PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Game

KhronoBM
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Since I saw an overrated video game thread I thought I might do an underrated video game thread.

So any answers to my question of the most underrated game/s?

Vasarian
02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I have no specific games in mind.. but I think that most of DS games are underrated... I have so much fun with some of them... and almost 90% of the DS games can't even get a 8/10 by game reviews website.

Bulf
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Monkey Ball. Everyone who lives around here says its complete crap, but I like 1, 2, and Banana Blitz (I don't like Adventure too much).

SGI
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Planescape: Torment

Probably the most well written narrative and game that I know. Unfortunately it's basically unknown nowdays (And very hard to find). It was critically acclaimed but often described as 'disgustingly undersold'.

If you are looking for a very intelligent game with a narrative that would rattle the boots off any Final Fantasy game give it a go.

Zenni-Kun
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I have no specific games in mind.. but I think that most of DS games are underrated... I have so much fun with some of them... and almost 90% of the DS games can't even get a 8/10 by game reviews website.

I agree, it feels like the only real thing keeping the DS afloat are the pokemon games that little kids can't resist

Vamvor
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. It has a few flaws, but it is still a good game. It deserves more credit than it is given. Same goes for Tales of Legendia.

Silent Hill: Homecoming is underrated. Granted, Pyramid Head's presence is unnecessary and its battle system is clunky. However, it is still a great game. It has a rich plot and succeeds in delivering the psychological horror that the Silent Hill series is famous for.

Clock Tower 3 is frowned upon by many people. Personally, I enjoyed it and think that it deserves more credit than it is given.

Little Hina
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm gonna have to say Pokémon...

Everyone kinda brushes it aside and labels it as a little kid's game, but it's so much fun! I'm almost in high school and I still love it <3

Vasarian
02-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm gonna have to say Pokémon...

Everyone kinda brushes it aside and labels it as a little kid's game, but it's so much fun! I'm almost in high school and I still love it <3

You are right... pokémon games are seen as 5 years old kids... but I had so much fun with the originals ones. I haven't played for about 7-8 years... so I can't really talk for most recent games tought.

StarryStarryNight25
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Gutair Hero is just getting old and any DDR games or boring.

KhronoBM
02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Gutair Hero is just getting old and any DDR games or boring.

How's that relevant to underrated games?

Opinionated
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Galactic Civilizations II and Sins of a Solar Empire are both fantastic 4X strategy games, turn based and RTS, respectively. Big, beautiful, overlooked because everyone's obsessed with the same-old-same-old Civilization.

Foph
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM

I agree. Many aren't as well rated as they should be. Animal Crossing, Puzzle Quest, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, are all great ones I've tried out. I got bored with Nintendogs and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (both of the versions) after a while, but they were still good.

Teddy2116
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
DDR for sure only cause people are afraid to play it in public
but i love it i could care less who sees me playing it in the arcade

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Galactic Civilizations II and Sins of a Solar Empire are both fantastic 4X strategy games, turn based and RTS, respectively. Big, beautiful, overlooked because everyone's obsessed with the same-old-same-old Civilization.

I here that Gal Civ 2 is a bit better then it's younger brother, but that one really just made me want to break out MoO2. SoaSE doesn't sound like my 4x cup-of-tea.

On that note... Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is by and far the greatest 4x known to man, and nobody bought it. People suck.

The Governator
03-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Halo, I never hear anyone praise Halo.

Operation Flashpoint, anyone I know who has played it says it sucks, it doesn't you have to actually find cover and make sure you don't get hit, one head shot, your dead, one shot in the legs, you can only drag yourself around, arms get damaged, aiming is even harder, bullet physics come into play and you can't go toe-to-toe with a T-72, you have to have an entire squad using tactics and cover to defeat a single armoured unit.

People just don't like a challenge.

Aizmov
03-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Wild ARMs
Shin Megami Tensei

Xenogears specifically! I'm surprised no one is worshiping!

Eris
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
The Longest Journey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Journey) is underrated as hell. It's a point and click adventure game with emphasis on cut scenes and dialog. Extremely captivating and well written, but it requires (forbid the thought) a half decent attention span to get into. You can get it on steam for cheap money.

System Shock II is not as much underrated as it is forgotten.

Orta Honehone
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
FFXII; most "hardcore" Final Fantasy fans wouldnt even give this one a try; I did and it quickly became my favorite FF out there...

zorarock
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
well for starters
Body harvest 64
Wii music (sure it's not any thing special but it's still fun)

KhronoBM
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Medal of Honour: Airbourne I find quite underrated, people say it's crap, but I don't find it that bad, yes I found the thompson to have too much recoil but I went with the MP40.

Miss Moonlight
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
- Illusion of Gaia
- Terranigma

ichimoku_fanboy
03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
pretty much any Harvest Moon game, they arent that exiting, but they're strangely addictive...

another id have to say is Dreamscape: The Longest Journey

its way better than the first, mostly cuz of graphics, but the storyline is practically divine when it comes to game-scenarios...

its basically an interactive storyline, but its really diverse, and you dont have to feel pressured to do anything, in fact the funnest feature is just walking around a new area and examining everything, i think 60-70% of the things in the game you can examine, and thats really cool in my books ^_^

the cool thing is, is that you can make some choices that dont affect the general gameplay, but can change some dialogue throughout the game, if the consversation was significant enough, or even your character's viewpoints

its really cool, the only thing that would make it better is if it could be played through Virtual Reality helmets or whatever, that would be freakin sweet

Eris
03-06-2009, 05:34 AM
another id have to say is Dreamscape: The Longest Journey

its way better than the first, mostly cuz of graphics, but the storyline is practically divine when it comes to game-scenarios...

its basically an interactive storyline, but its really diverse, and you dont have to feel pressured to do anything, in fact the funnest feature is just walking around a new area and examining everything, i think 60-70% of the things in the game you can examine, and thats really cool in my books ^_^

the cool thing is, is that you can make some choices that dont affect the general gameplay, but can change some dialogue throughout the game, if the consversation was significant enough, or even your character's viewpoints

its really cool, the only thing that would make it better is if it could be played through Virtual Reality helmets or whatever, that would be freakin sweet

I think Dreamscape was only so-so compared to the original. Sure the original had dubious old school graphics, but what it didn't have was those ridiculous fighting scenes. Large amounts of the sucky parts about dreamscape is the consolificaiton and how it's dumbed down to fit a more mainstream audience.

Don't get me wrong, Dreamscape is still a genuinely good game, but it lives in the shadow of it's awesome predecessor TLJ.

demon-fayt
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Galactic Civilizations II and Sins of a Solar Empire are both fantastic 4X strategy games, turn based and RTS, respectively.

um....you DO realize that sins has some of the highest all around reviews for an RTS right?
my picks would be:
psi ops: the mindgate conspiracy (ps2)
Chaos legion (ps2...in my oppinion better than devil may cry 1&2)
almost all of the Heroes: of Might and Magic Games (great, great TBS series)
Mirrors Edge- yea, not alot of peole know about this game, and alot of people who do wont take a chance on it, but its superb!
Lost Winds (wii-ware)
Ephemeral Fantasia (ps2)- never heard of it? shame on you!!
any of the Klonoa games (2.5D side scrolling at its best)
Hunter: the Reckoning; Hunter the Reckoning: Redeamer- great titles for the x-box that are possibly the gratest multiplayer the last gen had to offer.....besides....
Guantlet: Dark Legacy (ps2)- how can you not enjoy hours of dungeon crawling with up to 3 other buddies all sittin around fightin fer loot and gettin mad that bozo over there shot/poisoned the food?

the F-Zero series (minus that crap-tastic GBA game 'grand prix')

and my favorite game of all time:
Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Story (ok, 2 games)- brings a tear to meh eye to see people dont appreciate the greatness these games have to offer. :(

tsujigiri15
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Deus Ex 2. Unlike many of the games above its not too old, but like a few of them, it suffers from comparison with its superb predecessor. To be fair D.E. was the best I ever played I think. I mean, normally I wouldnt play a game that length through 5 or 6 times...

But DE2 had some good ideas, and improved on its predecessor in a myriad of ways (well, you could say it did anyways). It wasnt the best game ever, and it suffered the 'ported to XBOX' factor for a pc gamer but it was much better than is generally acknoledged. Heres hoping dx3 is on par with the 1st though!

The Governator
03-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Mirrors Edge- yea, not alot of peole know about this game, and alot of people who do wont take a chance on it, but its superb!

the F-Zero series (minus that crap-tastic GBA game 'grand prix')

Um, I'm pretty sure Mirrors Edge got alot of notice and it has been rated pretty well by most reviewers, so its hardly Underrated.

And F-Zero is hardly underrated, its been going since the god-damn 16-Bit era, most game franchise don't go on that long and stay has awesome as F-zero, unlike Mario which has rotted to a pulp of brown liquid mush on the floor.

KhronoBM
03-07-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm thinking if Fire Emblem is underrated, not many people know alot about it until SSBM, but I can't judge any further because I haven't played the game

I've heared from some people that Sonic '06 is underrated, they say without the glitches and horrible loading time it would have been a good game without problems. But for the most part I agree, on youtube people say i sucks because they've seen people's reviews on it (such as DarknesstheCurse's review or HellfireComms' commentary on it) and officially say it sucks.

The Lone Shadow
03-07-2009, 07:20 AM
the Jak games. Sure, they have an actual fanbase but they are pretty underestimated. Whos the last person who came up to you saying "Daxter is so funny!" or "Jak and Daxter games are pure WIN"?

Yeah, i thought so