PDA

View Full Version : A song I made..

Honjo Kamatari
02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Well..I made a song recently.. I tried to make a calm jazz type song, but people keep telling me its not jazz at all. Can someone help me out with this? :[ Im not too good when it comes to how sub genres work within music, so perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/211449

Lenks
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Nah. This isn't jazz is the slightest.

Jazz songs are swung. Keeping a straight beat like that =/= jazz (eh, this is kinda hard to explain, though, because a basic foundation beat is always important). Common measures for a swing-like appearance are: 3/4, and anything that is /8 (like 6/8). Using 2/2 also helps with swinging because you're moving at a bit faster pace. Syncopation is also a big thing with jazz, so listen to some Scott Joplin to get a very good idea of what syncopation is. But as for a good jazz feel, check out Maynard Ferguson, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, and Duke Ellington. To get a good idea for drumming in jazz, check out Buddy Rich (who, IMO, is the greatest drummer who has ever graced the Earth).

But, in all honesty, you probably will not get much of a jazz sound coming from that program. From what was sampled, it's monotonic where hardly any room for creative pops and swinging style. The thing to remember is: jazz music is sporadic. Jazz musicians might write a piece with a basic template, but when they actually go up and perform it, it is nothing like what is written on the paper because they add in their own flair and personal touches on the song.

Honjo Kamatari
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Aw...shoot... well thanks for the info :] Ill certainly go look up those people now