PDA

View Full Version : Cracks

SGI
11-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Ahh controversial discussions. Lets talk about Cracks, we have all most certainly used cracks at one time or another. Cracks tend to fall into 2 categories, Registering and No CD. We are talking about the no CD cracks, since they are a bit of a grey area morally.

I find the issue of the use of cracks to be very interesting. Seriously, one of my pet peeves when buying a game is when after you’ve spent that time installing several gig on to you hard drive (Neverwinter Nights, that means you) only to be asked to insert the CD just so it can be verified.

So for just about every game I own (Legitimately, I’m not a warez monkey, although I admit I have delved into this field a few times) I crack it. And frankly I don’t care, CD verification is a waste of processes, and it scratches the hell out of a CD giving it needless wear and tear.

So tell me, what are your feelings on cracks?

Daenerys
11-11-2003, 11:49 PM
They are a very good thing.

....Very good.

Without it...! I wouldn't be able to play Warcraft Online.

Isamu Hajime
11-12-2003, 01:46 AM
well, i agree with SGI about the annoying cd thing everytime you want to play a game. it becomes most annoying when im at a LAN party and we like to play lots of different games. it's also annoying when you have to carry a big cd case.

Daenerys
11-12-2003, 02:46 AM
I think they should get rid of the whole CD Key crap.

Cause first off... you can just crack it.

Second off, it makes me not want to buy those games. :D

spider-man-old
11-12-2003, 02:54 AM
I hate haveing to use the cd every time I want to play a game on the comp.... long live the consoles.

Daenerys
11-12-2003, 05:37 AM
Yeah, like that one game, Alice...

spider-man-old
11-12-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't know where it is I think Rani has it... either that or it is in my laptop case... *goes and checks laptop case* nope not there....

Regex
11-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by we are... radditz?@Nov 12 2003, 03:48 AM
I hate haveing to use the cd every time I want to play a game on the comp.... long live the consoles.
That is the most backwards, oxymoronic thing I've seen all... this hour o_o;
You hate having to put a cd in, so consoles are better? Where you always have to put a cd in?

Anyway, as a software developer, I kind of have an affinity for leaving software as is, unless I absolutely have to dig into the program and change things. For the record, cracking the cd verification does not save you enough process time to be mentioned. Not even on Ai's computer. Just saves you the time of finding your cd. And furthermore, I don't know how you treat your cd's in your cd-rom drive, but my cd's don't get scratched when I use them. The point of the optical format was to minimize the cd's contact with anything moving.

The fact is, cd verification and the cd keys are there for one purpose: To discourage piracy. Granted, nothing is going to completely stop piracy, but it's a fair deterrent. There are still many people out there who don't know how to find cracks (or even realize they exist), and this keeps those people from just handing their cd out to everyone they know because they don't know any better that it's illegal. Yes, this happens; I see it all the time. If you want to get away with not paying for your game, at least go through the effort of running a program to patch the program, proving that you know that you're pirating. And if you're not pirating it, and you just want to save yourself the time of putting the cd in, well, I'm not sure why you dislike that so much, but to each his own.

As for making you not want to buy the games, I'm not convinced that's true. I used to not have a job, and I wouldn't buy games then, because I was poor. Nowadays, my view has changed slightly.. I feel that if a game is worth playing a lot, then it's worth paying for. The people who write the software do need to make money, and I am happy to do my part in giving them the credit for the fine piece of work that they have created. I tend to view good software more as a form of art than anything. And many of the best artists out there (as far as pictures go) don't get any monetary recognition for what they do, and I think it would be great if that could be changed. But the artists who make music and TV and movies are all providing a service for others, so it's much easier for them.

And those of you who are not pirating games, who just like to not have to put the cd in (I think this applies to all of you), I don't feel that putting the cd in is that big of a deal, but to each his own. In my case, again, I see software as an art form, and I feel kind of bad changing their masterpiece. It's never been a problem for me to carry around my cd case of my games to LAN parties. It fits in my bag with all my peripherals anyway.

While I don't see cracks as being an evil in the world, I also don't see them as being necessary or particularly good things.

Daenerys
11-12-2003, 12:04 PM
I read like, the insult against Cody, and then I got lazy and decided the rest of your post wasn't worth reading.

I agree with Cody on the console thing, because it's completely different. You have the game on your computer, you have to insert a CD, or a CD code, everytime you play it, and play it online.

It's not like that with a playstation or etc.

You just have the CD, and when you restart the game, you don't have to re-enter the CD. Or the Code.

/Aifa|
11-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Cracks are like compulsory for any PC gamer who has more than one game installed. And also, being told to submit my cd everytime i decide to run a game reminds me of the fact that i have to 'pay' in order to play, as if paying 90 dollars wasnt enough. It also makes me feel inferior at the very extreme, because my pc is giving me orders.

And for the teen gamer like myself, theres nothing worser than your parents catching you playing pc games way too late (im talking 2am) just because of a damn noisy cd drive that found the urge to spin itself at speeds of 52x in the middle of your game just to verify AGAIN if you had the game cd in the drive.

So yeah, i say cracks are good. we should start a revolution that makes cracks at the very least included in retail packages.

Isamu Hajime
11-16-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Aifa@Nov 15 2003, 09:00 PM
So yeah, i say cracks are good. we should start a revolution that makes cracks at the very least included in retail packages.
this goes back to Member's original idea that if you include patches, even the crack-illiterate people will have the power to share the game and piracy spreads that much more faster and wider.

i think in the end it depends on one's own morality. i do agree with Member that if i do like a game enough when i dl to try it out, i do go out and buy it.

Regex
11-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Some of these games actually do access the cd for good reasons. Sometimes they will keep files on the cd to reduce installation space. And since you'll be putting the cd in anyway...

But what I wanna know is... Does your cd rom drive really wake your parents up? I've never had my 52x cd rom drive get THAT loud. Whether or not you're playing at 2:00 am, that's gotta be darn irritating. I feel kinda bad for you there.

spider-man-old
11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
I had a very loud cd drive when I had the pentium 3.... it's just like any other product out there sometimes you get a loud one for no reason, at least thats what the manufacturers like to say.

Also member name... do you live in the video game section. I figure since you're job as affor mentioned is involved in video games One would think you would not want to talk about work when you are not at work ... just strikes me as odd.

Regex
11-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Arr, I may have misled you there. I don't work in video games; I'm just a software developer. And while I don't necessarilly enjoy talking about work, I do love talking about computers or programming or most anything related. I may have a somewhat unhealthy affinity for computers, but at least that makes the rest of my job bearable.

And yeah, I kind of go through the video games section more than the others, because it's something I know a lot about. Originally I asked to moderate here, but Kaitou needed someone in General Anime...

Daenerys
11-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Aaron might as well work in videogames, it's all he ever talks about XD

But actually, when I had the desktop computer in my room, it'd wake up my brother sometimes.

And when I'd use it in the early morning in my mom's room, she'd never wake up... But then again, she can sleep through ANYTHING. I tripped over the rug in the living room this morning and slammed my head on the coffeetable, and screamed "OW --cussword, cussword--" And she just stirred. and I was all "MOM! OW." And she's all "eh?"

So I'd say it depends on if your computer sucks, and if your parents are light sleepers.

Isamu Hajime
11-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Member Name@Nov 18 2003, 01:07 AM
And yeah, I kind of go through the video games section more than the others, because it's something I know a lot about. Originally I asked to moderate here, but Kaitou needed someone in General Anime...
yeah, favoritism sucks =P

/Aifa|
11-23-2003, 04:42 AM
this goes back to Member's original idea that if you include patches, even the crack-illiterate people will have the power to share the game and piracy spreads that much more faster and wider.
I guess things are good enough the way they are. But if they make cracks illegal, then im starting that revolution. :ph34r:

Some of these games actually do access the cd for good reasons. Sometimes they will keep files on the cd to reduce installation space. And since you'll be putting the cd in anyway...

But what I wanna know is... Does your cd rom drive really wake your parents up? I've never had my 52x cd rom drive get THAT loud. Whether or not you're playing at 2:00 am, that's gotta be darn irritating. I feel kinda bad for you there.
I bet game developers have real l337 cd drives, well in any case, thats a perfect reason to why my pc keeps running my cd everytime i load a level in a game.

But my internet didnt work for some time so it was hard to get cracks, meaning i had to leave 2 game cds slotted into my dvd-rom and cd-burner drives so i could play games with little preparation. My PC layout is noisy since my cd drives make a lot of noise, my fan is noisy, my scanner makes random noises, same for my printer, and my subwoofer blows dust everywhere, and do you have any idea how noisy dust is when it impacts onto a surface?! (im just exagerating at this point).

Oh, and as for my nosey parents.... they dont sleep.