PDA

View Full Version : Any normal Anime out there?

nynashorts
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I know I'm committing heresy by saying this but I have a low tolerance for 'extreme' anime. That is, ridiculously colorful hair, eyes as big as softballs, and (shudders) magic. There are some things that I 'can' tolerate (like lucky star because the plot is normal) but magical animes or robot animes, I cannot. So, I've basically cut out 99 percent of all the anime out there lol. Can some people recommend some regular anime for me? Anime that has normal looking anime characters (i.e studio Ghibli type anime). I have somewhat of a tolerance for magic because I do love Miyazaki's work but right now I feel like watching anime with characters I can identify with. Characters that go to school and have normal troubles and (dare I say it?) actually worry about getting fat. They don't need to save the world or find the dragon stone of chingchongchang on castle mountain. Just worry about, Ya know, NORMAL troubles. And even if they do have magic, can I get asian anime where the characters actually look asian?

BDNguyen
02-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I know what you're saying. I recommend Azumanga Daioh. It's pretty "normal".

nynashorts
02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Lol actually that was previously recommended to me as well. They kind of bounce off the walls. Too crazy for me. I'm thinking of an anime that sticks within the perimeters of reality as we know it. I hope that makes a little bit of sense. Like NANA!

n3r0123
02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
try "Beck" or "Slam Dunk" those are os normal as it can get (heehm anime is not normal at all XD)
or Suzuka...

nynashorts
02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Beck looks good.

BDNguyen
02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Okay in that case, try Ai Yori Aoshi, or True Tears. There's no hammer space, no getting hurt without actually getting hurt, and no defying of the laws of physics.

Persistance
02-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Your taste are pretty refined. You know what you want and you'll stick by it. Sounds to me you like school life or "real" life animes. Things such as romance and drama or school life. Off the top of my head I have Clannad, Ichigo 100%, Kanon and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Oh and the all too popular Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). Nothing TOO supernatural about the above except for Haruhi Suzumiya which has elements of aliens, esper, time-travelers and giant blue giants.

I've thought of more just now. Da Capo, Strawberry Panic, Ouran Highschool, Prince of Tennis and there's a lot more but I'll stop. Personally I've never watched any of those just mentioned but I'm sure there what you're looking for. Most of those have been suggested by friends but I've never given much thought to them. Good luck.

atoms2ashes
02-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I recommend School Rumble. It is very similar to Azumanga Daioh, except it has some strange elements not normal.

Like a male student suddenly growing a beard and moustache. Dream sequences. And many more.

There's also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but It's not very normal at all...Except for Nami, maybe.

wildflowr
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I think you'll still be able to find a wide selection of anime in that remaining 1 percent. You may be interested in Whisper of the Heart, Maison Ikkoku, Genshiken, or Rumiko Takahashi's Anthology (it has some magic in there but most of them are very "slice of life"). There's also Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) but it loses its momentum at the end after they lost the original director. I hope some of that works for you.

atoms2ashes
02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Let me also recommend Yakitate Japan. I used to watch that all the time!

The Grey Crane
02-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Azumanga Daioh and School Rumble ain't "normal". Anyway, it seems like the OP is looking for Slice-of-Life titles and other stuff which offers realistic plots and characters. I'm going to name three in each category that i make. And yeah Beck is good...

Anime with more realistic character designs:

-Crying Freeman is a crime/action/martial arts show about an assassin serving a Chinese mafia.
-Sanctuary is an acclaimed crime drama in Japan which follows the story of two childhood friends vying for power.
-Slam Dunk is another acclaimed title about basketball and school life, struggles and successes are ever-present. It offers great character development and realism.
(for more realistic character designs check out Ryoichi Ikegami's works)

Anime with real struggles and such:

-Yawara! A Fashionable Judo girl is a sport/romance/comedy about a girl dreaming to live a normal life... However she is forced to practice Judo because of her scary potential in it.
-Monster is a psychological anime that follows the story of a doctor trying to pursue a criminal he once saved medically.
-Human Scramble is an episodic slice-of-life anime about human relationships. No free-flowing story here though...

School-related anime:

-Boys Be is my favorite romance anime. It offers the normal you-know-whats that people usually experience during their school years such as teenage love, trying to fit in, yadda-yadda.
-Hachimitsu to Clover is quite same with Boys Be, it is mostly set in art school. Most people i know likes it more than the previosuly mentioned.
-Nodame Cantabile is a music-related anime about an extremely talented yet "unorthodox" piano student.

Sports:

-Capeta is a racing-themed anime about a boy and his father trying to enter the big league of go-kart racing while trying to make ends meet.
-Major is a baseball-themed anime which follows the life of a young man (from his EARLY CHILDHOOD into ADULTHOOD) and his rise to prominence in his chosen sport which is baseball.
-Hajime no Ippo (and Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger) is an anime about boxing. It follows a poor high school student's rise to prominence in boxing while experiencing financial troubles and other hardships along the way.

You could also check out the "softer" classical literature-based anime such as:

-Little Women
-Princess Sarah
-3000 leagues in search of mother

Haoie
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Looks like normal anime is really abnormally hard to find.

The Grey Crane
02-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Looks like normal anime is really abnormally hard to find.

Not really. "Normal" anime is much more common than anime with ninjas and such.

Datenshi
02-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Try 5 Centimeters Per Second. It's a normal anime about a normal guy having normal problems about love, drawn with extraordinary artwork.

loveyourfate
02-08-2009, 06:27 AM
'Kyou no go no ni' (today in class 5-2)is pretty good. Follows the life of a boy in fifth grade (primary school) and how they behave (which is funny yet pretty realistic).
others I think are pretty good:
- lovely complex
- honey and clover
- Da capo
- Onegai sensei (please teacher)

kenji174
02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I say Salaryman Kintaro is pretty normal

RJ169
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome to NHK is normal ( i guess)

Familiar
02-12-2009, 03:36 AM
I strongly recommend trying Genshiken, It's a pretty normal slice of life anime.

Dr. Hax
02-12-2009, 07:00 AM
I recommend School Rumble. It is very similar to Azumanga Daioh, except it has some strange elements not normal.

Like a male student suddenly growing a beard and moustache. Dream sequences. And many more.

There's also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but It's not very normal at all...Except for Nami, maybe.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/psy2012/HitouNami02_resize.jpg

No anime is truly "normal". I mean, yeah the storyline in a lot of slice of life series is kind of nice but without the softball-like eyes and other such stuff, I doubt there is really any comedic value, even if the series isn't revolving around comedy.

Honestly..."normal"?

JIMBO.
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
GTO, he's as normal as biker teachers get

side from that the reason I watch anime is cause its not normal

Rosedoll
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Judging on what you are looking for, I would recommend some slice of life series. "Honey and Clover" would be my first choice, and "Nodame Cantabile" (if you are a music fan?). Realistic issues, settings, and no wild hair colours. The characters are easy to relate to, and the animation is one of the best I've seen. (Both animated by J.C Staff)

Mowick
02-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Anime isn't for you then my friend.

Interpreter
02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
..Normal? Well, try Da Capo [why is so people many recommending it? ;D] and also perhaps you can watch Prince of Tennis. If you don't mind incest, Boku wa Imouto koi wo Soru is actually kinda interesting too.

Magical Soul
02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Wait, what is a normal Anime? I like FMA.

Videlreyes
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
You should watch "Host Club" its about high school, plus its funny, but its not too crazy tho. you might like it.

Sickness
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (comedy)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=155
Dennō Coil (virtual reality)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6278

Evockzi
02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Only one I can think of that I have watched within these perimeter's is: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Very good Anime, nothing out of the normal but not sure what I would classify it as.... Tragedy/Real Life I guess...

kajikun16
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
love hina,lovely complex,boys be are some titles i can recommend you with

Zahnhauser
02-21-2009, 02:18 AM
You're Under Arrest! - Follows the trials and tribulations of two female police officers and their co-workers

School Rumble - High School romance story with a heavy dosage of high octane comedy

Ouran High School Host Club - a parody of the High School Romance/Harem genre

Monster - psychological-horror at its finest

Ghost Hunt - does have supernatural elements, but still enjoyable (one of the few series to actualy creep me out)

Kure-nai - have not watched all of it, but it seemed "normal" from what I did see

Bamboo Blade - all about a High School Kendo Club

danparker
03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
My best guess for normal anime would be Kirarin Revolution and Hamtaro.