PDA

View Full Version : What if the world completely revolved around computers?

MetalIsEternal
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
A perfect example would be in the Megaman Battle Network games. What if our world was similar. Life revolved around technology, all our workers (not including the tech people who do maintenance on the computer stuff, government people, scientists, etc.) were replaced by some form of A.I. and everything was connected by the Net. I think that would be pretty cool. What are your thoughts?

BDNguyen
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
It would make life easier, but humans would get very sloppy from the lack of work. It would also be a problem if there was a virus or bug in the A.I. Hell would just break loose.

Miss Moonlight
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
The world basically already does revolve around computers.

They are in cars, atm's, cellphones, PDA's, game systems, calculators, and many other things. This is already the digital age.

TheDesertFox
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Does the movie Terminator ring any bells

.Shino Aburame
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Ruled by Macintoshes, yes. =]

Eris
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
or Matrix

The matrix was a metaphor, and not a very good one at that.

DOOM!
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Ruled by Macintoshes, yes. =]
Actually, disabled people will be on the Macintosh side, simple people and employees on the Microsoft side, and government on the Linux side, because it just rules.

The matrix was a metaphor, and not a very good one at that.
Aside from that, perhaps Matrix meant that the real world outside the matrix could be a matrix itself.

kamaaina ^_^
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
i should have said, animatrix. the one when it talked about how the computers and robots lived side by side. then 1 robot "killed" a human. etc.

DOOM!
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
i should have said, animatrix. the one when it talked about how the computers and robots lived side by side. then 1 robot "killed" a human. etc.
Simply saying Animatrix=Anime+Matrix would have sufficed on this forum.

Eris
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Aside from that, perhaps Matrix meant that the real world outside the matrix could be a matrix itself.

The matrix attempts to be philosophical and "deep" by beating dead horses like brain in a vat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat).

Ramona Flowers
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought the world already did. o.0

other than the above movies; Wall-E.

.Shino Aburame
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM
The world would be peaceful if ran by Macintoshes.

Now for Mircrosoft. No wonder it would be bad. Viruses.

Eris
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
The world would be peaceful if ran by Macintoshes.

It would be peaceful and glossy but utterly unusable. You shouldn't have a desktop OS do a server OS' job.

DOOM!
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
The matrix attempts to be philosophical and "deep" by beating dead horses like brain in a vat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat).
Well it was better off being ambiguous, like in the first movie; gave you lots of ideas of what it may refer to. Then they made ": Reloaded" which got too deep into one of it's possible themes, but not one that stirred many a thinking mind's interests. It became disappointing and no one even cared to see the third movie. But it's still made it in history. I'm surprised /b/ didn't start as many memes off it as they did off other movies.

.Shino Aburame
02-10-2009, 04:53 PM
It would be peaceful and glossy but utterly unusable. You shouldn't have a desktop OS do a server OS' job.

Haha lol. Eh. Now Linux...that would be funny.

Datenshi
02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Which was, of course, a rather shameless rip of Tezuka Osamu's Bird of Fire.

Eris
02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Well it was better off being ambiguous, like in the first movie; gave you lots of ideas of what it may refer to. Then they made ": Reloaded" which got too deep into one of it's possible themes, but not one that stirred many a thinking mind's interests. It became disappointing and no one even cared to see the third movie.

The sequels are terrible, and the first movie is mediocre at best. In the bottom, the first movie is a decent film, but it tries (and fails) to be so much more.

Lenks
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
From an economical sense, bad, because we would lose so many jobs to robots. Why bother hiring fallible humans and pay them, but hire a robot for nothing that can do a job that humans can do?

While a sort of similar situation, it would somewhat turn into a Fahrenheit 451 scenario where we give up on actual reality because we are too engrossed in technology to ask, "Why? Why does this happen?" and whatever else Faber was talking about in the book. (Kinda. Not 100% the same, unless because of robots, people start watching too much TV, haha)

Eris
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
From an economical sense, bad, because we would lose so many jobs to robots. Why bother hiring fallible humans and pay them, but hire a robot for nothing that can do a job that humans can do?

This is only true in an economic system based on the notion that most people should work.

DOOM!
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Well it's everywhere and it's not communism. Even paper shoveling counts as as work. It's a system which connotes that everyone's existence needs to compensate something. In it, people's jobs mostly determine who or what they are.
But I've been around robots and I can say for sure that every robot worker will need a supervisor, so, your job, and that of illegal aliens is secure.

Eris
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Well it's everywhere and it's not communism. Even paper shoveling counts as as work. It's a system which connotes that everyone's existence needs to compensate something. In it, people's jobs mostly determine who or what they are.
But I've been around robots and I can say for sure that every robot worker will need a supervisor, so, your job, and that of illegal aliens is secure.

That is today's robots. Artificial intelligence is striding forward at an alarming rate, and so is robotics.

Cancre
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Isnt it already

Diocletian
02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
TEENAGERS revolve around computers. How many teenagers seriously need cellphones? What for to text "OMG RODNEY IS SO CUTE!" in class?

I can live without, I just choose not to.

DOOM!
02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
That is today's robots. Artificial intelligence is striding forward at an alarming rate, and so is robotics.
Hey, robots shouldn't be fully operational in all perspectives of a work's field. Like I said, work makes people what they are as: parents, models, friends, enemies, sex mates, drivers, negotiators, etc. and the other way around.
Who and why would build a robot that would relish all the fringe benefits a human can gain from his work? Why would a plumber let a robot pipe the customer too, besides his/her water pipes? Why would a roman catholic priest leave the children to a robot? Why would a psychiatrist let a robot fap to a patient's happenings/dreams/fantasies?

I know, I'm trying to be be rational but am just rudimentary. Lemme be random.
In a world ruled by computers, you would crap in bags. Cybering 14 year olds will be more worth the jail. Bullies would no longer beat you up at school, because your Pokemon is level 80! There would be cancer for everything, like toenail cancer, nosehair cancer, appendix cancer, zit cancer, cancery cancer, boot cancer, shirt cancer, computer cancer... Your couch would have internet connection and biological fluid drainage. Killing your wife, kids and self through Maple Story of other RPGs won't be weird and won't appear on SGI News anymore. The Funnies jokes will be like this: "45Hz were enough."

Diocletian
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey, robots shouldn't be fully operational in all perspectives of a work's field. Like I said, work makes people what they are as: parents, models, friends, enemies, sex mates, drivers, negotiators, etc. and the other way around.
Who and why would build a robot that would relish all the fringe benefits a human can gain from his work? Why would a plumber let a robot pipe the customer too, besides his/her water pipes? Why would a roman catholic priest leave the children to a robot? Why would a psychiatrist let a robot fap to a patient's happenings/dreams/fantasies?

I know, I'm trying to be be rational but am just rudimentary. Lemme be random.
In a world ruled by computers, you would crap in bags. Cybering 14 year olds will be more worth the jail. Bullies would no longer beat you up at school, because your Pokemon is level 80! There would be cancer for everything, like toenail cancer, nosehair cancer, appendix cancer, zit cancer, cancery cancer, boot cancer, shirt cancer, computer cancer... Your couch would have internet connection and biological fluid drainage. Killing your wife, kids and self through Maple Story of other RPGs won't be weird and won't appear on SGI News anymore. The Funnies jokes will be like this: "45Hz were enough."

Keep in mind if history has taught us anything it's that humanity does not care for robots. To us they will be less than insects. I say the minute that they start to revolt we go back to robot slavery and lower their wages. I don't care how many children they have, they have no rights as far as I'm concerned.

Damn, robot scraps.

Saikoro
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
It would be pretty cool thi first hundred years or so, but then people would turn into exactly what the movie wall-e was. :\

3pleT
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
The sequels are terrible, and the first movie is mediocre at best. In the bottom, the first movie is a decent film, but it tries (and fails) to be so much more.
yeah, i know many people who say so and yet the only arguments they can come up with are "it lacks depth/meaning/younameit" or "it's confusing" (the confused ones are, sadly, no longer among us to repeat this statement). i say it's one of those movies you watch for fun and nothing more. the sequels could match the original with one key ingredient: foreshadowing. this way they're basically a half hour worth of special effects on 2 DVDs + soundtrack.
1: 4/5
2: 2/5
3: 1/5

Tetsanosuke
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Successful troll would be successful on more then just something that's serious business, it would be the 'only' business.

What about virtual reality, sending our minds into cyberspace? (/sci-fi) It makes me wonder if the 'trauma' of dieing in the virtual world could possible kill your brain, then your body? Huh. A world of all A.I. might be convenient, but then it gives a lot of us (moar of a) reason to be lazy (At the extreme).

Baka
02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
It kind of already does. There are chips in all sorts of devices, (such as cell phones), that many of us will admit to not being able to live without. I just can't wait til I recieve data directly to my brain via wifi.

Haoie
02-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Hello Matrix.

A distant vision, or inevitable future?