocolate/kinotake/products/index.html

It's Kinoko no Yama, Ken-kun. ^^; I get them mixed up all the time too. =P

I eat Pocky upside down. >_> The only ones I eat normally are the Gokuboso Pocky (http://pocky.jp/products/pocky/gokuboso.html).

Gokuboso ftw!!

Datenshi
03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
It's Kinoko no Yama, Ken-kun. ^^; I get them mixed up all the time too. =P

I eat Pocky upside down. >_> The only ones I eat normally are the Gokuboso Pocky (http://pocky.jp/products/pocky/gokuboso.html).

Gokuboso ftw!!
Gaah. The thing is, I just had a heated debate about which is better with my friends the other day. Two of us were of the Kinoko camp and the other two swore on Takenoko (the degenerates).

Sanosuke23
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Who the Hell would spend 30 dollars on frosted crackers?

Only on the entarwebbz.

Well, it's 14 boxes of six. That's 84 packages of frosted crackers for 30 bucks.

You can't get that kind of value out of Pocky here in NYC, you can get maybe 10 of the smaller boxes of Pocky for that much. Possibly 20 or 30 if you go to the right place, but certainly not 84.

suzumi
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Gaah. The thing is, I just had a heated debate about which is better with my friends the other day. Two of us were of the Kinoko camp and the other two swore on Takenoko (the degenerates).

Kinoko is way better!! Takenoko is too much biscuit, and not enough chocolate. >_<

MoroDashi
03-04-2009, 04:31 AM
That's the food business, I guess. They copy and add their own 'twist' to it.

Memento Mori
03-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, it's 14 boxes of six. That's 84 packages of frosted crackers for 30 bucks.

You can't get that kind of value out of Pocky here in NYC, you can get maybe 10 of the smaller boxes of Pocky for that much. Possibly 20 or 30 if you go to the right place, but certainly not 84.

Ah, I didn't see that.

But, yes, it's true. You get, like, 10 boxes of pocky for that, which is ridiculous. It's not even good.

I could make my own damn pocky.

Aizmov
03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm surprised pocky or whatever came first hasn't patented and copyrighted the snack. Food can be copyrighted and patented, and if not it should be!
I'm not sure about software patents, but I'm sure about food patents. I could be wrong on both though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm surprised pocky or whatever came first hasn't patented and copyrighted the snack. Food can be copyrighted and patented, and if not it should be!
I'm not sure about software patents, but I'm sure about food patents. I could be wrong on both though.

In America at least Pocky has to prove originality, and that's the rock on which the boat flounders.