PDA

View Full Version : Quiting

Kenata Kisu
02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
well i have no clue if i spelled the title right but what ever.

Well i was wondering, if you've been in a sport (or whatever) for a very long time (let's say 8-9 years) and you start to think that you may wanna try some thing different. But you don't wanna think that all your hard work was for nothing, what should you do?

I thought of this cause my best friend Nikki says that she might quit gymnastics and shes been in it for 8 years. maybe she should or maybe she shouldn't i don't know, i'm just confused... X)

TheDesertFox
02-08-2009, 12:47 AM
If your friend wants to quit and try new things, then more power to them. If they decide that new things aren't right for them then they'll have to keep trying till they find something they like.

Pina Colada
02-08-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't know...I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years, and I quit, and I seriously regret it. I miss it tremendously

TheDesertFox
02-08-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't know...I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years, and I quit, and I seriously regret it. I miss it tremendously

But did you ever find something else that you love to do?

Pina Colada
02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
No, otherwise I wouldn't have regretted it so much. I tried Theatre and I liked it, but I've realized that Swimming was one of my real passions.

TheDesertFox
02-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Oh I see i guess I wouldn't know, the only thing I'v done is play football for about 13 years but never really felt like doing anything else.

Gjallarhorn
02-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Ah, I've been through this before.

I ran competitively for 7 years, my team won two state championships, and I was probably top 5% in the state. I stopped running before college so I could work and focus on classes.

I still regret it, yeah, but I don't think it was all for naught. I got a lot of valuable life experience and all that crap, and it's a pretty defining part of who I am.

If your friend feels the time has come when she needs to stop doing gymnastics, be it that she has other things she wants to do or it just isn't that much fun anymore, it's probably best for her to keep with her decision. You can't go deciding your friends' hobbies.

Cancre
02-08-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm starting Violin , And I plan on doing it for the rest of my life .. . and if i ever feel like quitting I'll just listen to all the anime music with violin in it and remember why I started . but when you quit something you've been doing for ages , sign up for something thats practically the same , that way it's kinda new but still different .

Kojack
02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I was all about the Taekwondo for 9 years, but I quit two years ago for university. I had a great time, but I don't regret it. I was at a point where I had to decide whether or not to make the martial art a life commitment; I achieved my goal of 1st dan black belt and I knew I wasn't able to dedicate myself to get the other eight (nine, possibly).

But yeah, I don't regret it. Life experience, stories to brag with, etc. The hard work put into a hobby isn't for naught; a long-term hobby shapes who you are and how you think, and it gives you knowledge which you may need some day. Also, stories to brag with.

Acnologia
02-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, I was in soccer for many years and had to quit because my father had surgery. I miss it, yes, but after awhile it isn't that bad. I find it's much more fun to just do things casually without being told how/what to do.

RayCaptain
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
It's almost a lose lose situation...If don't quit you might slowly begin to dislike whatever you're doing. You'll stop practicing some and everytime you try won't be 110%. On the other hand, if you quit and don't like what you tried then it might turn out that you're stuck. I'd suggest think about everything logicaly. Weigh the pros and the cons for each and then decide.

Diocletian
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Never. I have never quit on anything in my life. I have stopped football though because of bad grades, but I have all A's and B's again so I should start again next year.

Kenata Kisu
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I still think that she should stay in it, what if something happens becuase she has so much free time. that would not end very pleasently

Baka
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Sometimes people just lose the passion for things they once loved. If they want to try new things then they should. They can always go beck to what they used to do if they want to.

Sasori|Eternal Sacrifice|
03-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Only sport I ever tried was Tennis. Would have stayed in it, but the coach overworked the new teammates. As in, I almost fainted from over-exhaustion. So I quit.

Never really tried anything else. Not sport-wise anyway. Tried guitar, wasn't really my thing. Drums runs in the family anyway, might try that.